PDA

View Full Version : Hosting A Vent Server For Everyone

Supercat
07-11-06, 17:28
i got an idea how would everyone like to share a vent server
? clans etc and we make arrangements for payments or something? why not get everyone on vent and only clan leader having vent admin?

Glok
07-11-06, 17:33
Most are on vent already they just don't share out of clan (neither access or the existence of the server in many cases)

BaDDaSS
07-11-06, 17:33
I like the idea of one big Vent server, with all the clans on it.
But it won't happen.

Clans already rent their own servers.

Faid
07-11-06, 17:38
This idea would be cool for communication between clans but unfortunately theres too many idiots playing who would just ruin it. Its the same reason we cant have player run auctions.

silent000
07-11-06, 17:46
Its a very good idea and i have said to my clan [eXL] we shud get more ppl on our vent server but as Faid said there are some real dickheads in the community ( sorry :( ) but maybe give it a go.....ill connect often enough

Glok
07-11-06, 17:49
Oh I read wrong, a community-wide server with clan channels and such? That would be cool.. but it would be chaotic as all hell.. :lol:

Chimp
07-11-06, 18:09
Wouldnt be chaotic.. just disable phonetics, and PW protect all clan channels. Good idea IMO

Glok
07-11-06, 18:15
What's the difference from what we have now then? Unless there is a public channel, and it would be chaotic as I said. If not, why bother?

Pantho
07-11-06, 18:42
What's the difference from what we have now then? Unless there is a public channel, and it would be chaotic as I said. If not, why bother?

Because i could come laugh at Andy when i kill him :)- DIE CREAM DIE!

It would be fun, with passworded vents , and cheap when you think about how much each server costs us..

But..... there would have to be multiple public channels tbh

Glok
07-11-06, 18:49
Yeah multiple public channels. TBH I would actually donate and use the thing.. I'm currently trying to decide how I want to go about setting up a server, this would work nicely. :)

naphead
07-11-06, 20:03
I love the idea of Vent or TS. Ive used in the past and I use it today, but I can't stand to be on a public server. Too many assholes and too many crying teenagers running off at the mouth talking l337. That shit gets annoying as hell!

I've actually heard this on Vent server: (Example only)
"They fuckin' suck TBH! I'm going to KOS his ass!" <---Saying T.B.H. and not to be honest, but T.B.H. Good god that drives me up the wall. How fucking lazy do you have to be that you can't just say that shit. To Be Honest is an acronym now.

That's just a few examples of why I would never join a public Vent/TS server. I have my own server set that only my friends have access to.

BaDDaSS
07-11-06, 21:53
I still have a Vent server, and I could open it up to all the NC Community.

Only problem is it's the old skool version 2.1.4
Not the spangly blingy new Vent that you're all used to :P

I think we should all put a lil something in a donation box and start a NC Community Ventrilo Server.
Lets do it.™

pabz
07-11-06, 21:55
I have a 20 slot vent server I never use. Bit small but we could kick the non-speakers.

Edit: New version (vent)

TheJesterLives
08-11-06, 18:28
TheJester will come on ventrilo :)

silent000
08-11-06, 18:30
I know u all just wanna talk to teh cream cracker :D im loveable and amazing!

TheJesterLives
08-11-06, 18:35
I know u all just wanna talk to teh cream cracker :D im loveable and amazing!

I hate British people

Joking

NC Junkie aka JESTER knows how I am on ventrilo, in his words "You loud ass Yank!!"

npinchot
08-11-06, 19:35
i got an idea how would everyone like to share a vent server
? clans etc and we make arrangements for payments or something? why not get everyone on vent and only clan leader having vent admin?
sick idea
would make it a lot easier for clans to set up op battles & shit
could just ask how many ppl they got online instead of lookin at citicom & guessin how many might be afk
how we gonna set up the payments tho? i don't think most clans trust each other enough to paypal each other lol

pabz
08-11-06, 20:05
sick idea
would make it a lot easier for clans to set up op battles & shit
could just ask how many ppl they got online instead of lookin at citicom & guessin how many might be afk
how we gonna set up the payments tho? i don't think most clans trust each other enough to paypal each other lol
Hint* take the 20 slot xD

Glok
08-11-06, 20:23
pabz that would be good as a hoponhopoff thing for setting shit up but for this we would need maybe 1000 slots? more? You know what I have webspace with 200GB/mo transfer atm, I could easily upgrade it and get more.. I'm willing to do that if someone tell me how to set up a vent server on it (I'll buy the license too)

pabz
08-11-06, 20:26
Personally I wouldnt see a 1000 people ever on a vent :angel: With neocron you are lucky with a active 6-7 people on vent. But glok your idea is good. Would help for a larger day to day use.

Glok
08-11-06, 20:36
Well it would all be portioned to clans and individual/public channels... you won't have 1000 people all saying 'HAHAHAHA!' all at the same time. That would make anyone's head explode probably. I'm just going by the original post, a vent server with channels for the entire community. Only thing is I have the webspace (everything available, MySQL etc) but I don't know how to run vent and don't really want to either. I'll just provide hosting. :)

nobby
08-11-06, 20:47
Nobby'll donate £5 :)

Nobby needs company, so I'd use it :p

Glok
08-11-06, 20:54
No need nobby, I'll buy the licence and provide the webspace... I just want someone(s) else to run it.

Chimp
08-11-06, 21:09
@ Glok: If its webspace you own.. You cant host a vent server off of it i think. You need to have a server in your house or know someone... or pay a shitload for a 200+ slot server 8|

Glok
08-11-06, 21:11
My host has everything available, including stuff like vent. I just don't know how to do it. :p

silent000
08-11-06, 21:16
At peak times the eXL ventrillo server has up to 15 active ppl on.....right now we have 8 people on vent.

And i dont have a clue bout setting up a vent server but i can ask around all my know-it-all freinds *cough* steven *cough* see if they know a solution.

BaDDaSS
08-11-06, 21:39
I can setup an old vent server for you. It isn't fully legit though.
It works fine, you can have channels etc, it just misses the latest bling features like PMing.

For version 2.30 you have to 'rent' a server from one of the official Ventrilo licensed vendors (http://www.ventrilo.com/hosting.php) :/

www.ventriloservers.biz is the cheapest I've managed to find so far

Glok
09-11-06, 07:28
For version 2.30 you have to 'rent' a server from one of the official Ventrilo licensed vendors (http://www.ventrilo.com/hosting.php) :/As in, that's the only way? That's a bit dumb. :(

SizZLeR
09-11-06, 10:42
The idea will sure bring some advantages, but when did anyone see something like this that actually worked an everyone stayed happy with it?

I mean its pretty obvious that if someone has to be registered to that server and pay for it, then he will xp payments from the clans not comming on time and stuff like that...

Also sooner or later some of the "tennants/clans" might become unsatisfied either with the server or the guy who rents it, so theyll drop out and then every other clan will have to pay a little more rent and so forth.

Mistrust would prolly be a problem also, ppl in the clans would start wonder if the registrant of the server is overcharging them.

Then what if there becomes an upgrade available (or something like that) for the server, and some wants it to stay as it is and some dont, ok then u vote and unless the votes are either 100% pro or con, it means that some clan(s) is unsatisfied and dropping out because they dont wanna pay that xtra for something they dont use etc etc etc...

I just checked some prices on ventrilo hosting and it shows like 25 users is $12/month and 50 users is $20/month, i mean if a clan has like 30 members, they each have to donate $0.6/month which i dont see how anyone would not be able to afford. ;)

BaDDaSS
12-11-06, 16:15
Okay we have a server online.

IP: 212.111.50.230
Port: 3784 (Default)

If you want a clan channel, just ask PM me and I'll have it setup straight away.

We're using Ventrilo 2.1.4 (which you can use without uninstalling the newer 2.3.0, it runs from a seperate folder).

You can download it here (http://www.techhaven.org/downloads/task,cat_view/gid,8/).

There's enough space on this server for the whole of NC2 Community :)

Brammers
12-11-06, 16:26
A little note if you log onto multiple vent server versions. I think 2.3 has a habbit of wiping older versions passwords out, so make sure you know your passwords!

Pantho
12-11-06, 16:30
A little note if you log onto multiple vent server versions. I think 2.3 has a habbit of wiping older versions passwords out, so make sure you know your passwords!

i have in my memory

4 vent passwords
then the passwords for every channel :/

Faid
12-11-06, 19:43
You also have the habbit of frequently speaking on the wrong vent replying to a question from a different vent :lol:

BaDDaSS
12-11-06, 19:48
How on Earth do you open two Vents at the same time :s

Drakoh
12-11-06, 19:54
use ventrilomix its got vent 2.1 2.2 2.3 and teamspeak all in one prog, and saves all your passwords/channels/servers for ya

blackpheonix
14-11-06, 04:09
use ventrilomix its got vent 2.1 2.2 2.3 and teamspeak all in one prog, and saves all your passwords/channels/servers for ya

vent mix is great ( Click Me to Download (http://www.techhaven.org/downloads/task,doc_download/gid,18/) ) but it can get annoying pantho used to do it constantly then i started to do it talking on the wrong vent :p its funneh tho coz ppl are like wtf :p we had a bind set up for pantho that when he spoke on wrong vent it would say "wrong fucking vent" :p

Edit : even with vent mix your passwords may mysteriously disappear so save 'em somewhere

Pantho
14-11-06, 04:15
vent mix is great ( Click Me to Download (http://www.techhaven.org/downloads/task,doc_download/gid,18/) ) but it can get annoying pantho used to do it constantly then i started to do it talking on the wrong vent :p its funneh tho coz ppl are like wtf :p we had a bind set up for pantho that when he spoke on wrong vent it would say "wrong fucking vent" :p

Edit : even with vent mix your passwords may mysteriously disappear so save 'em somewhere
Then voodoo would press the wrong bind, and i had a bind saying

"Wrong fucking bind"

:p -

yea Vent mix rocks, but still deletes my passwords

GOD OF HELL
01-12-06, 11:34
I was on it early in the mourning and couldn't really find anyone...

anyone even use this vent server?