PDA

View Full Version : NC-Wiki.com

james_finn
06-11-06, 23:30
Ok, so as Ive been asked and have been given webspace etc. work on nc-wiki.com has restarted, what I am asking for at the moment is for a couple of people to volunteer to be admins on the site and to work to get a fair amount of content on the wiki before we go live with it, if you think your good for the job, then please send me a PM or reply to this post!

Thanks in advance

/Delphi

Dribble Joy
06-11-06, 23:33
I might offer, but I am doing a degree in physics at the mo....

james_finn
06-11-06, 23:36

rofl... im in my final year of my MPhys.... thats not an excuse :P

RusSki
06-11-06, 23:49
No he just likes to remind us he's doing a degree, in case we forgot.

james_finn
07-11-06, 00:53

Well thats my point, im in my final year of my Masters in Physics :P

Dribble Joy
07-11-06, 01:08
Most of us here are either working or doing a degree of sorts no? And I was pointing out the fact I have not much time really. I'm sure many people have much harder stuff to do than the current barely-above-A-level stuff I am dozing off in lectures to at current.

Anyway, I doubt my inclusion into this project would be welcomed by most people here, cirtainly not as an admin.

jini
07-11-06, 08:41
Classic sample of spamming... :rolleyes:
Either you offer or you don't... You have to realize that we do not care what you do right?

Dribble, spare the bull. If you want to point out the fact you dont have the time, then you just say it, or you dont post

solid-rock
07-11-06, 10:55
I know Unreal is very pasionate about a good resources site :P.

Brammers
07-11-06, 12:59
Most of us here are either working or doing a degree of sorts no? And I was pointing out the fact I have not much time really. I'm sure many people have much harder stuff to do than the current barely-above-A-level stuff I am dozing off in lectures to at current.

Anyway, I doubt my inclusion into this project would be welcomed by most people here, cirtainly not as an admin.

Any help is welcomed, even with the million and one things I do with the THN, even I can find a little time to help on this project. ;)

So go on DJ, help the nc-wiki and forget what you think everyone else thinks of you.

Dribble Joy
07-11-06, 15:37
Dribble, spare the bull. If you want to point out the fact you dont have the time, then you just say it, or you dont post
As I've said in a previous thread, I think it's you who need spare the bull. Want to let your feelings about me out? Just go ahead. No need to hide it behind thinly vieled comments like these.

If I want to do it and but I don't have time, I'd want to give a decent reason. Clearly my reason was insufficient for the threadstarter and others here. My sincerest appollogies, but after the calamity that was my engineering degree, I actually have to put some effort into this one and I can't have distractions like this.

I'm not fishing for compliments or sympathy either, before you get that idea. It's not exactly that I care about what people think about me (which I am truely convinced is a majority of severe distaste), it's more that I care about NC and it's support/resources, I'd rather that support/resources have the backing of the community than people shun it because who is involved in it.

james_finn
07-11-06, 15:42
I have to say yet again im disapointed, first of all this has started to turn into a flame war, and secondly all these people saying that a wiki is a good idea, but no one is willing to put the time in to actually help it. Currently there is myself and Solid Rock working on this wiki, it will go public as soon as we have enough content on there with some framework, then it will be down to everyone to help us with it.

/Delphi

Dribble Joy
07-11-06, 15:55
OK, back on topic. What sort of content do you want?
If it's similar to THN, tradeskill guides, mob info, etc., then I might be able to lend a hand. Admin work, PvP recommendations and other stuff that people would want me a million miles away from then I probably don't have the time or the wish to see this thing get flamed in other areas/forums/etc.

jini
07-11-06, 16:01
@Dribble:
let me correct you into a couple of things DJ:
1. Everyone should care for other peoples opinions for him...
2. You should realise, that NC is doing fine with, or without you...

@Delphi:
I wish I had the knowledge to do this matey, but I can understand your point of view.
May I ask, what is actually a wi-ki?

CMaster
07-11-06, 16:24
I wish I had the knowledge to do this matey, but I can understand your point of view.
May I ask, what is actually a wi-ki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/wiki
Actually, http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki may suit you better.

I'd sort of be interested, but I don't fancy going through the early arguments, and have already commited myself to too many things at the moment. So I think I'll stick with helping NC in my role at the THN, rather than branching out futher.

james_finn
07-11-06, 16:24
OK, back on topic. What sort of content do you want?
If it's similar to THN, tradeskill guides, mob info, etc., then I might be able to lend a hand. Admin work, PvP recommendations and other stuff that people would want me a million miles away from then I probably don't have the time or the wish to see this thing get flamed in other areas/forums/etc.

Well the plan is to have as much information about everything in neocron - I want things like past events, storylines from neocronicle and votr - all with the hyperlinks to the correct things - Articles on mobs and what to expect, articles on how to level - articles on fan stories - you name it we want it!

And a Wiki is a site where people are able to login (or will have to with ours) to edit the site, so if you see something is wrong then YOU can edit it and correct it! Literally it will be a site by the community - got a spare ten minutes the just jump on and write the background story behind the STORM bots (Do you remember what STORM stands for? Im sure Nidhogg gave us an answer on that a while ago).... etc.

/Delphi

jini
07-11-06, 17:07
I see, it really sounds cool. In any case, if someone setup the code, then everyone can help by adding to comments. It doesn't even need registration

CMaster
07-11-06, 17:10
I see, it really sounds cool. In any case, if someone setup the code, then everyone can help by adding to comments. It doesn't even need registration

In theory. In practice however, most small-scale wikis end up requiring registration to edit, due to the vandal swarms that roam the net - both malicous people and advertising bots that attack wikis out there. Wikipedia gets away with it due to the vast number of editors it has - vandalism gets caught quick. For a smaller group, the vandalism can quickly overwhelm the editors.

james_finn
07-11-06, 18:11

nc-wiki.com will require registration to be able to edit - although it wont take much work to do, and also means that you get your own personal page - plus you can set IE/FF so that it will remember the password.

/Delphi

Pantho
07-11-06, 18:55
I PM's you offering my information Gathering services...

And my web admin abilities....

i even offered to spell check my work.

-btw...

Admin is a word, Administrator
Administration -

Why does only Admin show up on Firefox 2 Built in spellchecker,.... this thing is a pile of shit lol - even Microsoft office 98 picked up admin

solid-rock
07-11-06, 20:14
Well the plan is to have as much information about everything in neocron - I want things like past events, storylines from neocronicle and votr - all with the hyperlinks to the correct things - Articles on mobs and what to expect, articles on how to level - articles on fan stories - you name it we want it!

And a Wiki is a site where people are able to login (or will have to with ours) to edit the site, so if you see something is wrong then YOU can edit it and correct it! Literally it will be a site by the community - got a spare ten minutes the just jump on and write the background story behind the STORM bots (Do you remember what STORM stands for? Im sure Nidhogg gave us an answer on that a while ago).... etc.

/Delphi

If youd care to check the recent changes i put in the full name of the storm bots on the abriviations list (http://wiki.techhaven.org/index.php/Neocron_abriviations) emidiately after you added them to the list :P. We still need someone to write the full stormbot article though. Its not hard at all just click the full stormbot name and then click the the create this page link :P.

If anyone needs a place to start you can check the To-Do list (http://wiki.techhaven.org/index.php/Ncwiki:To-do). All articles that need to be built are deadlinked in the same way that the stormbot one is.

The code is already set up thats the whole purpose of this thread to anouce that the wiki is setup and more or less ready for public use. We need to finish up a few features and maby add more help articles but from a purely practical standpoint the wiki is fully operational.

Doc Holliday
08-11-06, 06:40
ot but go look up the bf2 wiki. its on the net somewhere. its hilarious.

solid-rock
08-11-06, 10:50
our domain is now up and working. Head to www.NC-Wiki.com and see if theres any missing articles that fall within your expertise :D. Remember if noone types up articles there wont be any info to find.