PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex

Apocalypsox
31-10-06, 01:03
I Know you guys have probably all played this before, being a NC player and all. but i just got it, and i sware to fucking god i feel like im playing NC1 (Short of the internet part) The interface, and implant type things, and the nice semi-post-apoc world. Its fucking great.

(Got Deus Ex free with a 150$ videocard *FINALLY!!! a 256 MEG PCI CARD!!!* that was on sale for 100$)

If anyone hasnt tried this and liked NC1, i highly recommend it.

CMaster
31-10-06, 01:08
Deus Ex should be required gaming for like, everyone. Its the best piece of art (in my opinion) that the fledgling art form (and game development can be an art form, just like all the popular media) has produced and also my personal best game EVER. And Neocron borrows and takes from it heavily. Hell, all I used to know about NC (and brough me to it) was the descriptions of "its like an MMO Deus Ex."

Skusty
31-10-06, 01:32
PCI card for 150$? does that even exist?. Unless you ment PCI-E.

Glok
31-10-06, 01:38
Considering the rarity of PCI (not pcie I'm fairly sure) video cards any price is a good price if you have no choice and since it's a 256MB version, I'm guessing it has a fairly current chipset. Apoc?

CMaster
31-10-06, 01:46
Me ranting about reasons why DX is awesome. Aside from featuring JC of course.

[23:17] Alex "CMaster": classic example of Deus Ex's options (the story is very linear, but how you get there is your choice)
[23:17] Alex "CMaster": there is a locked door. You want to get to the other side
[23:17] Alex "CMaster": you could:
[23:17] Alex "CMaster": look around for a key
[23:17] Alex "CMaster": attempt to guess a passcode
[23:17] Alex "CMaster": hack a nearby computer, open the door, hack a turret against the guards on the other side
[23:18] Alex "CMaster": make a distraction so that somebody comes through the door
[23:18] Alex "CMaster": find a ventilation shaft that avoids the door
[23:18] ****: lol so many ways
[23:18] Alex "CMaster": blow the door up with a rocket launcher or explosive
[23:18] ****: maybe theres something in that
[23:18] Alex "CMaster": or simply stand around nearby and see if somebody opens it anyway
[23:19] Alex "CMaster": People you meet will question your motivation depending on how brutal or otherwise you are in fulfilling objectives
[23:19] Alex "CMaster": and you can argue with bartenders about democratic principles vs strong rule
[23:20] ****: wow... something really to think about :) imagine if you could do that with npc's in NC
[23:20] Alex "CMaster": you can probably pick it up from a local bargin bin for under a fiver

Avoid the sequel though. Its not a bad game per se, but there are better ways of spending your time.

Also, don't expect perfection from it. It isn't the perfect game, just a very good one.

Oh, it also won one of the very first gaming BAFTAs. when they only gave out the one per year.

Apocalypsox
31-10-06, 03:11
Considering the rarity of PCI (not pcie I'm fairly sure) video cards any price is a good price if you have no choice and since it's a 256MB version, I'm guessing it has a fairly current chipset. Apoc?
it is a fairly current card. And my computer wont take PCI-E cards because it needs a major overhaul, and i thought it was pretty cheap for a 256 card (and i needed to upgrade from my 64 meg card)

Works pretty well too. i think Radeon just rolled it off the assembly lines too. (Or pretty recently)

eprodigy
31-10-06, 05:29
oh man. i love deus ex.

as was mentioned the second i loaded up neocron for the first time i knew i would love it seeing how much it reminded me of deus ex.

i bought deus ex right when it first came out just by the box, i hadnt heard of ion storm or the game and didnt have any idea it would become a classic. its one of my all time favorite games. i cant believe a gamer hadn't played it ;)

the sequel i picked up for xbox and i found it to be worth a play for a fan of the original and a decent game on it's own but its not a classic like the original. i wish they had done the original justice and not tried to go so mass appeal.

Masentaja
31-10-06, 11:36
Well considering you haven't tested Deus Ex, I hope atleast you have tested System Shock 2 ? :E

Pantho
31-10-06, 12:10
heh,

Never played Deus Ex!.. Might go visit play.com now tho... or a torrent site... Depending how kind i feel

CMaster
31-10-06, 12:12
heh,

Never played Deus Ex!.. Might go visit play.com now tho... or a torrent site... Depending how kind i feel

Its currently out of stock at Play.
Torrent sites have it, although be careful as there seem to be a lot more torrents of DX2 though. The easiest way to aquire though is to visit some local game shops - there is normally a copy or two in the bargin bins or the budget racks.

pabz
31-10-06, 13:39
Those robot things were well overpowered :angel:

CMaster
31-10-06, 13:56
Those robot things were well overpowered :angel:

All the robots were easy if you had a GEP gun. That said, you could always just avoid most of them.

RogerRamjet
31-10-06, 14:35
heh,

Are you some kind of heathen?!?!

fschepper
31-10-06, 14:41
There is a mod project, that aims to improve the visual quality of the game..

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

(the new skull texture is made by me :P )

RogerRamjet
31-10-06, 15:02
There is a mod project, that aims to improve the visual quality of the game..

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

(the new skull texture is made by me :P )

That looks amazing!

Any idea when the project will be complete?

fschepper
31-10-06, 15:10
A demo (http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/?subaction=showfull&id=1159568333&archive=) is already available..

For the rest... Winter 2008? ^^

The team needs more good artists...

RogerRamjet
31-10-06, 15:39
You guys have made me reinstall deus ex.

There goes my Uni course :D

Cronite
31-10-06, 16:03
I play Deus Ex regularly. One of the best stories ever! In addition this cool cyberpunk atmosphere. Awesome. When Deus Ex 2 released I bought it and played it. But I wish they did a remake of Deus Ex 1 with a timely optic. Like the developers of Tomb Raider. They want to remake Tomb Raider 1 with timely grafik. Okay, Deus Ex 2 isnīt so bad at all. But itīs not Deus Ex. No skills, a crappy inventory, to much future. One sort of ammunition for each weapon, what is that shit? And when I saw JC Denton in Deus Ex 2 it was over for me. I deinstall the game and throw it in my shelf.

So I hope the mod for Deus Ex will be released soon. Canīt wait till playing Deus Ex with better textures and models. But imagine, Deus Ex with Source-Engine or something like that. I know it wonīt happens but it would be the best game ever for me.

Brammers
31-10-06, 16:12
I went looking for my Deus Ex copy, it seems to be missing in action, so I thought I get a copy at lunchtime.

...for some reason I came back with 3 DVD's and no Deus Ex O_o

IceStorm
31-10-06, 16:27
If you think Neocron ripped off Deus Ex, wait until you play System Shock 2.

Psi boosters, concept of a Psi Charger, skills, inventory screen, weapon damage, CHEMICALS - NC ripped it straight from System Shock 2.

rob444
31-10-06, 19:20
The reason I started playing Neocron was because of Deus Ex. A friend saw screenshots of Neocron in PC gamer I believe and he showed me them and said to me it looks like Deus Ex and it's an online game - I just had to try Neocron when it was out :P.Deus Ex is probably the best Singleplayer game I've ever experienced, nicely followed by the Thief series :D. Wish I could take some pill to forget everything in Deus Ex and play it all over again. The music and atmosphere was just... lovely. Deus Ex 2 wasn't that nice though :(.

Masentaja
31-10-06, 23:15
Hehe same here, main reason i like NC is that it reminds me of Deus Ex or system shock 2 ;/

I wonder when they gonna make System shock 3 / Deus ex 3 :P
Bioshock looks a bit promising though, although no cyberpunk there!

Skusty
01-11-06, 20:59
I tried this game yesterday and now i'am hooked. This is like a good book or movie. You just have to know what happends next. :p

unreal
01-11-06, 21:09
Woah. Never seen any screenshots or even heard much about Deus Ex until now. I wouldn't be surprised if a mate of mine at work has already bought it. If I go outside at this time of year I'll get frost bite so this'll fill up the quota for a while. Feckin' freezing right now. :p

I feel sick though. Thought I'd reinstall Planetside again and fly around for a few and the Planetside Launcher shows up as Star Wars Galaxies with Xfire, so now that game is on my list. Filth. :(

PepsiPlayer
02-11-06, 01:10
Damn you people, you made me do it, i had to dig out my dusty copy of the game and play it all over, it is still a wicked game after all this time. "Talk amongst yourselves, i may be gone some time"

unreal
02-11-06, 11:08
Hmm, there's a Deus Ex 2 as well but I won't be surprised if some of you say it spoils the image of the original or just doesn't live up to it in some way... or something like that. :rolleyes: Got my mate to bring both in to work today and I've just got back and installed it. :)

I just extracted a few of the sound files as well to have a quick gander and damn, could use a few in Neocron. :p

CMaster
02-11-06, 11:25
Hmm, there's a Deus Ex 2 as well but I won't be surprised if some of you say it spoils the image of the original or just doesn't live up to it in some way... or something like that. :rolleyes:

We have already said that. While DX2 isn't a bad game in isolation, and even makesthe interface a bit easier it doesn't have pretty much anything that made the first game special.

unreal
02-11-06, 11:32
So he did. I tend to scroll right past Roger Ramjets signature and beyond. :)

Egg on toast with fruity brown sauce x2 for the win.

CMaster
03-11-06, 18:21
Just reinstalled Invisible War (played DX1 so many times I know half the damn codes)
I'd forgotten how spectacuarly UGLY it was, as well as how although they made some bits of the interface a lot better, they made other parts far, far more intrusive.

unreal
03-11-06, 21:07
I've only dabbled at the tutorial on Deus Ex so far. lol I first saw the HUD and particularly the compass and I was thinking "eh, has Neocron copied it?"

Pretty amazed at the amount of things you can do in it, considering it's a pretty old game, and for something that was released 7 years ago or so, it doesn't look all too bad. :rolleyes:

CMaster
03-11-06, 21:44
I've only dabbled at the tutorial on Deus Ex so far. lol I first saw the HUD and particularly the compass and I was thinking "eh, has Neocron copied it?"

Pretty amazed at the amount of things you can do in it, considering it's a pretty old game, and for something that was released 7 years ago or so, it doesn't look all too bad. :rolleyes:

6 Years. Was based on the Unreal 1 engine, around about the UT build. So quite passable. Impressivly, the sequel actually looks worse, thanks to shoddy modelling, even shoddier animation and poor lighting.

Oh yeah, find any of the secrets in the tutorial?

unreal
03-11-06, 23:12
Well it's not far from 2007 so that's why I said 7. :P I know about the engine though, even the Deus Ex GOTY installer is the same one used for the unreal series as well.

Secrets? Don't think so, I was paying more attention to the items and such. Those LAMs are nice. Throughout the tutorial I just wished that was what Neocron was like. Missions where you had to sneak around past NPC's would be great for Neocron. If only eh. :p

Skusty
04-11-06, 00:18
Then a asshole comes around an spoils your postition and you're dead. ;)

But more NPCs and Quests in NC would be good. Like, asking people on the city for info.