PDA

View Full Version : Take a moment, Read. Assist. Please.

Vicium
28-10-06, 21:54
Hey. (Warning, LONG text ahead)

I'm usually very tolerant when it comes to learning/playing new MMORPG's.
I tried out most and I like pretty much every RPG there is out there.
And I usually give them atleast 1 week to understand the system, get to know the game-community so i enjoy every aspect of the game.

I logged in yesterday, ran the tutorial. Infact I kinda liked the tutorial, atleast a bit, It was a bit confusing but, I made it.
And in the end I kinda died at the very end and i was even more confused then before. Maybe it was supposed to happen? I guess so.
My internet-connection went down for a minute or so while loading. I reconnected to the server and what? my character is gone?
Ok, I died. Maybe that character was only a tutorial one, somehow.
I created the very same character, same looks, same outfit, everything.

I logged on and from what I've read the faction you choose is very important, So I took the one on the top, It's must be good, right?

Anyhow, I logged in. Got my ass to the apartment, checked out all the stuff, tried all the TAB-menu bar's etc.

I went out in to the district. And I was expecting loads of people to socialize with. (I picked the server "Terra" due I'm not german and didn't feel like learning and playing with germans either)

I was kinda lost however I used the *nav* menu, and went to my Faction Headquarter thinking "Hey, It must be something helpful there"

On my way there i zoned couple o' times, and at one point i jumped down this ledge and lost some hp. I kept walking, at a very slow rate. Something healed me all of a sudden, woot! A PLAYER! I went estatic, I said "Thank you" And i got some random german jibberish as a reply. I was like Hmm, okay this guy probably has some english friends so that's why he's here. And i zoned once again, I saw a weapon shop that was just on the way to this Headquarter of mine. I went in to check out some merchandise, and woot.

In a corner *THREE* more players. I said : Hello, I got an Hello back, I was like, WOOT. People. And then I got pretty much ignored trying to socialize and they kept talking... Guess what? GERMAN! Lovely. (Please note I don't mind Germans in general) However I got to the headquarter and tried to find my Advisor. I didn't find him and I spent about 3 hours trying to find him. I tried with different parts of the city using the *NAV* bar, Which I admit is great.

Ok, I didn't find him. I started to get a bit pissed. And no1 was around. I tried getting on this subway thing to this club. However I kinda bugged while zoning and ended up in a dead-end. I zoned back and forth for about 10 minutes then finally I was outta there. At this point i felt my tolerance was kinda low. And I had alot of *various something* in my inventory, and a knife.
Woot! I wielded it, I stabbed this guy. After about 10 stabs or so he turned 90 degrees facing me. I sensed what was gonna happen. I was wrong, nothing happened. I stabbed him another 10 times. He faced 90 degrees more. Facing *semi-away* from me. About 3 seconds passed, then he faced me, and killed me. I ended up in my apartment I think. At this point .. Yeah. You get the point.

I'm asking you players, Am I doing something terribly wrong?
Or is it just that VERY few players are playing Neocron?

Cheers! /Vicium.

SorkZmok
28-10-06, 22:22
If you get frustrated that easy you really should not be playing online games.

Stick to it. Use the help channel, people there WILL help you out.

Not much more i can say there. :)

/edit
Actually, sorry. I'll take some time for a longer reponse later. Off to a party, wooo. :lol:

Darq[Terra]
28-10-06, 22:28
For starters, if you picked the top faction, I believe that would be Biotech. The advisor you need to speak with is at the front desk in the lobby. :)

Finding people is usually not a problem, a lot congregate in Plaza 1 in front of the Medicare building. One thing to keep in mind though is that NC is a German game, so it's largest player base is out of Europe, meaning peak server times are not always US friendly, especially if you live on the west coast like I do. That beign said though, once you know where you're going, you'll usually find people around and about. It's not a huge population, but it's enough, and it's kind of nice because it reduces competition for good hunting spots.

The best advice I can offer to someone new is to learn how to access the Help chat channel. It's available server wide, and people are generally quite responsive toward answering whatever questions you have. You can access the Help channel by pressing F1, then clicking on the Custom chat channel. Scroll down the list on the right window till you get toward the bottom and find the 'Player to player Help' or something to that effect. Select it, and anything you then type will be in the Help channel.

Running delivery missions are a great way as a newcomer to earn some money, experience, and familiarize yourself with the layout of Neocron City. The NAV system is handy too, but it has it's limitations and sometimes gets confusing (especially if it starts pointing you toward the Subway).

You can also ask for my help in-game (or here) through Direct Messaging. To do so, go back into the F1 chat channels, and select the Direct channel, enter the name of the person you want to chat with (in my case, that is 'Darq') and click on the + to add them to the chat list. You can then send me messages, or whomever else you put on there. You can also use the CityCom to check if someone is online, go to Info, then Runner, enter thier name and click Search. If they're online, they'll show up in the window below. If not, they won't appear. You can check if you have the name right by shutting off either the Filter or Online options and searching again. :)

Most people are usually busy out hunting or PVP'ing, which is why you don't see many hanging around most city areas. But keep your chin up, you'll find plenty soon enough. :)

Nidhogg
28-10-06, 22:40
I'm asking you players, Am I doing something terribly wrong?
Or is it just that VERY few players are playing Neocron?

Cheers! /Vicium.
Actually you made a common mistake and the clue was when you said that your character had gone. What had happened was that you restarted on the wrong server; evidently a German server. Try going back to Terra and you should find your character back again. Also, you should find people who speak English. ;)

N

unreal
28-10-06, 22:46
Welcome. :)
And I usually give them atleast 1 week to understand the system, get to know the game-community so i enjoy every aspect of the game.Unless it's some MMOFPS like PlanetSide I'm not sure you can enjoy every aspect of an MMORPG after playing it for one week. If you're an experienced Neocron player you'll be able to level a character to cap in a week of almost constant levelling, I capped (maxed out) my Monk (except for Intelligence) in about 3 days of on and off solo levelling.
My internet-connection went down for a minute or so while loading. I reconnected to the server and what? my character is gone? Ok, I died. Maybe that character was only a tutorial one, somehow.Yup, the character you played in the tutorial is just that, a tutorial character. It's a slightly levelled character with different skills to give you a general idea as to what everything is like.
I logged on and from what I've read the faction you choose is very important, So I took the one on the top, It's must be good, right?Well, they're not too important for gameplay. Different factions have different epic rewards and different items sold within the HQ, that only people in the same faction can buy. You can buy epic rewards and other items off one another fairly cheaply these days (compared to older prices) But for a newbie though, it's fairly important. One of the most useful implants for a newbie character is a M.O.V.E.O.N which gives you a few nice bonuses to your Strength/Constitution and subskills like Body Health and Resist Force. To get that you need to complete the Biotech Epic, which means you'll be better off starting with Biotech. You get a nice apartment in Via Rosso 2 or 3 as well. :)
However I got to the headquarter and tried to find my Advisor. I didn't find him and I spent about 3 hours trying to find him.Sounds like you started your Mr Jones quest then. :) Before you use up all your character slots you should think of creating a few newbie characters with different professions to get the different rewards. The Infiltraitor reward is one you should really think of getting, a Stealth I tool without any requirements other than a Private Eye or Spy class restriction. Useful when you teleport around to hostile areas or just need to stealth for a short moment. The Quad is another nice item, from the Driver profession, which is an infinitely respawning single seater vehicle that repairs full for 498nc. Useful for newbies to get around.
Or is it just that VERY few players are playing Neocron?There's a bunch of people about here and there but generally speaking people won't just hang around in some random City Sector anymore, there's just no reason to. This is largely related to the fecking huge amount of Guards/CopBots that horde nearly every sector.

The mostly populated sectors would be Military Base, Plaza 1, Tech Haven sector 2, and if you keep an eye on the World Map (generally near Cycrow Lab) you'll see when Outposts are taken too because they'll usually change colour.

Where do you live and what time were you playing? Sounds as though you're living or logged in at a non-European timezone which means a large portion of the existing player base would be asleep. As for the German thing, yeah, I started writing this post about 15mins ago but I've been watching Snooker. I was going to say the same thing as Nidhogg, you sure you didn't connect to Mars by accident? :p

PS. If you need any help in-game, feel free to message me on 'unrael' ('unreal' spelt wrong), I'll usually be sat in TH idling these days. If I don't respond/am sitting in a chair it usually means I'm AFK, busy, or just not paying attention. :rolleyes:

Vicium
28-10-06, 23:32
I'm swedish :-] GMT +2 atm.
And whoever said I shouldn't stick to playing games

I mean, spending 3 hours just getting confused is infact very annoying, believe me. It would've been a whole other situation if i like learned something on the way, or understood the tiniest bit :-) But I didn't 8]

And you were right. I did that server-pick mistake :-] I don't remember getting an option to pick server a 2nd time though. Ah however. I'm on now and bouncing around :-)

Nidhogg
28-10-06, 23:45
If ever you're feeling a bit lost or confused, don't sit their in silence and get frustrated, just drop us a line here on the forums. :)

N

Vicium
29-10-06, 00:09
Got into the sewers now, had problems at first using my stiletto with 3 damage.

Now i got my glove "thing" on and I'm using Psi lightning for 30-40 damage.
Alot easier/faster :-)

Still trying to figure out on how lvling the different attirbuts and the whole experience drill's working :-)

Thanks everyone btw.

Chimp
29-10-06, 00:57
Monks level there 2 main skills using the spells.. thats PSI and INT. To up your other skills like constitution and str you need to get hurt by mobs. To level dexterity you mainly have to do missions from the citycom (every mission gives points to all skills, id start doing missions once you can kill agressor captains).. Just stick with it tbh, it is a great game. Ask on the help channel for researchers and constructors to build you better spells... if you are the aggressive monk then stick with energy spells because its better for low levels, (energy bolt, holy energy bolt, energy halo/holy halo, + a few other low lvl spells i forget the name of). Researchers make blueprints from the store bought spell, then you view info on the blueprint and buy the weapon parts it says from cryton tools, then just give the BP+parts to a constructor and u got yourself a shiny new spell with good stats.. Have fun and be safe :P

Vicium
29-10-06, 01:12
Yeah thanks, I've been bugging the peeps in the Help channel for an hour or so now, Got most of my questions answered and I must say It's really fun now. A GM came and checked up upon me aswell so. No confusion anymore :-]
I tried rolling a tank Berserker instead. Alot more simple and hopefully I'll understand the crafting process soon aswell :-]

silent000
29-10-06, 02:43
if ya ever need help on Terra me will helpz u out! just drop a DM to Cream Cracker / Custard Cream. I can usually help with nethin

Masentaja
29-10-06, 02:51
Everyone has that noob sickess of yours, just pop your hypercom open (f1), and choose help channel to get your cure :)

Pantho
29-10-06, 03:08
To prove i can help, at times -

INT (Intelegence) : This will raise slowly as your deal damage to NPC's

STR (Strength) : This increases as you take damage, Force/pierce mainly. (Slow at start for monks)

CON (Constition) : Levels as you take damage from any NPC/Player (No falling doesnt get con, i think(

DEX (Dexerity) : There lies a bitch, this will not level on a monk, until you start doing Missions, some1 else will explain these, my advice is Navray>Citycom>Missions>Faction>Very Easy>Small Sewer Rat Mission

PSI (I forgot what it stands for lol) : This will level Very fast for a APU , The fastest of all your skills... Just shoot things and it goes up

ok, hope that helps...

inside INT spend all your points in PSI use

STR you want Transport and Force Resists

CON you want Health Ath and Proberly Fire to start off with

DEX Agility if you get any levels

PSI Points in APU MST and PPW - Now only put enough points in MST so you can JUST use your spells.

some Helpfull Links -

http://www.techhaven.org/resources/neocron-info/character-classes.html

For info about Different "races"

And on the left of that website, you will notice "NC Resources"

A list of Nearly every item in the game, and epic Guides / player guides are available in there

Also, that Mr jones guy in your appartment..

http://www.techhaven.org/resources/profession-quests/inquisitor.html

Little guide to his mission for you.. He gives you a very powerfull spell for a Newb, its a TL7 Crahn's Justice. (but its overpowered :) - )