PDA

View Full Version : The Outpost War System.

Dogface
18-10-06, 17:05
I've been reading a bit about people wanting a revamp of the current OP war system, so this got me thinking:

What would you guys like to see in a new OP system? I pray after the balancing is done, there will be more space for classes other than monks, I'm just curious as to whether or not this could have potential to bring in anything new.

Personally, I'd like to see:

- Less opportunity to camp UG entrance/exits, making attacking and defending balanced.

- Wider variety of classes at OPs (down to player choice and class balance though).

- More stylish/dynamic oupost environment, rather than the current, shop here, hackterm there, entrance that way. Although some OPs are extremely sexy.

- Strategical OP placement, for example, owning a certain OP will allow clan or faction A to use certain facilities (other than a GR, for example owners of Cycrow can refuse players access to CRP) in the zone or allowing easier access to facilities in surrounding zones that will not only be of use to levellers, but the pvpers too (again, example being CRP).

- More of a reason to own OPs, currently there are some OPs not worth fighting for, just because owning one and actually getting there isn't really worth it. Tying in with above point.

What would you all like to see if there was a new OP war system?

giga191
18-10-06, 17:17
- ~10% bonus to lvling in an area controlled by your faction (according to the colours on the maps)
- OP wars should be similar to the WoW battlegrounds (dedicated zone, objective based). This would allow for more control over ninja hacking, clans would have to declare the fight sometime before the battle giving the defending clan time to get together.

Preach
18-10-06, 17:33
- ~10% bonus to lvling in an area controlled by your faction (according to the colours on the maps)
- OP wars should be similar to the WoW battlegrounds (dedicated zone, objective based). This would allow for more control over ninja hacking, clans would have to declare the fight sometime before the battle giving the defending clan time to get together.

el oh el Zel likes WOW.... pwnage

seratoz
18-10-06, 17:42
I Have to agree about the levellling bonus 100%...... this would get people out into the world more, and provide a damn good reason for clans to own ops, and amazing idea I hadnt thought about before. This would also bring more attention from normal runners to clans and the possibility of being in one since they would WANT to know whats clans own what for levelling bonuses.

It *might* also be good to have some items in game for which and op is ESSENTIAL for making it. that way pvp players would have a little more reason to own ops AND pvp. Also increase tradeskilling for clans as they would be sole providers of certain items. IE Nuclear missle, (requires 185 CST and Factory) or just make it so that you have to own an op to possibly reach the CST levell IE Nuclear missle (requires 270 CST) i know at cap you can get like 235 or something, which means this items would absolutely require and op. If the item is decent this will make and ACTUALL demand for ops and encourage some cool pvp for proprietary construction rights.

This might also then encourage some tradeskilling clans to get into pvp, if an op is required they may try to monopolize on all factories so that they can increase prices. Would be f**king sweet imo

Dogface
18-10-06, 18:55
Liking the idea of a levelling bonus, liking it a lot. I think what would make this even better would be if this bonus only applied to players without an LE. Giving people a reason to take the LE out, but without penalising those who prefer to play with it.

No clue how to go about this, but something to prevent ninja hacking would be sweet.

kane
18-10-06, 19:00
I think the hack system needs to be changed totaly. It can't be just a simple 3 layers and thats it. I think has to have something else and also better defensive for ops. Maybe shields or something :P protect the hack room and such maybe more layers of protection like to get into the op to start with an such. Maybe rhino would have shoot down the main shields and take like 50+ hits but would being in more vhc useage during op fights and such..

And yes I think should be more like land control rather just saying woot I own a op im elite... lol.. I think infact should be a bonus to that faction not just in that area but around the world for all people who have le's out. Like maybe get a 40% more exp if 40% ops controled by biotech and maybe like a extra % if ur in that clan?

Pantho
18-10-06, 19:09
Levling bonus at your own ops would suck -

Every1 would be forced to join a big clan to level , Also not really many nice levling spots inside OP area's, Bar firemobs and the odd WB>

Glok
18-10-06, 19:17
Every1 would be forced to join a big clan to levelWhy? You still level really fast now if you know how the only people that would be 'forced' to join a clan to level are hardcore PvP anyways and levelling is wasted on them besides they would probably join the clan anyways eventually but they couldn't LE themselves to cap and then join if they wanted the fastest route. Good thing imo. :p

edit: You probably mean pure PvP non-OPholding clans... well forcing more clans to hold a few OPs is good too no? Make it really worth fighting for.
Also not really many nice levling spots inside OP area's, Bar firemobs and the odd WB>Gabanium, Cycrow (hell all the OPs in the northeast), Malstrond, the Hoverbots OPs (hunting hovers is cool OK?), Northstar, Ceres, Grant...

Torg
18-10-06, 19:19
no additional bonuses. make ops cost money but give it, so clans have to pay for (maintenance etc).

but give us new zones and new caverns (which will never happen).

kane
18-10-06, 19:20
The idea is to get people take there le's out... at rank 30 they should fall out :P

giga191
18-10-06, 19:33
Levling bonus at your own ops would suck -

Every1 would be forced to join a big clan to level , Also not really many nice levling spots inside OP area's, Bar firemobs and the odd WB>
1) it's a bonus, not really necesarry to level
2) I did say according to the colours on the map, meaning not just the OP zone.
3) I have played WoW, combat system sucked, leveling sucked, raiding sucked. Maybe a seperate zone isn't required, but i still think that clans should have to declare which OPs they want to take some time before taking it so that the defenders can get together before and not have to come from the UG.

seratoz
18-10-06, 19:35
Pantho i think you got the wrong idea, people will still levell just as fast as now. They will ONLY GAIN from the levelling op bonus. In otherword there will be no stubtraction from current elelling speed, only a bonus to those with ops and another reason to own them

RusSki
18-10-06, 22:47
Or another reason for ppl to join one of the two or three big clans. Which would in turn make them bigger and increase their monopoly, thus luring more ppl to join them. The vicious circle continues.

Sorry i thought we were trying to change and improve the game. Not keep it like it is now.

giga191
18-10-06, 23:32
if 2.2 is any good, size won't matter as much :D

nobby
19-10-06, 00:04
I'd have an XP increase in lvling of area, Remove the disgusting Hacknet 4th layer.
Have the Main part of OP in 3 "Shell" layers, Main computer in the centre, next circular wall or "shell" will be next layer to hack with a big door and so on...

Would mean Carriers are extremely needed into getting to the middle with ease, making Vehicles quite valuable in battle.

seratoz
19-10-06, 00:41
Or another reason for ppl to join one of the two or three big clans. Which would in turn make them bigger and increase their monopoly, thus luring more ppl to join them. The vicious circle continues.

Sorry i thought we were trying to change and improve the game. Not keep it like it is now.

Russki plz think out your posts...... if what you say is true..... if the speed of levelling now isnt good enough for people, and the reason they join a clan is for the xp bonus then they will jsut leave once done levelling = no real gain for clans.

People have plenty of clans to join now and plenty of reason to.

In light of this I still support some change in the op system to make it more beneficial to own one, and I think xp bonus is a good way of doing that, or implimenting items that REQUIRE and op to make.

Mr McMock
19-10-06, 01:57
Just get rid of HN layer would be such a good start and make the UG entrances flat on the ground like Redrocks would be nice as well.

But Jesus fucking christ get rid of the HN layer asap.

kane
19-10-06, 01:58

n00bz

Mr McMock
19-10-06, 02:02
el oh el Zel likes WOW.... pwnage

Filthy manc :D

Faid
19-10-06, 16:40
If they get rid of HN layer then they better damn well make HN useful for something other than leveling - I'll be pissed if I spent forever making and capping a pure HN spy solely for OP fighting if theres no reason for him. Just because a few people dont like it.

switchnine
19-10-06, 17:47
clans would have to declare the fight sometime before the battle giving the defending clan time to get together.

Like an anticity faction would say "hey cityadmin, we gonna take your op today. But it's only fair we give you a chance to defend it. theres a good sport, jolly good old chap see you on the battlefield." -hell no. Especially if the OP is owned by large clan and the attackers are like 5 people. besides its the clans job to defend thier OP's, set up turrets, etc.

If you ask me something should b done to encourage more clans to appear. Smaller (non-leet) clans forming, instead of just everyone joining the biggest they can find. That way the OP's will be spread among the factions better. Forcing clans to actually HAVE TO fight for OP's (which give levelling bonuses) is just going to push newer plays to join the biggest clans in the most common factions.

giga191
19-10-06, 18:14
Like an anticity faction would say "hey cityadmin, we gonna take your op today. But it's only fair we give you a chance to defend it. theres a good sport, jolly good old chap see you on the battlefield." -hell no. Especially if the OP is owned by large clan and the attackers are like 5 people. besides its the clans job to defend thier OP's, set up turrets, etc.
. it's only as stupid of being able to take over an outpost by walking over to it with a hacktool and playing a simple game to take it....

RusSki
19-10-06, 18:29
if 2.2 is any good, size won't matter as much :D

Exactly, a return to the days of lots of smaller clans fighting over the ops.

I remember when we used to go op fight against illuminate (sp) and credantes (sp) on uranus with like 4 or 5 ppl and never more than 1 ppu.

Russki plz think out your posts...... if what you say is true..... if the speed of levelling now isnt good enough for people, and the reason they join a clan is for the xp bonus then they will jsut leave once done levelling = no real gain for clans.

People have plenty of clans to join now and plenty of reason to.

In light of this I still support some change in the op system to make it more beneficial to own one, and I think xp bonus is a good way of doing that, or implimenting items that REQUIRE and op to make.

Err my post u replied to was referring to bonuses in general, not specifically the XP increase which is bad imo anyway. Do you or anyone for that matter really need help leveling?
If your new to the game the last thing you need to do is rush through the lower levels and not really learn anything.
Any new bonus system would have to be very carefully thought out and inplemented.

n00bz
AKA band waggon players. Those that dont like to lose.
Plenty of them still around.

switchnine
19-10-06, 18:30
it's only as stupid of being able to take over an outpost by walking over to it with a hacktool and playing a simple game to take it....

Yeah I agree that the hack game is a little cheap for taking an entire OP, but it still requires like 3 hackers to do it. But telling the enemy you're coming, and giving them time to get ready is craziness if you just want to take the OP, or are a small clan.

Don't forget tho that a hacker can't just walk over and take it if there is defences there, turrets, clan guards etc. And the clan is responsible for guarding it, if they really want to keep it.

Forget My Name
19-10-06, 18:38
Maybe there should be 2 or three entarnces to the under ground, so that defenders can pop up around the base, instead of one exit where the exit is always para spammed and revenge camped anyway.

Should be easy to impliment, and makes defending an op easier.

Eternal Pink
19-10-06, 18:41
I like the idea of certain op's being able to make certain items, so for example say a Vehicle factory, you get a bonus to vehicle construction ( costs less parts or uses lower level parts ) so there is a actual benefit to owning it.

A lot of talk about clans owning op's, surely due to the low player base and the constant whining about zerging making a op important to the entire alliance ( pro/anti ) would be better, that way when we hear about a load of pro's/anti's attacking a op more people would mobilise to defend it creating bigger and more interesting fights.

Personnally the max amount of people i've seen at a op fight is 25 which was rather cool but if it was 50 or a 100 it would actually feel like a war, imagine 5 or 6 rhino's attacking a op and then several bombers appearing in response, that would be really sweet and would also remove the whole ug camping gayness since there would be to many people just to hide in the ug.

RusSki
19-10-06, 18:45
Entrances to op ugs could be like a smaller version of the main Neocron gate.
Big doors that move slowly with a zoneline behind it. Only the owners of the op can open the doors and there are very, very well armoured stun turrets stopping attackers getting inside.
They could either be destroyed (after taking a hell of alot of damage) or deactivated via a hack somehow.
That way defenders can zone into the op sector from the ug without taking fire from the attackers who wouldnt be able to target them due to the doors blocking their line of site and aoe damage.

Maybe put a timer on the doors so that after the doors are opened and closed they cannot be reopened for X amount of time.

It is atleast a workable idea

Forget My Name
19-10-06, 18:52
AOE would still hurt the ones inside. Your idea sounds like a complicated version of mine.

Some ops could have two entrances in the op and one outside it. Others can have one inside and two outside. This would make for ninja hackers to tread carefully since they cannot monitor only one exit with anti stealth and mals.

This wouls also end the ducks in a row fighting op fighting has become. With three exits, fights would now require thought and good planning on both sides, instead of hoping for the best when you exit a ug into a flaming pit of death.

giga191
19-10-06, 19:01
Yeah I agree that the hack game is a little cheap for taking an entire OP, but it still requires like 3 hackers to do it. But telling the enemy you're coming, and giving them time to get ready is craziness if you just want to take the OP, or are a small clan. I didn't mean that you had to openly say to the clan "I am going to take your outpost in an hour, and kill you in the process". One idea would be to have the hacknet hacking at the start of the hacking process, and having an hour between that and the first layer. During this hour, warning messages should be giving several times to the defending clan with the time left til the first layer can be hacked (like the auto messages before the server shuts down).

seratoz
19-10-06, 19:07
yeah Russki, im not too hardcore on the XP bonus :) was just trying to point out that it didnt really make much sense. However this thread seems to have taken a really good turn for developing ops better...... I hope KK is reading this stuff *crosses fingers*

Tubby
20-10-06, 18:28
A bit like what nobby sadi i think an op ahould have 3-4 "layers". So all entrances are covered by gates and these have to be destroyed to get access. when the first one is down an alert to the clan is given out as ussual, then a secondary gate/laser fence whatever would need to be hacked, 3 layer would be the hack term then 4th in hacknet. It could be made so say the outer most gates could only be destroyed and so therefor you would need vehicles or tanks to pump out damage, the second layer would need to be hacked so you couldnt really take just tanks. Since the gates woud take a while to destroy it gives ample time for defenders to get there before the attackers have acess to the UG, this also gives opurtunities to use other methods/stratergies to take an op, rilfe spys could take a vantage point and shoot over the walls before the gates are open, would work for both attackers and defenders, more flying vehicles could be used to gain acess to the courtyard easier, there could be a possiblity to expand on to the empty room for ops in hacknet and so hackers could control
wall mounted turrets etc, doubt this would happen mind you :rolleyes: