PDA

View Full Version : Mission selection system

rookee
05-10-06, 09:43
I'm raising a pure researcher/driver atm, no droning, pistols etc. I hate droning and I've done more than enough shooting on my other chars, furthermore I'd like to avoid having to lom. Until I have the necessary vehicle use skill and the money for a nice vehicle, I'm sticking to research missions for my faction. So with my research tool and the mission item in my inventory I head for the nearest lab op.

After getting loads of Research Substance and BPs I start researching away with the op bonus. Between pressing the start button I practice solving Rubik's Cube, listen to music, do other things on PC (windowed mode ftw). This part of a researchers job I find rather bearable, as you can also talk on the Help channel and help people out or listen to the usual "I PWNZ YOO NUB" on OOC.

But after finishing a batch of BPs and gr'ing back to HQ, I always get frustrated by the mission selection system. Sometimes it takes me around 30 clicks to get the mission that I want. Sometimes all three missions shown are exactly the same. You always have to wait for the missions to load which I'm rather sure is just an artificial obstacle. You have to put your full attention to it or you will click "next" when there is a mission you would have wanted. Apparently you can't send any channel messages when in the mission selection system, and you're not keen on responding to help requests anyway, as you're busy selecting your mission. Sometimes the mission selection takes longer than the entire research process did. And - it's something you can't speed up through learning a specific skill.

Just a few suggestions:

- Extend the missions shown at once to 5-10
- Make sure no duplicates show up in those 5-10

I don't know anything about NC2's code, but I think these two changes should be rather easy to implement. And it would reduce the frustration factor of a researchers job a good bit. Still not fun, but at least not as annoying as it is now.

Jagrfelm
05-10-06, 09:55
I had the same "Problem" as Researcher. Ressing itself isnt that bad, but getting the Mission is just annoying. A Change to the Citycom (like looking for a specific Mission) would be TOO easy. But i like your 2 Ideas there. I also dont think that would be hard to implement.

silent000
05-10-06, 11:15
Ive heard that the citycom is a lone server itself i may be wrong but thats what i always thought the crashes were about :P

Pantho
05-10-06, 11:25
I know you cant get a mission while you have a Ping of 2000 , It fatals upon mission loading :)

Bozz-Von Mel
05-10-06, 12:34
My ping averages about 2000 and I crash constantly. I have learned that if I wait 2 seconds (or 1 second for every 1000 ping I have at the time) between activating buttons in the city com I crash less. Why not just have ALL available missions ready for selection?

Faid
05-10-06, 16:22
I fucking HATE the mission selection setup! :mad:

And you can can send channel messages you just have to click on the communicater window first.

rookee
05-10-06, 16:48
Why not just have ALL available missions ready for selection?
Lo Bozz, I believe the less effort an idea requires, the higher the probability it gets adopted, so I was trying to get at least some improvement without demanding too much. For people like you that play via satellite getting to choose from all missions would be perfect, but you have to keep in mind this game has to be somewhat secured against macroing. A randomly sorted overview would do I guess. But then I have to agree with Jagrfelm - being able to choose the wanted mission in two clicks is too easy (at least with an average latency).

@Faid: I'm feeling the same way, just didn't want to say it so drastically. :) And thx for pointing out the message thing, I used to cancel mission selection and type away, it was even more frustrating.

SizZLeR
05-10-06, 18:49
This issue was up a long time ago in brainport i think, however ive always wanted it vhanged too as i frankly think tyhe mission selection system sux big time.

If it wasnt just so damn slow on updating/generating when u press "Next", but it takes forever between cliks to get a new mission list.

The problem with duplicate missions showing up at the same time, that sure is a problem too as u cant use it for anything actually and the code to prevent it wouldnt be any near by hard to make nor implement, its simply a matter of adding it to the iteration that takes place when "grabbing" missions from the server db.

Back in brainport someone suggested the selection to be hierachily (prolly misspelled) shown in a treeview, that is also imo too easy, but showing maybe 10 missions at the same time wouldnt hurt anyone, better yet if it showed 10 different missions. :D

Another way could be to have it show only missions by category, so u could choose between like "Running", "RES/CST", "Killing" and so on, cause to me its really annoying seeing all them res and cst missions come up when my tank is trying to get a mission. :lol:

unreal
05-10-06, 23:53
I think it would be nice if there was some kind of /mget (get mission) command to speed up getting a particular mission (and therefore /mlist for the mission lists too), that would only work in sectors where a CityCom is located. Obviously the same things will happen in regards to attempting to get a mission; ie. you'll get an error message spewed at you if you don't meet the mission requirements, etc. Wouldn't mind anything like that as long as it isn't slow and buggy.

Kierz
06-10-06, 00:42
kk seem to like their timesyncs tho, and i guess it is all those timesyncs which make up neocrack and the days just disapear... but the citycom is so damn buggy i'm sure it's so off putting for new players to crash every few times they try to get a mission.. would be nice if KK just totally rewrote the whole citycom code but they have enough to do already

Infinite
06-10-06, 00:58
Yes I know this used to suck when trying to get SL back after ganking.

It's still like that?
Wouldn't know Reakktor seem to of given my account away.

SizZLeR
06-10-06, 13:36
but the citycom is so damn buggy i'm sure it's so off putting for new players to crash every few times they try to get a mission..
See a lot of ppl talking about that issue, frankly i dont experience it myself, i never crash using the citycom, no matter how fast i press the buttons in there... :)

Also the high ping ppl r talking about, like pings of 2 secs!!! I mean thats a lot of time for a packet ot do a roundtrip, shd mean that either the packet jumps between a shitload of servers or just have to go thru some really slow ones on the way to the NC game server.

Theoretically it could take up to 250ms to make a ping half way around the globe, then comes all the servers to slow it down, but still i think 2000ms is quite a lot.

My ping usually is between 40-60ms maybe why i dont get that much outta sync with the server which would prolly cause a crash?

FeeNiX
07-10-06, 11:34
How about being able to apply a filter, like: tradeskill, courier, quickjob, etc, dont make it super easy for us, but throw us a friggin bone here.

Diabolism
07-10-06, 13:00
How about being able to apply a filter, like: tradeskill, courier, quickjob, etc, dont make it super easy for us, but throw us a friggin bone here.

i like that idea, its one i keep complaining about, they should at least make it a little simpler than is now, might make more people do mission

Bishop Yutani
07-10-06, 17:06
/signed.

mission selection is crapola.

ROZZER187
08-10-06, 00:47
just have it split into sections like for example:-

mission type

research
construct
recycle
mutant
aggressor etc

then have the difficulty you want
very easy
easy
normal
hard
very hard

then the tl for the difficulty you have picked along with the sympathy req like for example.

ress tl 150 90 sympathy required

FeeNiX
08-10-06, 04:48
Even if they still want to make it not too easy, just use overall categories, that will help immensly without making it super easy.