PDA

View Full Version : [idea] for noob players

NAPPER
02-10-06, 04:11
this is my idea what if as soon as you start in mc5 it shows you the way to the gr as in the nav ray come on as soon as.

Apocalypsox
02-10-06, 04:49
err...its quite easy to see the big "GENREP" sign as soon as you walk down the ramp...isnt it?

NAPPER
02-10-06, 04:55
if your new to the game you dont even know how to get to the ramp

Faid
02-10-06, 07:08
lol that and you dont even know what a Gen Rep is or what it does :p

Glok
02-10-06, 07:15
Just make MC5 more interesting. It's only us vets that want the straight line to the GR. The newbie just wants something cool.

Jodo
02-10-06, 07:37
Yeah, MC5 does need a bit more to it. Maybe a bit more of a tutorial than the tutorial. A firing range would be sweet, (TT should have one in a sub-basement imo). The Gen Rep should maybe have a more noticable sign stating "Gen Rep to your appartment" or some such.

Diabolism
05-10-06, 20:25
i like the idea about the firing range, sounds like a cool idea, possibly a different sub basement for each clans speciality

SizZLeR
05-10-06, 21:22
Making MC5 too interesting just makes it feel like jumping into the cold pool after being in the hotub when u finally go to your appy i think. ;)

When i started out i must admit that MC5 just confused me, i spend all my money before i got to the GR because i thought i was actually "in the game" now and then i found out that i was in some sort of playpen.

Maybe because i never really player RPG before or maybe because i actully wanted to start play the game rather than spending an hour of reading and underdstanding the whole thing first.

When i got to NC i learned more about the game in a few mins than i did running around in the playpen (MC5) for half an hour. :lol:

Imo MC5 isnt good for nothing really besides making things more complicated than they really are, i mean what is it u can learn in MC5 better than in the city?!?

My personal opinion is that noobs simply ask other runners about what they dont know, in NC there're usually ppl around that one can simply ask for help.
I think that the best way to learn about life, real life or in a computergame, is to go live it there, as one cant read his way to experience of life. ;)

Kierz
06-10-06, 00:51
newbie mc5 should just be scrapped, the jones missions are good enough and it gets people into the action straight away and you actually get to meet real people (well the nc factions do).. i dunno if it says on the factions when you look but i definately think they should put some kinda notice on the factions you choose like all pro-city factions are beginner friendly (i mean the city itself, don't get offended i'm not calling you lot carebears), CM would be medium i guess, i'd call it the most noob friendly cause of bunker, but i think real beginners would die too much there =p and anti-city should be for experienced players only, cause otherwise they're gonna get bored not seeing anyone in the city or whatever...

anyway noob mc5 doesn't even make sense for anti city chars or cm =]
the tutorial + jones missions are far more help for new players, and noob mc5 just delays that...

Pantho
06-10-06, 00:57
I tried to get a freind into the game, He said he played for 4 days on a APU -

Died alot to some mutant mobs in plaza 2 levling place ^^

Glok
06-10-06, 01:04
Ew noob APU without deflector (or belt) in aggies... yeah dead. :lol:

Would be better if medkits were speeded up a little...

unreal
06-10-06, 01:29
I think the one of the main problems lies with the populations these days. When I started playing at the start of Neocron 2 beta, the newbie MC5 would be full of people running around the same as me, wondering what the hell we were supposed to be doing. These days, you're lucky to see just one person who's making their trip straight to the GR.

I spent a lot of time doing those newbie kill-four-cyberguard (I think it was four) missions to earn cash, dying quite a few times in the process as an absolute newbie Spy. I collected everything I could to try and sell it to the smugglers. My GoGuardian was completely full of weapon mods thinking they could be sold for quite a lot, not knowing any better. Some of the things I collected then are actually in my construction apartment in Plaza 4. Probably the oldest items I have. 8|

When I eventually reached Plaza 1, some English speaking German GM/Helper person mentioned he was doing a newbie tour and I quickly tagged along with a few others. We ran around (and crashed a few times in the process lol) and tagged a few GR's before getting to what must have been Outzone Station. Needless to say, we all didn't know where we were going and a couple went the wrong way and had to wait for them to catch up.

The person spawned a DoY Bomber and we all jumped in and he started flying towards TH. We all got there, tagged the GR, went back outside, he spawned his DoY Bomber again and headed towards MB. I crashed in a Swamp sector and got whooped by the fall. I was like "errr... I died" and eventually got picked up by the GM who spawned a Noddy Car next to me, and then drove me all the way to MB. :) If only there was a bit more effort from the helpers. Events are quite rare, and it's actually rare unless you're at an event to see a GM character unstealthed. Maybe it should be a priority to add more of an assisting presence, not just idling and sitting around to answer help tickets, but to actively look for newbies and help them out.

Newbie MC5 is a good idea in the sense that it brings newbies of all factions together temporarily, but as mentioned, the problem is it doesn't really happen anymore due to the lack of new people subscribing regularly (I wonder why? Add PayPal damnit). Apart from that, it's been implemented poorly for new customers. The only main sources of help are the Skill Advisors and what more should I say about that?

Might as well just remove it as Kierz said. The only thing it's doing these days is delaying you from getting to your apartment, which is what we all tell newbies to do right now when they ask on the HELP channel.

Scanner Darkly
06-10-06, 13:08
I think the one of the main problems lies with the populations these days. When I started playing at the start of Neocron 2 beta, the newbie MC5 would be full of people running around the same as me, wondering what the hell we were supposed to be doing. These days, you're lucky to see just one person who's making their trip straight to the GR.

Whatever happened to the whole Newbie Helper project? Was that just as stillborn as some other features?

Brammers
06-10-06, 13:24
Hmm, you need something impressive to kill at MC5, like a 2/2 Warbot. (Yes a 2/2 warbot!)

Riddle
06-10-06, 14:18
Looking objectively at something you are so familiar with is an almost impossible task.

We all know how it works, so don't see it from a noobs point of view.

Lets take me for example, when i started i specifically remember my first day and the MC5 experience (And no this isn't a dig)

Logged in with the words "Synchro...." across my screen, could jump turn but not move. I tried every dam key on the keyboard to try to move but nothing.
I tried to type for someone to help me but no one around. Didn't realise there was a help channel or how the hell i access it.

So rang my bro who suggested the game, he said log out, log in - Happens sometimes..blah.

so i did and eventually it dissapeared.

After running around looking for an exit for 5 mins i realised those funny bubble things where lifts. So i continued up one only to find a small room with only a lift back down. So i continued down only to find myself back where i had started!

I continued like this looking for an exit for 15 mins until i got a DM! from my Bro who had logged on to help me out.

HIM - "Go up the lift"
ME -"Done that already! enough times, nothing there"
HIM - "Go up the lift!"
ME - *does as told "ok so now what?"
HIM - "Click the door"
ME - "WHAT fucking door?"
Getting annoyed by now, nearly 25 mins in and seen nothing but the same
room.
HIM - "THe HUGE BIG YELLOW/BROWN one"
ME - "What? the Wall??"
HIM - "YES, That's it!"
ME - "WTF???"
Synch.. again? WTF is this shit. OK in a new room FINALLY!

Needless to say, having played FPS most my life before getting into MMO i was looking for a door! a physical door that opened on click. I just thought the wall was decorated.

All in all had my bro not helped me i would have probably logged off never to log on again due to frustration. Without even seeing the potential of this game !! Which MC5 does nothing to advertise.

jini
06-10-06, 14:39
MC5 is very poorly designed. It has failed in EVERY single attempt it had as its goal of helping the newbies. Instead of helping them it makes things 3 times worse. Remember these newbie "helpers"? Another failure. I wonder why does someone who dont get paid at all has to care about helping either...

At least if the noob went straight to his apt, he might get help from other runners.

unreal
06-10-06, 15:14
Whatever happened to the whole Newbie Helper project? Was that just as stillborn as some other features?There was a newbie helper project? Never witnessed it myself. The only official newbie helping I saw was what I described above when I first stumbled into Plaza 1 one day after finally realising I was in a newbie area and teleported out. A GM turned up and said they were taking people on a tour of Neocron. I never saw it happen more than twice on Terra. Shame.

Roc-a-fella
07-10-06, 00:56
I think MC5 should be the training ground for everyone until they are fully capped then let out into the world. Which in neocron, had other npc's walking around who were active and sometime attacked neutral factions. Tech Haven would be a only FA area that has the only garage that you can spawn larger flying vehicles like the hoverbomber/carrier.

The TG canyon would also be strictly TG and allied factions.

The dome would be basically how it is with the same idea of npcs as neocron. But unlike neocron the dome would not have many guards at all. But the streets of the dome would be filled with crazed thugs/drug dealers/ murderers and theifs who would try to kill you. There would be certain random guard

attacks on the people all through-out the city at all times. Military base would be strictly city mercs and allies.

I would definatly put in anarchy breed, making their headquarters in a medium sized underground complex in a hill near the trash dump. I also think that different factions shold have different stat bonuses that tie into the story behind the faction.

Anarchy breed would have a veh/hc/tc boosts spec'd to ride combat hovercrafts and vehicles of the sort if further pursued.

Factions like TT/FA/BT/BD would have construction bonuses.

I have more ideas but i wont reveal them until KK calls me so i can help them please their customers and make money. ;)

jini
07-10-06, 05:18
I have more ideas but i wont reveal them until KK calls me so i can help them please their customers and make money. ;)
Which is where I step in....
The center of dome will be filled with grim chasers and all the other fire mobs, which will drop inqui armor, which you wont be able to find elsewhere..
the rest of the sectors will be filled with snakes which will drop dragon drugs...:p

more ideas later, when kk will hire me and Roc :angel:

Roc-a-fella
07-10-06, 18:37
lol^ thats retarded. FSM is a good idea but if you wanted them other wise you would have to kill random drug dealers throughout the city. Inq armor should be sold in DoY/NC MB would not have it, they would have more enrgy/xray based armor seeing as they are surrounded by warbots.

Kierz
07-10-06, 22:54
Which is where I step in....
The center of dome will be filled with grim chasers and all the other fire mobs, which will drop inqui armor, which you wont be able to find elsewhere..
the rest of the sectors will be filled with snakes which will drop dragon drugs...:p

more ideas later, when kk will hire me and Roc :angel:wow i've always thought along the same lines myself.. doy should just be full of raptors and black scorpions like tg canyon used to be, and maybe hoppers and maulers too.. with tg actually being in the canyon, fa in th, crahn in outzone, ts in pp2 and bd in pp3..

Glok
07-10-06, 23:40
with tg actually being in the canyon, fa in th, crahn in outzone, ts in pp2 and bd in pp3..What a strange idea! Where did that come from?? :angel:

Roc-a-fella
07-10-06, 23:40
^hell yeah with the faction locations

jini
08-10-06, 06:08
...and when all this is in place, we can put some 10-20 anarchy breeds in place inside noob mc5 so that we can show them we mean "business". Only the real good one will be able to exit :p