PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new player

devore
27-09-06, 18:30
My friend and I are both joining up for some sci-fi mmo action. I really hope we can both get into the game because otherwise hes gonna drag me over to play wow with him :mad:

Just a few questions I was hoping you could all help me out with.

-Any ideas for a good character pairing? I've got other games to play solo, so we're only going to play here as a team so it would be good to take advantage of the fact there will always be two of us. At the moment we're thinking APU and PPU. Lvling speed and PvP effectiveness would be the two biggest issues here.

-Which is the best server for GMT PvP action. We're both joining the community for the PvP so which server do you think would be best?

Thanks in advance

DeVore

Dribble Joy
27-09-06, 18:53
Terra for GMT, mars is too, but it's predominantly German speaking.

APU/PPU for a pair. Hunting and PvP.

NAPPER
28-09-06, 01:17
saying apu/ppu is good but you cant beat a good hc tank /ppu combo

ROZZER187
28-09-06, 02:03
nah a pack of hybs ftw

devore
28-09-06, 04:53
We started playing last night. APU/PPU combo everythings ok except doing missions. I've been told missions are a must for xp in neglected areas (i.e. str) and rep etc. Are we doing something wrong or does the PPU have to attack targets to count towards his mission. I guess we figured being teamed we could share the missions but it doesn't look like thats possible.

Are we doing this right or are we missing something?

NAPPER
28-09-06, 05:11
If your team you share xp you don’t share the mission you both have to except the mission then the ppu will have to do the mission as well as the apu when the ppu is higher lvl he/she will be able to use a thing called a creature focus witch will attack things for her/him .

Doc Holliday
28-09-06, 07:55
We started playing last night. APU/PPU combo everythings ok except doing missions. I've been told missions are a must for xp in neglected areas (i.e. str) and rep etc. Are we doing something wrong or does the PPU have to attack targets to count towards his mission. I guess we figured being teamed we could share the missions but it doesn't look like thats possible.

Are we doing this right or are we missing something?

The best thing you can do with this one is to get a research mission. the highest you can with your current sympathy. Then just take the item and find a researcher and make him make you a stack of blueprints. that way you can keep taking the same mission and you will get your dex skill levelled quickly. this is the hardest part for a monk. everything else you need you will get normally.

The other option is to get a moveon cpu or other epic item and implant it in yourself and pull it out. (this could be classed as an exploit so better chekc with someoene else first. ) it levels all of your stats and when it breaks you can get it repaired fully. this will work with any other chips but they wont rep fully so its easier this way.

The problem with that is first you need to get the cpu which is a pain in the ass if your low level (and not of the biotech faction.) i dont wanna say to much to confuse you though man.

My advice. Option 1 is the easiest for the 2 of you :)

good luck.

rookee
28-09-06, 09:00
As far as I know the XP you get from poking the Moveon-CPU has been greatly reduced.

TL150 research missions are very good, but it can be a lot of running (depending of the faction HQ you're doing them in, I think Tsunami rocks here while Proto for instance is just a plain marathon) and you need to find a high-level resser that is willing to do the tedious research. Some give you the BPs in advance and you can pay them back later, some demand the money beforehand. Prices for one BP vary between 6.5k and 8k. I think 7k is okay. Depends on how much the resser likes you. :)

For three BPs you can complete one mission, receiving 30k as reward. So if you can get one BP for 7k, you'll make 30k - 3 x 7k = 9k profit, along with the XP for all stats.

nellus
28-09-06, 12:02
As far as I know the XP you get from poking the Moveon-CPU has been greatly reduced.

TL150 research missions are very good, but it can be a lot of running (depending of the faction HQ you're doing them in, I think Tsunami rocks here while Proto for instance is just a plain marathon) and you need to find a high-level resser that is willing to do the tedious research. Some give you the BPs in advance and you can pay them back later, some demand the money beforehand. Prices for one BP vary between 6.5k and 8k. I think 7k is okay. Depends on how much the resser likes you. :)

For three BPs you can complete one mission, receiving 30k as reward. So if you can get one BP for 7k, you'll make 30k - 3 x 7k = 9k profit, along with the XP for all stats.

The only problem you will have as newbies is you wont have enough faction sympathy to do the TL150 missions straight away. I believe its 90 sympathy to do a TL 150 mission but not 100% certain.

If you are still low level you can do rat missions and your ppu can use a stilletto to damage the rats, he doesnt have to kill them he just needs to inflict a certain amount of dammage which it think is about 30%. The apu can then kill the rats. The good thing about doing killing missions is your gaining xp in PSI and INT while completing the missions then you get the xp bonus across the board when you finnish the mission.

Another option the ppu can take is to spec some skill points into APU aswell enough to use an energy bolt. this wont effect his ppu skills at a low level and later on he can just LOMM and regain the skill points to put into APU. This is my preferred method when beginning to level a new monk.

Hope this is of some help.

nellus

devore
28-09-06, 21:02
mars is 21% compared to terra's 12% tonight that an ongoing trend? Because if so I think I'd rather restart on mars.

devore
28-09-06, 22:56
looks like it was just the gm event pops are about equal again, just had a wee panic attack that I was on the wrong server

NAPPER
29-09-06, 04:53
you dont have to remove any chars on terra to play mars

ok
mars has 1 slot for char
mercury has 4 slots for chars
terra has 4 slots for chars
neptune has 2 slots for chars

you can go play another server when ever you want then just come back to the server where you have the most fun

so i would say to you try each one then stick with the one you like the most

mars is a german server
mercury is a german server
terra is a internation server
neptune will be the new test server next month

jini
29-09-06, 06:31
My friend and I are both joining up for some sci-fi mmo action. I really hope we can both get into the game because otherwise hes gonna drag me over to play wow with him :mad:

Just a few questions I was hoping you could all help me out with.

-Any ideas for a good character pairing?
They want to join for a science mmorg and you guys suggest them to go apu/ppu???

Go make a tank and a PE (good psi capabilities, still guns) or, you be the tank and your friend the ppu. Beware though: ppu is VERY passive, all the leveling work is done by your tank or PE. in the pe/tank combo, the PE will help level everything from the tank and the tank will get help from PEs spells(semi ppu). And you can gun vehicles too..

NAPPER
29-09-06, 07:02
Tbh I wouldn’t recommend a pe for a first time player cos you have to make a good set up then use drugs and all that shit o_O

Darkana
29-09-06, 08:21
New players are not capped from the start on, though, which means things like "setups" and "drugs" are nothing they care about usually (aside of some very curious ones, who manage to waste themselfs munching all the drugs at once :lol: ). Just make a char you like and love to play, everything else is unimportant.

jini
29-09-06, 08:38
Napper, the easiest thing to start with, IS a PE. Fast leveling, great resists, great psi and healing abilities... guns....

solling
29-09-06, 09:48
easiest is tank i think not much to think about just shoot

jini
01-10-06, 08:21
easiest is tank i think not much to think about just shoot
ok ok ... tanks and pes :angel: even though i always refused to level a tank just for that INT=10 :D

NiMBle
01-10-06, 13:05
ok ok ... tanks and pes :angel: even though i always refused to level a tank just for that INT=10 :D

INT=20.