PDA

View Full Version : [OT] System Shock 2

Glok
25-09-06, 03:22
Ok confession time guys. Many of us have played SS2 (no crime if you haven't so post anyways) but how many of those who have have finished it?

I have played it. I haven't finished it. I got to Command twice and the Rickenbaker once but never went on to finish the game.

Now I have a WinXP system which refuses to run SS2 but a 'legacy' system is on the way. I intend to install it and actually finish it this time.

Spit it out guys! Played/finished?

(inspired by Clive tombstone's Undying thread)

$ir Mafia
25-09-06, 05:10
Started 5 Times but never finished it :(

Well, time to search my safegames and DO IT
so i can delete it from my HD.

SS2 works fine on WinXP-SP2 if u apply the latest patch

Glok
25-09-06, 05:25
I installed WinXP SP2 right from the start (I avoided it for the first 3 years) At first SS2 wouldn't even load then after many FAQs and help guides and tweaks it started the opening video... and froze solid every time. I gave up. I need a legacy system anyways for various things and I have half the parts already. Socket A mobos are quickly becoming unavailable tho... I gotta get one soon. I tossed out my old KT7A cause the raid chip died... stupid move. :(

John Wu
25-09-06, 06:53
I didn't play system shock 2 .. but I played sshock 1, and didn't finish it :(

its so sad because I can't put up with the awkward controls anymore .. I could deal with the graphics (hey, I got the enhanced CD version with 640x480 resolution :D ), but no mouselook? nah ...

would love to play the first part again and actually finish it, but only if someone mods mouselook into the game.

Clive tombstone
25-09-06, 08:09
It would feckin rock solid if they re-released the game for later systems, but sadly I dont ever see that happening. And no, as avid of a horror gamer that I am, I have yet to play the said awsome game. (=(
PS-thanks for the credit Glok^^. I hope to inspire many a gamer to play old classics that deserve play time, as I see that you do as well!

Napalm82
25-09-06, 08:22
I completed it a while back with my friend in co-op mode.

Altho i cant remember all too clearly what we did but we DID get it to run on Win XP PRO, think we just downloaded some re-written files.

Great game tho, and so much fun in co-op, even if there are more players the ammo or drop rate doesnt increase so you have to share everything and think ahead.

- Napalm

Aerasin
25-09-06, 08:38
Started it five times, finished it twice. I kept stopping my first time because those damn robots in the cargo hold kept creeping me out. No health, no ammo, haha. I did much better on later outings.

Argent
25-09-06, 10:13
I'm pretty sure I haven't left SS2 unfinished even once and I've played it quite a few times. I agree that Rickenbacker is the most boring part of the game though.

The game has worked well for me on win2k and XP as well and on brand new hardware too. It can be quircky with different systems, but the game is worth looking into all the problems. The most important factors are the -lgntforce switch, the patch and propably the "safe_texture_manager" in user.cfg.

Install the complemented Rebirth and SHTUP on top of that and you'll have one of the most kick ass games on your hands.

The best resource for System Shocks are the TTLG-forums, lots of help for troubleshooting as well : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/index.php

rob444
25-09-06, 10:44
Same here, never finished it either. I've only wanted to play this in COOP. We got to the area with all the robots in those pods. Then we decided to take a "break" and those saves are long gone now :(.

EDIT: I'm up for coop if someone wants to complete the game :p.
EDIT2: I can bring my gf along too ^^

canuma100
25-09-06, 12:22
The special Fasterthenlight engine of the Von braun is for more use for shodan then you think.

Realy this game is so great you MUST play it alone.

and why the hell has nobody maded a SS3?

Glok
25-09-06, 12:58
The best resource for System Shocks are the TTLG-forums, lots of help for troubleshooting as well : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/index.phpI'm banned from there... with an April 2000 reg date no less. :lol: But anyways, that's where I got all my tips when I tried to make it work before. Might give it another go, my hardware has changed a bit since then.

SS2 is seriously the only game that I literally had to quit playing (not totally just take a break) because it frazzled my nerves. The engineering tunnels, the cargo bays, fucking spooky recreation deck what was the deck before command called, residence? with all the little apts with dead people and a couple ghosts. Bahh.... :( :o

And the monkeys... 'ohh-ohh-ahh-ahh-ohh-ooh-AH!-AH!-AH!-AH!' *squeals like a girl*

rob444
25-09-06, 13:20
Also, if you are using more than one processor or having a hyper-threaded cpu, make sure you set the process to use only the first processor (Taskmanager - right click both SS2 processes). Or you could download imagecfg.exe and rewrite the systemshock 2 exe to automatically set it to use only one processor.

CMaster
25-09-06, 17:15
Finished it.
If you are having compatability problems, try the version availble from http://www.the-underdogs.info/ - it may help, although I have some slight problems getting the videos working.
I can't play the game for more than a couple of hours at once. As others have said, it rattles my nerves far too much.
Why no SS3? Well, apart from its poor sales, which mean there isnt a huge commercial drive to make more, Looking Glass studios, are no more, and haven't been for a while. An element of the team are now working on Bioshock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock), acclaimed as a "spiritual sucessor" to System Shock. I seem to recall reading somewhere that EA had the rights to the name (and presumably related IP), and had just sought continued control of the brand, suggesting they may make a new SS game (expect it to be multi-platform and possibly not a direct sequel, considering not that many people know the history)

John Wu
25-09-06, 17:50
EDIT: I'm up for coop if someone wants to complete the game :p.
EDIT2: I can bring my gf along too ^^
well, post a picture of your girlfriend and promise that you won't touch me (I'm a bit homophobic), and maybe we can agree on this 'coop' thing. btw, we call it 'sandwich' where I come from. :D

rob444
25-09-06, 18:11
well, post a picture of your girlfriend and promise that you won't touch me (I'm a bit homophobic), and maybe we can agree on this 'coop' thing. btw, we call it 'sandwich' where I come from. :D

lol, you wish ;D

Scaramanga
25-09-06, 18:56
Played it, never finished it.
Then piked it up and started to play it again about a year later, never had time to finish it so I used some God mode cheat of t'internet and finished that way. Totally took all of the fun out of it and I haven't used a cheat for a game since.

landofcake
25-09-06, 20:03
I've finished it two times at least, possibly three ... i can't remember ... it's definatley at least two though.

Probably my favourite game of all time, so it'd be a crime if i hadn't finished it ;)

rob444
25-09-06, 20:41
landofcake, so when should we continue playing ss2? ;) (we played it in coop a loooong time ago)

borl
25-09-06, 20:42
One of the best game ever. I've finished it quite a few times with each class (hint: try a melee character on impossible difficulty for a real challenge) and twice cooperatively. Coop is good fun but tends to wreck the atmosphere.

For the shallow few who care, here's a couple of links to help improve the graphics a little :p

http://shtup.home.att.net/ - High Res Textures.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=8.0 - Low Poly model replacements.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78 - Best SS2 forums. If you have trouble with running it in xp/2k, this forum is a godsend.

MrTrip
26-09-06, 08:45
Ive made levels for it actually....worked on a few projects using its engine..

Now I'm just trying to get the bugger to work in Ubuntu....blech screw off Windows XP.

I have the level editor working

*points*

http://www.phys1ks.com/dromedinlinux.png

Scanner Darkly
26-09-06, 23:22
I'd love to play this in coop mode, it was way too scary to play alone when I tried.

Haven't had nearly as much fun in a game as I had playing Doom 2 coop. I might have to dig though my games collection and install it again. One of the old machines in my garage should still be able to play it...

eLcHi
27-09-06, 14:34
Played SS1 and finished it
(Man, i can still remember the adrenaline pumping trough my veins after i disabled the power core or something and the alarms went off troughout the whole ship ... then you had to race to the top of the citadel i think ... and i thought i had like 5 minutes ... whew, what a trip ;) )

Played SS2 and finished it too :-)

Can`t remember too much about that tho :-(

Still got both flying around somewhere at home - I always find those CDs when cleaning up or moving ... and i don`t think i`ll ever throw em away ;)

Great game, maybe i`ll look into it once more *sigh*

landofcake
28-09-06, 00:08
landofcake, so when should we continue playing ss2? ;) (we played it in coop a loooong time ago)

haha, i remember ... ;)

I think we got up to about the Cargo Bays ... i'll give you a shout on IRC, we should finish it :P

Fero
28-09-06, 04:31
Looking Glass did great games ;)
Anyone tried Thief series ? yum.
SS2 is a great game indeed ... finished it once. It was quite hard.
Game's atmosphere is yet to be outdone. FEAR is peanuts compared to it.

rob444
28-09-06, 08:02
You taffer! Thief rocks so hard. Always loved the thief games. Great cinematics too :). I want a thief 4 :(.