PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Oktoberfest

Dribble Joy
24-09-06, 02:37
I'm back in the Bury (Salisbury) between uni years and since Salisbury got twinned with Xanten (near the Dutch border), there's been something of an exchange of culture between them.
This weekend it appears that it was an Oktoberfest thingy at a pub in Sals, and I attended.

Though I went to Germany (Humburg) a while ago for a stag do (the exploits of which are mostly un-mentionable), I hadn't really sampled much of anything German, or at leats not while sober.

Alas, desipte the vast selection of beirs availiable, I must say that unfortunately I am a British ale lover at heart. I dunno what they do to UK beer to make it so completely different to european beers.

The first one I had was dark looking, but was without body and tasted like some bastard child of Carling, like black water. Then I had some Weisbier, which though it had body, was still too lagery and was far too sweet.
The best was a Bavarian beer called 'Aecht Schlenferla Rauchbier', which was quite good.

I got sozzlled.

I'd like there to be a similar thing in Xanten, but alas we don't really have any form of similar holiday, the beers to go with, or the food.

Faid
24-09-06, 17:46
Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest FTW, I live in the US and its very difficult to come across good beer :( Most places only sell Budweiser or Miller :p

Pantho
24-09-06, 18:15
Im not the best fan of Beer -

Amstels
Budweiser
Carlsberg Export
is about all i like really.

Ill drink others at a party, but id never buy them :p

RusSki
24-09-06, 18:39
Burton upon trent is just down the road from me. You can get an amazing pint of pedigree there.
After a tour of the factory ofcourse.

ale is beer, lager is lager.

Cronite
24-09-06, 19:24
I´ve heard very often about the difference between european and other beer. But I don´t know the difference. Ever drunk german beer. It´s really so much different than beer from other countries?

Aerasin
24-09-06, 21:58
I'm American living in Germany. I <3 German beers. The differences I can tell you off hand is:

German beer bottles are larger.
Alcohol content is typically higher in German beers.
More beers in a case!
They taste better? haha I still like Bud/Bud Light and Corona tho.

My personal favorite is Kulmbacher Mönchshof Lager.