PDA

View Full Version : Need mic help quick!

Roc-a-fella
22-09-06, 20:52
I finally got it to freaking work and when i record its only recording one half (When i play it back it only comes out one speaker) The fader bar is in the middle so everything looks alright from a technical stand point but anyone have any other ideas?

Dribble Joy
23-09-06, 00:35
One speaker is working but not the other because (I can only assume) you're not recording in stereo. Thus it's playing back in mono. Either that or something else is borked.

Roc-a-fella
23-09-06, 20:00
LOL mono plays through two speakers fyi. I know what im doing and it still isnt working but i found a way around it i just paste the left sides audio to the right side but its kind of a pain.

What i was saying is.. when i record it only records on the left side (my voice) in stereo or mono. So if i just paste it to the right side it will play out of both sides.

yuuki
23-09-06, 21:05
erm mics only record mono, so either get a second one or copy the right channel to the left one. (or just make a mono recording)

Roc-a-fella
23-09-06, 21:13
^WTF. Please someone give me advice who actually knows what their talking about. I've been recording/editing/producing music since i was 13 and your gonna say mics only record in mono?

LiL T
24-09-06, 00:05
You have been recording/editing/producing music since 13 But you don't know have to sort your mic? I don't know whats wrong with your mic but sounds like you have something setup wrong or the male part? if thats what they called it is the wrong size for the female part? You plug it into, I remember using some head phones with the wrong connector size and only getting sound in one ear because it was to short or thin.

Mics do record in mono I believe but that would not cause the problem you are having, it should still record on both channels just not in true stereo.

/Edit when i think about it, that would not cause it to only record on the left or right, so something is fucked or not setup right. Maybe something is broken if you have it all setup correctly.

Torg
24-09-06, 00:52
right. just as lil supposed: its about the mini-jack-connectors. your mic would have a 2 way (mono) plug, while the input on your soundcard is always in stereo, so the middle ring for the second (left/right) channel is not getting a signal. compare the plug of your mic to the plug of a mini stereo headphone. see? you'll need a little adapter, translating your mono (2way) plug into a stereo (3way) one. maybe start a soldering session, ist easy to do. (and yes, ive been working as an audio engineer for quite some years). there is also a "dirty" solution to your problem: pulling the mic plug half way outa the input until the signal appears on both channels. quick, but unreliable.

Roc-a-fella
24-09-06, 00:55
^ thank you good sir

SizZLeR
27-09-06, 20:27
there is also a "dirty" solution to your problem: pulling the mic plug half way outa the input until the signal appears on both channels. quick, but unreliable.
Hehe yeah it is a dirty solution and i use it myself if necessary. :angel:
However the minijack was invented probably by the same lunatic who invented the SCART connector, bot as useless as a fart in a storm, it breaks before you get it to enjoy it. :D

Normal jack or XLR for mic imo is the way to do it, a cheap workaround would be to use the external audio connector on the MB to connect a 5.25" fronpanel with XLR and/or normal jack. :)

The female plugs comes cheap and so does the piece of cable needed to connect it, however i believe u can actually buy factory made frontpanel connectors for this particular purpose?

LiL T
28-09-06, 20:47
Ah so it was a problem with the connectors being the incorrect size, interesting.

Torg
29-09-06, 18:47
the original one? not quite, that was all 3,5mm-stuff. but its always a good idea to use big, massive equipment. good luck with modding your PC to XLR-connectors tho^^

Spanks
30-09-06, 08:30
Modding to XLR probably isnt a problem, but its pretty much useless since you cant use a true balanced signal anyway with a regular PC soundcard.