PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Any ever play Clive Barkers: Undying?

Clive tombstone
22-09-06, 19:44
The topic says it all. Great story, decent grafics for the time (hey it came out in 1997 I think, on the unreal, and it still looks sweet) Nice dark humor here and there to keep it fresh. And plenty of intruige and plot to keep it going. That and a nice twist on combat also.

anyone play it?

Hell-demon
22-09-06, 21:46
didn't it get bad reviews? :wtf:

Glok
22-09-06, 22:00
didn't it get bad reviews? :wtf:NC1 got bad reviews... :angel:

Clive tombstone
22-09-06, 22:54
I dont know how it can get bad reviews if it won the Gamespy "best games you never played" award =P. The downfall of this game was that it came out when the company perducing went belly up. So the game got no coverage and no publicity, the game itself is pretty unnerving (in a good way) lots of terror and panicy-ness! awsome fun scary time!

Jodo
23-09-06, 01:12
I played it a while ago. It's got an interesting story to it as you might expect. I don't think I ever bothered completing it though. I was probably enticed by a new game like KotOR as I think that was about the time I had a play of it. The scrying ability is quite cool and it adds to the general creepiness of the game.
It reminded me of a game called "Killing Time" that I played on a friend’s 3DO way back. That had some cool creepy stuff too and the gunshots sounded great when we fed it through his stereo. :D

Rage
23-09-06, 03:00
the mayne character was based off Clive Barker's idea view of a gay sexy man (im not joking)

he actually said this.. i aint even know Clive Barker was a homo till that shyt came out

rob444
23-09-06, 10:21
I've played it and I finished it.

Awesome story, great fear effects, cool effects on those panels that warp infront of you in the other dimensions and cool spells and weapons. One weapon is also rumored to bring forth the evil within you, and I sure loved that weapon and used it most of the time ^^.

I really liked the game and I even picked it up to play it all over again but I just couldn't. It's never the same if you've completed it once :(.

And too bad they never released Clive Barker's Undying 2 :/ - it sure was needed (you know what I mean if you've completed the game).

Aerasin
23-09-06, 10:52
Excellent game. I couldn't finish it the first time around as it creeped me out too much. Some years later I finally got around to playing through the game.

Clive tombstone
23-09-06, 16:49
Honestly I loved the game a ton, I loved how well each character was written in. Everyone from Patric to Joseph, to Otto was given a good ammount of deph, and there was plenty of sense that they existed fora good reason in each plot development, and the story as a whole.

The game also had one of my favorite boss battles of all time also, when you finally have a show down with otto. The battle "feels" like a magus battle (a true mage battle) seeing how both characters at that point to some degree ARE equal in power, and you both have flight (well you do to some degree) and you have to use every little spell and physical weapon you have to win.
The battle just felt cinematic and epic is all Im saying, and probably the reason why I felt so good when I finally beat the bastard.

just my two cents on that o course

Scanner Darkly
24-09-06, 14:30
This looks like fun. I played the demo way back when, but this is the first time I gave the full game a try.

It reminds me of Realms of the Haunting, which I think was one of the best games in the Scary FPS sub-genre, even though that one hasn't aged nearly as well as Undying.

It's on Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=889), but all you're getting there is a cut down version of the game without any of the cool video cut scenes (yeah these were actually pretty cool)

What looks like a : decent ROTH site (http://www.realmsofthehaunting.com/).

Now I'm gonna get done for advertising :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rob444
24-09-06, 15:15
Honestly I loved the game a ton, I loved how well each character was written in. Everyone from Patric to Joseph, to Otto was given a good ammount of deph, and there was plenty of sense that they existed fora good reason in each plot development, and the story as a whole.

The game also had one of my favorite boss battles of all time also, when you finally have a show down with otto. The battle "feels" like a magus battle (a true mage battle) seeing how both characters at that point to some degree ARE equal in power, and you both have flight (well you do to some degree) and you have to use every little spell and physical weapon you have to win.
The battle just felt cinematic and epic is all Im saying, and probably the reason why I felt so good when I finally beat the bastard.

just my two cents on that o course

Lol when I battled him, I just used the scytche to cut his head off in one blow ^^. Wasn't meant to kill him so fast :/

Clive tombstone
24-09-06, 18:40
no offence, but I think yer lying dude, just to test you, where do you fight him man? You cant cut off his head.

rob444
24-09-06, 21:43
Lying? rofl. You are talking about that boss that levitates right? The area was like, I don't really recall but I remember it as a cylindric area and you could levitate a little bit as well if I'm correct? All I did was jump out at him and hit him with the scytche and his head fell off...

edit: might have been a bug? I used the first version of the game, not sure if there are patches though..

Aerasin
24-09-06, 21:52
The only patch for the game was to fix some graphical issues.

You fight him in Oneiros on his Ziggurat (pyramid), and then once you do enough damage you jump down this hole in the top to a tall area with a lot of balconies, where you jump back and forth across them trying to hit him in the process. As I recall once you get to that portion it doesn't take very many hits to kill him, like 4 or so.

landofcake
24-09-06, 22:56
Great game ...

rob444
24-09-06, 23:03
The only patch for the game was to fix some graphical issues.

You fight him in Oneiros on his Ziggurat (pyramid), and then once you do enough damage you jump down this hole in the top to a tall area with a lot of balconies, where you jump back and forth across them trying to hit him in the process. As I recall once you get to that portion it doesn't take very many hits to kill him, like 4 or so.

Ahh that explains why I chopped his head off then ^^

Clive tombstone
24-09-06, 23:45
well I apologize about calling you a liar, its simply because I've tested that a bunch of times (I played through the game about 3 times, 2 on normal, and one on hard (second time on nornal using cheats to see different things and screw around)) The other reason was seeing how... *Spoilers* He'd kinda need to "keep his head" seeing how he makes re-aperances at the end of the game, and it was still attatched *nerd moment* also he wasnt affected by the families curse, so he wasnt immortal ether. The other bit that set me off was also seein how you said it was a one hit kill in the first stage of the fight (before the cilinder pit fall part), that woulda screwed things up for his Cinematic death if I recal correctly.

Ill give you the benefit of the doupt, but I played through the game unpatched as well and Ive fought him a few times (mostly because I enjoyed the fight so much), and even WITH the Scyth of Celt, and good timeing *yes, aiming right at the neck* I never could decap the mad magus.

/Rant off

Jodo
25-09-06, 02:05
Games have rarely been accurate when it comes to stuff like that. Especially with the cut-scenes. A very common one (although there are a few games out now that try to keep it accurate) is the change to standard weapon (pistol usually). No matter what weapon you're carrying it changes back to the standard starter weapon for the cut-scenes even if theres no ammo left for it. :confused: Then it'll change back again when you take back control of the game.

Aerasin
25-09-06, 08:36
Ahh that explains why I chopped his head off then ^^

Your memories might be getting muddled with some of the other bosses in the game, who quite literally die fairly easily if you chop their heads off.

rob444
25-09-06, 10:42
Your memories might be getting muddled with some of the other bosses in the game, who quite literally die fairly easily if you chop their heads off.

Nah I'm pretty sure I killed him in one hit with the scytche, my memories might be vague but I at least know that it took me one hit to kill him at the place with the balconies and from what I recall it was because I chopped his head off and I know it might sound weird but it did happen and I know it couldn't really possibly happen since he reappears in the end and I was as surprised as you because I really thought he was dead ^^.

Bishop Yutani
25-09-06, 14:15
Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Good game. Go buy it, its at Amazon for $8