PDA

View Full Version : [Vote - Terra] Anecdote Competition

Chenoa
17-09-06, 19:46
( Announcement Link (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=135167) )

Now you have to vote for the best anekdote. Sad but true, Terra only sent 2 anekdotes, so both won this competition. You only have to find out, he will be 1st who 2nd winner. So vote for them.
(originally quotet, mistakes, names or formatting is by the author)

Vote open for 10 days !

Number 1 - Terra:

I looked at the tiny key. I couldn't believe that it would grant me access to a new spectrum of experience. Even the prosaic description of "Key for Scout Glider- used" sounded exciting to me. I decided to go to the Outzone Station because that location was the nearest place to a vehicle depot I could think of.

Within minutes I was sprinting down the ramp, vehicle depot tantalizingly close. Even the odd arches seemed to suggest the freedom of flight. I ignored the biting bugs and the approaching snake. At the depot, I wasted no time accessing the interface and selecting the glider. It popped up, brushed metal wings dully gleaming in the afternoon sun.

I joyfully leaped in and immediately gunned the engine, and the whole unit leaped forward, slamming into a dense shrub which scraped the fragile wings hideously. Terrified, I leapt off and recalled the glider to examine the damage. Tremendous damage was done, and I clicked the option to have the depot repair it automatically.

Excitement deflating, I carefully selected it again and went to it as it appeared. I took things slowly, and took care to point the craft in a different direction before I applied power to the engine. The unit started moving slowly, wings majestically catching the wind... and I felt the bounds of gravity fall away.

I was flying! Flying! Joy leaped in my heart as I started to clear the nearby tree, looking beyond it. I circled left, then right, the graceful passage of the glider cutting sweeps through the air. It was so beautiful, this freedom! In a single moment, I could fly over even the sky-reaching structure of the Main Neocron Entrance.

I took the craft north, the trees diminishing to nothing below me in my great height. The ponds around Jeriko Fortress glittered like sapphire gems, and I soared, dancing around clouds. It was the most beautiful feeling in my life as I flew towards Tech Haven.

Number 2 - Terra:

The sun rose over the canyon's slopes as night progressed into morning.
At a nearby ASG terminal, two runners locked and loaded their
weapons.The first one climbed into the driver's seat of the big vehicle stationed
next to them, and a plume of exhaust shot from the back of the Rhino as
the gears shifted to a start. The second runner climbed on top of the
bulky vehicle and entered it through the hatch on top. The vehicle roared into
action as the two runners drove off down the road. By the time they reached
the next area of the canyon, the sky's forebodeing look gave way to thick,
gray clouds which released a hard, driving rain as the two runners progressed
through the coagulating sand.After a few hours of this routine killing, the two runners
continued on down the road. Since they had been doing this for quite some time now, the
route was getting boring, so they decided to turn off down another road in hopes of finding
more inspiring game. No Law enforcer was inside the head of the driver, yet there was one inside the gunner, so
frequently the driver bailed out of the vehicle to save it from destruction. They continued down into
the next sector, when all of a sudden, an anti-vehicle rocket slammed into the side of the Rhino,
rocking it to the side. Instinctively, the driver jumped out and ran towards the nearest tree.
As she ran, her flesh disolved into thin air, as the cloak activator on her arm removed any physical
appearance of her body. The gunner turned to look at the disturbance and saw they had stumbled upon
an outpost occupied by Anti-City runners. A second rocket impacted the side of the Rhino, but because the gunner
had his Law Enforcer implant in, the vehicle didn't take any damage. After a few more shots, a few
other runners came out of the woodwork, and they approached the gunner. "You can't sit here forever,"
said one, meanincingly. Another said, "For 200,000 nc, we will let you pass." The gunner knew how to
keep his cool in these high-risk situations, and he calmly replied, "You won't get a credit out of me."
"Too bad your driver ditched you here," said the rocketeer. "Yeah," said the second one "we can sit here
all day and wait for him to return."

The gunner quickly enguaged his communicator, and said to his teammate "What are you doing? We need to get out
of here!" There wasn't a reply on the other end, and the gunner feared the worst. Time passed as the trio had
a long stand-off. The gunner was starting to give up hope, knowing that if he left the Rhino, the Law Enforcer
rules no longer applied, and their beloved killing machine would surely be destroyed. Suddenly, a lone figure appeared on
top of the mountain behind them. Before he had time to ponder what it was, the monk standing at the entrance to the outpost
dropped dead. The next thing happened in what seemed to be one moment. The communicator the gunner had was flooded
with messages of an op war, and, out of nowhere, pro-city runners poured into the base. Hoverbombers emerged over
the sides of the mountains, and ground vehicles of all sorts sped up and parked at the edges of the base as units hopped out.
The base was flooded with the sounds of battle, as plasma rifles shot stray blasts into the burning sky, as rocket pounded
the walls of the outpost, as crackling bangs of psi-powers were casted on runners, and as bodies dropped to the ground.
Within minutes, the place was drenched in blood, and only the howling of the wind could be heard. Some of the vehicles parked here
would not be driven home. Slowly, runners who had survived walked back to their vehicles and left. The gunner opened
the hatch on top of the Rhino, and cautiously stepped out. He looked to the mountain tops again, but saw no one. The silent
patter of rain came into perspective, as the skies broke once again and let out a cleansing rain. It seemed that the blood was
washed away in this battle. He felt bad that he himself didn't, and couldn't partake in the battle, but he knew what happened
here was surely a portrayal of teamwork at its finest. He looked around the dead outpost, when he heard footsteps behind him.
He turned around, and found his sister there behind him. "What happened?! Where did you go!?" She smiled at him and led him
by hand back to their Rhino. He noticed her hair was drenched from the pouring rain. "Where...where were you?" He asked again,
and she said "I took cover by that tree over there when I heard the rockets going off." The tank was still worked up
from the event that had occured. "You should have seen it! The stand-off was tedius, I didn't know how it would end! But all of
a sudden, I saw this sleek figure on top of the hill..." "Oh, really?" his sister asked. "Yes, I saw this figure, and then the
next thing I know, that monk standing over there was dead." His sister looked at him. "Hmm. She must have been a good sniper."
"How did you know it was a female?" She smiled as she got back into the drivers seat.

Skusty
17-09-06, 19:55
Rofl, only 2? =D

unreal
17-09-06, 19:59
Looks like I'm the first to vote for #2. I prefer it simply because it was more than just flying around in a Glider (sorry whoever wrote it :o). I'd rather think about an anti-vehicle rocket launcher plowing into the side of a huge vehicle then trivializing over how many limbs would be ripped from their corpse. :cool:

Heavyporker
17-09-06, 20:25
I'm shocked!

I thought for sure there would be at least FOUR! What the hell happened here?!

:(

CMaster
17-09-06, 20:31
I'm shocked!

I thought for sure there would be at least FOUR! What the hell happened here?!

:(

I was lazy and busy with other RP projects is my excuse.

Heavyporker
17-09-06, 20:40
BAH HUMBUG!!!

giga191
17-09-06, 21:36
There's no chance for a late entry right? i wouldn't mind that people have already voted, and i only now really know what an anecdote is :D

Hell-demon
18-09-06, 00:14
WTF!

I would of written one but no one told me if it could be made up sooo....bollox!

Diabolism
18-09-06, 00:26
second one, just cos i bet the sniper was hot

Hell-demon
18-09-06, 00:27
fine... 2nd one

Heavyporker
18-09-06, 02:25
Mine's true story, though.

Immersion
18-09-06, 04:34
I meant to do one, but then just never got around to it. Maybe there will be another contest sometime?

giga191
18-09-06, 08:24
i demand a rematch!

Brammers
18-09-06, 10:42
The writter who purchased their vehicle from Phoenix Ltd got my vote! :D

Kierz
18-09-06, 12:31
extend it by a few days tbh, it makes sense if there's people in the thread saying they'd do it now

Mortikai
19-09-06, 00:01
I dont think the rules should be changed. Sure, most people didn't see the original contest, but, to quote the original page :
All participant who won´t notice this, won´t take part at this competition!

Mine's real too, btw.

Heavyporker
19-09-06, 01:47
Oh, and by the way, Brammers... I think it was you that sold the first glider key to that particular character. ;)

Pantho
19-09-06, 11:49
Prizes:
1.) WoC 3 PA + Gold Cup
2.) Master Hunter Trophy + Silver Cup
3.) Copbot Trophy + Bronze Cup

omg why didnt i send one...

Copbot trophy straight away there...

giga191
19-09-06, 14:37
fucking gay, i didn't know what an anecdote was :D

CMaster
19-09-06, 14:51
fucking gay, i didn't know what an anecdote was :D
You know, its quite easy to find out what things are/mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org and http://en.wikitionary.org
http://www.google.co.uk
http://www.answers.com

giga191
19-09-06, 16:48
what the originally task was said to be
write an anecdote about the best, the most beautiful experience at a special place in the world of NC

the criteria as i understood it: it has to be beautiful, and it has to be at a special place. looking at the 2 entries, if i knew that something like that was appropriate then i could have written about 1000 different ones, most of which would have been better than the entries (no offence)

Heavyporker
19-09-06, 16:58
what the originally task was said to be

the criteria as i understood it: it has to be beautiful, and it has to be at a special place. looking at the 2 entries, if i knew that something like that was appropriate then i could have written about 1000 different ones, most of which would have been better than the entries* * (no offence)

I'm sorry, but I've got to point out a few things: If you cannot even master the basic points of grammar and use the correct words for the context, and if you couldn't even bother to look up one single word that an entire contest hinges on and was explained (Perhaps not clearly but the concept still got across.), then I doubt you'd be able to write a proper anecdote. Not to mention, the concept of beautiful seems to be lost on you, judging from your previous history, giga191.

Oh, and I must point out that the concept of 'special' seems to be misunderstood by you if you thought that these submitted ancedotes weren't set in special locations. It's not just novelty of location, it's the significance of the referred location to the person. Like if someone met at a McDonald's, fell in love, and got married at that location. That McDonald's may not be special to you, but it became emotionally significant to the example couple.

*sigh*

Look what you did. You got me wound up.

giga191
19-09-06, 20:54
[Self edited - avoiding a ban]

ZoVoS
19-09-06, 21:06
doesn't mean i wouldn't have been able to beat you with my hands tied behind my back.

typing with ur all powerfull winky?

giga191
19-09-06, 21:34
It was a day like no other. I had just woken up with a splintering headache, "Man! I must have had one to many Cron Beers last night", I thought to myself. As I rose up to get out of bed, I felt a searing pain spread across my head. I looked up, my eyes were greeted not by rays of sunlight that I was so used to, but instead by the vision of a cold, humming fluorescent light. As I became more aware of my surroundings, I suddenly felt a chill go through my body. Maybe it was the cold steel that I was laying on, or maybe the feeling of being in this unfamiliar concrete room. Carefully I stood up and realised that there were two armed men in the room with me. Still not being fully awake, I stumbled across the floor towards the guard next to the gravity lift. He gave me a dirty look and motioned his head towards the lift. Upon reaching the top of the lift I saw the words MC5 sitting menacingly above the blast doors. I didn't know what this meant, nor did I particularly care at the time. As I approached the doors I heard the hissing of gas, before the doors began to slide open. I stepped through the doors and felt slight tingle in my nose as I inhaled the chemically treated air. At the other end of the room was another set of blast doors, similar to those i had just walked through. Still in a dream-like state I began to walk towards the doors. As i reached the middle of the room, I became more aware of a dark figure hunched over a computer in the corner. He seemed to be shaking slightly, although I could not quite tell what he was doing. I looked nervously over his shoulder and I faintly recognised the image on the monitor as a Night Elf from World of Warcraft, only naked. Walking slightly closer, just out of mere curiosity of course, I saw a name tag attached to the man's jacket on the chair. Not being able to read it so well upside down, I walked closed and read the name Heavyporker. The next moment, the figure seemed to stop shaking and almost as if out of no where, he jumped to his feet, penis still visible, and shouted, "Captain! This is not what it looks like!". My eyes would never be the same again

Heavyporker
19-09-06, 21:41
Do you really want to enter into a literary war with me? You don't want me as an enemy. I'm going to give you a chance to throw up your hands and gracefully withdraw.

Hell-demon
19-09-06, 21:43
Right back at ya HP :D

giga191
19-09-06, 21:57
I'm just glad you think of it as a piece literacy :D :lol:

Heavyporker
20-09-06, 01:25
I'm just glad you think of it as a piece literacy :D :lol:

WTF is that supposed to mean? A piece of literature? What?

Okay, see, this is what I was talking about. You just blew yourself out of the water in this little... squabble.

Roc-a-fella
20-09-06, 01:34
Carebear.

btw porky i cant find your pics anywhere it seems

giga191
20-09-06, 08:10
WTF is that supposed to mean? A piece of literature? What?

Okay, see, this is what I was talking about. You just blew yourself out of the water in this little... squabble.
"a piece of [a person's knowledge of a particular subject or field]"
it makes perfect sense :D

i can do english good

EDIT: i'll do another one later for you

giga191
20-09-06, 14:38
[EDIT-double post]

giga191
20-09-06, 14:38
[ edited ]

RogerRamjet
20-09-06, 16:20
Danger, adventure, subtlety.

Gigas anectode has it all.

5 stars.

giga191
20-09-06, 16:36
voting is now officially open for entry no.3 :D

Louiscypher
20-09-06, 16:40
I have never on any forums seens someone make another person shut up in such a subtle and perfect way.

I truly enjoy these forums, you are all mad people.

Dribble Joy
20-09-06, 17:17
O_o

Someone's going to be gone for a while....

giga191
20-09-06, 17:18
i doubt it

EDIT: so does that mean that i have your vote dribble?

Nidhogg
20-09-06, 17:51
i doubt it

EDIT: so does that mean that i have your vote dribble?
That all depends on whether Heavy finds your joke funny or not. Jury's still out on that one, but it hasn't gone unnoticed.

N

giga191
20-09-06, 17:54
I guess we'll see if we was up for that battle or if he's going to chicken out after I showed my guns :D

EDIT: did you expect me to let heavyporker's personal attacks just slide by me? ;)

Nidhogg
20-09-06, 18:41
EDIT: did you expect me to let heavyporker's personal attacks just slide by me? ;)
The forum rules state:
Acceptable Ways To Deal With Insults And Attacks
There will be no insulting, harassing or 'flaming' other forum members or clans. This also includes responding to such behaviour. Also remember to use the “report post to moderator” function if you take offence to a post.
N

Heavyporker
20-09-06, 19:31
----------------
Thank you for your concern, Niddhogg, but giga191 redeemed himself with this little story.

----------------

An amusing retort, much higher quality than your first one but still afflicted with grammatical errors. However, for a second try, it's suprisingly good. I think I'll rise to the occasion.

----------------

Let's see what I can do with a few minutes.

giga191
20-09-06, 20:23
----------------
Thank you for your concern, Niddhogg, but giga191 redeemed himself with this little story.

----------------

An amusing retort, much higher quality than your first one but still afflicted with grammatical errors. However, for a second try, it's suprisingly good. I think I'll rise to the occasion.

----------------

Let's see what I can do with a few minutes. jolly good :D

Nidhogg, may i repost it now? (yes i did save it in a .txt file just incase you were going to edit it)

Nidhogg
20-09-06, 21:28
jolly good :D

Nidhogg, may i repost it now? (yes i did save it in a .txt file just incase you were going to edit it)
I would strongly advise against it. You should remember the nationality of the people who develop this game before posting such comments in future.

N

giga191
20-09-06, 21:41
I would strongly advise against it. You should remember the nationality of the people who develop this game before posting such comments in future.

N ok boss, it stays on my HDD. there was limited stuff to write about seeing as i had to aim to end the story with that expression in some way :D

i'll try to write a real one tomorow for the sake of it, but right now my literacy skills are needed for writing my personal statement for university

Clobber
21-09-06, 00:56

N

It was funny. I thought we were past the whole John Cleese 'dont mention the war' thing.

Heavyporker
21-09-06, 05:14
Aw.... Has it been deleted already?

I wanted to use it as a reference for my retort. Now I wish I copied and pasted it into a backup txt file.

edit: (Oh, retort just about done. Since Nidhogg won't permit delightful literary skirmishes to take place in this thread, I'll just PM you the text, giga191. Or should I say, booya2U? *cough* Bad pun, but I couldn't resist.)

Nidhogg
21-09-06, 08:56
You can "delightfully" talk about the competition as much as you like (within reason). Anything else, take to PMs.

N

giga191
21-09-06, 12:24
[ edit - I said get back on topic ]

giga191
21-09-06, 21:00
[ edited ]

Heavyporker
22-09-06, 03:54
Giga191, I don't know what you keep saying that has Nid all over this thread like a.. erm... Raccoon to a garbage can... but let's let this particular topic die.

Anyways, as anyone knows who read the Anecdote announcement thread, I have no use at all for WoC PA, and asked if I could trade it for multiple master hunter trophies. To that I got no reply.

So, my story was PERFECTLY targeted for second place, since I'm essentially guaranteed one master hunter trophy, which is what I really wanted. A cup trophy isn't so bad either. I already earned Master Hunter #2 and #3 by dint of sheer effort. This competition serves to get me #1. I'm essentially completed except for some bat, hoverbomber, and stormbot trophies.

There's no way my plan can fail me. Even I don't have enough enemies that'd try to spoil it by voting for my story so I get shoved into first place. There's a reason why it rocks to be me, guys.

Apocalypsox
22-09-06, 04:03
bah if i had known what an anecdote was id have continued the Warbot story and finished it and entered it :(

Forget My Name
22-09-06, 20:52
2 entries from terra? Thats 20% of the server!

I vote for the second one.

NAPPER
26-09-06, 03:32
bah if i had known what an anecdote was id have continued the Warbot story and finished it and entered it :(

that story was kool plus i didnt have a clue what one was as well lol o_O

Heavyporker
26-09-06, 05:04
Why....do people have such difficulty with coming up with the notion of looking up a word the don't know in a dictionary?!

NAPPER
26-09-06, 05:17
Why....do people have such difficulty with coming up with the notion of looking up a word the don't know in a dictionary?!

cos you have to stop playing nc to do that ;)

Game_Over
26-09-06, 11:25
It sounds like people were more confused by the context that the word was written in than the word itself. Or at least, I would be

Chenoa
30-09-06, 11:01
Mars:
Nr 1 : 703
Nr 2 : Dr Fallout
Nr 3 : Lewis Kayne
Nr 4 : Lyn Panterauge
Nr 5 : Rookie-Doo
Winner :
1. Rookie-Doo
2. Lewis Kyane
3. 703

Mercury : Winner: Pagemasterin

Terra:
Nr 1 : Beggar Jeggar
Nr 2 : Mortikai Darkstar
Winner :
1. Mortikai Darkstar
2. Beggar Jeggar

I will try to meet the both winner to give them their prizes. (feel free to send me a mail ( chenoa@reakktor.com ) to let me know when you will be online, so i dont have to search you over weeks :P )

Because of only 8 anecdotes in the competion, i will set up all 8 NPCs as soon as possible. Will let you know here, when they will be online.

Heavyporker
30-09-06, 14:49
*cheers*

Chenoa
05-07-07, 09:16
Mars:
"703" - location: Pepper Park 3, Citycoms
"Dr.Fallout" - location: Jeriko , Cage
"Lewis Kayne" - location: J02, crossroad
"Lyn Panterauge" -location: in front of Regant Legacy under the bridge
"Rookie-Doo" - location: Jankins Lab, arround the GR at the fence

Mercury: