PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Windows Vista and NC

Spanks
17-09-06, 07:57
Decided to make another thread about this specific topic. So, anyone got NC working on Vista? I get it to boot up alright, but in game screen flashes white every few seconds and game pauses for 1-2 seconds. Like I didnt suck enough already in PvP, so this really gives me an extra edge :lol:

Darq[Terra]
17-09-06, 10:24
It seems to work OK for me. Got into the game okay, ran around a bit, and figured I'd blitz through some sewers, but after about 20 minutes, my mouse and keyboard suddenly quit working, and all I could do was sit in annoyance watching my defenseless character get killed. Not sure if it was Neocron, Vista, or what, but I ended up having to power off the system to get it back up.

Pantho
17-09-06, 12:29
Considering the vast upcoming release of Vista and win64 applications and machines.

Shouldnt this problem be fixed? lol

Nidhogg
17-09-06, 12:44
Considering the vast upcoming release of Vista and win64 applications and machines.

Shouldnt this problem be fixed? lol
Good point. Seeing as how video drivers aren't optimised for Vista yet I suggest that's where you start.

N

rob444
17-09-06, 13:09
Works just fine here.

Using Windows Vista RC1 (latest), with ATI's Vista drivers that is more or less optimized for Windows Vista...

Screeny: http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4219/nc2vistazg9.jpg

Now to sort that payment issue with c2p....

unreal
17-09-06, 17:29
Works perfectly fine here (either with or without compatibility mode enabled), except for the inability to successfully alt-tab which I've already spoke about somewhere. I actually get a considerable performance boost when playing Neocron on Vista, the only downside is, apart from the alt-tabbing problem, it's usually a pain in the arse when I get a FRE. Vista will start generating reports to see if there's a fix for the problem, plus shuffling data to/from memory/the page file. Starting Neocron is generally a bit slower for me compared to XP.

I did have a slight graphics glitch when using Vista Beta 2 and the older (88.61) Nvidia drivers. The main menu would be full of triangular malformations, and when I had drugflash, I would get the same triangular effect which partially removed the drugflash effect, so I could basically see (slightly) through my incredibly bad drugflash. Didn't stop me running round in circles though, and it was still difficult to read anything, but just enough to see where I was wobbling to, so it's not like I had much of an advantage there. :rolleyes: That problem disappeared with Vista RC1 and the latest (96.33) drivers.

Spanks
17-09-06, 20:10
Oh yea.. I forgot to mention my specs, Radeon x1900 and Athlon X2 4400+, I play fullscreen, doesnt work.

rob444
17-09-06, 20:36
What about windowed mode?

zii
18-09-06, 02:34
How about on FC6 when its out ;) ?

Darq[Terra]
18-09-06, 08:46
I'm running on my laptop, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M - Granted, I'm only running Beta 2 (5384), but I've been forced to stick with Microsoft's ATI driver instead of ATI's. The ATI driver causes my screen to go black after the user login (though I can see my mouse cursor and Windows is still functional, just not visible), so I had to roll back. Will try updating to a newer build of Vista later this week and reload the drivers again.

james_finn
10-10-06, 02:22
Ok, so ive just installed the RC2 for windows Vista, I thought id fire neocron up and see if it works.

Well in one word.... no.

Even with Windows XP compatibility checked and administrator rights checked, the client from NC2 wont load, not even the launcher will load. Now I also have the nc1 launcher still on my PC (Dont ask why lol) so I thought id try that. This time the launcher did load, but instead of nice pictures there was some indiscernable code, and also some memory errors written inside the window.

I hope that KK are looking into having the game at least work with Vista?

/Delphi

Glok
10-10-06, 02:26
A few others on the forum are using Vista and successfully running NC2 on it.. but not me so I'll let them help ya. Just chiming in as first reply.. or something.

Darq[Terra]
10-10-06, 02:53
Yeah, I haven't updated to RC2 yet, so I'm just running RC1 here, but NC2 seems to run just fine under it, therefore I would initially have to assume it's a driver issue you're experiencing. I do have User Access Controls shut off though, so maybe you should try that if you haven't already.

Brammers
10-10-06, 11:08
@ Delphi, did you get your sound drivers installed last night?

I got a sneaky feeling NC won't go without sound drivers. Think Heavyporker had this issue.

rob444
10-10-06, 11:24
RC2? According to www.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/ (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/) there is only a RC1 out?

Brammers
10-10-06, 11:43
RC2? According to www.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/ (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/) there is only a RC1 out?

It came out a few days ago, and it's definatly on my MSDN available downloads list.

Nidhogg
10-10-06, 12:11
See if you can find any help on this thread (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=135765). Some people on that thread have NC successfully running on Vista (running better than XP in fact).

N

james_finn
10-10-06, 12:35
@ Delphi, did you get your sound drivers installed last night?

I got a sneaky feeling NC won't go without sound drivers. Think Heavyporker had this issue.

Nope stupid creative drivers wont install in vista... So im thinking that might be the problem, although I cant even get the launcher up :S

/Delphi

unreal
10-10-06, 12:45
@Rob: Windowed mode is sexy, although at times it's incredibly slow at starting up, logging into a character, and trying to quit back to the main menu. I ran Disk Cleanup and deleted all temporary files, etc and it seemed to solve the problem for a while.

Try to ignore the naff wallpaper, just a random piece of garble I made in Photoshop. :p

http://boobsandguns.org/junk/vistacron.jpg

Brammers
10-10-06, 13:15
/Me spots Ureal using MySQL and Pico. :D

unreal
10-10-06, 13:23
Nano, but that's basically the same thing. I still use the old pico -cw command to launch it. :rolleyes:

netster
10-10-06, 13:44
well i dont know a clue, what u're doing or what u wanted to install ...

i did install all vista versions except rc2 on my lil amd64 3200+ / asus k8v / 1gig ram with onboard sound+lan ... i needed to install new sounddrivers, but all works perfect with cron.

Heavyporker
10-10-06, 14:03
No, Neocron runs without sound drivers. It's fucking Myst: Exile that won't run without sound drivers.

Now, perhaps this is a different matter in Vista, though, so go ahead and try to fix sound issues in Vista.

I guess I should download that Vista Beta, huh?

Pantho
10-10-06, 15:06
Pantho senses a Thread merger -

btw. Sexy background unreal

Nidhogg
10-10-06, 15:13
Threads merged. It's a good idea to keep all this on one thread in the unlikely event that someone does a search later. :p

N

unreal
10-10-06, 16:09
Just started cleaning up my hard drives to be able to install RC2, which is more annoying than hearing the FRE sound. :p I can never be bothered to whack stuff onto a DVDR, so I just move everything onto one of my 15 hard drives - and I've been doing that for about 8 months now and they're all pretty much full. :( Already deleted as much as I can with 200GB remaining, which means I'm gonna have to spend the next few hours burning discs. Argh. Gonna have to spend a lot more time cleaning those other drives up. :o

@Pantho (or anyone): Feel free to download it here (http://boobsandguns.org/junk/bg1.png), or check the attachment.

rob444
10-10-06, 19:21
Well I found a Vista RC2 link and that redirected me to microsoft.com/WindowsVista/ which only announces RC1. Not sure why they have not updated their site yet which I find weird. Anyone knows if there will be some sort of Windows Update for RC1 users to upgrade to RC2 instead of reinstalling the entire OS? :P

rob444
10-10-06, 21:59
Well I've looked up RC2 thoroughly now. I can't find it on microsoft.com or msdn.com. I found a blog at msdn.com that said that RC2 was released and it was written 7th of october. It said that the RC2 release was called "RC1" on connect.microsoft.com , probably a mistake by microsoft. The blog also contained two links to download it. Connect.microsoft.com didn't give me access even if I was logged in and the other link redirected me to microsoft.com/windowsvista/ which of course contains no information about a RC2 release.

It seems RC2 was slipped out and then slipped back in again?

But then again, I've even found links to Vista RC3, lol...

james_finn
10-10-06, 23:42
Well I've looked up RC2 thoroughly now.

Seems M$ have pulled rc2 linky (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34854).... wonder why?

/Delphi

Brammers
10-10-06, 23:49
Seems M$ have pulled rc2 linky (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34854).... wonder why?

/Delphi

Hmm just checked my subscriber downloads in the MSDN, and it's still there, and I can download it.

I think the inquirer just happened to be one of those people who's net cut out IMHO.

james_finn
13-10-06, 00:40
Ok so ive solved my driver issues (Creative released a new RC2 driver for the XFi range) and ive reinstalled neocron 2 and patched it (By the way to patch you need to run the launcher in admin mode). But now when I try to get in game the client goes to the windowed black screen for a split second and then closes. I also cannot get into the hardware setup as it will do the same.... Anyone any ideas?

/Delphi

P.S. Drivers are Nvidia x64 and S/C is Creative x64

rob444
13-10-06, 09:35
Tried compatibility mode Windows XP SP2 on client.exe?

unreal
13-10-06, 13:58
Have you should scouted around a few of the log files, particularly logs/Init.log, and see if it gives any hints as to what's happening? Unfortunately none of the logs are really that detailed. Does it only happen with Neocron or other games too? If it does happen with other games, check their logs files (they'll probably be very useful to you) as well.

As for not being able to use the Configure Hardware window on the launcher (I'm guessing you meant that window), check and see if neocron.ini is read-only. When the launcher finds that neocron.ini is read-only the window closes straight away.