PDA

View Full Version : A Hard Act to Follow

Glok
07-09-06, 04:41
[ edited - religious spam, completely unrelated to the next post ]

Glok
07-09-06, 04:55
Here's something to ponder (kinda bugs me out too), well if you know about biology and anatomy a bit you probably know that every single cell in our body is replaced every 7 years. Not only that, but neurons in the brain have very complex and distinct interconnections. But fuck the neurons..

So if every 7 years your body has been completely reconstituted what the hell are you, the real you, the one that gets a new form every 7 years. That shit is fucked up! I figure it's something to do with DNA and a precise genetic uniqueness that somehow um what? reverberates or focuses or encodes or... anchors.. fuck. If ever there was something that proves life is more than the physical I guess this is it.

Me, I give up. I can't make or unmake myself I'm just a slave to momentum.

Chimp
07-09-06, 05:34
you are a very strange person...

Glok
07-09-06, 05:36
NO IM NORMAL DAMNIT

FUCk yUo ALL CAPS f1lTER!

Apocalypsox
07-09-06, 05:58
i like glok more and more. too bad ive never seen you ingame =/ atleast dont think i have. :( we oughta get together some time and talk about some of this shit :lol:

*Dazz*
07-09-06, 06:00
i like glok more and more. too bad ive never seen you ingame =/ atleast dont think i have. :( we oughta get together some time and talk about some of this shit :lol:

I agree

Glok
07-09-06, 12:32
I'll probably get the nerve to log on today and start LoMing one of my 2 combat chars... if so I'll have plenty of time to talk. :)

Hell-demon
07-09-06, 12:58
Actually Glok has a point. But what's important is you are not your matter.

What makes you changes every 7 years, FACT. But what sets you apart from your organs and flesh is the actions you take. Your (for a choice of better words) soul, who you are, is what counts.

carecare
07-09-06, 13:56
You are all the stageprops in my personal play of life.

Riddle
07-09-06, 14:01
body and mind.

Why call it "MY" hand, "MY" leg, "MY" arm?? for if your hand constitutes part of your makeup would you not call it "I" hand?

The body is like a tool to carry out your desire not you!

Glok
07-09-06, 14:14
Yeah I've considered my body a tool for a long time. ;)

Mighty Max
07-09-06, 15:00
Here's something to ponder (kinda bugs me out too), well if you know about biology and anatomy a bit you probably know that every single cell in our body is replaced every 7 years. Not only that, but neurons in the brain have very complex and distinct interconnections. But fuck the neurons..

That's only a statistical value. You got cells - including the neuron's - that don't ever get replaced. Ovulae are another kind of cells which don't reproduce in lifetime, but i don't think you got them anyways.

That's why embrionic stem cells are such a high value, they are the only chance to build the long living, never reproduce cells.

Glok
07-09-06, 15:23
Neurons aren't included eh? I knew about ovulae, each female is born with a certain number (though dormant) and that's it.

That kills my theory though if we keep those neurons our entire lives. We could actually be our brains. Bit of a bummer if that's true.

CMaster
07-09-06, 15:28
Yeah, theres a whole load of cellls that don't replace. The idea that your whole body gets replaced is a bit of an urban legend.
Suffice to say that your whole body-weight worth of matieral gets replaced fairly often however.

Mighty Max
07-09-06, 15:31
But it opens another way to get fame, find a way to rebuild neurons and you'll get rich and famous.

No more paraplegia, therapy against mad cow desease and other neuron killing deseases, ...

Glok
07-09-06, 15:40
Yeah I googled that after you mentioned the neurons... I didn't find the 7 year thing but I did find assloads of documentation on trying to repair damage to the brain.
The idea that your whole body gets replaced is a bit of an urban legend.Believe it or not I was taught that in early biology classes as a kid... :lol:

Dribble Joy
07-09-06, 16:29
Most of it is replaced every 10 years, though some brain cells never die.

Also, contrary to poular belief, new brain cells are produced after the brain has finished growing. It's just so slow that it's barely percievable and completely insufficient to repair most brain damage or disease. A large amount of research is now going into how to accelerate the brain's own repair mechanisms.

giga191
07-09-06, 18:02
[ edited ]

Glok
07-09-06, 18:49
Real sure, but all that other stuff? Gotta give the guy props though he has a following of like 2 billion people. Let's keep this in the realm of philosphy though, k? :lol: