PDA

View Full Version : The "Fast" Effect

Neally
02-09-06, 17:27
Hi,

Well, I bought a new computer some time ago.

Here's what it is:

AMD Ath. 4200+ DUAL CORE XS
Geforce GS 7600
1go ddr2
TFT 19".

the rest isn't so important for such the troubles i'm having.

The problem is, my monitor can't go more than 85fps in 1024x768. When I log into Neocron (playing DX7, or DX9), After a while I get like lag troubles, my fps are dropping from 90 to 0 and then go back to 62 then drop down at 0 again.

While i'm having this bug, I have some kind of "Fast effect" of lags. I don't know if you remember, what happens when Neocron's time reaches 0:00. You get a lag, and then you sometimes drop down the map, or just lag when running so you gain like 2/3 m. Thing is, I have this special lag so often that, yesterday, I tagged over 15 GR's with my PPU in less than 10 minutes. I could "run" a wasteland zone in like 10 secs, with a 0/2 no ATL/AGL character (and i was crouching).

Anyone else had this problem before ?

Codrum
02-09-06, 18:32
Problem? What problem? That sounds like a nice "feature" ;)

Try checking your vsync, I think its supposed to be on. Maybe.

CMaster
02-09-06, 18:35
Yah, ensure that vysnch is on.

Mighty Max
02-09-06, 19:33
AMD Ath. 4200+ DUAL CORE XS

Update your mainboard drivers or bind the neocron process to one CPU.

This bug is normally (in other games) caused by an GetTickCount() which is processor dependend. If two different threads of the same game run on one processor each, the tickcount between them can get out of synch.

Some mainboard drivers replace the underlaying hal-function for GetTickCount & co to work with multiple processors. Binding neocron to one CPU is a workaround if no driver is available for you.

retr0n
02-09-06, 19:49
I wonder if the server has flagged you for speedhacking :lol:

aKe`cj
02-09-06, 20:41
/edith: nvm - what mighty pointed out is most likely the cause of your trouble - a forum search would've helped ;)

LiL T
02-09-06, 21:30
/edit no I'm stupid sounds like a wierd bug

running a zone in 10 seconds on a 0/2, humm i think you just won neocron :lol:

Neally
02-09-06, 22:26
/edit no I'm stupid sounds like a wierd bug

running a zone in 10 seconds on a 0/2, humm i think you just won neocron :lol:

but i can't do that in mountains zones, as a 0/2, I fall like 3 mountains in 3 secs and then die *hides*

Neally
03-09-06, 19:41
I tried to turn Vsync ON and OFF. Same problem. But now I gotta try Mighty's solution.

rob444
03-09-06, 21:45
Shouldn't you get disconnected or something? I mean, you are after all sending all those movement & ping packets in uber speed :P.

Mighty Max
03-09-06, 23:09
Shouldn't you get disconnected or something? I mean, you are after all sending all those movement & ping packets in uber speed :P.

I'm not going into detail here because this would be really scrapping at the exploit topic. Let's say it this way, i reported this to the QA with my Observation why it happens and why it isn't autokicked yesterday instantly after i read it.

I guess that even if the auto-kick not jumps in, it still gets logged due to his immense runspeed causing a continuously stream of position correction events (the "warp" effect) on the server. But to ensure KK knows and watches i've sent the report.

Neally
03-09-06, 23:16
I guess Reakktor can't blame me for having some bugs with my hardware stuffs. Also, even If i don't move, or do little move, I never get in a synchronizing or something like this.

Could give me details about what GetTickCount() is for ?

Thank you.

rob444
03-09-06, 23:22
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/gettickcount.asp (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecoreos5/html/wce50lrfGetTickCount.asp)

Mighty Max
03-09-06, 23:44
Oups yeah, the tickCount in windows is only the millisec counter.

look for QueryPerformanceCounter/Frequency for the hardware near functions:

MSDN says:

The QueryPerformanceCounter function retrieves the current value of the high-resolution performance counter.

Remarks

On a multiprocessor computer, it should not matter which processor is called. However, you can get different results on different processors due to bugs in the basic input/output system (BIOS) or the hardware abstraction layer (HAL). To specify processor affinity for a thread, use the SetThreadAffinityMask function.

Blame the gnu-programming on an arm9TS-E platform ive done the last months for referencing the wrong function in my previous posts :p

ZoVoS
04-09-06, 02:45
wtf... no way in hell u havent had a lil red message when loggin in saying ur character has been banned for exploiting yet... it may not be ur fault but the server should realy pick that up as a speed hack... basicaly ur computer is telling the game more time as passed than realy has (as mighty said prolly due to the 2 cpu cores)

there are a whole host of programs out there that can emulate this but i would have asumed the game would recognise it strait away (im sure it did in the past)

rob444
04-09-06, 13:59
I think they removed that speedhack feature, at least in the client. It's still there though but not active or it is active but not verbosely.
I guess too many people got 'speedhack detected' just on a normal run trough nc :rolleyes:

ZoVoS
04-09-06, 14:40
ye maby they dont ban automaticaly... maby people have to look into each case now... im pritty sure when they get around to checking the logs they will ban yo ass =) wether its ur fault or not lol