PDA

View Full Version : Guards and safezones

Kierz
01-09-06, 15:08
First off I don't like the idea of safezones at all in rollplay terms.. hearing a copbot shout at you when you try to draw a weapon doesn't even make sense when you try doing it in doy-cc/mb or any DOY HQs...

Instead of having safezones why can't safezone guards act *like* twister guards, allowing people to draw a weapon but having a damn good reason not to (makes sense in rollplay terms). Although I can see how this could cause problems [eg, zoning in with a weapon drawn and not thinking about it], so instead of making them act on a drawn weapon, change it to act if they do damage to an allied/neutral runner.. and give the same intelligence to the guards in other sectors, but make them protect whoever is allied to their faction [eg, screaming horse guards are cityadmin and would shoot you if you hurt any pro-city (apart from next)].

Another thing is guards camping at all city "zonelines" again in rollplay terms this doesn't make sense cause if neocron was a real world there wouldn't be any zonelines, it would be continuous, so what exactly are they guarding.. you're just using the syncing issues to try and stop raiding (which imo is stupid cause it's FUN and this is a GAME).

Also.. copbots/doy guards should be the only guards with para, the other guards should be the ones that hurt as they only act to protect allied killing, as well as attacking enemies that don't run away after their warnings =]

Oh and guards shouldn't respawn for at least a day of in-game time.. personally I'd say 2/3 days or a week, otherwise there really is no point in killing them when there should be.

TH would need turrets (that are allied to all) around the GR area and at shops (on walls? or tables if the code can't do walls) but the rest of TH should be slightly dangerous ;]

I know *basicly* the same has been said a million times before but whatever, it's nice to be optimistic that things could change if it makes sense to.. any thoughts? =p

Dribble Joy
01-09-06, 15:42
Agree on the fire-upon-firing-upon-allied/neutrals.

As for para... nah.

I say bust guards down to lvl 70 with dmg to match, copbots at lvl 90.

Then make the HQ/P1/MB1 zones like dungeons but with reward for enemy kill.

Would stop small groups/lone killers, but a full raid could only be taken on by another big group.

Add OP zone style bonii for defending players, dependant on level (so lvling isn't affected in the city) and epic status.

carecare
01-09-06, 15:51
I kinda like the twister guard idea, but make it possible for enemy forces to raid the place without the damn parra.
Also, give the guards a +5 sl bonus when you kill them.
The idea for preventing ally killing is cool too.

I do however feel that there should be a safe place for all noobs in both cities and mb to go to to get tradeskills done. It's hard as a new player with no tradeskillers willing to hang out in dangerspots.

Dribble Joy
01-09-06, 15:59
To me, MB sould not be a safe place. It allways was a faction for 'experienced players' and I'd like it to continue to be so.

As for n00bs, well what's the first piece of advice we usually give them?
Keep your LE in.

Bishop Yutani
01-09-06, 16:07
its a real grey area when you talk about safezones and roleplay. In real life, if you try to hurt someone in a public place and you get shot and die, you're really dead. You don't just respawn at your house and berate your victim over chat... and get the opportunity to do it all over again.

If you want to get rid of safezones, you'd have to boost the penalty for shooting someone. If you really want to roleplay, you should be KOS by all NCPD if you shot someone in a place that used to be a safezone.

Me? I'd rather not get shot by some dickbag just because he's bored, regardless of the penalties he earns for doing it.

I will say, however, that safezones and not being able to draw your gun in them is pretty unrealistic, but a lot will need to change to keep high level characters from taking over areas that used to be safe for noobs and tradeskillers.

Darkana
01-09-06, 16:25
Safezones are a foolproof way to implement what carecare mentioned already:
I do however feel that there should be a safe place for all noobs in both cities and mb to go to to get tradeskills done. It's hard as a new player with no tradeskillers willing to hang out in dangerspots.(besides, everyone likes to have a break now and then and hang out with others).

Secondly, Neptune. There has been a similar discussion at the german forums lately, and they were heading about the same way. Neptune has only safezones in HQs and TH if I remember correctly, but noone is playing there, yet there is the more or less regular request for changes/removal of safezones, guard changes etc.

Thirdly, it's a game and as such a number of decisions are made solely in this context. This may lead to inconsistencies with possible real world scenarios. Neocron is no simulation :p

Dribble Joy
01-09-06, 16:30
Secondly, Neptune. There has been a similar discussion at the german forums lately, and they were heading about the same way. Neptune has only safezones in HQs and TH if I remember correctly, but noone is playing there, yet there is the more or less regular request for changes/removal of safezones, guard changes etc.
I'd only ask for safezones to be removed if the guard/SL/symp system behind it was sufficient to deter random killing, where doing so whould have large repercussions on a semi-permanent basis.
Too few aspects of the game are affected by symp/SL currently.