PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Detail Question

Kallima
29-08-06, 18:28
Well guys awhile ago I got rid of my stock Gateway computer and I have a built one now. Slightly new, been using it for a bit.

AMD Athlon 63 3200+, 1GB Corsair RAM, PCI-Express Radeon x600

Anyone know how well this would run with Oblivion or FEAR detail wise?
(I have the FEAR multiplayer, but my defaults with the Detect Settings kept them medium so I haven't screwed with them)

Glok
29-08-06, 19:07
Medium sounds right for both games. You can get a way better pcie card for not much money now though. :)

Tsukasa
29-08-06, 20:10
ya I would definently upgrade the gfx card you can find a x1800 Xt for around $200 U.S.

Bishop Yutani
29-08-06, 20:19
i have a similar rig and FEAR and OB play pretty well. Definately can't use the highest settings, but you could probably get away with a little higher than medium in a few spots.

I had an idea. Depending on what socket size CPU you have, your motherboard might accomodate a much faster processor. The 3200 came in two socket sizes, 754 and 939. If you have the 939, I believe your motherboard can accomodate a much faster chip.

Might be a good idea to check it out and see if you can upgrade a bit.

rob444
29-08-06, 20:42
I can play with highest on fear but the fear engine is weird and has always been 'laggy' for me... I get these small lags, and I dont know what it is. Everyone says it runs fine for them but I am unsure what "fine" is for them... Fear seem to load a lot from the harddrive while in combat and stuff. I do have a 10k rpm harddrive and it's only ~5% fragmented, but yet it's laggy. Not sure why though, feels like it's precaching everything all the time heh :P. (and yes, I've even tried on lowest settings and it is still laggy!)

my specs are intel p4 3.0ghz, 2x512mb pc3200 (yeah a bit slow but in dual mode), asus ati radeon x800 xt platinum edition.

Kallima
29-08-06, 20:51
Well I was just playing and I was messing with the settings a bit and I went for highest so I had major lag in many areas. Someone told me to turn shadows off so now.. it is just a tiny bit slow, but not by much. Looks like the shadows own my graphics card to hell. :P

Bishop Yutani
29-08-06, 22:23
indeed. Lights make shadows, so you might be able to turn down the amount or the quality of lights so you can turn the shadow up a bit. That way, things dont look so fake because they don't have any shadows at all.