PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Mutual bastardisation.

Dribble Joy
26-08-06, 10:15
Some of you may know of an anime called Naruto.
Some of you may know that they have sold it to UK/US TV stations.

Some of you know of a cartoon called The Powerpuff Girls.
Most of you won't know there is now a Japanese made anime version.

Oh the pain.

The 'westernised' Naruto isn't utterly terrible. Most anime fans deride dubbed shows, frequently for their poor voice acting (though many fail to realise that it's hard to tell if the original was any good in the first place). In this case it isn't too bad, but there are some jarring pronounciations. 'Hokage' (more or less pronounced 'hokahgeh' in the original) sounds more like hoe-kargey for example.
Main critisism is the cutting of a large portion of cirtain parts deemed 'unsuitable', mainly the violence, blood and cirtain lines.
Clearly the target audience has been lowered in age, being roughly 13+ in Japan. But it's still annoying.
Overall it's not the worst conversion (nothing like the complete buggary of One Piece), still the annoying nu-metal and R&B beginning and ending songs (thankfully the score in the episodes is the original).

The real pain is with the Powerpuff Girls remake.
The US PPG is awesome (shut it), all the blatant adult references crack me up something chronic (for example: new neighbour moves in, girls introduce girl next door to the proffessor saying: 'This is the Proffessor, he made us by accident in his lab', little girl: 'That's OK, I was an accident too'. Or the episode where the girls get addicted to 'candy').
The Japanese version is a desecration of all that was the original. It's little more than a magical girl anime (a genre that need not be explained, suffice to say they are generally lame) with a PPG branding (done with an iron forged by a coked up turkey farme). The mayor isn't even remoted incompetant, The Proffessor isn't absent minded or a bit nuts. He even has some form of assistant, which is this little boy who's this horrid cliche of a 'good little boy'.
Mojo is only evil because he's 'a talking monkey', and isn't really evil in his mannerisms.
The whole thing is far too cheery and nice. The original of course allways had a happy ending, but it at least had some dark moments along the way.
Gone is most of the humour too.

Gah!

Revenge perhaps? For all the wrongs against animes in the past?

So um.... don't waste brain cells by watching it.

nobby
26-08-06, 11:52
I think the voice actors of the US naruto sound......gay like.

I cannot stand it, I have shouted at people telling them to look up and learn to read bloody subtitles !
I also found that they have cut out ANY cussing and also have cut a few scenes out!

I don't think "Curse you" Competes with "You Bastard I'm gonna kill you !!!!"

Who the fuck says Curse you anyway?

wtf...

ps. Sasuke's US voice actor sounds like a 42 year old Man... eugh

Dribble Joy
26-08-06, 12:14
Ugh... and genin is pronounced 'geneen'. What the chuff?
And 'Saskay'?

I heard a lot of bad stuff about it, so my expectations were pretty low, so I was vaguely suprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Naruto's voice isn't actually that bad, in fact it probably fits him better than the japanese one (which is done by a girl). Sakura's is a bit iffy though.

nobby
26-08-06, 12:16
go back to Higurashi no naku koro ni, it's alright :p

Dribble Joy
26-08-06, 12:19
go back to Higurashi no naku koro ni, it's alright :p
No way. That shit creeped me out, too many fucked up dreams. Haven't seen past Ep.7.

nobby
26-08-06, 13:05
rofl !

I think we're at episode 16 now I think :)

Worth watching, even tho it does get fucked up in places...