PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Popcorn (and other foodstuffs)

Dribble Joy
25-08-06, 23:15
If this is spam, then by all means close.

Right. This got me wondering....

I hate popcorn.

Who likes popcorn? Who detests the oft overpriced fluff they obsessively sell in cinemas?

Personally it's the salted kind for me.

So this doesn't seem too spammy; what about other foods? Just out of interest?

What about spam itself?
For me, it's not too bad, though the supreme tinned meat is of course corned beef.

Mostly I like 'proper' English grub. Though noodles for the win.

Glok
25-08-06, 23:29
For popcorn, I like homemade, real butter, and cajun seasoning rather than salt.

For other foods well fuck... how much detail do you want? :lol:

Koshinn
25-08-06, 23:32
Popcorn is the food of winners.
Only losers don't like popcorn.
This is disregarding movie theatre price. This is all popcorn, microwaved, air-popped, movie-style, and more.

Spam is like the state meat of Hawaii. :D

Roc-a-fella
25-08-06, 23:47
popcorn is alright upon intial consumption but when it all gets stuck in your grill thats just not cool. Then you drink your extra extra super dooper large coke that costed you 10dollars + 1.57 for the straw and you still have popcorn stuck in your teeth i mean.... they should just give you free floss with it.

But i like starburst better anyways.

Dribble Joy
25-08-06, 23:51
The only problem is that it's allways too salty, so after 30 mins of the film you feel like a chunk of jerky.

That's a good point. I actually got hold of some jerky the other month. It's horrifically bland. Why you yanks eat the stuff I dunno....

retr0n
26-08-06, 00:03
Popcorn is my favorite. With a touch of salt, nothing else.
I even have one of these at home:

http://www.obhnordica.se/images/Products/Low/6398.jpg

Skusty
26-08-06, 00:08
Popcorn is good. I usually eat it when sitting at the computer.

Glok
26-08-06, 00:23
That's a good point. I actually got hold of some jerky the other month. It's horrifically bland. Why you yanks eat the stuff I dunno....Whatever kind of black market jerky you got was not real jerky then... lots of varieties here, I like the teriyaki (fake of course, but tasty) you might be fond of the peppered... that I can barely eat.

Heavyporker
26-08-06, 00:45
You're eating the wrong kind of jerky, frankly.

There's this Amish jerky made in Ohio.. dear Crahn in heaven, it is so fucking tasty. Nicely moist, chewy, and so fucking flavorful.

Now I'm hungry. Shit, I got to see if they mail-order ship.

StevenJ
26-08-06, 00:58
I like popcorn, tastes fine. But, I hate it when I get pieces of it under my tongue. Really really drives me mad.

What about spam itself?
For me, it's not too bad, though the supreme tinned meat is of course corned beef.

It has to be Bacon Grill.

Pantho
26-08-06, 01:16
Salted Popcorn ftw - More salt the better

Animated
26-08-06, 01:21
Non popcorn related, but proper Dutch frickies (frickadellen) mit pommes frites und mayo from the Schnell Imbis round the corner = teh win. Or at least it did when I was younger and living abroad. Oh, and not forgetting Hela Curry Sauce. :D

Skusty
26-08-06, 01:28
Cottage Cheese Natural is a good snack imo.

Finnish Sunday and Hunting Sausage ftw.

Glok
26-08-06, 01:28
Dutch frickies (frickadellen) mit pommes frites und mayoCare to translate? Err frickies=wtf pommes=potatoes? mayo=mayo no doubt....

Dribble Joy
26-08-06, 01:40
Fiend.

It's mayonnaise, not mayo.

Glok
26-08-06, 01:49
And mayo (:D) is some weird shit all by itself. Egg matter in suspension that doesn't need refrigeration but everyone refrigerates it anyways....

nobby
26-08-06, 02:33
I love salty popcorn!
Sweet just isn't happy enough for nobby...

I was over the moon in the US where the woman asked me if I'd like Butter in my extremely large salty popcorn packet :p

Never in a UK Cinema have I seen them offer butter !

Pantho
26-08-06, 02:37
I love salty popcorn!
Sweet just isn't happy enough for nobby...

I was over the moon in the US where the woman asked me if I'd like Butter in my extremely large salty popcorn packet :p

Never in a UK Cinema have I seen them offer butter !

So So True, i think id like Butter in salt popcorn

Apocalypsox
26-08-06, 03:10
i dont know how you would eat popcorn without butter..speaking of that i have a quite large container of deliciously salted popcorn infront of me, not light on butter either...mmmmm trans fatty butter :angel:

Pizza is always good. as a snack, for breakfest, for dinner...after powning n00bs like pantho...

jini
26-08-06, 09:32
Popcorn is great.

Its taste is greatly enhanced when you cook it with extra virgin olive oil (cold milling), because it smokes it so cool, plus it's the best fatty agent for very high temperatures.

Butter I dont know how to cook it, because you cant overheat butter, so how do you cook it?

Also its uber when you airpop it like what we have in village cinemas ;)

As an alternative, try frying it with just a film of olive oil in the pan. For the lovers of olive oil that is.

Edit: also try making your own fresh mayonnaise, it's amazingly simply to make, you only need a blender, couple of eggs (according to quantity), extra virgin olive oil, and a bit of lemon/vinegar.

Koshinn
26-08-06, 12:38
Pizza is always good. as a snack, for breakfest, for dinner...after powning n00bs like pantho...

Spoken like someone living on a tight budget. Or a lover of popcorn. Either way, :D :D :D :D :D

sanityislost
26-08-06, 12:44
Salted Popcorn is ok, apart from those bits that get stuck between your teeth.

but cheese, cheese is fucking evil so is eggs

SiL ..:..

Animated
26-08-06, 12:48
Care to translate? Err frickies=wtf pommes=potatoes? mayo=mayo no doubt....

Sorry, its just the set German phrase I used to say to order the stuff. "Ich mochte frickadellen mit pommes frites und mayo bitte."

Frickadellen are a type of sausage, we used to call them frickies.

Pommes frites = Chips/French Fries

Chips and mayonnaise is a Dutch/German thing apparently.

Dribble Joy
26-08-06, 12:52
but cheese, cheese is fucking evil so is eggs
Red Liecster for the yummeh win.

As for chips and mayonnaise, it's becoming increasingly common in the UK.

Nidhogg
26-08-06, 13:40
As for chips and mayonnaise, it's becoming increasingly common in the UK.
I was put on to that when I was working in the Netherlands, great stuff, especially with that fritesaus. Popcorn, however, is like polystyrene packing beads soaked in urine.

N

fschepper
26-08-06, 14:08
Frickadellen are a type of sausage, we used to call them frickies.
Frikadelle (http://www.rasting.de/artikelstamm/images/9153.jpg)

Animated
26-08-06, 14:40
Frikadelle (http://www.rasting.de/artikelstamm/images/9153.jpg)

Those are German ones, Dutch ones are sausages (I think, someone feel free to correct me).

EDIT: Found them, actually called Frikandel, see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikadel).

Dribble Joy
26-08-06, 14:44
Kinda like a UK ************? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/************_%28food%29)

:edit
HAHAHAHA!! Damn word filter :lol:.

This (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2698507.stm) is funny. Funnier if you're a yank.

Speedball
26-08-06, 14:55
Home made popcornes with a lot of butter, and caramel popcorns FTW

Freemdom fries + hamburger...
bun's...

Sammson
27-08-06, 12:35
Popcorn, however, is like polystyrene packing beads soaked in urine.

N

Absolutely. for full immersion in the the digital world, the requirements are chocolate, caffeine, and nicotine (lesser so).

Koshinn
27-08-06, 23:23
I was put on to that when I was working in the Netherlands, great stuff, especially with that fritesaus. Popcorn, however, is like polystyrene packing beads soaked in urine.

N

It definately clogs the good 'ol arteries.

But how can you say that about popcorn???

retr0n
28-08-06, 00:10

N

Are you sure that was popcorn you got? :p

Glok
28-08-06, 00:46
Long ago a group of us started requesting 'McChicken sauce' (basically spiced mayo) with our fries when we went to McDonalds (yeah, yeah). 2 or 3 years later McDonald's started offering McChicken sauce in one of those catsup-style packets. I guess more than just us were doing that. :p

Whenever I have fries (chips to you brits) it's a war whether I want catsup or mayo...

(just trying to bug DJ.. :D)

rob444
28-08-06, 01:17
Popcorn is nice, I prefer micropopcorn though, they are more... juicy, salty and more... unhealthy.

Noodles is nice, my gf makes wonderful noodles that will make your ears smoke.

Dribble Joy
28-08-06, 01:20
Noodles FTW.

Glok
28-08-06, 02:01
My faux chinese food noodle meal is now: Ramen noodles cooked, then some butter and spices in a frying pan brought to the surface temperature of the sun, then toss in the noodles and a couple eggs and toss it till the eggs are cooked. Yum!

Dribble Joy
28-08-06, 02:22
Far too complicated.

Noodles in pan. Add water. Boil untill squidgy. Put in bowl with soy sause.

CONSUME.

jini
28-08-06, 05:42
It definately clogs the good 'ol arteries.

But how can you say that about popcorn???
I wonder myself too..
He is the first I hear he doesn't like popcorn.
A suggestion: try cooking your own @ home Nick, maybe you ate some that was really badly cooked

Koshinn
28-08-06, 13:25
I wonder myself too..
He is the first I hear he doesn't like popcorn.
A suggestion: try cooking your own @ home Nick, maybe you ate some that was really badly cooked
This might be the first time Jini and I agree on something, take special note!

Popcorn overcomes all differences.

retr0n
28-08-06, 13:33
Speaking of noodles.... Tom Yum (the spicy kind, not the western version) > Ramen Chicken > All.

jini
28-08-06, 15:58
This might be the first time Jini and I agree on something, take special note!

Popcorn overcomes all differences.
Yes, I agree, this calls for celebration :D

Apocalypsox
28-08-06, 18:27
once again....mmmmmm...pizza :angel:

Noodles are good too though.

vices
29-08-06, 10:57
Just bare finnish cottage cheese..
aaaaaaaah..
Plus it's really good if you work out and don't like to stuff yourself with protein nutritions since cottage cheese is low on fat and high on protein :)

Koshinn
29-08-06, 11:47
Anyone ever have kim chi flavored ramen, from a company called nongshim (I think that's what it's called)? It's sooo good.. I think I ate about one bowl a day last year.. until I ran out..

giga191
29-08-06, 12:47
bacon