PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial death and deleted char?

Phanea
25-08-06, 03:53
Visited neocron for the first time today. DL the trial and, since I didn't really know anything about the game except that it was in cyberpunk setting, I decided to start with the tutorial.

After a little time figuring out how the UI worked I advanced in the tutorial. All went well until I got to the room with those two bots. Was expecting a fight and instead I got killed (I think) instantly. Thing is, a few moments after that happened, I found myslef staring at the character creator once again...with no trace of the char I just had created. Is this intended, as in that it happens to careless first-timers, or did something go wrong? Did feel rather harsh for a tutorial. But I didn't catch all of the dialogue leading up to the encounter, so maybe I missed an important hint :)

Anyway, not that many minutes wasted. So I guess I'll have another go at the game tomorrow, and skip the tutorial that time :rolleyes:

//
Phanea

Pantho
25-08-06, 06:19
Tutorial char doesnt save - Its lame we now,... But it doesnt :(. FYI Do the tutorial once, then never again... actually ive nvr done nc2 tut :)

Durandal|AI
25-08-06, 10:03
jep they dont save.

best thing is - make one on Terra ( the english 4 slot server [that means you can have 4 characters on that server] )

if you have questions - just use the "help" or the "alliance" channel ingame (both are under F1 - Custom Channels)

Nidhogg
25-08-06, 10:18
The intention of the tutorial is two-fold:

Firstly, it allows the new user to get hands-on learning experience of systems they will not be able to use in the real game until they've levelled up a bit.

Secondly, it introduces the storyline where people are essentially kidnapped by the "authorities", mind-wiped, and put into service as a good citizen of Neocron. Rather than it being a separate module we decided to build it into the game using a story-related role-play mechanic.

I can see why you wouldn't want to lose those skills and items, but you can also see why it would de-balance the population if everyone started with a boost up the levelling curve.

N

Darkana
25-08-06, 10:59
I've recently created a new character to check something out and decided to have a look at the tutorial. I found the voice of the woman(?) talking to you too quiet in comparision to the other sounds in the game and thus hard to understand (although I must admit I zipped through the thing to see what happens in the end).

Anyway, you usually create a character, then maybe check into the tutorial and then I got back to the login screen. The initially created character is not deleted, however, they use the look of that one in the tutorial to give you the feeling of a 'seamless' storyline like Nidhogg explained already.

Good luck and much fun in NC, Phanea!

Nidhogg
25-08-06, 11:17
A common mistake is to select one server when starting the tutorial and then a different server when you start the game. It then looks like the character is gone completely and you have to start all over again. Make sure you select the same server.

N

Phanea
25-08-06, 12:31
Ah, ok thanks for the answers :) Guess I' ll be going back to Terra tonight then, because this game sure looks and feels interesting.

Dribble Joy
25-08-06, 12:43
Personally I wouldn't bother with the tutorial. It can give a false impression of cirtain parts. For instance the weapons, the tutorial one is appaling and aims horribly, I don't know why they put it in like that (other than to make sure you're not disappointed when it comes to the game itself and you get your first weapon).

Anyway. Feel free to use the HELP channel ingame. In the RPOS (ingame menu, just press tab) click on hypercom at the top or just hit F1. Click on custom and scoll to the bottom and highlight help.
Note that many of the cannels have a little box to one side that may or may not have a small 'x' in them. In order for you to hear what people are saying on a channel, that 'x' must be there. Click on the little box to mute/unmute.

NC has a steep learning curve, so feel free to ask and don't feel daft if you don't get something that might otherwise be obvious.

Napalm82
25-08-06, 18:13
This is Denmark calling to Sweden :D

Hi neighbour, if you give us the times your on some of us might just drop by and help you out (I know i would) i have a shop set up in Plaza sector 2 which should have what you need, if not ill get it for you. (Everything is free of charge of course, but only as a welcome gift ;) )

Anyways, just drop your char name(s) and what time you'll be on and i'll find you.

- Nap