PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Warhammer online promo vid

Dribble Joy
24-08-06, 02:00
Doubt many of you play Warhammer, but they're making an MMO of it (yes it was previously cancelled but another developer took it up).

Slightly different from the previous version, another fight added.

Clickly. (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/video/easterEggs/WAR_Promo_081606.html)

Glok
24-08-06, 02:11
Oh. Why do I always think Warhammer 40k? (and the feckin Chaos Marines)

Looks kickass. But err fps rts 3rd person whatchama??? Stupid promo vids. :(

Dribble Joy
24-08-06, 02:27
RTS?

Not really. (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/screenshots/)

solid-rock
24-08-06, 09:11
You dont make rts mmo's. This game has been in development for a while now and ive been subscribed to theyr newsletter for bout 6-7 months. Havent won a beta spot yet though.

Glok
24-08-06, 09:18
You dont make rts mmo's.I had to think about that for a bit to figure out why not... I don't even know why I asked such a stupid question. :lol:

edit: Now I remember! 10six (anyone remember that?) had smallish zones that players owned/captured (you were allowed to have more than one) and in battles you not only controlled your avatar but a number of robots if you wanted to (I forget what they were called) I think the number you could control was only limited by your skill, I can't remember.

Darkana
24-08-06, 09:23
There are RTS MMOs out there :p

Glok
24-08-06, 09:24
There are RTS MMOs out there :pDo tell! 8|

Dribble Joy
24-08-06, 09:25
Dawn of War is RTS... though not exactly MMO.

solid-rock
24-08-06, 10:06
I dont see how it would work. Wouldnt the entire map just covered in 1 big base? And what hapends if you loose all you buildings and units? Your acount just goes out and cancels itself?

Glok
24-08-06, 10:13
In 10six what happened was if you lost all your zones and the HQ in your last zone you would get a new zone to start up in again with some starting funds. Also when you started at first or when you ended up getting a new zone your zone would be 'locked' until you participated in a battle at an enemy base.

Darkana
24-08-06, 11:16
The MMORTS I played for a small bit was called Tactical Commanders (http://tc.gamigo.de/) (dunno if there is an english version of this site), and that is, according to a friend, a licensed version of something starting with "S" (but don't remember the name anymore).

The "world" is split up into different planets, each having a certain level range to keep things a bit fair. The planets themselfs are split up into smaller regions similar to the Risk board game (or the Dune RTS games, if you like). Each such region is a map with a number of "flag" spots (if I remember correctly) you have to take over to control the map.

Players are not fighting on their own, they are grouped into factions. A planet has a subset of the whole set of factions. Factions have HQ-Towns on a planet where you run around with your avatar, check shops, chat with other players and so on.

You control a set of squads made out of 6 units max each and you can go to war with one squad only. However, if it's destroyed, you can get another squad (and another one etc. until they are all torn down). The units can be upgraded, replaced etc.pp. in the HQ-Town.

The warfare is handled via the planet map which pretty much equals a Risk map also in the way the units are shown; this allows you to move your units either to hotspots or to attempt to block others to get to these, just for example. The movement is done all in realtime, means you can zoom in and look at your squad crossing the different maps to the final destination.

The game itself is not really state of the art gfx wise (several years old) even back when I checked it out already, however, for the time I played it I had some fun. Biggest problem was finding out how things were working.

Oh, btw, I don't think you are able to create buildings there, but I'm not entirely sure.

solid-rock
24-08-06, 12:30
Is this game available in english and what does it cost?

Dribble Joy
24-08-06, 13:42
It's still in development. Release set for 2008 afaik.

solid-rock
24-08-06, 15:15
TBH i think last months newsletter said late 2007. Oh an btw i acually did play warhammer for some time witch is why im so eagerly anticipating this game. Your character acuallly evolves when you level up. Dwarves grow longer beards and orcs get bigger and more buffed.

silent000
24-08-06, 15:49
Ha at the end of that video u thin kthat dude with teh slap head is gunna pwn him but he boots him and pwnz hm, made me chuckle

Heavyporker
24-08-06, 19:24
So if I start a new Psi Monk and level him up, his brain is going to become fucking massive?

And at Level 75 INT/PSI I'm going to start spontaneously levitating?? And my eyes actually burn out due to the energies buzzing in them, so I'd be blind but uberly badass?

*AWESOME* I can't wait to play the game!

solid-rock
24-08-06, 20:08
Apart from the fact that you wouldnt be a psi monk, you wouldnt have psi or int levels and you wouldnt acually be anything out of the ordinary.... So yea more or less.

Apocalypsox
24-08-06, 21:06
the promo looked like it was trying to farm off WoWs sucess for its own...fucking dwarfs n shit.

solid-rock
24-08-06, 22:44
You know the warhammer game is 25 years old. Warcraft whas based upon warhammer not vice verca. And a warhammer mmo has been a long time coming.

The idea of green orcs living in a tribal society stemms entirely from warhammer. Before that you had the tolkien orcs who where black and almost without any kind of social structure. And you had the monsters of old scary storyes.

Powerpunsh
24-08-06, 22:56
The vid is nice. :p
But Warhammer online? Hmm ive never played warhammer in RL but i like Dawn of war. Hope the Expansion pack will come soon.
The new racials seems to be Imba in the Vids ive seen. :p