PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Tobacco

Glok
18-08-06, 02:09
http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/17/news/companies/tobacco_ruling/index.htm?cnn=yes

Now look. If you smoke in this day and age with access to all the shit out there about the dangers of smoking, is this shit really neccessary, or even warranted? Any smoker with a brain knows the health effects of smoking, and if the tobacco companies can fool the idiots that don't then more power to them. Most likely, my smoking habit will at least indirectly cause my death and I'm fine with that. If I have a choice, I will go the way Hunter S. Thompson went.

Dribble Joy
18-08-06, 02:21
It's not exactly a case where someone has outright banned tobacco as a substance, and the action of the companies in the past (and to a lesser extent today) have been shady.

Still all a little bit nanny statish though. Like the inevitable banning of smoking in pubs and resturants in England.
I don't see why the law can be voluntary. If you want your pub to remain a place where people can smoke, you have to put a sign on the window or something. Clearly in the interests of most pubs, most people will choose to go non-smoking. So it's a ban by choice, not by force as it were...

jini
18-08-06, 06:36
http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/17/news/companies/tobacco_ruling/index.htm?cnn=yes

Now look. If you smoke in this day and age with access to all the shit out there about the dangers of smoking, is this shit really neccessary, or even warranted? Any smoker with a brain knows the health effects of smoking, and if the tobacco companies can fool the idiots that don't then more power to them. Most likely, my smoking habit will at least indirectly cause my death and I'm fine with that. If I have a choice, I will go the way Hunter S. Thompson went.
The smoker with a brain knows the effects only from what he has heard. I bet everything, that if that habit leads you to something like cancer (which I really hope it wont) degradation of quality of life as you know it will be so huge that you would hope to turn back time. Not to mention you will then forcefully quit smoking. Life is too good to waste like this

NAPPER
18-08-06, 06:47
i think i will have to quit somking (everything) when the new law comes out in england where you cant somke in buildings just outside thats going to be shite haveing a pint in a pub all you want to do is have a smoke with it :(

Heavyporker
18-08-06, 06:59
I don't understand this... why the hell do people like smoking so damn much?! Just a whiff from someone else that saunters up by me fries *MY* lungs and sense of smell.

I mean, geez, smokers leaving pubs just because they can't have a smoke over their drink?!!

If it's a drink you want, there are items called *BOTTLES* which has the ability to contain *ALCOHOL*. Many types of stores actually *SELL* these items!

*gasp*

*shock*

*horror*

Yeeesh.

Tsukasa
18-08-06, 06:59
In live in Grand Forks, ND, United States smoking has already been banned in all public places except bars.

Apocalypsox
18-08-06, 07:45
same here Tsukasa...cept bars have been banned in Washington (NOT FUCKING DC) too here.

NAPPER
18-08-06, 08:05
wellin england its getting banned in bars as well so you will only be able to smoke outside :(

yavimaya
18-08-06, 08:08
DJ, you unfortentaly have it a little backwards.
In a perfect word your senario would be nice, but when smoking in pubs, etc was banned here a little while back, all we heard was complaints from pub owners that noone was going there anymore.

Also we have lost our dank, dirty, "proper" pubs, they are all crappy bistro/pokies venues now.

Jodo
18-08-06, 10:17
Now look. If you smoke in this day and age with access to all the shit out there about the dangers of smoking, is this shit really necessary, or even warranted? Any smoker with a brain knows the health effects of smoking, and if the tobacco companies can fool the idiots that don't then more power to them.
The 12 year olds that start smoking aren't that aware of the dangers and it's not a great achievement to manage to "fool" them.

I don't understand this... why the hell do people like smoking so damn much?! Just a whiff from someone else that saunters up by me fries *MY* lungs and sense of smell.

I have no idea why they start, it's never appealed to me, but they're now addicted to it. Trying to get sense from a drug addict is never really going to get you any results.

Dribble Joy
18-08-06, 13:09
The nicotine and various other stuff in it.
Though I smoke rollies (not the vigs you get in packs) which are a whole lot nicer.

but when smoking in pubs, etc was banned here a little while back, all we heard was complaints from pub owners that noone was going there anymore.
Exactly, a voluntary law would allow them to continue to have smoking in the pub. At the expense of being labled a smoking pub.

Also we have lost our dank, dirty, "proper" pubs, they are all crappy bistro/pokies venues now.
Plenty of 'old man' pubs left in the UK these days.

jini
18-08-06, 15:03
I heard rollies are even worst: they lay more tar in your lungs.
However, quiting smoke is not as difficult as some believe, but you gotta have a strong character.

Only imagine that, a regular smoker would insurance himself on a monthly basis and get a nice pension when he reaches his 60s with what he pays to cigaretes

Skusty
18-08-06, 15:32
In live in Grand Forks, ND, United States smoking has already been banned in all public places except bars.
In sweden you can smoke in public but not in bars. :lol:

Glok
18-08-06, 15:32
The 12 year olds that start smoking aren't that aware of the dangers and it's not a great achievement to manage to "fool" them.Well here you can't even buy tobacco until you're 18...
However, quiting smoke is not as difficult as some believe, but you gotta have a strong character.It's pretty easy actually, I have several times just for the hell of it (seriously) but I pick it back up again after a while. First rule in quitting smoking: you have to want to do it in the first place. :p

Jodo
18-08-06, 16:56
You have to be sixteen to buy them over here and yet they still find ways. Putting age restrictions on stuff has never worked and probably never will.

Spermy
18-08-06, 22:03

I mean, geez, smokers leaving pubs just because they can't have a smoke over their drink?!!

If it's a drink you want, there are items called *BOTTLES* which has the ability to contain *ALCOHOL*. Many types of stores actually *SELL* these items!

*gasp*

*shock*

*horror*

Yeeesh.

For one, get a grip. Limited exposure such as the "whiff" does little or nothing.

For seconds. Public houses. Atmopspheric, and convenient meeting place. Also a place where you often bump into old friends, whatever, doesn't matter. If people have the right to sign thier life away for DNR orders, people have the right to kill themselves by smoking. There are plenty of non smoking pubs around.

Having been a non smoker, and being a smoker I can safely say that non smokers just don't get it. It's not always an addiction issue, sometimes a celebratory cigar or whatever lifts a mans spirits.

Personally I think the right wing antics of certain non smokers is sickening.

Freedom of choice.

Liebestoter
20-08-06, 06:53
I smoke constantly and I went through 2 logs of chew on a two day post. Smoking bla bla bad for your health. Guess what, so are fucking IEDs. And I can still run a sub 18 3 mile. Bite me, anti-smoking crusaders. Bite me hard.

Roc-a-fella
20-08-06, 07:00
Everyone in my family smokes. I dont. I grew up around it. Which is why i dont. Its stupid, pointless and a black hole for your money. I can easily waste my money on weed and actually get high.

CHA0S
20-08-06, 10:30
. o O (i wonder if all the smokers in all the world would cough at same time would that be enough Tar to renew all the roads? :D )

Only thing i hate is when smoker's cough and splutter and phlemge 8|
have stained teeth (for most)
got stained fingers (for some)
and smell of smoke (for all)

Cant STAND going with a woman who smokes :rolleyes:

and for some reason make me sick when ppl smoke and chew gum :lol:

My dad smoked alot........stained teeth to hell smoking for MANY years had most pulled and replaced now lol serves himself right

Happy PK'ing

C.

Obsidian X
20-08-06, 12:31
For one, get a grip. Limited exposure such as the "whiff" does little or nothing.

For seconds. Public houses. Atmopspheric, and convenient meeting place. Also a place where you often bump into old friends, whatever, doesn't matter. If people have the right to sign thier life away for DNR orders, people have the right to kill themselves by smoking. There are plenty of non smoking pubs around.

Having been a non smoker, and being a smoker I can safely say that non smokers just don't get it. It's not always an addiction issue, sometimes a celebratory cigar or whatever lifts a mans spirits.

Personally I think the right wing antics of certain non smokers is sickening.

Freedom of choice.

Totally agree with you there m8, its not necessarily an addiction thing. I smoke because I choose to, rather than because I have to (admittedly there are times when I feel I need a ciggy or two to deal with lifes little problems), but by and large its a lifestyle choice I make. The pubs I go in are full of smokers, and the landlords/barstaff smoke as well. Forcing everyone to stop smoking in such establishments is ridiculous, and I don't think its going to be a well enforced law when it comes into effect next year.

Pantho
20-08-06, 12:47
When you consider the fact that -

Passive smoking serisously damage's over peoples health..... Just because a few retards cant be assed to only smoke at home -

I work in a smoke filled envoirment, and its fucking annoying when a customer breaths smoke into your face, or holds the cigerate next to your fucking nose....

I mean serisously and im sorry but smoking is Idiotic/Pointless/Amazingly Expensive/Bad For you/ And more importantly.

I agree if it was somet you injected etc then fine fuck urself up. wont effect me ..

but with smoke, it effects all the people who are smart enough NOT to smoke.

Jodo
20-08-06, 13:05

Passive smoking serisously damage's over peoples health..... Just because a few retards cant be assed to only smoke at home -

I work in a smoke filled envoirment, and its fucking annoying when a customer breaths smoke into your face, or holds the cigerate next to your fucking nose....

I mean serisously and im sorry but smoking is Idiotic/Pointless/Amazingly Expensive/Bad For you/ And more importantly.

I agree if it was somet you injected etc then fine fuck urself up. wont effect me ..

Agreed.

I'm surprised this thread is still open though. I thought politics was a no, no.

nellus
20-08-06, 15:02

AGREED

If i go into a pub and order a pint drink it then walk home the only person affected is me. If a smoker goes into a pub has a pint and 1 or 2 cigs then walks home he has affected evryones health in that pub whether they too are smokers or not.

I enjoy playing darts for my local team on a monday night so much so ive done it for 12 years. but what i realy hate is when i get home all my clothes have to go staright in the wash because they stink and i have a tickle in the back of my throat because i have been passively smoking all night.

The sooner the ban comes in the better imo.

rob444
20-08-06, 17:04
Cancersticks makes people look like fools. Someone putting in a paperstick in their mouth and then burns it at the end and blow out some cool smoke, yeah... And what purpose is there for smoking anyway? It doesn't taste any good, people don't get any better by it and the environment gets damaged. I only see drawbacks with smoking and I wouldn't mind tobacco being permanently banned either because tobacco companies makes a lot of money because they make people addicted to it - very much like drugs on the street.

And from what I've heard, there is enough nicotine in a cigarette to kill an elephant if it was in concentrated form ;).

LiL T
20-08-06, 20:13
Cancersticks makes people look like fools. Someone putting in a paperstick in their mouth and then burns it at the end and blow out some cool smoke, yeah... And what purpose is there for smoking anyway? It doesn't taste any good, people don't get any better by it and the environment gets damaged. I only see drawbacks with smoking and I wouldn't mind tobacco being permanently banned either because tobacco companies makes a lot of money because they make people addicted to it - very much like drugs on the street.

And from what I've heard, there is enough nicotine in a cigarette to kill an elephant if it was in concentrated form ;).

Yeah yeah we know....

But I was dumb enough to start now i just wish i could stop, its something non smokers won't understand, imo cigs should be banned completely.

Danae
20-08-06, 21:05
I've had asthma since I was 6, and our youngest son also has it. We were in Scotland when the smoking ban hit there, and it was awesome.

There's a cafe the hubby loves that he took us to when we first got there, and it was horrible, clogged with smoke, I couldn't stand it.

After the ban, we went back and it was great. It's amazing how it changed the entire experience. Knowing that it was the greasy food killing us this time and not the second hand smoke :P

eprodigy
20-08-06, 22:19
here in california its banned smoking in bars/restaurants, and I didn't realize how nice that is until I go into nevada/vegas and go pretty much anywhere..

Glok
21-08-06, 00:34
About the 'pleasures' of smoking, there definitely is a taste... I used to keep multiple varieties on hand for exactly that reason.

Second-hand smoke; it's annoying and it will make your throat bug out especially if you are asthmatic but the health effects are way overstated, a bartender that doesn't smoke in a smoking bar might be at risk, the rest of you (that aren't asthmatic or otherwise lung-impaired) STFU if you're worried there are lots of smoke free places you can go. Just for argument's sake: the smoker in these places is breathing the pure smoke directly into his/her lungs AND is breathing that second hand stuff you are so afraid of. Now if the second hand smoke comes OUT of his/her lungs, who do you think is getting the more harmful end of the stick?

Smoking doesn't make you stupid btw, what I posted on another forum might be of interest... 'Any smoker knows the high you get the first time you smoke, smokers have basically decided to stay high on nicotine constantly.'

And another 'smoking doesn't make you stupid' statement, lots of shit in this world can kill you or make you really fucking sick or otherwise make life end or be undesireable. One of those is old age. I like being a hyperactive (middle aged! 8|) freak. I don't want to slow down. I spent plenty of time enjoying the scenery and when my body is no longer capable of doing anything but laying half dead looking at beautiful sunsets over the ocean I'd rather just croak. I prefer having the choice to run out into that ocean and swimming far enough out that I might not survive, possibly because it will be dark before I can swim back to shore...

Pantho
21-08-06, 06:14
About the 'pleasures' of smoking, there definitely is a taste... I used to keep multiple varieties on hand for exactly that reason.

Second-hand smoke; it's annoying and it will make your throat bug out especially if you are asthmatic but the health effects are way overstated, a bartender that doesn't smoke in a smoking bar might be at risk, the rest of you (that aren't asthmatic or otherwise lung-impaired) STFU if you're worried there are lots of smoke free places you can go. Just for argument's sake: the smoker in these places is breathing the pure smoke directly into his/her lungs AND is breathing that second hand stuff you are so afraid of. Now if the second hand smoke comes OUT of his/her lungs, who do you think is getting the more harmful end of the stick?

Smoking doesn't make you stupid btw, what I posted on another forum might be of interest... 'Any smoker knows the high you get the first time you smoke, smokers have basically decided to stay high on nicotine constantly.'

And another 'smoking doesn't make you stupid' statement, lots of shit in this world can kill you or make you really fucking sick or otherwise make life end or be undesireable. One of those is old age. I like being a hyperactive (middle aged! 8|) freak. I don't want to slow down. I spent plenty of time enjoying the scenery and when my body is no longer capable of doing anything but laying half dead looking at beautiful sunsets over the ocean I'd rather just croak. I prefer having the choice to run out into that ocean and swimming far enough out that I might not survive, possibly because it will be dark before I can swim back to shore...

Well, I work in a Gala bingo establisment, 50% of our staff dont smoke, thats 30 people. So thats 30 people getting constent smoke , when we dont ask for it -

You cant say get another job, Coz it really isnt that easy asa student. oh, and i am Athmatic thx.

-EDIT This is Politics, and i really am gonna blow at some Ignorant smoker who thinks, Because he smokes gives him the right to kill other people. - Plz close it you can - any1

jini
21-08-06, 06:15
What I can still remember from my smoking days is, that cigarettes really feel awful. I mean what I was really enjoying was just the first couple smokes after that the thing was losing all good flavour/taste. Cigarettes stink. They should be banned completely. Besides it's not the cigarette by itself but the addiction it creates. Therefore things are pretty easy: if you want addictions or you want to be dependant on things, then you can continue this habit. I can only pardon he, who smokes at random times or some people that smoke cigars here and there. But not substituting cigarettes with cigars, thats stupid again.

As a non smoker for more than 15 yrs. I can only accept a good cigar near me. Also, a good cigar actually tastes cool if you smoke it again from time to time, not like these new gen idiots that had substituted cigars with cigarettes. I bet a cigar has 2/3 times more the tar and nicotine.

Lilt if you *really* decide to quit smoking you quit smoking. It's addiction is not that heavy, so it's just a question of whether you want it or not. My case was so, that one day I was just fed up with it, balanced out everything and took a decision that I keep up to now. I do miss a good cigar from time to time, but I would only permitted just 1 or 2 in a years time...

And another 'smoking doesn't make you stupid' statement, lots of shit in this world can kill you or make you really fucking sick or otherwise make life end or be undesireable. One of those is old age. I like being a hyperactive (middle aged! ) freak. I don't want to slow down. I spent plenty of time enjoying the scenery and when my body is no longer capable of doing anything but laying half dead looking at beautiful sunsets over the ocean I'd rather just croak. I prefer having the choice to run out into that ocean and swimming far enough out that I might not survive, possibly because it will be dark before I can swim back to shore...
Nice statement glok, but it sounds to me like an excuse you have made with your conscious about smoking. The difference between swimming far out in the ocean and smoking is huge. Again it's the addiction. I just hate addiction. How can you live with that? How did you accept depending on a substance so much? This is something I don't understand. Ask yourself this question and answer sincerely. How can smoking can be an enjoyment? Drop that shit, and I guarantee you a 20% boost in whatever activity you decide doing *AT LEAST*

NAPPER
21-08-06, 07:27
im not addicted to somking i have try to quit and i just get bored sat in the pub just drinking and thats it so what do i do just start smoking again :(

jini
21-08-06, 08:18
One correction that I want to make, I made a mistake on this, it's not just addiction I also hate repetition.

Napper, drinking is not that different from smoking. And it can easily hurt yourself more than smoking does, as you can get more addicted to that. This is what I mean repetitive day-to-day tasks. They are soo boring...

Doc Holliday
21-08-06, 10:37
DJ, you unfortentaly have it a little backwards.
In a perfect word your senario would be nice, but when smoking in pubs, etc was banned here a little while back, all we heard was complaints from pub owners that noone was going there anymore.

Pokies for the win. least u can smoke there. :lol: however i agree mate its same in QLD where i am now and im guessing country wide. thing is ive got used to it now so when i get to england it wont be such a shock

Speedball
21-08-06, 11:04
I only smike chicha. Tastefull and one pro week with friends is not so damaging...

Glok
21-08-06, 11:38
Well, I work in a Gala bingo establisment, 50% of our staff dont smoke, thats 30 people. So thats 30 people getting constent smoke , when we dont ask for it -

You cant say get another job, Coz it really isnt that easy asa student. oh, and i am Athmatic thx.

-EDIT This is Politics, and i really am gonna blow at some Ignorant smoker who thinks, Because he smokes gives him the right to kill other people. - Plz close it you can - any1Occupational hazard? There are jobs that are a lot more likely to kill you... sucks that you have asthma working in a damn bingo hall though, I think bingo players will be the last holdouts when everyone else is forced to quit. :lol:

I don't actually smoke in public very often, I like having a cig after I eat though so always get a seat in the smoking section at a restaurant, but only smoke one cig after the meal, I don't sit there puffing away constantly. Most times I go out I don't bring any cigs at all.

Pantho
21-08-06, 12:16
Not really the last - Because Its still a private function, but we have a bar/diner - So should stop under that rule.... Think it comes out in 2007

Scaramanga
27-08-06, 01:54
Not really the last - Because Its still a private function, but we have a bar/diner - So should stop under that rule.... Think it comes out in 2007

Think the law being implemented goes something along the lines of no smoking at the workplace. Seeings as bars/clubs/cafes/nightclubs etc have employees they have to ban smoking (indoors). afaik this covers all private clubs.

Only way to get around it would be for the pubs to have those outside gas burner thingies so that people could smoke all year round. (gets pretty chilly in uk at winter).

Wonder how long it will be for a law to come in about not smoking at home if a child lives there.

LiL T
27-08-06, 03:28
im not addicted to somking i have try to quit and i just get bored sat in the pub just drinking and thats it so what do i do just start smoking again :(

Ha your addicted, i use to say the exact same things when i started smoking at 16, if you do not stop now you will find it hard to stop and i bet you will find you can't stop now.

Dribble Joy
27-08-06, 11:05
I heard rollies are even worst: they lay more tar in your lungs.
Depends on the baccy you use. And if you use a filter.

Smoke Drum Blue and you'll die in about 2 months. Swear that stuff is made of tree bark and horse shit.

I smoke Golden Virginia. Much smoother than any other baccy I've tried.
Anyway I hate 'straights', they're just horrible.
It's like sausages and bacon. Shit knows what goes into a straight (sausages), baccy is just shredded leaves (though probably sprayed with stuff :p).

I bet a cigar has 2/3 times more the tar and nicotine.
Ever looked at the end of a cigar after you've smoked it?
There's black, liquid ooze coming from it.
Cigars aren't really ment to be 'smoked' (Ie. inhaled) though, it's about the flavour. So you'll probably end up with mouth cancer not lung.

Glok
27-08-06, 12:24
Smoke Drum Blue and you'll die in about 2 months. Swear that stuff is made of tree bark and horse shit.I used to smoke that stuff. I still would (at least sometimes) if I could find a store around here that still sold it. :/
Ever looked at the end of a cigar after you've smoked it?
There's black, liquid ooze coming from it.
Cigars aren't really ment to be 'smoked' (Ie. inhaled) though, it's about the flavour. So you'll probably end up with mouth cancer not lung.:lol:

Anyone who actually can inhale the smoke from a cigar is nearly dead anyways. :p

Sammson
27-08-06, 12:51
Think the law being implemented goes something along the lines of no smoking at the workplace. Seeings as bars/clubs/cafes/nightclubs etc have employees they have to ban smoking (indoors). afaik this covers all private clubs.

Only way to get around it would be for the pubs to have those outside gas burner thingies so that people could smoke all year round. (gets pretty chilly in uk at winter).

Wonder how long it will be for a law to come in about not smoking at home if a child lives there.

Already in place in this part of Canada, They can take your kids away if you continue to smoke at home. Smoking is only allowed outside at least 10 feet from any doorway.

Being as overeating / obeasity is now a bigger killer then tobacco, the same line of removing individuals freedom to choose should end up with food being banned publicly and overweight people hiding in the back yard with their stash of foodstuffs, lol.

What's hilarious is the non smokers fanaticism with second hand smoke, while you can't see accross the street for the damn smog. Then it's all the smokers fault, yeah right.

Dribble Joy
27-08-06, 12:56
It's the whole 'do what you want, so long as it does not impinge on the freedoms/rights of others' thing.

Hense my point about a voluntary law. A forced law is not conductive to the above.
When it comes to childeren... well that's allways a tricky thing. Parent's rights to bring up as they wish vs what's 'good' for the child.

Sammson
27-08-06, 13:12
That's the thing, who is to say what's "good". Does the legal system really believe it can control kids exposure to anything? Parents do much worse things to their kids, there's no sign of it until the kids grow up and expose the sick sobs.

I fear this tobacco issue is the tip of the wedge that will end with the state dictating everything we do, and when we do it. There are no shades of freedom, it's digital. On or off.

Speedball
27-08-06, 13:15
I fear this tobacco issue is the tip of the wedge that will end with the state dictating everything we do, and when we do it. There are no shades of freedom, it's digital. On or off.

Herm... That was stupid I think. You cannot be allowed to do anything you want, just because you have to be TOTALY FREE OH YEAAAAH.
Ok then going to school shouldnt be an obligation. You want this ?

If you want to be free, buy a fucking freebox or go to Somalia. Anarchists ftw

Parents do much worse things to their kids

Is it a reason to do nothing about the parents and the smoke ?

Ok don't help people in asia, because people in africa are in a worst situation.
it's nearly the same, no ?

Sammson
27-08-06, 13:57
Herm... That was stupid I think. You cannot be allowed to do anything you want, just because you have to be TOTALY FREE OH YEAAAAH.
Ok then going to school shouldnt be an obligation. You want this ?

If a parent is stunned enuff to need to have the state tell them to send their kids to school, who's the stupid one Speedball?

If you want to be free, buy a fucking freebox or go to Somalia. Anarchists ftw
Easy now, your gettting offbase.

Is it a reason to do nothing about the parents and the smoke ? (Lol, as if the state CAN do anything, camera in every home maybe?

Ok don't help people in asia, because people in africa are in a worst situation.
it's nearly the same, no ?

Freedom and anarchy are opposites. Freedom is defined and framed by morals. Anarchy has none.

If a store sells products containing peanut oil but you're allergic to peanut butter, ban peanut butter from everyone so you can go to that store, not the one down the street that doesn't have the oil?

It's easy to make restrictive laws on others that don't effect you, it doesn't have any bearing on your freedom. (Fuck you, I'm ok mentality)

Nidhogg
27-08-06, 14:15
Please don't take this into politics. It's already walking a fine line.

N

Mighty Max
27-08-06, 15:18
Caution: Pictures might scare you.

http://162.129.70.33/images/Buerger_Disease_2_030427.jpg
http://162.129.70.33/images/Buerger_Disease_4_030427.jpg

A result from heavy smoking.
Unlike cancer or traffic accident, this is not something that can happen to a heavy smoker, this will happen to him if he don't die to cancer or apoplexy first.

Smoking kills slowly but cruelly at the end.

Glok
27-08-06, 16:10
...this will happen to him if he don't die to cancer or apoplexy first...From what I read it starts before the person is 40, if it doesn't they won't get it (tiny chance) and it is very rare even in the risk group of male smokers aged 20-40.

Mighty Max
27-08-06, 16:50
If you only view the Buerger's desease, yes, but it belongs to a group of vasculary deseases coming with smoking, causing necroses. The smoker's leg is another, for a bit lesser but more longtime smokers.

Its the proportion of intense against the time you consume nicotine.
The more intense you smoke, the more veins tighten (=> more likely to close fine veins like in hands). The longer you smoke , the more trombose-particles occure. (=> more likely to close bigger veins, like in legs)

Glok
27-08-06, 17:35
Well, if it was at all common, we would hear about it more often instead of lung and throat cancer. You make it sound like it's guaranteed. :o

But anyways (though Buerger's was new to me) I'm well aware that smoking is very unhealthy. I also know that after 5-7 years after quitting smoking all trace of carcinogenic matter has left the body (primarily the lungs) and the cilia in the throat have regrown and that after 15 years the mortality rate versus a non-smoker is again equal. If my fingers and toes start to hurt I'll quit, I like my digits. :p

The truth is though that I like smoking... it's a seesaw most of the time whether I like it enough to keep it up regardless of the health effects, probably as I get older I'll tip in the direction of quitting (though then it will be harder of course...)

jini
28-08-06, 05:39
Then you will like it more if you limit it in a pleasurable level. But you gotta keep those levels, say something like smoking after a good meal or after having sex or while drinking coffee. Keep the thing under 5 cigs a day even less and you will enjoy it more.