View Full Version : [OT] NC on laptop

retr0n
17-08-06, 00:02
I'm looking around for a laptop and was wondering if anyone has or is playing NC
on one. I have no experience with gaming on laptops and I want to know if it's
possible. Well, not just possible but is it playable. Don't want to put out the extra
cash for the Nvidia GO card if I'm going to be running around with 5fps anyway.

If you have been playing (or are) NC on a laptop, please post the specs and
what kind of performance your were getting.

Thanks.

Nidhogg
17-08-06, 00:18
I've got one of these. Plays NC like a dream. Should do for the price.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=2360&head=0

Manufacturer IBM
Model Name ThinkPad T42p
Price inc VAT £2,538.00
URL www.ibm.co.uk
CPU, motherboard, memory & storage
CPU Intel Pentium M 1.8GHz
System memory (quantity) 1GB
Max memory 2GB
Hard disk size 60GB
Optical drive DVD Writer
Graphics and sound
Graphics card manufacturer & model ATI Mobility Fire GL T2
Graphics processor ATI Mobility Fire GL T2
Memory & type 128MB
External ports D-SUB
Audio controller (manufacturer & model) SoundMax
Additonal features (S/PDIF etc) N/A
Display
Viewable diagonal size (in) 15in
Max resolution & refresh rate 1600 x 1200
Modem. Network card, etc
Modem 56k V.92
Network card Gigabit Ethernet, Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG/ Bluetooth, IrDA
Misc Hardware N/A
Expansion and ports
PC Card slot(s) / Type 2 Type II
USB 2.0 ports 2
Firewire ports 0
PS/2 / Serial / Parallel ports 0 / 0 / 1
Other ports N/A
Software
Operating system Windows XP Professional
Office package N/A
Other Norton Anti-Virus, IBM Fingerprint Utility, Rapid Restore & Recovery
Warranty and accessories
Warranty (years & type) 1yr
Dimensions and weight
Width x Depth x Height 329 x 268 x 31mm
Weight 2.6kg

N

Jodo
17-08-06, 00:48
What, no schematics? :p

Nidhogg
17-08-06, 01:03
No, but check out the cool fingerprint reader for logging in...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/showImage.aspx?id=3282

N

ZoVoS
17-08-06, 01:26
*shakes head and looks disgusted*

aKe`cj
17-08-06, 01:50
how about you let us know how much you want to spend on it? Otherwise this question doesnt make much sense.
Of course there are plenty gaming-notebooks out there ... they usually are 6-10 month behind the desktop progress, so think about wether you were able to purchase a desktop system half a year ago that supported NC - answer is yes obviously ;)

Apart from what money you want to spend, you should also pay attention to the other areas where you want to use the notebook.
Most gaming notebooks are battery-eaters and usually "loud" as more heat emission needs to be handled. Also, their screen size varies from 15" to 15,4" - 17" ...combined with their weight a lot of affordable gaming racks are rather useless for mobile computing.
If you want the nb for everyday use out of home, probably even mobile (no powerplug) AND still be able to play FPS decent ....it's gonna cost.

/e: The t42 for sure is a nice nb, pricerange for the t42 series starts round 1400€ though (not considering the 512/32MB models) - which is a lot of money (to me at least). But in terms of overall quality you cant pick anything better than a thinkpad T-series.

If I had to pick a gaming rack, I'd probably go for a Joybook tho .. S73 or R55

RogerRamjet
17-08-06, 01:55
Can I be Zissou fanboi number 2?

Actually, got something better, wait and see :)

Edit:- "Klaus Daimler, Engineer. Calm, collected, German".

rob444
17-08-06, 02:51
I got voice recognition authentication, finger print authentication, iris authentication, brainwave pattern authentication and encrypted boot drive with encrypted systemdrive with dual passwords which is alpha numerical and > 12 bytes. Oh right, forgot the urinal sample I have to give to my computer each time Windows is having a fit.

Glok
17-08-06, 02:54
Dammit rob if I didn't love my sig so much that would be my new one. Borg what?

Pantho
17-08-06, 03:27
http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_4328251/113501.html

Got mine of ebay, £550 with VaT + Delivery

Although tbh. 40 FPS is the lowest ive had, and that was a op war team in grass with Veg on full

NAPPER
17-08-06, 05:17
whats the most you have to spend on a laptop to make it play nc and vent and good fps are we looking at 4 digits or 3 ?????????

Pantho
17-08-06, 06:29
£550 Like i said :p

Anyways, ur SiG IS SOO WRONG!!!!

SUFC!!!!!

jini
17-08-06, 09:12
No, but check out the cool fingerprint reader for logging in...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/showImage.aspx?id=3282

N
yea, but what if your fingertips are dirty? you also need a cleaning solution with it.... :D

... not to mention you are in danger from your enemies of skinning your fingertips to get access

rob is better equipped:

I got voice recognition authentication, finger print authentication, iris authentication, brainwave pattern authentication and encrypted boot drive with encrypted systemdrive with dual passwords which is alpha numerical and > 12 bytes. Oh right, forgot the urinal sample I have to give to my computer each time Windows is having a fit.
however Rob, you forgot the full DNA analysis sensor :D

retr0n
17-08-06, 10:30
how about you let us know how much you want to spend on it? Otherwise this question doesnt make much sense.
Of course there are plenty gaming-notebooks out there ... they usually are 6-10 month behind the desktop progress, so think about wether you were able to purchase a desktop system half a year ago that supported NC - answer is yes obviously ;)

Apart from what money you want to spend, you should also pay attention to the other areas where you want to use the notebook.
Most gaming notebooks are battery-eaters and usually "loud" as more heat emission needs to be handled. Also, their screen size varies from 15" to 15,4" - 17" ...combined with their weight a lot of affordable gaming racks are rather useless for mobile computing.
If you want the nb for everyday use out of home, probably even mobile (no powerplug) AND still be able to play FPS decent ....it's gonna cost.

/e: The t42 for sure is a nice nb, pricerange for the t42 series starts round 1400€ though (not considering the 512/32MB models) - which is a lot of money (to me at least). But in terms of overall quality you cant pick anything better than a thinkpad T-series.

If I had to pick a gaming rack, I'd probably go for a Joybook tho .. S73 or R55

Hmm, true, should have explained a little more. The computer will be used
primarily for graphical stuff like photoshop, lightwave 3d etc, video editing and
web development.

The key feature of the laptop i'm going for is portability. That in itself ofcourse
means alot more expensive computers. I'm not 100% sure how much I can
spend on it but it doesn't really matter right now.

I am going for a 13" screen, or maximum 14". The one I have been checking
out atm has an Intel Duo Core 2.0ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb sata 5400rpm but it has
an onboard vga thing wich is crap for gaming im guessing.

The other one is similar in all aspects except it's an AMD Turion 64 x2 1.8 ghz
but it comes with an Nvidia GO 7400 card.

Can I be Zissou fanboi number 2?

Actually, got something better, wait and see

Edit:- "Klaus Daimler, Engineer. Calm, collected, German".

Klaus Daimler: Steve!
Steve Zissou: Vikram, is that thing rolling?
Klaus Daimler: Where's Esteban?
Steve Zissou: Encounter with highly abnormal shark-like fish! Ten meters in length! Irregular markings! I tagged it dorsally with a homing dart!

Join the club :D

cMz
17-08-06, 11:33
I have been playing on different DELL Latitude laptops, that I get from work.

They have all been able to run NC2 at what I think is ok.

I have tried:
- Dell C840 - nVidia 440 Go 64 Mb - 1 Gb RAM - Pentium M 1.6 GHz
- Dell D600 - ATI mobility Radeon 9000 - 512 Mb RAM - Pentium M 1.7 GHz
- Dell D610 - ATI Mobility FireGL 3100 - 512 Mb RAM - Pentium M 1.86 GHz
- Dell D820 - nVidia Quadro NVS 120M 512 Mb - 1.5 Gb RAM - DouCore 1.83 GHz

RogerRamjet
17-08-06, 12:42
Klaus Daimler: Steve!
Steve Zissou: Vikram, is that thing rolling?
Klaus Daimler: Where's Esteban?
Steve Zissou: Encounter with highly abnormal shark-like fish! Ten meters in length! Irregular markings! I tagged it dorsally with a homing dart!

Join the club :D

My fave has to be this one:-

Klaus: Thankyou for putting me on the flag Ned.
Ned: Of course Klaus, it was my pleasure.
Klaus: But you stitched me onto the Dolphin, I want you to know how much that means to me.
Ned: I'm very pleased you like it.
Klaus: You're not listening.
I DIDN'T JUST LIKE IT!

retr0n
17-08-06, 13:05
My fave has to be this one:-

Klaus: Thankyou for putting me on the flag Ned.
Ned: Of course Klaus, it was my pleasure.
Klaus: But you stitched me onto the Dolphin, I want you to know how much that means to me.
Ned: I'm very pleased you like it.
Klaus: You're not listening.
I DIDN'T JUST LIKE IT!

One of my favorites with Klaus:

Steve Zissou: Are you sure?
Klaus Daimler: Yes, I am.
Steve Zissou: I don't understand. Why?
Klaus Daimler: What do you mean?... Wait a second. What are we doing? You said cross the line if.
Steve Zissou: Cross the line if you're going to quit.
Klaus Daimler: Oh... Do it again. I misunderstood.

Nr #1 with Klaus has to be in the very beginning:

Steve: Esteban was eaten!
Klaus: Is he dead?
Steve: He was eaten!
Klaus: He was bitten?
Steve: Eaten!!!

aKe`cj
17-08-06, 13:15
primarily for graphical stuff like photoshop, lightwave 3d etc, video editing and
web development.

The key feature of the laptop i'm going for is portability.

Now we're talking

I have very similar requirements for my notebook, although Photoshop / 3dsmax are bit tedious on a small tft (~13").
Using it to do some 'on the fly' changes to existing *.psd etc is not a problem - I still prefer doing the major gfx-stuff on my desktop.

One thing you'll want to make sure is to get a quality display. This is pretty much the only thing that puts me off at IBM/Lenovo notebooks. Right now, Sony's vaio series has by far the best displays - unmatched. The vaio subnotebooks are rather expensive tho'.
Another example for a good Display would be the benQ S53W (13" as well)

btw... is your desktop gonna stay the main gaming rig for you? Is NC2 the only game thats ment to run decent on the notebook? If so, you dont have to go for the fastest graphics-chip (eats a lot of battery) since NC2 primarily needs a lot of RAM and CPU Power. Especially RAM is something you want to put money in, as it not only makes working with multimedia (as mentioned by you above) much more fun, but it also increases the battery duration slightly.

Concerning CPU choice.... I'd prefer an Intel - AMD is a good pick for desktop-replacements, mobility = intel (mho)

A few models I'd reccomend (all viable for NC2):

-> BenQ Joybook S53W

PRO:
Good portability, Small (13.3"), Weight (2.1 kg), solid framework, good display, price (you wont get a better 13" for that money)
CON:
Certainly not a gaming rig (intel GMA 900, supports dx9c) - yet viable for older games, slightly outdated cpu model.

Mid-Priced (max ~1500€)

-> Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2M/B

PRO:
Very good portability (1,9kg - very thin - 4h+ battery lifespan), strong performance, viable for gaming, best display I've had the chance to see in a notebook so far, very solid framework (magnesium chassis).
CON:
I dont own one (yet) :(

Deluxe (max? ..what's that?)

-> Sony Vaio VGN-TX3XP/B

PRO:
Ultra portable (1,2kg - very thin & small: 11" - 7h+ battery lifespan), strong performance, display, very solid framework (magnesium chassis).
CON:
Intel GMA onboard graphics, probably even too small to be viable for multimedia editing (mho - I'd prefer 13"+)

...none of the above are dedicated gaming notebooks.
Most gaming notebooks are rather useless for mobile use (~1-2h battery lifespan, huge displays, loud...) and I prefer to be able to work wireless on my notebook (primarily coding and a bit of gfx inbetween) and sacrifice the gaming performance. With sufficient RAM, all of the above models would work fine with Neocron, the VAIO SZ2M probably being the best pick for your needs.

retr0n
17-08-06, 13:46
Now we're talking

I have very similar requirements for my notebook, although Photoshop / 3dsmax are bit tedious on a small tft (~13").
Using it to do some 'on the fly' changes to existing *.psd etc is not a problem - I still prefer doing the major gfx-stuff on my desktop.

One thing you'll want to make sure is to get a quality display. This is pretty much the only thing that puts me off at IBM/Lenovo notebooks. Right now, Sony's vaio series has by far the best displays - unmatched. The vaio subnotebooks are rather expensive tho'.
Another example for a good Display would be the benQ S53W (13" as well)

btw... is your desktop gonna stay the main gaming rig for you? Is NC2 the only game thats ment to run decent on the notebook? If so, you dont have to go for the fastest graphics-chip (eats a lot of battery) since NC2 primarily needs a lot of RAM and CPU Power. Especially RAM is something you want to put money in, as it not only makes working with multimedia (as mentioned by you above) much more fun, but it also increases the battery duration slightly.

Concerning CPU choice.... I'd prefer an Intel - AMD is a good pick for desktop-replacements, mobility = intel (mho)

A few models I'd reccomend (all viable for NC2):

-> BenQ Joybook S53W

PRO:
Good portability, Small (13.3"), Weight (2.1 kg), solid framework, good display, price (you wont get a better 13" for that money)
CON:
Certainly not a gaming rig (intel GMA 900, supports dx9c) - yet viable for older games, slightly outdated cpu model.

Mid-Priced (max ~1500€)

-> Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2M/B

PRO:
Very good portability (1,9kg - very thin - 4h+ battery lifespan), strong performance, viable for gaming, best display I've had the chance to see in a notebook so far, very solid framework (magnesium chassis).
CON:
I dont own one (yet) :(

Deluxe (max? ..what's that?)

-> Sony Vaio VGN-TX3XP/B

PRO:
Ultra portable (1,2kg - very thin & small: 11" - 7h+ battery lifespan), strong performance, display, very solid framework (magnesium chassis).
CON:
Intel GMA onboard graphics, probably even too small to be viable for multimedia editing (mho - I'd prefer 13"+)

...none of the above are dedicated gaming notebooks.
Most gaming notebooks are rather useless for mobile use (~1-2h battery lifespan, huge displays, loud...) and I prefer to be able to work wireless on my notebook (primarily coding and a bit of gfx inbetween) and sacrifice the gaming performance. With sufficient RAM, all of the above models would work fine with Neocron, the VAIO SZ2M probably being the best pick for your needs.

Hmm lots of info, thanks. Forgot to mention the display quality earlier, yeah
very important. It's going to be mostly on the fly work with occasional outdoors
session if weather permits.

I was looking at some Vaios, but they are pretty pricy for what you get, but
tbh I didn't really look at the display quality of it.

I don't really play any other games except for NC, with the occasional 14-day
trial here and there or an open beta. The main reason I asked was that I'm
thinking of getting rid of my stationary, buying a laptop+docking bay and
using it all out, but I'm not sure if the laptop will be fast enough for my needs
+ nc.

Was also thinking about a macbook. They have some pretty descent displays
and I can run XP on them now with BootCamp to play NC now and then, but
the only bad thing about it is the onboard intel 950 vga thingy. No graphics
card. MacBook Pro has a descent ati card but they only come in 15" and 17" :/

Not sure, it's tricky. Maybe I should stick with my stationary anyway for games
etc..

aKe`cj
17-08-06, 14:09
Mac's are beatiful notebooks and of high quality, no doubt. They're not designed for Windoze tho' and rather expensive too.

If you want to work outside (outside == sunlight), you'll have a hard time with most displays ... notable exception: sony.
With the sony nb's you pay for excellent quality... and a lil bit for the brand of course.
If there's one mistake you dont want to make, it's buying a cheaper barebone assembly that reads nice on the tech-sheet, but starts to get all rattly after a few. Wont happen with a Sony, although they dont quite match the IBM Thinkpad workmanship.

Anyhow - if you're looking for a proper desktop replacement, with great portability, I'd rule out the S53 and look at Sony, Lenovo/IBM or Samsung (prly Toshiba as well - never used one though).
When using it as a main, you'll want to have reliable and durable system... thats what you pay extra for - compared to other systems with similar specs. Dont cut short on quality for fancy sys specs - a superfast system is not much use when it causes you trouble frequently.

Out of all, Samsung seems to have the best portable machines atm - talk about expensive tho'

jini
17-08-06, 16:02
Whatever you do, you got to have in mind, that these are expensive with 0 upgrade path. And that they are good for just 3 years... basically they are good only for the commuter. Small size comes at a price

retr0n
17-08-06, 16:09
Mac's are beatiful notebooks and of high quality, no doubt. They're not designed for Windoze tho' and rather expensive too.

Sure you can :D
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

After further investigation today, I'm picking either a:

MacBook
13" display
2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo
1gb Ram
80gb HDD
Intel's 950 graphics chip
+ random stuff
+ keep my stationary for games every now and then

~ € 1500

OR

Sony Vaio SZ2
13.3" display
1.66 ghz Intel Core Duo
1gb Ram
80gb HDD
Nvidia GO 7400 128mb
+ random stuff
+ kiss my stationary goodbye

~ € 2100

The Vaio is a bit more expensive then the mac book, and the only real difference
is the Nvidia card the Vaio has, however macbook has a better CPU. I have
no experience with Vaio display's though so it might beat the mac there, but
the mac display is certainly good enough, especially for on the fly work. There
will probably not be many outdoor sessions anyway, seeing as how I live in
sweden and it's either A) not sunny or B) not warm enough to actually sit
outside and work.

I'm kindof also thinking that maybe I should keep my stationary and upgrade
it just a tad bit. If I buy the mac I could have €600 (diff. between vaio and
mac) to spend on my stationary which would give it a nice boost in
performance.

Another thing pulling me towards the mac is looks, macbook black is very sexy.

Hmm, all these choices.

aKe`cj
17-08-06, 16:21
Sure you can :D

I never claimed you cant... all I said was, macbooks are not designed for windows ...personally I prefer to work with ibm/x86 type computers (including the input peripherals).
I've had my hands on a windozed-mac - cant say I felt comfortable with it (that's me - might be diff for you ;) ).

Try to find a retailer where you can see, feel and use both notebooks - if possible, get the retailer to show you bootcamp on the mac.
Both notebooks are of excellent quality - cant do much wrong either way... just make sure you feel comfortable with the sys :)

ROZZER187
17-08-06, 16:29
£550 Like i said :p

Anyways, ur SiG IS SOO WRONG!!!!

SUFC!!!!!

we're all blades aren't we?? :lol:

Sammson
17-08-06, 21:31
Hmm, true, should have explained a little more. The computer will be used
web development.

The key feature of the laptop i'm going for is portability. That in itself ofcourse
means alot more expensive computers. I'm not 100% sure how much I can
spend on it but it doesn't really matter right now.

I am going for a 13" screen, or maximum 14". The one I have been checking
out atm has an Intel Duo Core 2.0ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb sata 5400rpm but it has
an onboard vga thing wich is crap for gaming im guessing.

To fill all those needs, ignore the NC performance and do yourself a favour.
An X41 IBM (Lenovo now) Tablet. Get the sleeve (case) and it becomes jewellery. Any other notebook pales in portability, and finally making contact onscreen with graphics is a whole new dimension. NC will play, but this machine-- it's too good for games.

aKe`cj
17-08-06, 22:51
To fill all those needs, ignore the NC performance and do yourself a favour.
An X41 IBM (Lenovo now) Tablet. Get the sleeve (case) and it becomes jewellery. Any other notebook pales in portability, and finally making contact onscreen with graphics is a whole new dimension. NC will play, but this machine-- it's too good for games.

I agree on the X-series being a gem on the portability side of things (as well as quality) ... but why in gods name the tablet version X41? An X60s has way better components and nets a few hundred dollars less ... what do you need the tablet design for?

retr0n
17-08-06, 23:18
I agree on the X-series being a gem on the portability side of things (as well as quality) ... but why in gods name the tablet version X41? An X60s has way better components and nets a few hundred dollars less ... what do you need the tablet design for?

Was just about to ask the same. X60 series is about the same price as the Vaio
I've been checking out, so I might look into it some more.

Koshinn
17-08-06, 23:28
Whatever you do, you got to have in mind, that these are expensive with 0 upgrade path. And that they are good for just 3 years... basically they are good only for the commuter. Small size comes at a price

Not entire true, laptops can upgrade many things. Processor (most notably going from a core duo to a core 2 duo in a few months, it's just a processor swap basically), ram, hard drive, mini-card, and even some graphics cards! It's a little known fact that nVidia released specifications for swappable graphics cards on laptops a long time ago and many laptop makers follow those specifications so they can get laptops out faster instead of redesigning a whole new motherboard. Unfortunately, they rarely advertise that they're MXM.

This may help though...

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html

Ever think of Alienware?

Sentia m3450, 2.5kg, ~3.5 hrs battery life, € 1517
14" WideXGA 1280 x 768 LCD with Clearview Technology and Webcam
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 2.0GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
80GB 7200 RPM SATA with NCQ (you could get a 5400rpm HD instead, like the ones sony and ibm use, but 7200 rpm is soooooooo much better)
Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
CD-Burner: 24x10x24x CD-RW / 8x DVD Combo w/Software

Unfortunately I don't know if they sell them in sweden.. but they do in france, england and germany... :(

Sammson
17-08-06, 23:40
Heh, I guess I'm just biased. After a few months using it as I run around the job site and having it always ready, it's just so handy.
It depends on whether you want to move the machine from place to place, or use it as you move. I've found it way more usefull day to day then a notebook that still needs a desk /perch. Tougher too.
I can't say I'm anything but a casual user in photoshop, but I know its way fun to muck around in there with the pen.
And true, the screen is expensive, and the thing is designed for low weight and power consumption, rather than performance, but it's working great for me.
How it understands my handwriting is beyond me tho, lol.

retr0n
17-08-06, 23:57
Ever think of Alienware?

Sentia m3450, 2.5kg, ~3.5 hrs battery life, € 1517
14" WideXGA 1280 x 768 LCD with Clearview Technology and Webcam
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 2.0GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
80GB 7200 RPM SATA with NCQ (you could get a 5400rpm HD instead, like the ones sony and ibm use, but 7200 rpm is soooooooo much better)
Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
CD-Burner: 24x10x24x CD-RW / 8x DVD Combo w/Software

Unfortunately I don't know if they sell them in sweden.. but they do in france, england and germany... :(

Hmm, yeah I guess that's basically the same spec as the mac or vaio. They
don't sell them here in Sweden though. Plus they are somewhat ugly imo :p

Heh, I guess I'm just biased. After a few months using it as I run around the job site and having it always ready, it's just so handy.
It depends on whether you want to move the machine from place to place, or use it as you move. I've found it way more usefull day to day then a notebook that still needs a desk /perch. Tougher too.
I can't say I'm anything but a casual user in photoshop, but I know its way fun to muck around in there with the pen.
And true, the screen is expensive, and the thing is designed for low weight and power consumption, rather than performance, but it's working great for me.
How it understands my handwriting is beyond me tho, lol.

How sensitive is the screen compared to a Wacom Intuos tablet? Is it good
enough to actually work on, or just good enough to have fun with?

Sammson
18-08-06, 00:06
It is a wacom screen, so I'd imagine it is the same. Hense the high price for it.

jini
18-08-06, 06:50
Hi matey.
The small macbook is a very nice and cheap choice of a laptop. I would have gone to an even cheaper one, but indeed the apple is a nice choice. If I remember (not sure) the new apples now come with glossy screens, like the one Sony uses. You will be able to run windoze fine, but the shitty gfx card is not the best thing for games. Neocron will run in DX7 however.
Laptops at this price range are hardly an alternative for games, as they heat up a lot and it comes a point you cant use them. No matter what you will hear from here and there upgrading a laptop is not possible, meaning your investment will have 3-4 years of a lifespan.
You will have to keep your desktop just for games. sounds a bit too much
However what the mac will do is, it will help you with all your personal work that you do

Edit: why the 2.0 Ghz? take the 1.8 one and save some 400$ from the introductory price. This model lists for 1100$ in USA, add another 100$ for a giga RAM and you are ready. 1500€ sounds a bit too much. With taxes added you can hopefor something in the 1100 €. Half the costs of a Vaio, some 400€ per year ;)

Edit2: with upgrades I meant changing both cpu and gpu and you cant to most of them, but the problem is also that they tend to break down with heavy use.It's not just a pice of plastic like a keyboard that you keep uing all the time. You open/close the lid (the hinges might break) it gets heated, a component might break, it's motherboard is most of it's cost etc...

retr0n
18-08-06, 10:17
Hi matey.
The small macbook is a very nice and cheap choice of a laptop. I would have gone to an even cheaper one, but indeed the apple is a nice choice. If I remember (not sure) the new apples now come with glossy screens, like the one Sony uses. You will be able to run windoze fine, but the shitty gfx card is not the best thing for games. Neocron will run in DX7 however.
Laptops at this price range are hardly an alternative for games, as they heat up a lot and it comes a point you cant use them. No matter what you will hear from here and there upgrading a laptop is not possible, meaning your investment will have 3-4 years of a lifespan.
You will have to keep your desktop just for games. sounds a bit too much
However what the mac will do is, it will help you with all your personal work that you do

Edit: why the 2.0 Ghz? take the 1.8 one and save some 400$ from the introductory price. This model lists for 1100$ in USA, add another 100$ for a giga RAM and you are ready. 1500€ sounds a bit too much. With taxes added you can hopefor something in the 1100 €. Half the costs of a Vaio, some 400€ per year ;)

Edit2: with upgrades I meant changing both cpu and gpu and you cant to most of them, but the problem is also that they tend to break down with heavy use.It's not just a pice of plastic like a keyboard that you keep uing all the time. You open/close the lid (the hinges might break) it gets heated, a component might break, it's motherboard is most of it's cost etc...

Hi ho.
The reason it costs 1500€ is because i got an extra stick of ram, wich is 90€
and i'm going for the black one for looks, and that's 200€ extra :p

jini
18-08-06, 12:28
Hi ho.
The reason it costs 1500€ is because i got an extra stick of ram, wich is 90€
and i'm going for the black one for looks, and that's 200€ extra :p
yes i can see it now. it costs so high because it uses a better cpu. On the other hand with 500euros more you get the macbook pro. Is the colour so big of an issue for you? @1200 euros the white one is a bargain for what it will do. Don't forget, that for this price you also get a webcam and a remote control for dvds/cds/and movies

Seraphin[69]
18-08-06, 13:57
that's just my personnal feeling but...

NC2 was playable on my 3000+ FX5800go graphic card 1Go mem but NC2.1 and the vegetation fucked up my FPS

Now if I fight outside, I lag and drop to 10 fps.
If I fight an apu with holy lightning, my FPS drop to 3 everytime he hits me so... ouchy ouchy (and I'm not talking about the devourer)

silent000
18-08-06, 14:17
Can any1's comp stand the FPS fuk up from a devvy? i used to get the HL fuk up FPS thing but thats sorted but the devvy is fuking mental

retr0n
18-08-06, 15:33
yes i can see it now. it costs so high because it uses a better cpu. On the other hand with 500euros more you get the macbook pro. Is the colour so big of an issue for you? @1200 euros the white one is a bargain for what it will do. Don't forget, that for this price you also get a webcam and a remote control for dvds/cds/and movies

Yeah, I would go for MacBook Pro, but they don't sell the 12" version anymore,
only 15" and 17", and that's too big for me.

]that's just my personnal feeling but...

NC2 was playable on my 3000+ FX5800go graphic card 1Go mem but NC2.1 and the vegetation fucked up my FPS

Now if I fight outside, I lag and drop to 10 fps.
If I fight an apu with holy lightning, my FPS drop to 3 everytime he hits me so... ouchy ouchy (and I'm not talking about the devourer)

Yeah I get the same thing, HL spam kills my fps :/

jini
18-08-06, 16:06
This 12" screen was amazing. I don't know how much bigger the 13,5" makes the whole laptop, but this 12" was perfect.
If you decide to buy it, report back on using it against XP :p