PDA

View Full Version : [OT] spyware removal

Scaramanga
13-08-06, 01:32
Getting an annoying advert for a spyware etc removal tool that keeps opening IE windows and telling me to buy an anti virus package to remove itself. Currently using AVG as an antivirus measure.

Any advice on how to get rid of it?

Bishop Yutani
13-08-06, 02:02
try the free stuf first. Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot, even CCleaner, which i just found for the first time the other day.

Dribble Joy
13-08-06, 02:02
Ran spybot S&S or adaware (or similar) on your comp yet?

nobby
13-08-06, 02:25
I'm getting the same as him, I ran scans, removed shit....It's still there!

Glok
13-08-06, 02:38
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

nobby
13-08-06, 03:00
no no no it ain't that !

Scaramanga
13-08-06, 13:39
Thanks for the advice, i'll give them a try.
Had me a bit miffed at first as when the window opened for the advert i hit Ctrl Alt Del and there wasnt any entry for a program running.

/edit

Ran that spybot S&D, seems to have done the trick. So thanks for that pointer!
On the down side AVG keeps finding lots of Trojan horses, it claims to have healed them but they crop up everytime i start the machine.

rob444
13-08-06, 14:42
Next time I suggest doing every kind of scans in Windows Safe-Mode since then, only needed Windows stuff will be executed thus no viruses/spyware will be executed and can be easily removed without effort.

Bishop Yutani
13-08-06, 15:07
rob444 has a point. Some of them baddies get protected by windows because they're running processes or whatever. You can build a live cd of windows with bartPE, run knoppix or maybe boot to safe mode (i never tried that)

either way, your spyware scanner will usually find stuff it wouldnt normally find when your computer was booted up normally.

LiL T
14-08-06, 00:12
If your spyware removal tool gives the name of the thing infecting your machine, search for it on the web, look for ways to manualy remove it. Often these things put them selves into the registory etc are can't be remove.... Once you got rid of them fucking stop using IE and download firefox problem solved..

I recomend buying this virus scanner

http://www.eset.com/

Never ever had a virus since and it blocks spyware to, it downloads stuff checks it befor your computer even displays it.

Apocalypsox
14-08-06, 00:14
tbh this stuff pissed me off...so i bought something called spykiller- works pretty damn good. Although my antivirus does do it too...

Scaramanga
15-08-06, 01:22
Been using Moxilla for about a year, find it far, far better than IE.
The spybot suggested seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for all the advice.

Can close thread now unless someone else needs it left open.