PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk UI/RPOS enhancements

Bishop Yutani
11-08-06, 17:58
There are a number of gripes i have with the UI in-game, and i was thinking of ways to fix them...

1 - I think it would be cool if when you selected a spell, a little marker appeared on your psi energy bar to show how much psi you needed to cast it. So when you're waiting to regenerate enough energy, you're not clicking away like an idiot.

2 - Another PSI thing. The icons that appear once you've cast don't clue you in on which spell it is. It would be nice to get some text or something, as my two heals look exactly the same and i often recast the wrong one when one runs out. For self buffs, the status indicator could appear next to the corresponding slot in the quickbelt...

3 - If non-rares cap their quality at 94%, then why does the item description say 94/120? That implies that its max is 120. It looks like there's a template that was used for every item, regardless of if the information fit correctly, which is why i was sweating bullets as a noob when i used my Mr Jones research tool and was afraid the quality was going to go to 0 and break like my nailgun. And dont get me started on the idea of saying 120%. Its like the Spinal Tap amplifier that goes to 11. And how about some descriptions for items, ESPECIALLY psi spells?

So basically, everything in the item description screen is F'ed

4 - Wouldn't it be better if the genrep list showed the world map along with the inter-city genreps?

5 - I remember a thread a little while ago about adding the poker's name to the Implanting status bar. Seconded, and the Trade with Player BS.

There are a few more, but i have to go to lunch. Anyone else have any UI gripes?

Scanner Darkly
11-08-06, 21:48
There are a number of gripes i have with the UI in-game, and i was thinking of ways to fix them...

1 - I think it would be cool if when you selected a spell, a little marker appeared on your psi energy bar to show how much psi you needed to cast it. So when you're waiting to regenerate enough energy, you're not clicking away like an idiot.

Experience of the game and playing as a monk long enough should eliminate this idiocy - unneccessary

2 - Another PSI thing. The icons that appear once you've cast don't clue you in on which spell it is. It would be nice to get some text or something, as my two heals look exactly the same and i often recast the wrong one when one runs out. For self buffs, the status indicator could appear next to the corresponding slot in the quickbelt...

This might prove somewhat useful, but again this is up to the player to keep track of, or at least has never bothered me.

3 - If non-rares cap their quality at 94%, then why does the item description say 94/120? That implies that its max is 120. It looks like there's a template that was used for every item, regardless of if the information fit correctly, which is why i was sweating bullets as a noob when i used my Mr Jones research tool and was afraid the quality was going to go to 0 and break like my nailgun. And dont get me started on the idea of saying 120%. Its like the Spinal Tap amplifier that goes to 11. And how about some descriptions for items, ESPECIALLY psi spells?

So basically, everything in the item description screen is F'ed

So you'd rather that non rares wore out really quickly? That would not enhance my playing experience.

4 - Wouldn't it be better if the genrep list showed the world map along with the inter-city genreps?

There should be a button on the gen rep window that would sort your list in alphabetical order. This would save a lot of time and hassle for people who aren't anal enough to sort their genreps exactly the same across xx chars on xx accounts.

5 - I remember a thread a little while ago about adding the poker's name to the Implanting status bar. Seconded, and the Trade with Player BS.

Less confusion about who to tip is always good!

Glok
11-08-06, 21:54
Non rares - 94/120 - um duh? Mods! :p

ZoVoS
12-08-06, 03:44
almost all of these problems will become nothing as u get more fammiliar with the game...

just be thankfull we can actualy move genrep locations up n down the list now... imagine having tagged all of nc as a noob then having tagged all of the outzone and close genreps only to have DRT, CRP and the battledome somewhere randomly in there followed by another ton of points meaning they take ages to find

=\ n i only get pokes when i ask a friend to come and poke me... and with the current game populations i duno how anybody gets a poke of sumbody who isnt a friend of theres

Bishop Yutani
12-08-06, 04:28
all i'm saying is that a user interface should be intuitive and display worthwhile information in a way that is easy to recognize and in many ways neocron's does neither.

experience in the game is great, but using the argument that once you know what something is, you no longer need an explanation about what it does is probably exactly what got KK in this problem to begin with.

Tratos
12-08-06, 10:49
Some UI enhancements i'd like to see is the Buddy chat panel and channel being turned off, the buddy list then becomes just that, a list of people you've added to it, you would then mark an [X] much like the custom channel list next to the user names you want specific messages to go to, you would also be able to double click names to have their name added to the direct channel so you can quickly click a name and start chatting to that person directly.

The current buddy system just dosnt make any sence.

It would also be cool to see the F1 window completely merged into the communicator so that the buttons currently on the F1 window become tabs along the top of the communicator, each tabs related chat would then be displayed on that tab in the communicator. F1 would be reduced to communicator settings such as selecting buddies to talk to, adding names to direct and chosing a custom channel. A new channel/tab would also be added which contained system message such as killed by, you killed, you recieved, you cant reach that etc etc to clean up the chat.

"Custom Channel" needs a more fitting name too as it implys i can make my own channel.

Contorls for muting a channel would be added to the tabs on the communicator bar at the bottom of the RPOS.

Alot of those ideas are based around the chat functionalities of most of MMOs but i find those systems work alot better and make alot more sence than Neocron's :p

Excuse any bad spelling, i've only just woken up.

Bishop Yutani
12-08-06, 15:16
true tratos, the communication area does need some tweaking.

There's no easier way to add someone to direct or buddy? You have to type the name in, which can suck if you're in the middle of something or they have some weird or long name. and then to delete it, you have to minus (-) it from the direct list, then backspace over it in the text box and then write a new name in. :rolleyes:

double click ftw

ZoVoS
12-08-06, 16:14
i just add everybody to buddy... i dont talk in it i just click a name then change to direct :S as far as i remember that always worked... i rarely talk ingame direct to people now i supose... but im sure that worked