PDA

View Full Version : Monks : What Should I know ?

Neally
04-08-06, 17:56
Hi,

Well as said in a previously thread I'm back after 6 months, I have been reading the Balancing Discussion Forum for a bit, and I saw "Maybe" that a new class would appear for the monks: The EPU.

For now I can not determinate what is this about, I have read the next APU changes about aim and others things about the PPU.

I heard by some players that, the EPU itself is a class that may be able to control weakening skills.

Here is how I would see a class like the EPU

A class that is able to paralyze his enemy as much as he can (maybe not to 99% for 10 mins too :))
A class that would be weakening his enemy (Here i'm talking about damage boost, and why not, buffs that give -30 in Energy resist for a few seconds, that's just an exemple)
And then, the EPU would be able to anti-cast his enemy (the APU wouldn't be able to do that anymore). Also, for exemple, spells that would not do damage to his enemy, but reduce his mana

Anway, that's how I see a class like the EPU, now I haven't read all of the Balancing Forum. So, if anyone can inform me on a short "what has been done - what's going to be done" ?

/ty :angel:

Dribble Joy
04-08-06, 18:12
PPU is probably going to be split.

EPU: Passive aggressive spells. DB, anti buffs, etc.

PPU: Direct Passive spells. Heal, shelter, etc.

You could do either to the fullest, or a mixture of the two to a lower extent.

Or at least that's what I gleaned so far.

CMaster
04-08-06, 18:31
PPU is probably going to be split.

EPU: Passive aggressive spells. DB, anti buffs, etc.

PPU: Direct Passive spells. Heal, shelter, etc.

You could do either to the fullest, or a mixture of the two to a lower extent.

Or at least that's what I gleaned so far.

I know I offically withdrew from Balancing after KK made it quite clear how much they valued all the time I had put into the project and spent explaining their concpets more clearly to others (ie, not at all, they'd rather delete my messages and ignore me), however I have kept an eye on it and I am pretty sure they did ditch the EPU idea.

Dribble Joy
04-08-06, 18:43
Dude, you think they take every word I say as scripture?
I have little hope that they do whatever I tell them, all you can do is state your corner and see what happens.

As for EPU, I can't remember them ditching it, though feel free to prove me wrong.

Nidhogg
04-08-06, 18:52
I know I offically withdrew from Balancing after KK made it quite clear how much they valued all the time I had put into the project and spent explaining their concpets more clearly to others (ie, not at all, they'd rather delete my messages and ignore me), however I have kept an eye on it and I am pretty sure they did ditch the EPU idea.
That's funny. The way I remember it was you decided to take no futher part because we liked an idea from the German community and hadn't bothered to share it with the English community. Then I remember Than pointing out that all the information had actually been presented and you just hadn't read it. But even if that weren't the case I see that even though you've "officially" withdrawn, you're still contributing "unnofficially". ;)

N

CMaster
04-08-06, 18:56
That's funny. The way I remember it was you decided to take no futher part because we liked an idea from the German community and hadn't bothered to share it with the English community. Then I remember Than pointing out that all the information had actually been presented and you just hadn't read it. But even if that weren't the case I see that even though you've "officially" withdrawn, you're still contributing "unnofficially". ;)

N

Nope, that was a later incident. An idea was presented, and I asked (perhaps a bit harshley) for clarification on the source and details of this idea. Thanatos then clarified that it was one presented earlier.
I'd lost my patience with the project andthe attitude of those involved before that.

@ DJ no, I don't. What I do object to is coming in with an idea we had all asked them not to, that there were pages of carefuly written explanations as to why it would be bad, then seeming suprised when we react suprised. When I get edited for saying that certain points here and here seem to have been ignored. When it becomes clear KK have carefully mapped it all out anyway (although will go back on things that have really strong opposition to) and the balancing communication is cleary just an appeasment startergy. Hell, look at whats going on at the moment - a weekly release of a few numbers, all already decided on by KK staff, not subject to change as far as we know and not actually telling us anything the inital weapon discussion post didn't.

Nidhogg
04-08-06, 19:02
(perhaps a bit harshley)
What was edited was this:
We'd like you to tell us about any issues that would cause imbalance you see. When you point them out we will ignore them and continue regardless, despite the fact you (the community) have provided several reasons why it would be imbalanced and we (KK) haven't at any point suggested how this would improve balance. Thank you for your time and enjoy the para.That was childish in the extreme and we warned you that non-constructive posts, flames or random comments would be removed when the balancing forum was created. We've come quite a long way since that post.

N

Scaramanga
04-08-06, 19:14
Then I remember Than pointing out that all the information had actually been presented and you just hadn't read it.

This makes no sense. Please clarify.

Dribble Joy
04-08-06, 19:19
Than = Thanatos.

CMaster
04-08-06, 19:38
http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=1999071&postcount=177

Was orignially posted as a sepreate thread (and has since been edited for clarity). There was some confusion among people (including myself) who weren't fully aware what "Satty's" idea was - although the concept of all the weapon skills contributing to each other had gone on already.

Neally
04-08-06, 20:31
And....About EPU ? :lol:

CMaster
04-08-06, 21:01
PPU was going to be heals, s/d etc.
EPU was going to be primes, maybe anti-debuff spells, maybe debuffs.
The idea was abandoned I believe, for making the hybrid problem overly complex and either boosting hybrids or nerfing PEs horribly.

Scaramanga
04-08-06, 22:19
Than = Thanatos.

And now it makes sense, thanks DJ.

Dribble Joy
04-08-06, 23:31
PPU was going to be heals, s/d etc.
EPU was going to be primes, maybe anti-debuff spells, maybe debuffs.
The idea was abandoned I believe, for making the hybrid problem overly complex and either boosting hybrids or nerfing PEs horribly.
How deliciously opinionated.

Frankly, I'd rather like the EPU system. Anyway....

CMaster
04-08-06, 23:32
How deliciously opinionated.

Frankly, I'd rather like the EPU system. Anyway....

I said I believe that was the reason - certainly some of the arguments went that way. Doesn't mean that those reasons were necissarily correct.

Pantho
05-08-06, 02:02
What was edited was this:That was childish in the extreme and we warned you that non-constructive posts, flames or random comments would be removed when the balancing forum was created. We've come quite a long way since that post.

N

Originally Posted by John Doe (edited)
We'd like you to tell us about any issues that would cause imbalance you see. When you point them out we will ignore them and continue regardless, despite the fact you (the community) have provided several reasons why it would be imbalanced and we (KK) haven't at any point suggested how this would improve balance. Thank you for your time and enjoy the para.

John Doe... KK official said that?

Nidhogg
05-08-06, 02:06
John Doe... KK official said that?
No, obviously not. Mr. CMaster created that quote which is why he was edited. It wasn't a big deal at the time and it certainly isn't a big deal now; certainly not something I'd want to see someone as experienced as CMaster throw in the balancing towel over. ;)

N

Pantho
05-08-06, 02:08
ty.... Its all clear

Glok
05-08-06, 05:12
Monks:

1)If you play a monk you are hunted and everyone hates you.

2)If you talk about monks everyone will hate you no matter what you say.

3)LVL 32 WIZARD ATTAINED! ADAPT!. [intelligence + 3, dexterity + 1]

Get used to those LoM pills. KK are fucking evil.

Neally
05-08-06, 13:36
Well, To be honest, I think EPU would be a good third monk class. But some problems still remain, like how can you do PvE with a class like that, how can that class protect itself, how shit It would be in 1vs1.

CMaster
05-08-06, 13:40
Well, To be honest, I think EPU would be a good third monk class. But some problems still remain, like how can you do PvE with a class like that, how can that class protect itself, how shit It would be in 1vs1.

Several of the problems that exist with present PPUs anyway. Oh yes, now I remember one of the big complaints: "not another class that doesnt fight, but just makes others uber and paras you". ANyway, go throw the idea into PPU discussion thred in balancing if you like.

Neally
05-08-06, 13:48
Several of the problems that exist with present PPUs anyway. Oh yes, now I remember one of the big complaints: "not another class that doesnt fight, but just makes others uber and paras you". ANyway, go throw the idea into PPU discussion thred in balancing if you like.

Well I basically just created this thread to get news about the balancing, with all the changes I can't believe the balancing posts, I also have regrets to tell Reakktor they should not enter in really so much details about their game, it's their work to manage a good balancing, of course community's ideas is important, but they still have to decide.

The EPU idea is not that bad, because yes, at the moment I would be tempted to tell a new player to choose monks because they are strong in PvP. There are still problems with Tank armors, but I think that may be discussed in the Balancing Forum

ANd also, I have the feeling that armors should be sold by class, and not by skill restrictions only.