PDA

View Full Version : Just signed up again.. some questions..

Stamm
31-07-06, 16:42
Hi everyone,

I just signed up after being reminded of the games existence on mmorpg.com.

I actually got the game quite a long time ago (played neocron) but due to ill health never actually got to play more than about 2 days tops.

I'll be playing at some really awkward times and durations, making grouping not impossible but usually not worth the effort in finding a group.

1) Can you effectively play solo in the game? Are there extra rewards etc if i seek out groups?

2) I know this next question is somewhat subjective, but there might be a common agreement, on which class is easiest for a complete new player to learn and enjoy?
(i can only reference other fantasy type rpg styles i like.. i wouldnt play a mage class normally, i do like to get the maximum loot possible and do like to be at the front line of battle helping my comrades out... this may help you know which class best fits that style of play)

3) I'm english and dont speak or read a word of German unfortunately. So which is the best server for me to join?
(although i might not group to ever talk to people, i will use any ingame help channels to ask zillions of probably quite newbie and annoying questions! :P )

4) I cant think of anything else. But any additional relevant and sensible information i will take on board.

Thanks for any replies.

Darkana
31-07-06, 17:18
Hi everyoneHi Stamm :)

1) Can you effectively play solo in the game? Are there extra rewards etc if i seek out groups?You can solo in this game pretty good, and you can team up as well. Latter one makes leveling a bit easier and faster, but you are good off solo as well.

2) I know this next question is somewhat subjective, but there might be a common agreement, on which class is easiest for a complete new player to learn and enjoy?
(i can only reference other fantasy type rpg styles i like.. i wouldnt play a mage class normally, i do like to get the maximum loot possible and do like to be at the front line of battle helping my comrades out... this may help you know which class best fits that style of play)Depends on your playstyle. PEs are usually refered to as the class to play if you want to do things mostly on your own. That doesn't mean other classes aren't suited for this, e.g. melee tanks are easy to handle and maintain, but they lack better healing, making them much more effective in groups with a healer type character. For having the most choices of different gameplay go with Spy, they can do tradeskills, droning, pistoling, rifles, driving and flying and other things (naturally not everything at once). Another pretty robust, but not easy to handle character class for starters are monks. In a hybrid version (aggressive and healing powers mixed up) they are decent for soloing as well.

3) I'm english and dont speak or read a word of German unfortunately. So which is the best server for me to join?Terra.

4) I cant think of anything else. But any additional relevant and sensible information i will take on board.I dunno if you have access to the player guides on the forum here; they contain many useful information. Furthermore, there should be some player guide things on the main website, but I haven't looked into these, yet.

nellus
31-07-06, 19:52
HI Stamm

Welcome back to Neocron!

What Darkana has said is true and very relevent. A couple of things i would add is if your stuck or dont know what to do use the "help channel" to ask a question. You can access this by pressing F1 and selecting "custom chat" then scroll down to "help" and highlight it, this chooses it as you selected channel to speak on. Make sure there is a cross in the brackets infront of the word "help" this shows you want to listen to this chanel it should look like this (x)HELP.
There are always people on willing to answer any questions and give you any help needed.

Second point i would make is dont remove your LE chip your Law Enforcer. This chip is to prevent you from harming other runners and protects you from being harmed by other runners. If you decide when youve levelled up to a reasonable stage that you want to start playing PvP or to join a clan then you can take it out.

Have fun hope to see you ingame soon

Nellus

Stamm
31-07-06, 20:04
Thanks Darkana and Nellus.

I guess ill find out when i logon. But incase i dont, what is a PE?
(im going to hazard a guess at Psychic.... err... Engineer!?)

Spy sounds interesting, as does this PE character type.

I think i'll hold off playing a Monk until ive got the grasp of the game.
I want to get as much bang for my buck in the short amount of time on each play session i get.

ZoVoS
31-07-06, 20:29
Thanks Darkana and Nellus.

I guess ill find out when i logon. But incase i dont, what is a PE?
(im going to hazard a guess at Psychic.... err... Engineer!?)

Spy sounds interesting, as does this PE character type.

I think i'll hold off playing a Monk until ive got the grasp of the game.
I want to get as much bang for my buck in the short amount of time on each play session i get.

private eye =] jack o all trades lol

i dispute there the best to start with though...

go meele tank or spy

spy constructer/resercher/drone or riful (if u realy wana do everything ur self. this is ok for low lvls when u are not fully immersed in the game)

or meeletank if u just wana fight and hunt

Stamm
31-07-06, 21:08
thanks ZoVoS

it looks as if i will need to choose something other than Private Eye anyway.

when i got the option to select jobs, Private Eye was not listed. :(

Loads of others, Field Medic, Smuggler, Berserker etc. etc.

Stamm
31-07-06, 21:51
Ok more questions before i turn in for the night...

Just been playing through the tutorial and i got to this room with some StormBots in it.

The woman on the intercom says 'Not Good.Abort Abort' and then theres some gun shot noises and im dumped back to the character creation screen, BUT my character has disappeared.

Does this game kill your characters completely if you make a simple mistake?

I couldnt even fight back at those STormBots in the little room, the scene appeared scripted in some way.

Can anyone help?

Hopefully i'll get an answer to this weird bug by tomorrow.

ZoVoS
31-07-06, 22:54
thanks ZoVoS

it looks as if i will need to choose something other than Private Eye anyway.

when i got the option to select jobs, Private Eye was not listed. :(

Loads of others, Field Medic, Smuggler, Berserker etc. etc.

private eye is a class

your looking at professions. they decide what starter items and jones missions u get along with starter points.

but there most used for there special noob jones item. "infiltrator's" stelath tool (is that right? i aint reroled a pe in ages) that and a tech lvl 10 heal from a preacher (again is a preacher right?)

-=edit=- and thats the tutorial =] the storm bots kill you and ur regenerated in noobie mc5 withough ur memories

if you are pro city you are brainwashed... HAIL REZZA
if you are pro dome a virus is smuggled in and although your memorys are wiped you are not brainwashed to love rezza and are asked to leave the astablishment immidiatly =]

basicaly ur still on the tutorial so thats not the actual game

NAPPER
01-08-06, 05:16
for a first time player I would pick a tank and make it melee
cos for a first time player if you chose a pe you need to use drugs and implants and have a good set-up its really hard

Darkana
01-08-06, 07:46
cos for a first time player if you chose a pe you need to use drugs and implants and have a good set-up its really hard:confused:

Dribble Joy
01-08-06, 08:27
Ok more questions before i turn in for the night...

Just been playing through the tutorial and i got to this room with some StormBots in it.

The woman on the intercom says 'Not Good.Abort Abort' and then theres some gun shot noises and im dumped back to the character creation screen, BUT my character has disappeared.

Does this game kill your characters completely if you make a simple mistake?

I couldnt even fight back at those STormBots in the little room, the scene appeared scripted in some way.

Can anyone help?

Hopefully i'll get an answer to this weird bug by tomorrow.
That's the tutorial. Your 'character' is killed/knocked out in it, and then when your enter the actual game, you have been brainwashed/had your memory wiped and all your skills are at zero.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the tutorial. The game is a better learning experience in itself, as it is reasonably complex at first glance and the learning curve is steep.
Get ingame and use teh help channel to ask for anything.

Stamm
01-08-06, 10:03
Thanks for the answers.

I guess i'll go melee tank for an easier learning curve.

Whats the best Job for a melee tank? (i would say Soldier or something like that?)

another question -

When i enter the game im at MC5, is it worth staying there at all? Place is pretty lifeless.

edit - scrapped the resolution question. solved itself.

Dribble Joy
01-08-06, 10:35
MC5 isn't that great. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, then some of the mobs in there are kinda too high a level, best to leave it really (open the nav-ray window (F9 I think) and select Neocron services, then Genreplicator. This should then show an arrow when started to the genrep (GR) station that you use to get to your appartment) and hit the city.

Street samurai is the best for melee tanks. In your appartment (apt) your should find and NPC called Mr Jones. Talk to him and he will give you a few small missions. At the end of which you should get a shiny sword.

Stamm
01-08-06, 10:41
Cheers Dribble Joy.

Why did the game start me off with a 'Grenade Launcher'.. which i cannot use??
(thats on my Soldier/PE..)

Also im thinking that i like the look of guns and killing stuff from a distance (saves my lazy arse having to run up to things :P )

Is there a good alternative to melee tank thats excellent ranged, but also good for newbies.. or even a combo tank that can mix and match styles to suit?

Thanks again for any replies.

Riddle
01-08-06, 11:00
The job you choose is almost not important as it only affects your reward from Mr. Jones and the weapon you start with. Check Here (http://nc.synergyxr.net/guides/professions/) for a link to the rewards. ###Spoiler### Details of missions!!

The class you choose is everything.

PE can use just about any weapon and you can try almost evrything to see what style you like.

Rifle = PE / SPY - range but slow fire rate on some models
Pistol = PE / Spy - Close but fast rate of fire
Heavy(cannons/lasers) = Tank
Melee you know :p

End game thats what you want as a rifle Tank is not really viable :)

SorkZmok
01-08-06, 13:22
Cheers Dribble Joy.

Why did the game start me off with a 'Grenade Launcher'.. which i cannot use??
(thats on my Soldier/PE..)

Also im thinking that i like the look of guns and killing stuff from a distance (saves my lazy arse having to run up to things :P )

Is there a good alternative to melee tank thats excellent ranged, but also good for newbies.. or even a combo tank that can mix and match styles to suit?

Thanks again for any replies.For a melee tank you need to start as a berserker. You'll get a starting melee weapon and if you run the Mr: Jones quest (after you left MC5, DO THAT RIGHT AWAY :) ) you'll get a neat sword to level with.

nellus
02-08-06, 14:34
When you get to the big city one of the first things you need to do is go to your faction hq and talk to the guy behind the front desk. Its just like registering the fact youve arrived in the city, then you can talk to jones to start your 3 jones missions.