PDA

View Full Version : Radio Station

ArcAngel_Slayer
25-07-06, 18:29
Hi All!!!

I'm thinking of setting up a small Neocron internet radio station.:p

At first I personally will only be able to afford a small subscription to cater for 25 - 50 users. if the need grows then I can look at other options.

First things first I want to know, would any of you listen to it? I would be taking inputs of the types of songs you want on there and probobly keep a list of the tracks displayed if allowed.

Also do we have a Neocron Radio station, I know that I can't find any current running stations at a quick glance!

I hope to have the system as a prerecorded station at first the switch to live at night if it takes off. I may even want to look for people to dj at times I can't.

Also if anyone has any experience in this PM me or post I would be gratefull of the input!:D

It seems like the forums are getting a bit livelier of late!

Arc

Skusty
25-07-06, 19:11
How are you gonna keep it up 24/7? You will need serval people to talk and host.

Apocalypsox
25-07-06, 20:21
OH MY FUCKING GOD

Dude you fucking read my mind. ive been looking for a winamp station to listen to while leveling in the crack. talk to the people from Com40 radio tbh. they used to do it. and SinRadio if you can find them around still.

oh, and no NC radio stations atm- they all died or never got up.

netster
25-07-06, 20:49
militarybase radio down?

edit: thought i couldnt find it..so it seams down.

Scanner Darkly
25-07-06, 21:17
We had this in NC1 on Saturn. I used to tune in now and then and it did make for a much stronger server community feel. People would dm the DJ (who was in game of course) with shout outs for people and music requests. Anyone remember what that canadian dude's name was (the guy who didn't suck!)?

Short answer - I would tune in if I was in game or just chilling...depending on the quality of DJ/unintentioal comedy value of bad DJ.

Conduit
25-07-06, 21:46
Anyone remember what that canadian dude's name was (the guy who didn't suck!)?

Wasn't that The Infamous Brad? (who's american :P)

ArcAngel_Slayer
25-07-06, 21:58
Skusty How are you gonna keep it up 24/7? You will need serval people to talk and host.

well I did say in the post that at first it will be recorded then later hopefully people will be willing to dj when I can't!

We'll have to see what the response from the community is first.

Arc

Shujin
25-07-06, 22:06
I know its for a different game, but in EVE-Online there are multiple radio stations http://www.eve-radio.com is the main one. There was recently a tournament that they actually streamed video from it and had over 8000 viewers :)

But even if you dont play eve, you can listen in while you play cron. They always have DJ's.

edit: oh and tbh they require major donations to keep themselves on air. But I suspect neocron's radio would require significantly less power o_O

Apocalypsox
25-07-06, 23:13
Shujin stop subtely advertising Eve you nub :p and most MMOs have a radio station tbh.

ArcAngel_Slayer
25-07-06, 23:35
I've seen Eve-Radio, not bad! like Shujin I play Eve but its nowhere near the same level of appeal in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I've been playing Neocron now for two weeks solid, Eve is good it just aint Neocron!

Haven't touched any other game for that time!

Arc

CMaster
25-07-06, 23:40
Last Radio Station we had around was SinRadio, who did their thing for a bit, then dissapeared. Leaving behind some very nasty stories about what they did with all their donations and such.
If you have the knowledge, the determination and the skills, do it. And I'd be very suprised if you get more than 50 listeners, so I wouldnt worry about that.

Tratos
26-07-06, 00:59
Last Radio Station we had around was SinRadio, who did their thing for a bit, then dissapeared. Leaving behind some very nasty stories about what they did with all their donations and such.
I was going to mention that, there were some 'suspicious' ebay auctions after they disapeared.

cRazy-
26-07-06, 02:28
talk to the people from Com40 radio tbh.

That person is myself.

If you need any help or pointers with it then feel free to contact me. I know pretty much everything there is to know about it as far as the technical and Marketing side goes.

Scanner Darkly
27-07-06, 00:16
Wasn't that The Infamous Brad? (who's american :P)

Nope, not the one I'm thinking of mate. I think you remember him tho, he was in FA and had a sexy Suicide Girls avatar (girl with pink hair iirc) here on the forums.

I was even clanned with him for a while, but he vanished ages ago and for the life of me I can't remember his name.

Are you serious about this ArcAngel? Are you looking for other DJs to share the channel? What software will you be using? Winamp/Shoutcast works pretty well, but maybe you've got other ideas.

ArcAngel_Slayer
27-07-06, 09:39
Shoutcast is a very deffinate option, I'm also looking at PirateRadio software and Live365.com as possible options. however the shoutcast software is an option.

Its just that Shoutcast don't have a sever option available. so I would have to setup my PC as a server, thats the same with PirateRadio.

At the moment I'm looking at diffrent options and trying a few others!:D

CRazy- Thanks for the offer Man expect a PM soon!:p

Arc

Conduit
27-07-06, 10:09
I think you remember him tho, he was in FA and had a sexy Suicide Girls avatar (girl with pink hair iirc) here on the forums.

Hmm Metalangel (http://forum.neocron.com/member.php?u=9177)?

Dribble Joy
27-07-06, 11:23
I remember him, gave me a lift when we went to SUKING.

RogerRamjet
27-07-06, 16:56
Hahaha i remember sophie ellis bumsexxor, what a legend.

SorkZmok
27-07-06, 17:21
Hahaha i remember sophie ellis bumsexxor, what a legend.
Hahah, first thing to my mind when i read his name. :lol:

ArcAngel_Slayer
27-07-06, 23:09
Ok guys I've been doing a little thinking and would like some inputs!

Firstly I have to make a choice what to do! I've looked at software like Shoutcast and Pirate radio, however there is one large drawback!

I have to use my computer to serve... this removes my ability to give you a decent station, firstly downloading of any form for myself would be difficult, as I will be uploading that is a problem for the constance of the stream!

also keeping my equipment on constantly poses a problem, as I work and have to sleep with my system in my bedroom. moving it to the lounge is not an option! my laptop is not powerful enough to do this iether!

I've been looking into live365.com.

so far its a cheap method to bring you a station! and I don't have to constantly be switched on!

1 drawback I can see is that the station will advertise! I don't like this at all, so whats your opinions and do any of you know of any other service providers like this?

Ok thanks guys for all the input!:D

Arc

P.S. this is for Nid, if you're listning would it be possible for me to request adverts from the neocron world, for instance the crytons techtools ads and the A&W ads in mp3 format? this is only a thought as I may produce my own.

also is there any audio only Neocron ads?

cheers!

Scanner Darkly
28-07-06, 02:25
Hmm Metalangel (http://forum.neocron.com/member.php?u=9177)?

You are a winner! Yep that be the culprit.

cRazy-
28-07-06, 04:59
Ok guys I've been doing a little thinking and would like some inputs!

Firstly I have to make a choice what to do! I've looked at software like Shoutcast and Pirate radio, however there is one large drawback!

I have to use my computer to serve... this removes my ability to give you a decent station, firstly downloading of any form for myself would be difficult, as I will be uploading that is a problem for the constance of the stream!

also keeping my equipment on constantly poses a problem, as I work and have to sleep with my system in my bedroom. moving it to the lounge is not an option! my laptop is not powerful enough to do this iether!

I've been looking into live365.com.

so far its a cheap method to bring you a station! and I don't have to constantly be switched on!

Shoutcast is the only viable broadcasting option (alongside Icecast). Doing it on your own Computer could be okay, depending on your upload connection (I believe 512kbps to 1mbps will get you about 16/20 listeners at 64/96kbps, I doubt you'll get much more then that anyway looking at the state of Neocrons population).

Theres not really much point in broadcasting 24/7, people are much more interested in select shows at certain times with a lot more depth with a lot of entertainment.

If you have the money, try http://shoutcast.serverroom.us/

The service isnt 100% stable and you need to have a basic knowledge of Telnet to log into the Shell and execute various commands, but it'll get the job done. One downfall however is the limited Bandwidth, you'll have to find some formula's to calculate your average listener rate then work out the uptime you can get for your bandwidth then space it out, since running 24/7 will use it all up in a matter of days (broadcasting to 4,000 listeners constantly for a month at 96kbps uses up about 128,000,000 gigs of Bandwidth, as an example.

PS: Dont get caught broadcasting without a license, its (very ) unlikely you will be caught though. Licenses are very confusing and can cost Thousands of Pounds/Dollars a Year, good luck champ.

-Crazy the ex-radio station extraordinaire master of everything.

Apocalypsox
28-07-06, 07:17
-Crazy the ex-radio station extraordinaire master of everything.

If your the master of everything, why arent you the master of the Cron no morez??

Sorry if this sounds retarded or something, cause atm its midnight, i have a fucking sledgehammer headache and i majorly need to get my cron fix-

But the cron community can pump out more than 4 listeneres Crazy and you know it. If it exists, we will probly use it on a little bit more of a larger scale.

cRazy-
28-07-06, 13:53
But the cron community can pump out more than 4 listeneres Crazy and you know it. If it exists, we will probly use it on a little bit more of a larger scale.

I didn't say 4 listeners I said 16 to 20, maybe I should of used a Hyphen instead, whatever. But I can't remember Sinradio ever getting more then that (I think at one point they got 50 listeners but that was in the old days of a better Population).

crazybrit
25-08-14, 16:28
i would maybe to help a little i have used Shoutcast before

Drachenpaladin
25-08-14, 16:40
Holy postdate batman, this is some serious thread necro :rolleyes:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

phunqe
25-08-14, 19:25
Hehe SinRadio, they did live up to their name in the end didn't they :p

Memories though :)

Tino
25-08-14, 21:04
Neocron can barely get enough people playing to sustain the game...i don't think a radio station designed for nc would last very long. Just turn on your own music while leveling or playing. Waste of time imo.

NAPPER
26-08-14, 11:30
Neocron can barely get enough people playing to sustain the game...i don't think a radio station designed for nc would last very long. Just turn on your own music while leveling or playing. Waste of time imo.

Or Just Listen to Tino on TS very good entertainment

Aerocytes
26-08-14, 17:06
Here I was about to get excited and then I realize this shit is 8 years old.

How about we don't bump threads that have been dead for over a year? T_T

Trivaldi
26-08-14, 17:18
Continuing to post in them doesn't really help. Please don't bump long dead threads. If a new venture could come around from interested parties, of course feel free to create a new thread.

Thanks