PDA

View Full Version : AMD buys ATI O_O

Tratos
25-07-06, 00:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5210276.stm

Interesting change in events will make AMD/ATI combinations even better no doubt..

Pantho
25-07-06, 01:18
Very intresting :O

ZoVoS
25-07-06, 01:37
noooooooooooooooo

amd and nvidia forever *crys*

Cronite
25-07-06, 01:50
Heard of it, too. Damn, I'm using AMD and a GeForce card ... how disaccording is that? My favourit processor buys my old favourit graphik-card.

But I think we won't notice a great change or effect. We continuing buying AMD or Intel CPUs and ATI or Nvidia cards but I think after all it doesn't make a great difference.

SizZLeR
25-07-06, 02:11
Nice to see im not the only one here feeling weird about AMD bying ATI, I too always go for AMD cpu and nVidia GPU. ;)

Asurmen Spec Op
25-07-06, 02:15
amd and nvidia for assman too

IceStorm
25-07-06, 02:40
Charlie over at The Inquirer thinks this is being driven by rumors that Intel will be integrating the GPU into the CPU in about a year, and not for crappy integrated-style graphics, but a real gaming solution. AMD doesn't have the in-house resources to compete, so they need ATI's engineers to do the same.

Less rumor-based reasons for the merger are chipset, mobile sector access, and something to do with all that fab capacity they have coming online in the near future.

We'll see what happens.

Cronite
25-07-06, 02:45
amd and nvidia for assman too

so you're using amd and nvidia? ;p

Bishop Yutani
25-07-06, 02:51
i smell a new console.

-FN-
25-07-06, 02:53
Nice to see im not the only one here feeling weird about AMD bying ATI, I too always go for AMD cpu and nVidia GPU. ;)
Same here - you get a board with an nForce chipset... why would you buy an ATI card? :wtf: I guess Intel will have to buy nVidia to keep up now :rolleyes:

Cronite
25-07-06, 03:03
maybe the "playbox 460"?

I wouldn't wonder. But I think there ain't any room for a new console. But where is the bus :rolleyes:. I don't like consoles anyway =)

I guess Intel will have to buy nVidia to keep up now :rolleyes:

that would be very weird 8|

Dribble Joy
25-07-06, 03:04
ATI/AMD here, though my comps well old, and be years untill I get a new one.

IceStorm
25-07-06, 03:06
If the rumors are true, there's no reason for Intel to buy nVidia. They have the skillset necessary in-house to develop their own GPU technology and don't need nVidia's chipsets.

There's also that whole anti-trust thing.

Asurmen Spec Op
25-07-06, 03:16
so you're using amd and nvidia? ;p
Assman likes to refer to himself in the third person :O

CritiNator
25-07-06, 06:32
They planned it for long and now its done.

Intel wont use Crossfire ever, thats for sure now. AMD had to do something.. intels new processors wont leave anyone cold. Conroe.. But if someone is going to get burnt in this, its Amd/Ati, becouse, Conroe will be best processor out there for atleast 6 months and most likely over year and if ATI wont support it NVIDIA will and thats good for them :)

Either way, i would not buy ATI anyways ;)

ArcAngel_Slayer
25-07-06, 08:19
I'm not sure that was the best move they could of made.

Personally I don't fit Ati, don't recomend it to people iether. I've just had too many problems with the older cards, expecially the 9 series.

If I ever have a graphics problem in work its always with an Ati!

I Think the intergration of the cpu and gpu is just not an option for PC's, the problem you've got is that will limit the possibilties for the performance user.

The area where AMD will benifit is mobile technology...

Currently only the most exspensive Laptops can run any of the latest games and even then not very well.

My systems have always been Nforce and Geforce, now Ati is taken over AMD will make there newer range crossfire and Ati maniboard chipsets exclusive!

After all maniboard manufactures may have to tow the line when Nvidia refuse to make chipsets for AMD.

Arc

eprodigy
25-07-06, 09:38
amd/nvidia here too..

it could end up a bad thing for AMD.. if it makes intel and nvidia work closely together if not merge like amd/ati; could help give intel a bigger gaming market share, and some of intels new chips are looking good to gamers already.

but i dont really follow it much.. i just buy the one with the biggest number on the box that i can afford.

Cronite
25-07-06, 11:05
Assman likes to refer to himself in the third person :O

Than stop to refer if it's something bad :)

We know surely what is the best cpu and g-card ... wait...no, scheiße it ain't geforce >.< ... na ja, wayne anyway, I'm contented.

Scanner Darkly
25-07-06, 15:31
If it means less choice and hardware options/combinations for us, the end (power) user, then it can't be a good thing.

Just upgraded from Radeon to 6800GS and so far very happy with my first nVidia board in a long time.

I think this needs to be renamed "The future of pc gaming SPECULATION thread", as besides the ati amd merger we know nothing for sure, so don't get your knickers in a twist over rumours gents :)

SizZLeR
25-07-06, 18:15
AMD oughta shut down ATI, buy them out and buri them for good, then start to work together with nVidia instead.

However, i dunno whether it has changed yet, but i recall a couple of yrs back that XBOX turned to ATI instead of nVidia which they used before?

MS made a huge mistake there, cause i think it was when the 4th genration nVidia was out and just after that, when 5th genration hit the street, nVidia managed to get even with ATI, next they went 6th generation and took the lead.

But maybe AMD can benefit from some contract there?
Anyway, imo they shd break down ATI and start working with nVidia. :D

Scanner Darkly
27-07-06, 00:34
But maybe AMD can benefit from some contract there?
Anyway, imo they shd break down ATI and start working with nVidia. :D

That way nV have a monopoly which benefits everyone. Oh wait :confused:

CMaster
27-07-06, 00:39
Lol @ all the fanboys of one giant corporate out to take your money over another crying in this thread.

Scanner Darkly
27-07-06, 00:54
Good point Cmaster - fanboism is inevitable - but but but are you drunk?

Samhain
27-07-06, 05:53
You get an nVidia chipset motherboard and buy an ATi graphics card for the same reason that you don't mind that VIA handles certain components on your motherboard but you wouldn't dare let them be the southbridge/northbridge provider... because not all product types are equal from each vendor.

Zheo
27-07-06, 06:44
MY GOD it's the attack of the AMD users! I'm never EVER going to by an ATI graphics card now, not that I was before but now I defeinately wont!

Asurmen Spec Op
27-07-06, 07:12
I used ATI for a while. but Ive had alot better experiences with nividia

Apocalypsox
27-07-06, 08:04
Nvidia4twtbh