PDA

View Full Version : Free Broadband FOREVER??

Riddle
24-07-06, 10:35
Of late we are getting the market of broadband hotting up and competition going mad.

- Talk Talk Free Broadband Forever
- Orange Free Broadband phone deal
- and i think SKY have jumped on the bandwagon too.

On a side note i just got FREE broadband!! ;D from NTL would you believe!!

No, they don't offer it but i rang them and said i was going to dump them and go with someone else due to the broadband offers and hey presto!

"Don't do that sir, you have all your services with us so here have FREE broadband forever!"

Worth the 5 min phonecall tbh and proves the age old adage ....."If you don't ask, you don't get !"

Skusty
24-07-06, 10:42
lol.

My broadband costs 140SEK and i got 10mbit Fibre. :p

Spermy
24-07-06, 11:06
had to settle for BT service. Because of where I am. basically the house i live in, and next door are situated at the centre of a circle, divide the circle into three slices and put us at the nexus.

We've been assigned one postcode area, the other houses on the left have a different one, and the ones on the right another one still!

we're on the same road, but ntl can't offer us a service that next door but one can recieve purely because we're in one area, by a technicality!

Bollocks to that I say!

So no NTL phone, net or telly, which would have been cheaper.

Fucking technicalities. :rolleyes:

Riddle
24-07-06, 11:07
had to settle for BT service. Because of where I am. basically the house i live in, and next door are situated at the centre of a circle, divide the circle into three slices and put us at the nexus.

We've been assigned one postcode area, the other houses on the left have a different one, and the ones on the right another one still!

we're on the same road, but ntl can't offer us a service that next door but one can recieve purely because we're in one area, by a technicality!

Bollocks to that I say!

So no NTL phone, net or telly, which would have been cheaper.

Fucking technicalities. :rolleyes:

Dam man you should go next door but one and half pay for bloody wireless and leech :p or just leech :cool:

ArcAngel_Slayer
24-07-06, 21:38
I'm with Nildram

Pretty good... 24/7 tecsupport

8mbit line 50gig peak limit Unlimited offpeak

But I pay £25.99

The only problem with the more free ones is that they can:

Limit Speed

Download Cap

Contention Rate

And other assorted nasties! one trick recently is adding a P2P fileshare download limit

The more you download in a month the slower your connection goes while downloading via Peer 2 Peer.

My mates Cap was 15gig and he got booted down to 56k!!!

but he had a 40gig download limit so he couldn't download but he could surf like lightning!

Always read the small print!!!

Arc

Dribble Joy
24-07-06, 22:06
DL cap = baaaaad.

Thing about BB is that they can't allways give you what they say they can. Wanadoo got busted big time for offering 8meg services to people who's lines could only reach 4 or 5.

I'm on Pipex 'Max' which is essentially, 'As fast as your line will go'. Though they don't put their own equipment in (like bulldog) so it's only about 5-7.

Which is plenty really. DL stuff faster than I can watch it :p.

StevenJ
24-07-06, 22:09
"Don't do that sir, you have all your services with us so here have FREE broadband forever!"

Worth the 5 min phonecall tbh and proves the age old adage ....."If you don't ask, you don't get !"

Awww, damn! I just asked them for a free upgrade to 4MB and thought I did well getting that. Haven't checked, but I'm sure that's another 12 months I have handcuffs on.

ArcAngel_Slayer
24-07-06, 22:55
Nildram is acctually a pipex company, I max out at 6meg but I pay for 8meg the only reason I get 6 is because of my area.

Nildram were great plus I don't have a contract which means if I cancel I don't get a cancalation fee!

Arc

Riddle
25-07-06, 09:34
Well its no Big connection only 2mb but i have no limit or secret caps so far.... :D

Tratos
25-07-06, 11:26
Nildram is acctually a pipex company, I max out at 6meg but I pay for 8meg the only reason I get 6 is because of my area.

Nildram were great plus I don't have a contract which means if I cancel I don't get a cancalation fee!

Arc
:( I was getting 3.5meg on the up to 8meg service but for some reason that's hit 1.5meg :/ ive had BT out who replaced the juntion box outside my house and endless line tests and it wont budge O_o

EDIT: By a strikingly brilliant coincidence The Hoff is now in the adverts for Pipex and is kind of the internet :p http://www.pipex.com/

Riddle
25-07-06, 13:02
:( I was getting 3.5meg on the up to 8meg service but for some reason that's hit 1.5meg :/ ive had BT out who replaced the juntion box outside my house and endless line tests and it wont budge O_o

EDIT: By a strikingly brilliant coincidence The Hoff is now in the adverts for Pipex and is kind of the internet :p http://www.pipex.com/

Homage to the Hoff...bow down in the face of tan man :D

Scanner Darkly
25-07-06, 15:37
Just out of interest, what kind of bandwidth limit comes with these free broadband packages?

Riddle
25-07-06, 16:40
Just out of interest, what kind of bandwidth limit comes with these free broadband packages?

Got no idea suggest you try this ingenious device click me (www.google.com) don't click if you don't have a sense of humour :p

My real point was that whatever the offer about they are increasing across the various competitors which is all the better for us consumers.

I had a non limitited 2-3Meg connection paying over £20 a month for, now i pay nadda due to a five min phonecall and the threat of swopping to one of these various deals ;)

unreal
25-07-06, 17:22
lmfao @ The Hoff.

Nice one Riddle. Lately during the random early hours I've noticed a (repeated) series on BBC1 at about 3am or so called "Don't get done, Get Dom". It's got that bald guy who used to be a second hand car salesman (aka Dominic something) showing people how to haggle down prices of things they're wanting to buy, typically being a cheeky bar steward in the process. It works though.

In the episode I watched the other day, this bloke was wanting to buy a new 40" (or possibly 42") Plasma TV screen that was HD ready. First Dominic went to one shop, stood there trying to get the price down on a 38" TV, then after he got about £200 off the retail price (which was £1400 or so), he went one step further to ask for an "extra", in this case a TV wall bracket to put the TV on (worth about £100 or so), they were like "deal".

Then he went to another shop, and did a bit of bullshitting with the other shopkeepers and their manager. After getting the price down on a larger 42" TV (retailed at about £1550) by about £300, he said he'd got a better offer up the road, and could he knock another 50 quid off. Then like in the other shop, he managed to scrounge a TV wall bracket off them (this time worth more than the other one, because it's a few inches bigger).

At the end of the day, businesses are wanting to sell their products, and even thought you're basically making them lose some potential profit, they'll still agree with it. They're still doing business.

Of course, he was offering cash in hand to make the deal more appealing. In the series he's applied the same thing to buying cars, wedding dresses, kitchens, minibuses, and all sorts of stuff. Not bad really.
Just out of interest, what kind of bandwidth limit comes with these free broadband packages?Horrible ones mostly. The "FREE" or extremely cheap services usually entail the worst of their packages, most often than not, entailing the lowest monthly bandwidth allowance and contention ratio. As a quick example, Pipex's cheapest package has a monthly allowance of 2gb. You'll generally have to pay about 60% more for an allowance and contention ratio that's actually worth having. Unless you're able to do what Riddle has done that is. :p

CMaster
25-07-06, 20:00
I'd be happy for broadband I could pay for right now. GRRRR.
As an aside - Orange has a 2GB traffic limit. Its no big deal provided you don't do any torrenting. If you do, then well - thats blown through in a couple of days I guess.
Traffic is a big issue these days. At my mothers house where it was "homecall" ADSL (moved now, and having all sortsw of hastle getting new BB) in the 6-9pm it was unusable - web browsing was slugginsh but possible. Vent and gaming was laggy as hell however.

Scanner Darkly
25-07-06, 21:32
Got no idea suggest you try this ingenious device click me (www.google.com) don't click if you don't have a sense of humour :p

OMG I've been owned by the Internet!

http://hellcanwait.com/neocron/owned.jpg

Scanner Darkly
25-07-06, 21:36
I'd be happy for broadband I could pay for right now. GRRRR.
As an aside - Orange has a 2GB traffic limit. Its no big deal provided you don't do any torrenting. If you do, then well - thats blown through in a couple of days I guess.
Traffic is a big issue these days. At my mothers house where it was "homecall" ADSL (moved now, and having all sortsw of hastle getting new BB) in the 6-9pm it was unusable - web browsing was slugginsh but possible. Vent and gaming was laggy as hell however.

I think I'm going to move back to Blueyonder (now that I'm back in their catchment area) - they're not cheap, but 4Mbit with no bandwidth caps or traffic shaping and 384k upsteam is just dandy.