PDA

View Full Version : [OT]New Monitor(s)

Tratos
23-07-06, 17:38
A month or so ago my main 17" CRT monitor bit the dust (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=134351&highlight=knackered+monitor) leaving me to use a 15" CRT monitor which goes green every 5 minutes for my main machine and my TV in black and white for the secondary box which is a pain in the arse but i've been skint but live with it.

However! It's my birthday on Wednesday and i'll be getting some cash from that so i need to consider what im going to buy that i need and at the moment that seems like a couple new displays for my computers.

I'm odd with TFT's but i think i'll be going that root as they're a hell of alot smaller for my limited desk space and are generally alot more stylish aswell as more portable. I'm looking for two 17" TFTs or if it's within budget a couple of 19" TFTs as bigger screens win! Any recommendations on makes and models are much welcome as i dont really know what im looking for except a short latency but even then i dont know what sort of target i should be going for. If it helps i play FPSs and RTSs alot and also do graphic and web design on both machines so things need to be rather crisp, eye friendly and getting to me pretty sharpish.

So for the boffins out there what sort of price range should i be looking for (i.e. what prices are rip offs)? Who are the best online stores for such things (Im in the UK) coupled with prices for different makes etc? I'm looking to hopefully spend no more than around £110 to £140 at a push on each display. If i can get some direct links to monitors of good prices and quality i'll be very greatful.

CMaster
23-07-06, 17:49
I'm not really up to spec with what is good at the moment, but I will say, if its at all possible try and find somewhere you can see the respective monitors in action at their native resolutions. You'd be suprised how much they differ in colour quality, ghosting and more - and that doesn't always actually correspond to the stated numbers (for example, my monitor has a quoted 25ms response time, but I can barley notice lag - theres a spot if I put something on fast and watch really closeley - but I've seen quoted 16ms with really obvious lag). The one thing I would say is DVI = the win. Its a different connection kind - your graphics card probably has DVI outputs. It provides a clearer image in theory, with less intereference. In practice it stops you having to hit an autosetup button all the while to fix image alignment and blur-stripes you get with VGA cables. The downside of this is that Customs and Excise are stupid. What do HM C&E have to do with it you ask? Well, because some TVs (presumably HDTVs? I don't know) have DVI connectors, they consider any display with a DVI port to be a television and hence levy additional duties on it. Even though theres no tuner... Go figure.

Tratos
23-07-06, 17:55
This has been pointed out by somone from weebls-stuff
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?&Quicklinx=43WB&v=3&PageOffset=0&RecordOffset=10&%20#Paging
And from reading the first two pages of reviews it sounds like an excellent monitor bar the sound quality for the speakers but i have external speakers anyway for the main machine so im sure the monitor speakers will be fine for my second system as i dont pump much noise out of it anyway.

CMaster
23-07-06, 17:59
Solid reviews, good size, DVI connection and VERY cheap. Are you sure this is Dabs?!

Tratos
23-07-06, 18:01
Solid reviews, good size, DVI connection and VERY cheap. Are you sure this is Dabs?!
That's what suprised me too, dosnt come with DVI cables but the small box doesnt have a DVI graphics card so thats no problem and the DVI lead is only about £3! Think i may get myself two of these.

EDIT: All of 3 bad reviews in about 45!

SizZLeR
25-07-06, 18:23
Only one prob with TFT imo, the resolutions suck, theyre all 1280x1024 and cant imagine going less than 16x12, for some games 12x10 might be ok, but fir programs like i use Cubase VST/32 and using mixer panels, softsynths and shit like that, wouw id run outta screen space in no time in 12x10 even now when im running 16x12 i need more space, but my eyes have their limitations too, and i need to move real close to my 17" crt to see properly in 19x14... :(

So i aint up for TFT before they make a $350 one that goes at least 16x12. ;)

Tratos
25-07-06, 19:32
Only one prob with TFT imo, the resolutions suck, theyre all 1280x1024 and cant imagine going less than 16x12, for some games 12x10 might be ok, but fir programs like i use Cubase VST/32 and using mixer panels, softsynths and shit like that, wouw id run outta screen space in no time in 12x10 even now when im running 16x12 i need more space, but my eyes have their limitations too, and i need to move real close to my 17" crt to see properly in 19x14... :(

Well i currently use 1024x768 so i think im alright ;) lol

Got myself two of those and the DVI cables to go with them so if i want i can run dual monitor on the main machine :D They should arrive tommorow.

CMaster
25-07-06, 19:57

Thats why you get two of them - awesome for workspace in apps like that. Either that or one of the widescreens.

SizZLeR
25-07-06, 22:43
Thats why you get two of them - awesome for workspace in apps like that. Either that or one of the widescreens.
True u can always place two next to each other and use two screens, but yet the height is only 1024.... hmmm i recall that Dell delivered laptops which easily took a res of 16x12, why the heck cant we have TFT screens that takes that res? :)

Tratos
26-07-06, 19:44
HOLY MOTHER OF JEBUS

Going from a 15" monitor to a 19" is like being at the cinema O_O as it was said in the reviews, the speakers are rather pants but for quiet listening they aint that bad.

Scanner Darkly
26-07-06, 22:26
Heh, glad you like your new TFT. Gotta say if it's half decent, then that's one hell of a bargain for a 19" TFT.

I've been considering this dapper little widescreen TFT

Viewsonic VX2235wm 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black (MO-060-VS)

The new Viewsonic VX2335wm is an ideal size at 22" as its ideal for those who find 20" too small but 24" to large and expensive. This panel is ideal for gamers and home cinema use due to its true 16.7m colour display and rapid 5ms response time,

- 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA) Optimum Resolution
- 16.7 Million Colours
- 700:1 Contrast Ratio
- 5ms Response Time
- 300 cd/m2 Brightness
- One Analogue Input
- One DVI Input
- Built-In Rear Speakers
- VESA mounting compatible

at £350 inc VAT it seems pretty reasonable, when compared with the likes of the Dell FPW2407 that weighs in over double the price for a couple more inches of screen real estate.

Tratos
27-07-06, 15:48
That sounds like a beast of a display.

The weirdest thing about going to this screen and its maximum resolution is the websites look so different, lol

Zheo
27-07-06, 23:32
don't buy form dabs, by from www.insight.com (chosing your country of course) and secondly my advice is to get a samsung, they are pretty good never had any real problems with mine, they use little power and are basically just better, and also 19" wont make that much difference in gaming, I can't remember how it was explained but I was told their is little point going over 17"

Tratos
28-07-06, 00:04
don't buy form dabs, by from www.insight.com (http://www.insight.com) (chosing your country of course) and secondly my advice is to get a samsung, they are pretty good never had any real problems with mine, they use little power and are basically just better, and also 19" wont make that much difference in gaming, I can't remember how it was explained but I was told their is little point going over 17"
Congratulations on reading the thread ;)

I've already bought my monitors :p dabs may be a little more expensive than most but i've never had a problem with them.

fschepper
28-07-06, 00:05
http://www.l-computer.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm

;)

Scanner Darkly
28-07-06, 02:06
http://www.l-computer.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm

;)

Oh my, MS Flight Simulator will never look the same :lol:

Actually I would kill for that dual monitor, or maybe the tripple.

edit: shame their store is broken, or I'm too retarded to get it to show me any prices.