PDA

View Full Version : Hotboxing! (OT)

Spermy
21-07-06, 12:30
Not the illegal kind you schmucks!

bleh, the room my comp is in is a bit of a hotbox. I've never had issues with shutdowns to due to heat, untl i moved into this house, it's an attic room, so the windows tiny, and airflow sucks, what with thetemperatures this week, my comp has shut off no less than 6 times a flippin' day!

I'm looking for a cheap, reliable watercooling system, that doesn't involve

A) putting my comp in the fridge
B) Ice cubes
C) Boobies

Any recomendations?

silent000
21-07-06, 12:39
Boobies are cheap and reliable, whats your problem :P

ZoVoS
21-07-06, 12:54
just do what i do... fuck water cooling. take a house fan point it at the side of your pc rip the side pannel of and it works fine

Spermy
21-07-06, 13:04
just do what i do... fuck water cooling. take a house fan point it at the side of your pc rip the side pannel of and it works fine

Done it - both panels off meaty fans installed in front and rear of case, and a sexy cpu fan plus all the other little uns. The fans are simply pullng more hot air over an already hot system dude.

ZoVoS
21-07-06, 13:12
Done it - both panels off meaty fans installed in front and rear of case, and a sexy cpu fan plus all the other little uns. The fans are simply pullng more hot air over an already hot system dude.

omg how hot is it there... your system can run at like 70+ degs if your house is that hot ur clinicaly DEAD lol

my room is at a stupidly high temperature but my housefan is HUGE and is bigger than the side of my computer =] it keeps everything nice n circulated

Spermy
21-07-06, 13:38
omg how hot is it there... your system can run at like 70+ degs if your house is that hot ur clinicaly DEAD lol

my room is at a stupidly high temperature but my housefan is HUGE and is bigger than the side of my computer =] it keeps everything nice n circulated

I've set my cutoff at 65. the hot air just tips it, because the system generates it's own heat too. Ambient temperature the other day was 36C. Scorching!

Factor in humidity too, and that makes for excellent heat transmission, but shit disspation in a poorly ventilated room.

By the way. that is a big assed housefan :p careful you don't lose an arm!

I think it's about time i got watercooling anyhow. I'm going to be upgrading my computer to beastly proportions soon.

Tratos
21-07-06, 13:39
Get a mini fridge/chiller and stick the office fan infront of that blowing the cold fridge air into your PC :p

Possibly the most energy inefficient way of doing it, lol

Spermy
21-07-06, 13:43
Get a mini fridge/chiller and stick the office fan infront of that blowing the cold fridge air into your PC :p

Possibly the most energy inefficient way of doing it, lol

Pfft - my girfriend would kill me when the electricity bill came in! I'm already getting nagged for leaving the kitchen light on. I'm paying rent and taxes yet i still feel like i'm 12 again! :p

Jodo
21-07-06, 14:51
Move out. Attic space is not for computers, especially in the summer.
I know a solicitors who kept their server in their 4th floor attic. It traps heat and, as we all know, heat rises. RIP that server. 8| A knew location or a huge air con system poking out the roof is best. Especially as tempretures seem to be growing every year. Winter lasted for less than a week in the UK last season. Air con will become standard fitting in new homes the way central heating did at this rate.

Spermy
21-07-06, 15:01
Move out. Attic space is not for computers, especially in the summer.
I know a solicitors who kept their server in their 4th floor attic. It traps heat and, as we all know, heat rises. RIP that server. 8| A knew location or a huge air con system poking out the roof is best. Especially as tempretures seem to be growing every year. Winter lasted for less than a week in the UK last season. Air con will become standard fitting in new homes the way central heating did at this rate.

Just moved in :p The house is a 5 person shared tennancy - the attc is my room, so i'm pretty much buggerated!

Will watercooling make any difference under these circumstances, or shall i just petition for [planning permission to remove the roof? :p

Jodo
21-07-06, 15:11
I suppose that would depend on how well the water cooler would work in the increasing tempretures. Attic space will easily top any other temp in the country I'm afraid. Roof removal sounds good although the top of your head may disagree. I missed this years expo in Birmingham but last years had some very good systems and they can only have improved.
I do think taking measures to climate control the room would be the best step though. That will sort any long term temp increase and happily keep you chilled as well. You can often get some decently priced second hand units but its still a bit pricey. They don't have to stick out the side of your house either. I know a company that has a server room with no outside walls and their system just regulates the temp.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Conditioning-unit-excellent-condition-hardly-used_W0QQitemZ250010370814QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20711QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This sort of thing would be good, though it would be worth finding the model name and researching that in google.

Dribble Joy
21-07-06, 18:30
I just took the side panel off my comp and sat a 12" fan pointing at the exposed gubbins.

Working fine. Though my USB mouse seems to be dead....

Tratos
21-07-06, 19:52
I dont know wether my power supply is going to fall over or its just having a hard time with the heat as when i tried to use my PC extensivly with the DVD drive it had a nice reboot on the house, i didnt even ask for it - how nice!

Dont supposed anyone wants to buy me a new machine complete with accessories and essential kit youknow monitor, mouse, keyboard and such gubbins? even my main machine is a hobbling pile these days.

Hell-demon
21-07-06, 20:09
Your mom's got a "hot box" Spermy....

OOOHHHHH BURN!!!!!

yeah just use cooking oil for your computer rather than water cooling. Seriously, it works. I saw on the internet somewhere :)

Bishop Yutani
21-07-06, 20:27
Observations:

1) Are you using thermal paste? It conducts the heat more efficiently to the heatsink and fans. If you dont have it between your CPU and heatsink, get some.

2) Having a fan blowing on your computer will blow all sorts of dust into your machine. You'll find your fans have hair wrapped around them very quickly, especially if you have a pet. (or are a hairy bastard)

3) VENT THE ATTIC. During the day, you want to blow the hot air out. Put a box fan, like the one Dribble is talking about and put it on your window-sill. Close the window on the fan to hold it in place. Make sure the fan is blowing outside. The air will get sucked out of your room, which will pull cooler air from other rooms, like downstairs. Make sure you dont have any other windows open, or the fan will just be pulling the hot air in from the other window.

At night, IF it gets cooler than your room outside, turn the fan around and suck the cold air from outside into your room.

Presto. Now your whole room is cool instead of just the computer.

Mr Kot
21-07-06, 21:35
Air con is your friend ;)

As i'm typing this now, i got a little unit in the corner of the room that is refrigerating the air and blowing the hot moisture out of a hose thru the window. It only uses 950W of power, so it costs slightly less to run than a one bar heater.

My CPU seems to run at a constant 54°C so if yours is pretty meaty, taking the panel off the case will do the trick.

As for nagging girlfriends... we all know the answer to that one, don't we? :angel:

Asurmen Spec Op
21-07-06, 21:37
My ambient temp is usually 36ish...

yuuki
21-07-06, 21:55
a first step u can try (that costs nothing) is to undervolt your computer. just lower vcore in your bios in increments of around 0.025 volts and run a stress test to see if it's still working correctly, then continue (unlike ocing the cpu nothing can be damaged here :D ). this way you can decrease the cpu temperature by up to 10° C roughly.

personnaly i'm using the aucma coolriver, cooling cpu,gpu and northbridge. that one i can highly recommend as it's cheap (less than 100 euro), comes put together completely (u just have to mount the copper thingies on the processor thingies, so nothing one can do wrong :p ) and cools my ath64 3000+ to 48° at 33° ambience (under load). downpoint is i don't know if it's still produced :(

Heavyporker
21-07-06, 22:11
Why don't you just blow on the computer?

*coughs*

Dribble Joy
21-07-06, 22:11
As for nagging girlfriends... we all know the answer to that one, don't we? :angel:
Brick in a sock swung at high speed while on a walk down a remote piece of coastline?

Lexxuk
22-07-06, 01:37
You say you have a couple of "beefy" fans, but are the set right? If you have fans just set willy nilly you could end up with no good airflow which heats up your system.

What you are looking for is a good airflow around your system. Change your IDE cables to thin types (improves airflow), make sure your fans are not just circulating the airflow around the insides of the box keeping your CPU warmer than it should be.

If all else fails, try one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=search&ModuleNo=31253&criteria=) it should, in theory, suck the warm air out and throw it out the back of your PC.

But yeah, airflow itself is important. My heat from my PC heats my room up from 24 degrees to 26, and even got upto 28 during this heatwave (yeah, living next to the Atlanic sucks, we get these cool ocean breezes :p), but my CPU is running at a cool 36 degrees (AMD64 3000+)

Scanner Darkly
22-07-06, 20:44
Can you post some pics of your hot box (hrhr) so we can help you better

edit: removed shitty joke to enhance your viewing pleasure

Mr Kot
22-07-06, 21:00
Brick in a sock swung at high speed while on a walk down a remote piece of coastline?You old romantic, you :p

nobby
24-07-06, 04:26
Pfft - my girfriend would kill me when the electricity bill came in! I'm already getting nagged for leaving the kitchen light on. I'm paying rent and taxes yet i still feel like i'm 12 again! :p

Your Kitchen light is merely only costing you 9p an hour.

Pantho
24-07-06, 05:07
Hows that work with Watts, Bulb types. Energy saving bulbs...

could be from 1p to 50p with varience's

Spermy
24-07-06, 11:13
Thernal paste has helped a bit - noticable drop.

As for the fans, yep, set with airflow in mind. The weathers laid off a little now, so it's no longer scorching.

Unlike my skin. Behold! Lobster boy!

<_<

yavimaya
24-07-06, 11:18
Is it a pitched roof or do you have a flat ceiling inbetween?
If its pitched, put in one of those spinny things that allow hot air out before buying anything else! you might want to rig something up so you can block it off for winter though.