PDA

View Full Version : Went under El Farid last night

Bishop Yutani
17-07-06, 17:19
Looking to max out my XP when i grind, i went to El Farid to see what everyone is talking about. I found an interesting place with 50/50 scorpions in it, but eventually got killed by a 100/100 ?grand? scorpion.

What else is down there? It was kinda fun squashing bugs, but I eventually just got overwhelmed. Are there good toys to be had further down there?

Napalm82
17-07-06, 17:24
Down in lvl 2 of that "dungeon" there's a queen which when killed drops a Fire armour (Cant remember the name) that armour is drop-only so it cant be BP'ed or the like.

There are plenty of theese kinda items around in the game, some better than others but still quite fun to get your hands on, my favorite is battling your way down the Gaia Mines to get the S.T.O.R.M Laser Cannon.

- Nap

NAPPER
17-07-06, 17:32
Down in lvl 2 of that "dungeon" there's a queen which when killed drops a Fire armour (Cant remember the name) that armour is drop-only so it cant be BP'ed or the like.

titan armor and somtimes rares and psi spells that are all shite

Bishop Yutani
17-07-06, 17:52
cool. Titan armour isnt much of a use to me, but its good to know there are more places like that out there.

NAPPER
17-07-06, 17:58
You been to the viper graves can’t remember what sector it’s in that one drops a viper chest gives plus to poison but if you go here you need good poison resists

Safunte
17-07-06, 18:16
you dont need good poison resists... runspeed and aoe do just fine

Pantho
17-07-06, 18:21
Green Dragona

canuma100
17-07-06, 18:34
its the best way too lvl a tank.

TL3 uranium nadeluncher FTW

Bishop Yutani
17-07-06, 18:42
how about for a crappy pistol spy? :D

SorkZmok
17-07-06, 18:46
how about for a crappy pistol spy? :D
For spy leveling i advise the gravis swamp cave, it's a bit northwest from the uplink near a lake.

You need some por resists, then just stay in the water and keep moving and it's easy. Lvl 70 to 100 with a 120 boss that drops rares, poison spells and rare drugs (krinak strength/psi drugs).
He is hard though, 3 stacks will take out pretty much everyone if you ain't got a PPU.

John Bushido
17-07-06, 19:01
yeah, lvling el farid with ur tank and a grenade launcher rocks....

btw Kid: i know ur sexy n stuff, but theres al lot of ppl out there who dont want to be like u, i mean, theres nothing worst on u (except that little plushbunny & handcuff episod u told me) but can u pls remove that sig and replace it for another one that is more truthfully, kthxby :D

Safunte
17-07-06, 19:35
...replace it for another one that is more truthfully, kthxby :D

yeah i agree, its total bullshit,

remove the "to be"

Nidhogg
17-07-06, 19:36
Signatures are not the topic of this thread. Please stay on topic.

N

unreal
17-07-06, 19:50
If you're able to kill Warbots up close quite well as a Spy, I would advise going to the Chaos Caves instead with an xray modded weapon. Take a bunch of Green Dragon, and gear up with battle armour or inq armour if you can wear it (the Chaos Queen does fire damage, the other mobs do a bit of force/piercing I think, but mostly poison). Might be worth changing your Constitution around a bit though, giving yourself extra body health thanks to the huge decrease of that skill courtesy of Green Draon. :) Most Chaos Caves are usually busy at most times of the day too so you'll probably get PPU assistance.

You'll rake in the cash, get lots of experience, and get quite a lot of trophies too. Not forgetting you'll get free medkits off the corpses, which helps you save a bit more cash. If you want to check the trophies I got from levelling my Spy from 100 dext to WOC dex 1 in the Chaos Caves, go to Plaza 1 (Archer and Wesson apartment entrance, not up the gravlifts) and type in unrael as the password. ;)

For spy leveling i advise the gravis swamp cave.
Swamp Caves are just awful to say the least. You can get stuck in the doors, which means you can die quite easily if that happens. It's dark, some of those mobs move around a lot more which means you have to put more effort in, and last but not least, there are better places to level, such as the Chaos Caves. ;) The only good thing about killing the shaman is to get the kri`nakh drugs, but who uses those anyway?

NAPPER
17-07-06, 20:16
Swamp Caves are just awful to say the least. You can get stuck in the doors, which means you can die quite easily if that happens. It's dark, some of those mobs move around a lot more which means you have to put more effort in, and last but not least, there are better places to level, such as the Chaos Caves. ;) The only good thing about killing the shaman is to get the kri`nakh drugs, but who uses those anyway?

yes but you can cap a spy or a pe very easy down there

unreal
17-07-06, 20:23
It's even easier in the Chaos Caves. As I mentioned you don't have to put in as much effort as the Swamp Caves, because the mobs don't move around as much, which means you can watch TV while shooting them. The time will pass quicker. And you'll get lots of trophies at the same time.

Bishop Yutani
17-07-06, 20:33
yeah i was in a swamp cave once - i believe it was on the way to regants fortress. Got MURDERED down there right quick.

But that was quite a while ago. I'll buy a POR belt and give it a shot.

Although i'm only a /48 or something, so I think i would get owned against most things in the swamps and chaos caves. Which is why i dug El Farid, at least most things down there were /50. (which sure beats killing launcher cyclops at MB for the 900th time)

I think i saw an entrance to the chaos caves by the Canyon Reloading Point, where i spent some time peek-a-boo'ing reapers. :rolleyes:

oh wait, question. The reason i'm looking for better hunting spots is because i read somewhere that your XP gain maxes out killing either +10 or +20 your rank. True? or does the XP gain go up with the mob level infinitely?

Darkana
18-07-06, 11:42
Although I never have really measured it, there is some kind of XP cap in the game, means if you kill way too high mobs for your level you actually level slower than with lower level mobs. To say it again: I never measured it, but that's what it felt like to me.

Leveling places:

Swamp caves: You have 6 swamp caves, they are good for characters who don't have access to higher TL AoE damage, namely pistol and rifle users. Some caves are bugged (the water is shown but doesn't do anything), skip these. Like Kid Kapow said already, a number of caves have a shaman in them, who deals considerably more damage than the other mobs and can be a killer if you are not careful. Being very close to him he will start spawning mobs on top of attacking you with his poison beam which leaves a strong poison stack on you. If you just want to level I would suggest the Jankins cave, it does have working water (you should stay in the water to receive less poison stacks compared to being on the walkway) and no shaman you can accidently run into.

As has been said, poison resist is a must, and be careful of the flappers biting you, that can hurt a lot, too. Unreal mentioned bugged doors, this means if you stand at the place where the door is and it starts closing itself, you get stuck in the door. Sometimes you have the chance to free yourself, but most often you have to rely on the reset_pos command to get free again (if someone else is around, they can open the door for you then). If you watch it, this won't happen, though; usually players get stuck if they are in a team down there and try to slip through the still open door but are too slow ...

The Grave: Located in K_13, this place is rather close to DoY but shouldn't be a problem to reach (anymore) for non-DoY chars. It's filled with poisonous snakes who like to you bite a chunk out of you in melee range. It's usually frequented by droners because you have a number of rooms with columns at the sides you can hide behind. Boss is the 120/120 Bloodviper King, dropping the Viper King armor; the poison stack can be compared to what a shaman in a swamp cave releases on you. As there is no water (except for one fountain) it's harder to avoid poison stacks; having a PPU around can be helpful there.

Gaya mine: (actually I dunno if it is Gaia or Gaya, different sources even ingame refer to one or the other) Now filled with bots this can be a nice leveling place. However, I never tried it, yet, so I cannot say much about the XP income and the difficulty. Many of the bots seem to be gathered in clusters (maybe due to the runners having to fulfill a mission goal there), which seems to favor AoE damage *shrug* Boss mob 120/120 Malfunction STORM unit dropping the STORM Laser, soloable, but you have to be careful about receiving damage, the delayed damage calc results from the server side can make your health jump a lot there. Hacker required to open the bots.

Worm tunnels: I actually never tried to level in any of these as the mob concentration was never high enough to make it viable. The cave with the boss mob north of Tescom has a couple more in it, but usually players only hit it to loot the boss for the Energy Soulblade. This cave is very dangerous, it's the place where I saw the most belts lying around in one place :p

Chaos caves: THE leveling place, but only effective if you either have decent firepower (= multiple players with single target weapons) or AoE weapons handy; otherwise it may take ages to proceed in the cave. The mobs deal a lot of direct poison damage, bite and stack poison in melee combat. Can be soloed, PPUs can easen the task a great deal in there, though. 2 of these 3 chaos caves have a 120/120 Chaosqueen boss dropping the Flameavalanche psi module. She throws with fireballs which can ignite and burn you down to a pile of ash easily.

Regants Legacy: Although kinda new to me this seems like a decent leveling spot as well; players seem to gather up all the mobs and waste them at specific locations with AoE damage. Didn't try it on my own, but with a PPU around the damage was rather low compared to other caves, at least as far as we have proceeded into the dungeon (i.e. in the Chaos caves you can die easily even with a PPU around). Mutants, so don't try to use your xray/gamma weapons there.

Ceres Laboratories: Filled with very high level mobs exclusively, this can be good for leveling, but is pretty dangerous. Single and AoE damage depending on the location inside the dungeon. PPUs are required. The Prototypes have a chance of dropping one of these fabled WoC disks. Energy and Xray damage as it seems, and a lot of it. Hacker required to open the corpses.

Juggernaut Facility: I dunno if this is good for leveling, however fighting these oversized warbots on steroids is pretty fun. You will face groups of them clustered together, single and AoE damage are both helpful (although I think single target weapons are in overall handier there). The 120ish bots drop parts which are used for the Xbow quest. Hacker required to open the bots and to enter the facility.

DoY tunnels: A number of tunnels partially connected with each other, 3 levels with different difficulty (80/80, 100/100 and 120/120), in the lowest level you can obtain ultima mods and parts for the DoY eye implants (dunno if things for the latter one drop on other levels, too). Tons of Xray and energy damage, there are bugged(?) mobs in the lowest level which can tear up fully buffed PPUs easily. Some do solo in there, although I would suggest you get a team, especially for the lower levels with the higher level mobs. Maybe have someone in the team who doesn't get confused in labyrinths ;) Hacker required to open the bot corpses.

MC5 facility: This place is very hard, but it's the only place where you get the rare techs for the MC5 brain chips (dropped by the Base Commander). Requires a PPU; best combination is H-C tank + PPU, but I have seen other combinations and even bigger teams hitting it. Droners can be encountered there soloing, but to me it has the smell of a bugged game rather than the ability to solo in there. The XP you get in there is decent, I capped my PPU while getting MC5 parts (was close to the XP you get from a good Chaos cave run, but in way less time). Energy and xray damage, AoE weapons are a must.

Wastelands: Too many spots to name, but there are a couple good hunting areas with high(er) level mobs to kill. Three star mobs can drop rare techs.

There are more dungeons, e.g. the storages where the high level mutants including the Doom Harbinger hide, but the amount of mobs in there doesn't make them good for leveling. The Doom Harbinger is one of the nastiest mobs in the game. Secondly, even though some team and weapon combinations are most effective, it doesn't mean everything else is totally useless. Players who know what they are doing can pull interesting stunts with weird teams or solo, however some of the accomplishments are only possible by using "features" of the game ... :rolleyes:

Bishop Yutani
18-07-06, 13:58
nice little guide you put together. I've bookmarked your post for reference. Thanks!

unreal
18-07-06, 14:48
The reason i'm looking for better hunting spots is because i read somewhere that your XP gain maxes out killing either +10 or +20 your rank. True? or does the XP gain go up with the mob level infinitely?Yeah, that's why you don't see people levelling to 100 dext off Aggressor Captains. ;) The thing that makes all the difference is being able to kill those mobs effectively. That's why I always prefer the Chaos Caves (or El Farid if you're lower level) to anywhere else. You have 100/100 mobs, possibly 110/110 ones as well, that keep spawning the 70/70 and 80/80 mobs.

You could get a few million exp just by sitting there farming the same group over and over, but eventually the ones that spawn babies will die, and you'll have to progress a bit further into the cave, and do the same to the next group. In a single cave run, if you're doing it completely by yourself, the amount of time you take killing the mobs spawned first means more will be spawned by the time you're done, and by the end of it all, you'll get an insane amount of exp and a mental amount of Chaos Creeper trophies, and possibly a couple Lieutenant ones.