PDA

View Full Version : [OT] A watercooling question

Asurmen Spec Op
15-07-06, 09:46
Yarg, its the neighbourhood assman.
Now, Ive been thinking of going for water cooling for my system, due to the whole I live in a desert thing I cant really touch my voltage (with 6 case fans the ambient temp in there in 38C.).
However, I have a big issue with getting watercooling
How durrible is it. See Im kinda in a shafted position right now where I spend my weekend at my moms place, and since its an hour drive away from my friends I bring my computer with me.
Ive done it for about a year now with my air cooled cases, worse thing thats happened was poping off a little stand thing on my case which just screwed back on. However, this computer is a wee expensive and I dont want to see it go in a bunch of flames....

So my question to those of you who have used watercooling, how durrible is it? Generally here. Assume I can put them on just fine
(plus if I can get a stable OC on my vid card and .5 gHz more outa my CPU I can get on the top 10 3dmark03 cpu scores with my vidcard setup. )

assman

XaNToR
15-07-06, 13:39
get urself a box, put oil in it and throw ur hardware in there... its the best way to cool ur hardware(no joke)

CMaster
15-07-06, 14:41
Probably not hte best idea when he lives in a hot environment anyway - remember that the oil-based system is purley passive. Also, would make it damn heavy and likley to spillages in transport.
In fact, its an awful idea for assman to try.

jini
15-07-06, 16:32
water cooling is still a passive sysem cmaster. It's as passive as aircool is infact. They both cool the system down by carrying heat loads using ambient inroom temperature. In fact mate, if you got a couple of inlet pressurising fans, and a couple of outlet holes or fans to expel heat you have a good system. 38 degrees is not at all much for modern electronics. So as a rule of thumb, if your ambient temperature is below 30 degrees (besides with more than that, you can hardly live in such a place, you need A/C), both systems will work fine: remember operating specs needs something in the range of 20 degrees and 40% RH. With more than that you need freon cooling systems, or even better an A/C in your room.
So active systems is freon, and the peltier element.
I would use watercooling for suppressing noise

Asurmen Spec Op
15-07-06, 22:52
Oil seems like a bad idea.
seeing as I have to CARY it around!
but really I just want to know how durrible the tubing and the likes would be, and maybe a recomended watercooling :)

and my ambient temp is like 36ish. at night it goes way up....
Right now my idle is only a few above ambient, but ambient can get preeeetty hot.

Pantho
15-07-06, 23:22
my pc runs at a smooth 45C. heh....

rob444
16-07-06, 02:17
Oil is great! When your mom have forgot to buy some oil, just open your floppy or cd/dvd-rom and give her some!

Asurmen Spec Op
16-07-06, 04:10
Oil is great! When your mom have forgot to buy some oil, just open your floppy or cd/dvd-rom and give her some!
Well god thatd be worth a laugh

jini
16-07-06, 06:53
Oil seems like a bad idea.
seeing as I have to CARY it around!
but really I just want to know how durrible the tubing and the likes would be, and maybe a recomended watercooling :)

and my ambient temp is like 36ish. at night it goes way up....
Right now my idle is only a few above ambient, but ambient can get preeeetty hot.
Get a reserator 1.2 from here: http://www.zalmanusa.com/
The reserator can quarantee very quick dissipation of heat, however 36degrees of ambient is extremely high Assman (you seriously mean 36deg room temperature???). If it's that high, then ANY kind of liquid be it water or oil will also be that high. You sure you dont live in the base of a solar panel? :D
In any case even in these extremes, the reserator is a fanless device. Therefore it's performance will greatly enchance if you also use a fan in extreme extremes (you know, like these that have a water tank and evaporate water, lowering temp some degrees)

Edit: I now see that you say that the temperature in the case is 38 with 6 fans. So what is it? 38 inside the case? or 36 degrees of room temperature?

Asurmen Spec Op
16-07-06, 10:39
It really depends the time of day, at night Im at 55 under load and at day its like 46.

Ill try and find a thermomiter. the only thing i have is A) speedfan B) 2 case mounted sensors that are just floating in the case. 42C right now just inside the case (this is at night, its usually about 36 iirc.

I need AC, really bad

jini
16-07-06, 16:59
Listen, you are making me crazy. what is it? if its just 40 degrees inside the case then its fine. even 50degrees inside is fine.
Instead o fspending the cash the reserator stupidly needs, spent them to buy an A/C. This way you will both cool down: you and the computer. And later in the evening you can also assume forbidden activities with the opposite sex :p. Therefore with just an A/C you will improve in all areas as well :D

Water cooling solutions like the one from Zalman, is durable but its also a line of products that are close to useless. They are just another means for companies to sell stuff. They go together with multicolored led fans and the like you know. Also using more than 2-3 fans in a case (total) just shos how badly designed that case is. You can understand this easily, if you take a look at how big manufacturers make their PCs, like Hp, Apple and Dell. From all those Apple is the best in case designing and if you take a look you will notice only 2 fans. If they can do this, then you can do it as well. And as you know, the most heat comes just from 2 components: the CPU and the GPU.

Powerpunsh
16-07-06, 17:11
My system is watercooled.
MY system is loud and the temp atm is 43C°, romtemp 26,3C°.
And mine isnt passive cooled. i have 2 120mm fans and a 120x240 radiator. Graphiccard and cpu is cooled.
Im thinking for an system with the passive cooling system like jini posted. One or two of these towers and everything is watercooled. Its very expensiv.
But there is an other problem. The heat goes in ur room and this can be very hot. When my pc runz, the roomtemp goes up at 5-10C°.
and if ur system is full passive cooled, ur roomtemp can get up to at 10-20C°?

jini
16-07-06, 18:00
ok lets just stay away from terms like passive or active. What I wanted to say using them is that, there is one thing to have a system that can lower really lower the temperature (this is what an aircondition unist does or a Peltier element) and another if you have a fan that throws air at you.

Powerpunsh room temperature is getting hotter because i bet you have one of those modern PCs with super duper graphics cards (these can use some 150 watts of power) add another 100-150 for the super dual processors, add some 100 more for that second SLI GPU ;P, then add losses from the power supply (50watts) plus losses from the motherboard and some 100 watts if you use a 19" CRT monitor, you can have a thing that radiates some 500-700 watts of power into your room. this is like a small heater mate.
Here's what you can do (besides throwing the PC out of the window :p):
Get a Reserator from Zalman, get some long pipes, so you can locate the Reserator outside your room. On the other hand, if you come to think that one of those goes beyong 300euros, you easily go buy a good airconditioner as well. You can esily find one at these prices.

The heat goes in ur room and this can be very hot. When my pc runz, the roomtemp goes up at 5-10C°.
and if ur system is full passive cooled, ur roomtemp can get up to at 10-20C°?
No you dont have yet another heat source (the reserator is not emiting anything) therefore if you place the reserator inside the room, you will get the same effect. However the PC will get a lot cooler inside, because HEAT COMING FROM CPU/GPU will go to the reserator and then to your room, leaving the PC case cooled.
However, forget all about stupid Reserators, and buy yourself a nice AC, get one of those LG units with the art thingy :) At least you will feel 3 times more comfortable. Also don't forget to open the windows when using AC. CO2 can easily built up in a small room with windows closed, and this makes air stale

Powerpunsh
16-07-06, 19:35
my system:

amd athlon xp3000+
radeon 9800pro
:p

and jini, how much metres pipes u will need to put this reserator out of ur room? The reserator produced more heat than a heater. o_O
but nvm

netster
16-07-06, 21:44
got rid of your tons of harddrives inside your case.

yuuki
16-07-06, 21:48
erm the reserator is mebbe the worst thing you can buy for your system tbh. it's rather hard to transport as it is a rather big cylinder that u have to move in addition to ur hardware and i read that the connectors of the hoses aren't 100% watertight when no hose is attached as it would be when you want to transport it.
besides it is a passive cooler so the heat dissipation isn't to great either so only thing it could do is lowering the ambient noise, but your temperature may even rise with it as your system seems to be ventilated rather good.

wwith liquid cooling systems installed into your computer transportation shouldn't be an issue as long as you transport it more or less in a standing position.

personnaly i use an aucma coolriver liquidcooling system for cpu,gpu and northbridge.
with 31°C ambient temperature cpu is 43° gpu 56° northbridge 37° during gaming.
cpu is a amd athlon64 3000+ winchester, gpu geforce 6600gt and northbridge is nforce 4 ultra.

tho you still would have to ventilate your system so that your ram and mosfets don't overheat, which could damage your computer as well as there is no watercooling system covering these parts as well (afaik)

if you really want to oc your system you should go for a compressor cooling system (as in a fridge) which unfortunately is loud and rather expensive

Asurmen Spec Op
16-07-06, 22:07
Listen, you are making me crazy. what is it? if its just 40 degrees inside the case then its fine. even 50degrees inside is fine.
Instead o fspending the cash the reserator stupidly needs, spent them to buy an A/C. This way you will both cool down: you and the computer. And later in the evening you can also assume forbidden activities with the opposite sex :p. Therefore with just an A/C you will improve in all areas as well :D

Water cooling solutions like the one from Zalman, is durable but its also a line of products that are close to useless. They are just another means for companies to sell stuff. They go together with multicolored led fans and the like you know. Also using more than 2-3 fans in a case (total) just shos how badly designed that case is. You can understand this easily, if you take a look at how big manufacturers make their PCs, like Hp, Apple and Dell. From all those Apple is the best in case designing and if you take a look you will notice only 2 fans. If they can do this, then you can do it as well. And as you know, the most heat comes just from 2 components: the CPU and the GPU.

True on the AC part :P
However, more fans more airflow, airflow is my friend.

As for money Im kinda in a fucked position, =/

jini
16-07-06, 22:15
Yea, well that's plain bull***, apart from the thing that reserator is dificult to carry with you ofcourse and that its very expensive, you are trying to say that a 400$ product has loose piping connectors (that is, the cheapest and most crucial part of the system). The reserator by design is one of the best and the reason to this, is simply the fact of its large tank and its larger radiated area. the tank acts as a heatsink with almost infinite thermal capacity, and the area for heat radiation is so large... the thing is very good there's no question about it, but it's expensive and is not needed if the case is well designed.

Edit2: I was reffering to yuuki assman but you jumped in the middle lol ;)

now, to move this out of your room Hecktor, you will need to measure the distance between the pc and the place you want to leave it, then multiply by two and thats it. You need to get the extra piping from a plumbing shop. Next, to connect the whole thing, use the original piping and connectors the Reserator has, to make connections inside the case, and connect with the extra pipes outside the case in a place where you can see it, because there is a chance of lose connection there. It's not a hard task, but again I suggest you avoid all this mess all along.

You better focus again on your system. why is it producing all this heat? tell me how many power supplies and what kind do you have? do you have many hard disk drives? The radeon 9800 is power hungry?

Edit: one of the best things about the reserator is that it completely drives heat AWAY from the case and it does this by absorbing all the heat generated by the CPU/GPU,letting you decide where you gonna dump that heat. It also makes for totally silent systems, since there is no need anymore for fans.

jini
16-07-06, 22:27
True on the AC part :P
However, more fans more airflow, airflow is my friend.

As for money Im kinda in a fucked position, =/
Airflow and more airflow is not the answer sorry. Airflow at low temperatures is. Which is why I asked you for room temperature. Imagine yourself all sweated standing in front of a powerfull hairdrier or a mild airconditioner. Which one would you prefer?? ;)

yuuki
16-07-06, 22:48
:lol: you think it's good cause it costs much?
tbh anyone using a reserator to cool down his system will be dissapointed unless he mounts ten fans on the heatsink.

oh and btw the capacity of the radiator is quite limited as you would know if you ever read more than a commercial pdf about it :lol:

jini
16-07-06, 23:19
:lol: you think it's good cause it costs much?
tbh anyone using a reserator to cool down his system will be dissapointed unless he mounts ten fans on the heatsink.

oh and btw the capacity of the radiator is quite limited as you would know if you ever read more than a commercial pdf about it :lol:
I think it's good because it is :D
And it is good because I like the design and I agree with the concept behind it.
It is designed to be used fanless, but if you want you can add 10 fans. My system is made by me and uses just 2 fans: one very good from zalman, that tunnels heat directly out of the case and one for inle pressure. thats all. My cpu runs @ 35

I have never read a commercial pdf about the reserator, but Zalman is one of the few that designs fanless cases, if that tells you anything. The reserators capacity is as much so as to buffer heat shocks, it's heatsink are is so huge that raiates temperature and does the work. If you want more capacity though, you can add as big of a tank as you like. The radiator will still do its work ;)

Pantho
16-07-06, 23:23
Wait..... Your not ment to open windows in a Air condition Enviroment.... Lets the heat in cold out?

yuuki
16-07-06, 23:42
erm what room temperature you got when cpu is at 35°C? and what cpu u use and is it under load or idle?

oh and the zalman case is rather nice, tho very limited about the hardware you can stick in and hdd temp is even dangerous so you should put that in a separate casing :p

but i have to agree that a good ventilated system with a good cooled cpu isn't much hotter than one with most watercooling systems.

the idea behind the reserator really is rather nice, but still the quick connectors are made of plastic and it's overall thermal capacity is pretty low. that's why it's not recommended to cool more than the cpu with it :o

Asurmen Spec Op
17-07-06, 00:46
Airflow and more airflow is not the answer sorry. Airflow at low temperatures is. Which is why I asked you for room temperature. Imagine yourself all sweated standing in front of a powerfull hairdrier or a mild airconditioner. Which one would you prefer?? ;)
quite true

jini
17-07-06, 07:12
erm what room temperature you got when cpu is at 35°C? and what cpu u use and is it under load or idle?

oh and the zalman case is rather nice, tho very limited about the hardware you can stick in and hdd temp is even dangerous so you should put that in a separate casing :p

but i have to agree that a good ventilated system with a good cooled cpu isn't much hotter than one with most watercooling systems.

the idea behind the reserator really is rather nice, but still the quick connectors are made of plastic and it's overall thermal capacity is pretty low. that's why it's not recommended to cool more than the cpu with it :o
we all work in normal room temperatures something in the range of 20-30degrees. Personally if temperature goes up from 27 i switch on the AC. I generally live in a hot environment. Manufacturers recomendations for electronicsin general are 20 degrees @ 40% RH, but this doesnt mean you cant violate these limits. For instance I have setup a wireless bridgelink with access points in the roof, inside watertight enclosures. For such compact enclosures without ventilation these still work at temperatures over 20-30 dergrees. They work for more than 2 years now in this harsh environment. Cpus can go way beyond 35degrees and still work fine. This is how they are designed.

The zalman case is a very special and unique product which uses radiation to get rid of extra heat. Even though it is limited to what you can put inside the case, it still allows you to choose hardware, yet its purpose is, to built a noiseless machine for very special places like studios and the like. You simply dont have any other alternative at least that im aware of. However to manufacture such a thing, it means you need to know what you are doing, because it's not easy to radiate 350watts like that. If you can handle the cost (some 1500$ ?) then you go for it, because theres no other thing like a noiseless PC

The reserator is again, designed to cool a cpu/gpu combo, but i bet they can also cool a SLI combo. Now that i better see the product they also cool gpu memory and the northbridge. That means that the reserator essentially takes 95% of the heat produced (from 350-400watts) outside of the case and drops them whereever you place the radiator. From it's specs i see that it holds 2.5 litters of coolant. To me this sounds a lot, but you can compare it if you like with you car's oil coolant which is no more than 4litters of oil ,for something that produces, say 50kw of energy or 250x that of your pc. Again its not thermal capacity but radiation ability that counts.
It's connectors are made of steel where it counts (that is, inside the case) and have steel sphincters. there's just no way these can be lose. The only plastic i see are the coupllings in the radiator tank, which are quick connect/disconnect for practical reasons, (you want to carry the thing), but then again they also have installed valves in those spots. So it sounds prety secure. The guy that told you about plastic connectors most likely didnt know what he was saying, or was working for a competitor company :)

yuuki
17-07-06, 10:55
the ammount of fluid inside your cooling system just gives u a short time cooling reserve after which only the heat dissipation from your radiator counts. and that just depends on it's surface and on the amount and temperature of air passing over it. that's why systems with fans are more effective than the ones without as they simply increase the airflow. all in all watercooling is doing nothing more than getting your heat to a spot where it can radiate, be it a radiator built on back of your pc or one outside, mebbe even standing in another room. so what is crucial in these systems is how much heat it can 'carry' from cpu/gpu etc. to the radiator (which normally isn't all heat produced in these spots) and then how much heat dissipates there, as a hot coolant will move less heat away from the source than a cool one.
unfortunately the reserator lacks in the latter one, so your coolant will rise in temperature leading to limited cooling possibilities after a rather short amount of time, whilst a car radiator has much more surface AND a huge fan mounted on top of the grille, so it's overall performance is virtually in another league.

i repeat myself, the reserator is to get noise down, not heat. same goes for the case which uses heatpipes to move the heat to the radiators instead of a liquid coolant.

asi t seems you don't believe me
review 1 (http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsinks/2004/2nd/Zalman_Reserator1_pg2.shtml)
review 2 (http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-232-5.htm)
review 3 (http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/zalman-reserator/index.x?pg=1)

if u read these carefully you'll notice that the performance of the reserator is comparable to an air cooled system, but not to a watercooled one and asurmen was asking about something efficient and transportable, both are the main weakspots of the reserator.
ah and don't try to use such a small pump to cover long distances with it like putting the sink outside or sthing. in that case you'd need a bigger pump tbh

jini
17-07-06, 11:39
Yuuki, these graphs means nothing to me. They all seem to favour Reserator, simply because while the reserator still remains within manufacturers acceptable limits (this is under 40 degrees) it does this with no fans AT ALL. Now if you get a bit high room temperature, get a cheap room fan, like the one you already use and then you beat all these stupid systems made by the rest. The idiots in A1 electronics compare a no fan cooling system against a noisy Fan one, ofcourse the fan one will come first, this is like comparing a solar powered vehicle against a Ferrari ;)
Reserator supresses noise as well as heat, but an AC is generally a better solution

If you place longer piping you don't need bigger pump why would you? And with longer piping you get even more volume (it doesnt make any difference, but since you said it had not a lot of water)

What I don't understand at all however is, why the "reserator lacks in heat dissipation", when it clearly has more radiation area. This is not true either. It's really good mate, but its expensive and its large. But if you want to cool a thermal load of 100-200 watts theres no other way to do magic :)

Edit: and I still believe in goold old plain case design, but if I wanted to have both a cooling system and a noiseless as well, I would have gone with reserator v1.2

yuuki
17-07-06, 21:29
with capacity i meant thermal capacity, not the volume of the cylinder, and if you want to move a higher mass (as you do when pumping more water cause your piping is longer) you ofc need a larger motor, that's why pipelines don't just have a pump at the start.

the graphs simply show that oc with this watercooling system isn't a good idea, while it may be ok for cooling a normal system, but asurmen wanted to overclock the cpu by .5 GHz which is quite alot and dissipates way more heat than a cpu at standard specs, that's why you need way better cooling than the standard one.

and it's not just radiation area, but air flowing over it that cools the system, that's why the biggest radiator in space won't cool anything good

Scanner Darkly
18-07-06, 01:39
erm the reserator is mebbe the worst thing you can buy for your system tbh. it's rather hard to transport as it is a rather big cylinder that u have to move in addition to ur hardware and i read that the connectors of the hoses aren't 100% watertight when no hose is attached as it would be when you want to transport it.
besides it is a passive cooler so the heat dissipation isn't to great either so only thing it could do is lowering the ambient noise, but your temperature may even rise with it as your system seems to be ventilated rather good.

wwith liquid cooling systems installed into your computer transportation shouldn't be an issue as long as you transport it more or less in a standing position.

personnaly i use an aucma coolriver liquidcooling system for cpu,gpu and northbridge.
with 31°C ambient temperature cpu is 43° gpu 56° northbridge 37° during gaming.
cpu is a amd athlon64 3000+ winchester, gpu geforce 6600gt and northbridge is nforce 4 ultra.

tho you still would have to ventilate your system so that your ram and mosfets don't overheat, which could damage your computer as well as there is no watercooling system covering these parts as well (afaik)

if you really want to oc your system you should go for a compressor cooling system (as in a fridge) which unfortunately is loud and rather expensive

He's right, the Resorator is awesome IF you never plan on moving your crate - but you do, so stay away. It would be a major hassle having to disconnect hoses in order to move it, plus it's pretty heavy (for feeble me).

Tsukasa
18-07-06, 06:22
now if you want the best cooling solution and not have to spend a fortune go with phase change cooling. just take a compresor(out of your airconditiner or fridge) buy some copper pipe, insulation, and block of aluminum or copper for a heat sink, and some solder it all together, the rest you can figure out.

jini
18-07-06, 07:04
with capacity i meant thermal capacity, not the volume of the cylinder, and if you want to move a higher mass (as you do when pumping more water cause your piping is longer) you ofc need a larger motor, that's why pipelines don't just have a pump at the start.
Doh. You don't pump more water. You pump a specific volume of it per time unit, regardless of how much water you have. you can pump a lake using reserator's pump, it will just take an eternity :lol:
With large piping there is only a mater of water friction that's involved, but this doesn't apply in Hector's case

the graphs simply show that oc with this watercooling system isn't a good idea, while it may be ok for cooling a normal system, but asurmen wanted to overclock the cpu by .5 GHz which is quite alot and dissipates way more heat than a cpu at standard specs, that's why you need way better cooling than the standard one.
Well Assman wants the earth and the sky, if he wants to oc so much @ so high temperatures he is in, the reserator is still the best solution for him. But he won't run it silent. He will cool it down using room fan. Then he beats hands down all those solutions you showed me.

and it's not just radiation area, but air flowing over it that cools the system, that's why the biggest radiator in space won't cool anything good
Well the most expensive part of the system is the radiator though. And if you got The high quality radiator of the reserator, at a flick of a button you can have forced airflow ;) that is, if natural airflow is not sufficient

Tsukasa presents the best and the cheapest solution here , since you can easily go in a junk yard and find as many fridge compressors as you can imagine. But this needs a lot of machining to make, and it's not free of costs either, nor do you have guarantees it will work.

Asurmen Spec Op
18-07-06, 07:46
Hey, Ive gotten 2.5 GhZ with less than stock voltage, dont you tell me .5 isnt happening

jini
18-07-06, 15:16
Just out of fun, and an indication of what luck does sometimes, I was browsing the internet and found the vapochill from these guys lol: http://www.asetek.com/ This is essentially a small ac unit for cpu but at the same price as the best room airconditioners. It goes for some 850 euros and i dunno if you also need VAT on top of that, and I remember me, recently purchasing my room ac from hitachi, with Inverter technology compressor, nano filters and electrostatic filters for air purifying, remote controls, and the innovation of fresh air intake (it cost me less tha 700 lol), just an indication of the margins these things have. enjoy :)

yuuki
18-07-06, 16:29
actually if you could undervolt your processor easily it is a good indicator that you can overclock it as well, but as you already had to increase vcore by 0.075 volt (forgot if x2 was specced 1.3 or 1.35 tbh) you already increased the heat output by roughly 18 watts. now if you can oc your processor to 2.9 GHz without increasing vcore anymore (which i doubt) you'll raise your tdp by another 20 watts, so you'll have around 148 watts tdp roughly which you need to dissipate somehow and that's only the cpu, your gpus should have 90-100 watt tdp each, so you'll end up having to cool around 400 watts, so roughly 3-4 times the heat your cpu cooler needs to cope with now.
that's why i doubt even a zalman reseller would recommend the reserator as it simply is not designed to be cooled actively and therefore will NOT be superior to a watercooling system specifically made for use with a fan (or 3 :p )
compressors on the other hand are really great for hi end overclocking, tho they would be too much for you and, in addition to the drawbacks i stated in my first post, are not ment to be moved around often. (that's why you shouldn't plug in a fridge right after moving too)
here's (http://gomeler.com/2006/04/16/vapor-phase-change-cooling/) a nice article on building one yourself tho. just check the pics and you'll see why it's not good for a mobile system :p (oh and be sure to follow some links at the end of the article, may be interesting :D )

jini
19-07-06, 06:32
Right. So, we question now, whether the reseator is designed to be actively cooled (using a fan) and not if some 2million integrated transistors oc/undervolt are designed to do that.
On the aspect of placing an evaporator element direclty in touch with electronics, I would say a big NO. This presents 100x the danger a water heatsink has of water leaks. Due to low temperatures, way below freezing point they tend to condence humidity in the surrounding area. How confident would you be, if you place an icecube inside your mobo, where the cpu is?

Instead I would prefer if they used this method to chill water, which then pass through a heatsink element like those used by Zalman and others.
I don't understand the principle of oc, becuse every 3-6 months they create a processor 2x more efficient, so what's the point investing hot cash? and risk a lot in the process?

Question: if he is going to mess with his cpu, how does this interfere with his GPUs? Or, why does he have 2-3 times thermal load now? I would guess he would have a 20-30% more thermal load than before. Do I miss somehting here? (I know shit about oc)

Asurmen Spec Op
19-07-06, 06:59
I can get to ~2.69 with stock but any higher than that and it just doesnt like to go, I dont really move my voltage up more than .25 because of heating issues.

Trillian
19-07-06, 14:18
My friend has a water-cooling system in his computer, he loves it.

yuuki
19-07-06, 17:02
Question: if he is going to mess with his cpu, how does this interfere with his GPUs? Or, why does he have 2-3 times thermal load now? I would guess he would have a 20-30% more thermal load than before. Do I miss somehting here? (I know shit about oc)

the gpus heat dissipation is a factor if you want to include them in your watercooling cycle as the heatsink will have to cope with their heat as well, whereas in an aircooled system each has it's own cooler.

when you increase the frequency of your processor you will have the system become unstable rather quick as with a low processor voltage the transistors can't change their state fast enuff, so you'll have to increase the voltage (basically like a capacitor, if you want to load it fast use a higher voltage).
part of the current running through the chip will leak tho and produce heat instead of being used for calculations. this leakage is proportional to the square of the voltage, that's why you have certain limits of how high you can get with a 'normal' cooling system.

I don't understand the principle of oc, becuse every 3-6 months they create a processor 2x more efficient, so what's the point investing hot cash? and risk a lot in the process?
imho oc is more like a hobby (it really is fun tbh :D ) than something really usefull, as most hiend cooling systems are more expensive than an apropriate processor :p

Asurmen Spec Op
19-07-06, 22:08
OCing my computer hasnt given me any "real" bonuses, but you see people who took a 3700+ to 2.7gHz.

Its just fun to do :)

jini
20-07-06, 06:24
But exactly because large corps have smelled this, they produce more and more useless stuff, and more and more expensive as the vapochill clearly shows. For the price you pay and it's efficiency, vapochill is a dissapointment of a piece of junk, yet it's marketed as "the most powerfull mass made compressor" On the other hand, a piece of aluminum weighting 5 kilos is sold under a hefty price tag of 400$, as much as an room AC that is. Hobies are expensive ;)
Here's another idea assman: get an AC, channel some of it's chilled air thru a pipe or air duct directly to your case. You will get from 35degrees down to 10 inside your case. Redisgn your case so that it vents hot air from cpu/gpu directly out of your case and you are ready for oc plus you get as a bonus a nice AC which will also help nocturnal activities ;)

Asurmen Spec Op
20-07-06, 09:55
But exactly because large corps have smelled this, they produce more and more useless stuff, and more and more expensive as the vapochill clearly shows. For the price you pay and it's efficiency, vapochill is a dissapointment of a piece of junk, yet it's marketed as "the most powerfull mass made compressor" On the other hand, a piece of aluminum weighting 5 kilos is sold under a hefty price tag of 400$, as much as an room AC that is. Hobies are expensive ;)
Here's another idea assman: get an AC, channel some of it's chilled air thru a pipe or air duct directly to your case. You will get from 35degrees down to 10 inside your case. Redisgn your case so that it vents hot air from cpu/gpu directly out of your case and you are ready for oc plus you get as a bonus a nice AC which will also help nocturnal activities ;)
Now thats one fuck of an idea! I like it :)
Its kind of annoying hearing people's cpu running on air at the temperature my room usually is
And I know people market crappy things as great, hence why I asked here about a feild I know little to nothing about :)

jini
20-07-06, 16:28
It's all a simple matter of energy basically. It's all about energy conversion, machine efficiency a little bit (you have this when your product has no immediate competition. Efficiency also means good design) and, since we are talking about components that need to enter a case a bit of miniaturization.
You can learn a lot from looking just a machine's psu. This is where everything begins. The vapochill for instance has to chill a load of say 150watts of energy, while on the other hand a room AC consumes about2-3 Kwatts of energy. Notice the difference?