View Full Version : Core Duo vs Turion

Koshinn
30-06-06, 03:41
Specifically,

AMD Turion 64 ML44 2.4GHz
vs
Intel Core Duo T2600 2.16GHz

This is in a gaming laptop.
Basically, it comes down to 64bit single core AMD processor vs a 32bit dual core Intel PIII.

I don't wanna hear about personal biases towards AMD or Intel, I want either reviews or stories from people who own those actual chips (any turion and any core duo). I don't care if AMD is traditionally favored... Core Duos kick the crap out of enarly everything AMD can throw at it besides the top end Athlon 64 X2s desktop processors.

I also wanna know people's opinions on the movement away from 32bit and to 64bit.. with Intel developing 64bit now, will 32bit computers be phased out in a couple of years? And in personal experience, how useful is dual core?

Should I just wait until the Turion 64 X2 is released (not long now...)?

landofcake
30-06-06, 15:07
If the benchmarks for Conroe are anything to go by (i think Conroe is Core Duo), then definatley the Intel chip ... their performance in games has been absolutely fantastic.

I've always been an AMD man but i intend to get a Conroe when they surface.

IceStorm
30-06-06, 17:56
Yonah is Core Duo. Conroe is Core 2 Duo. Merom is I don't know what yet.

Your problem isn't going to be the CPU, it's going to be the video card, battery life, and memory/hard disk. Choose the one with the best balance of GPU and battery life for your needs.

Intel has had 64bit for a long time (Itanium). If you mean the transition from 32bit to 64bit on the desktop, that will take on a more tangible form with the release of Vista, far as I'm aware. That won't be until Q1 2007. It isn't really going to get you much other than larger virtual address space. 64bit doesn't make things run twice as fast as 32bit. :-)

Koshinn
30-06-06, 21:36
Yonah is Core Duo. Conroe is Core 2 Duo. Merom is I don't know what yet.

Conroe is Core 2 Duo, desktop version. Merom is the Core 2 Duo laptop version.

Since Merom is due out in August, I guess I'll just wait for that... it's supposed to be reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly good!

Ok, what would you rather have in a laptop?
nVidia 7600, 256mb
or
ATI x1800, 256mb?

landofcake
01-07-06, 02:19
Also, thanks for clearing that up, because i do want a Conroe when they arrive.

rob444
01-07-06, 03:52
For laptops, I would just stick with an old pentium (<200mhz) and install linux - solved \o/

IceStorm
01-07-06, 04:01
Merom is the Core 2 Duo laptop version.We'll see. It might be named Core 2 Duo Mobile, or they may stick with Core Duo.
Since Merom is due out in August,I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Yonah being out less than a year and Vista being delayed may serve to push Merom back a bit.

Supposedly, Merom is a pin-compatible replacement for Yonah, and will be a drop-in upgrade with a new BIOS. If that's the case, you could build your own laptop now and upgrade the CPU once Merom arrives.