PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Knackered Monitor.

Tratos
12-06-06, 18:13
I'm wondering if anyone has any potential quick fix advice on a monitor i have which broken down during the night last night.

When i woke up this morning the monitor was off and simply emitting a slight clicking noise from around the power socket round the back - i assume it's trying to communicate with dolphins - and that's all it now does, i moved it around a fair bit yesterday as i had all my computer gear out to clean round the back of the desk since it was full of dust and then reformatted both machines - everything is well except that monitor.

Any thing i can do to test it being completely fecked? Also does anyone have any suggestions for possibly getting it working again as i cant replace it due to being a skint student as i could possibly fix any loose or dodgy connections.

And i've tried a few different power leads - same result, dolphin speak.

EDIT: I'm currently using a smaller monitor which goes green from time to time at the moment.

Spermy
12-06-06, 18:54
I'm wondering if anyone has any potential quick fix advice on a monitor i have which broken down during the night last night.

When i woke up this morning the monitor was off and simply emitting a slight clicking noise from around the power socket round the back - i assume it's trying to communicate with dolphins - and that's all it now does, i moved it around a fair bit yesterday as i had all my computer gear out to clean round the back of the desk since it was full of dust and then reformatted both machines - everything is well except that monitor.

Any thing i can do to test it being completely fecked? Also does anyone have any suggestions for possibly getting it working again as i cant replace it due to being a skint student as i could possibly fix any loose or dodgy connections.

And i've tried a few different power leads - same result, dolphin speak.

EDIT: I'm currently using a smaller monitor which goes green from time to time at the moment.

Loose connection inside? Or possibly something blown... Any kind of repairs on a monitor are definitely not home jobs, for the sake of personal safety. I'd rank fiddling a monitor up there on the crazy scale with putting a fork in a PSU.

kurai
12-06-06, 18:55
By all means take the back off and have a look - it's possible you just jarred loose a cable or connection.
(The big HT ground collector on top of the tube is a common culprit)

Have a look for any obvious cracked or dry-soldered connections on the mains power intake bits while you are at it.

The standard caveat applies tho - be fucking careful as you poke around. There's some damned great capacitors in there that, even after 24 hours unplugged, will still bury you in the opposite wall if you discharge them with a careless finger.

Tratos
12-06-06, 19:24
Hmm... i dont think i'll open the case untill the weekend then - i've got exams all this week anyway - and then i'll have a look around to see if there's anything that's come loose while i've been moving it around.

Thanks for the warning about the beefy capacitors of doom too or i'd of probably went in prodding connections and such randomly.

Any suggestions to stop my second monitor flickering into a rather green state too? lol

RogerRamjet
12-06-06, 20:01
If its knackered can you film yourself hitting it with a cricket bat?

kurai
12-06-06, 20:07
2 likely areas to look at ...

Input connections - i.e. the cabling and pins externally or the socket & pins & PCB connection internally.
The green channel electron gun - this means poking around on the back of the tube again for loose connections.
Same caveats as before ;)
If no obvious loose or broken conductors/solder joints/pins/connectors it may be a timing chip gone on the gun controller. You are pretty screwed then without professional help and proper spares.

One thing worth looking at is eBay, even with minimal budget. Some real bargains around on CRT monitors.

For example :- after I got back from a week at parents over Xmas my big old IBM 22" CRT wouldn't come out of standby properly - kept trying to sync 5 times a second (Flyback transformer controller had died).

I won an Iiyama 21" for £10, and even got the guy to deliver it for free (he worked a few miles away from where I live).
It was listed as having a focus fault - centre of the screen was blurry. I had fixed that within 10 mins of him dropping it off and leaving - a simple matter of popping the back off and turning the X & Y focusing ring knobs a fraction. Perfect picture now :)

Even CRTs advertised as perfect and fault free frequently go for ludicrously low winning bids.

Tratos
12-06-06, 20:08
If its knackered can you film yourself hitting it with a cricket bat?If i cant fix it - that can be arranged but possibly with a golf club or hammer - potentially, all 3. :D

Thanks kurai, i'll take a look on ebay! Might see if i can get a couple 'new' monitors too since even if i can fix the green screen it only being a 15 inch screen annoys me, lol.

Jodo
12-06-06, 23:54
If its knackered can you film yourself hitting it with a cricket bat?

/signed

rob444
12-06-06, 23:58
Whatever you do, don't use one of those armbands that leads electricity away. When fiddling around in a monitor - it will get you zapped instead.

Uho
13-06-06, 04:10
like kurai said chekc the end of the tube connections check all shoulderings are they loose... clicking noise means either end of tube is loose or one of the vertical or horizontal high power transistors are dead.

and yes beware do avoid touching the tube itself... it can still have shitloadsa powah in it after week of being out of electricity...

i have sometimes had this tiny lighting drilling my hand when being debugging a tube that doesnt work properly and put my hand too near the tube...
it is uhm very unhealthy..