PDA

View Full Version : ATI problems

rob444
05-06-06, 01:37
Hello, I was in contact with ATI "customer care" about a problem I've had for as long I can remember with my GFX card.

First off, system specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz (HT)
2x512 mb pc3200 running in dual mode (400mhz)
ASUS ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition AGP (256mb)
Windows 2000 PRO SP4
Latest DX and Catalyst

Now to the problem... I can't play games in Window mode, this includes games like, Neocron 2, World of Warcraft, Guild wars etc... I can play the game in window mode but after some time the PC will lock up and if I wait for 30~ seconds the monitor will flash and the ATI VPU recovery crap will pop up, rebooting the drivers for me. If I dont fix the window mode after the first vpu recovery thingy, it will lock the entire pc up so I have to reboot by pressing the button on the case.

It doesn't seem to be a driver issue, I've tried lots and lots of them.
The temperature is pretty much normal, I got Overdrive on (automatically clocks after temperature), so the temperature raises to about 75~c. The temperature will hardly go over 70c in window mode, so it doesn't seem to be temperature problems either.

So third party? Can't be that either... because as I said before, I've had this problem for a very long time... and last week I had to format my PC because I made a boot defrag with insufficient disk space causing the boot defrag to corrupt the sam database in Windows because it couldn't copy the files back it moved..., so I couldn't make copies of my encrypted files since I couldn't log onto my administrator account trough recovery console...! (my sourcecodes... *sob*)...
Anyway, after I had installed win2k pro again the problem still persist..

So... anyone have any similar problem, or had? Anyone know of any solution to this? I want to be able to play games in Window mode ffs.

oh ATI customer care gave a worthless reply as usual.

IceStorm
05-06-06, 03:18
What goes to 75C? The CPU or the GPU? 75C for a GPU would seem kinda high. My 6800GT goes no higher than 60C.

Can you play DVDs in a window or other video files for extended periods of time?

Have you tried the card in another computer? Have you tried a different card in your computer?

cRazy-
05-06-06, 03:32
If its the GPU then it seems like its too high, although the X800 cards do operate at a High temperature, I'm sure the absolute maximum is about 100c.

As far as the X800 goes, for every 10c you increase a discrete parts (in this case the GPU) average operating temperature you cut its lifespan in 1/2 what ever that given lifespan may be. Conversely for every 10°C you lower the average operating temperature you double the GPU's lifespan. So if the card is running that hot, it is going to last nowhere near as long and depending on how long you've had it, could be damaged already. Theres also situations where high temperatures can cause GFX card malfunctions.

If your graphics card as its own Molex power input, make sure its plugged in properly, other then that I cant think of much else.

giga191
05-06-06, 10:02
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz (HT)
2x512 mb pc3200 running in dual mode (400mhz)
Windows 2000 PRO SP4
Latest DX and Catalyst

Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz (HT)
4x512 mb pc3200 running in dual mode (400mhz)
Windows XP pro
Latest DX and Catalyst

That's my PC, it works fine :D

Idle temp of my card is 34C

Assimilator
05-06-06, 10:06
Don't bother having Overdrive on. Are you still using the stock cooler that came with the vid card? If you want to overclock, look into getting an aftermarket (arctic-cooling.com 's ATI Silencer series).

VPU usually runs because of high heat - causing VPU to kick in so you don't fry you card (happened to me back when I had a 9800 XT - forgot to plug the fan power back in after applying new thermal paste - VPU kept screaming at me when I tried playing games :p ).

Try turning overdrive off - you don't need it for the games you're playing anyway.

nellus
05-06-06, 10:47
Ok how do you know what temps your cpu and gpu are running at?
Do you need an infared heat measurement gun? or is there a program that tells you?

Sorry for being stupid :p

rob444
05-06-06, 13:50
Well I've heard that around 63-80c (on the GPU of course) is quite normal for the X800 series. Yeah I have the original cooling system on it, I'm thinking of buying a new one as you said, might fix the problem but I don't really think it's the temperature (since I can play in fullscreen mode without problems and it's higher temperature there). The overdrive option I can have on because it's reading the GPU heating sensor and overclocks it after the temperature, if I'm not mistaken, it said in the manual for the gfx card that it overclocks to maximum of around 75c, so if the card would be just too hot ATI Overdrive wouldn't clock the card at all.

I can use other 3D applications (like 3d studio max, maya etc.) without problems, it's just games that behaves irationally.

nellus, ATI got an interface in the controlpanel which tells me the temperature, Powerstrip also have this feature by pressing Ctrl+Alt+O (GPU temp right now 58.3c hihi).

btw giga nice PC ;D. What mobo are you using? :P

landofcake
05-06-06, 15:03
I had a problem a while back with 6800, the entire machine used to hardlock everytime i tried playing games.

It turned out i had a dodgy molex connector plugged into the card.

giga191
05-06-06, 15:23
btw giga nice PC ;D. What mobo are you using? :P asus P5P800-SE. Oh and i forgot that the x800 has a arctic cooler on it (nice n quiet + cool)