PDA

View Full Version : Forum improvment

LiL T
31-05-06, 03:40
How about any thread that an offical posts in it would show that, what i mean is if nid posts in a thread it gets a special tag like a yellow box around the thread to show it is a hot topic. This would make the forums explode with good stuff and not just spam from people who want to make there post count higher <retards...>

P.S I will start launching my attack at fucking spammers cos you guys piss me off, with your useless input that is best kept on a AOL chat forum. Its fine to have an original joke that we can all share but repeated boring crap, just gets on my nerves.

nobby
31-05-06, 03:59
REMOVE PARA

MONKS HAX0r1ng WITHOUT RETICLE OMG OMG!

SPIES OVERPOWERddd WiTH 104242 PSI!

Mr Kot
31-05-06, 04:04
How about any thread that an offical posts in it would show that, what i mean is if nid posts in a thread it gets a special tag like a yellow box around the thread to show it is a hot topic.There is always the S.T.O.R.M. bot avatar that catches my eye and i always pause on that because i know the post will be something of value.

As for 'hot topic', the 'locked' icon kinda does that for me too :p

LiL T
31-05-06, 04:23
There is always the S.T.O.R.M. bot avatar that catches my eye and i always pause on that because i know the post will be something of value.

As for 'hot topic', the 'locked' icon kinda does that for me too :p

Its not good enough though, I play eve-online which is a very sucessfull game. In their forums devs will post and the threads will get a yellow highlight. It makes everyone post there views in that one thread, gets everything related to the game done and seeing too. I really can't discribe how good that is for a game.

unreal
31-05-06, 05:12
I've been pretty annoyed with the mass of spam too. I've sent different moderators endless messages about it, they were agreed upon, but generally ignored. The population is quite low as of lately and as a result, it seems as though the rules have been slackened somewhat, so people aren't driven away. This means the same people, we all know who, post the same old crap in almost every thread, the same old "spam" or "want some cheese with that whine" images trying to be cocky alongside some nonesense message. Those people generally get away with it too (increasing their post count/trying to advertise their "veteran" image). Nidhogg and other moderators not being able to simply delete those posts/threads as they arise without getting specific written permission doesn't help things either.

Going specifically on-topic though. What you mentioned might require a small modification to the vBulletin source, to use a different template for threads started by members of the dev/official/whatever group(s), which might be against the vBulletin license/t&c. There's not much else to do though really, apart from either making the message content more noticable, perhaps by heading it with some enlarged/coloured title, or making the signature more noticable. That option will most likely be ditched, as it can be easily repeated/duplicated by non-officials, unless specific segments of BB code is disabled. Another option would be for the moderators to simply submit their post within a HTML table that has a nice chunky coloured border around it, which can't be done by regular users.

Generally speaking, I think the problem is more to do with people simple ignoring moderator messages/warnings, knowing they'll be able to get away with it, rather than reading and noticing the messages. Some sort of highlight would be a helping hand though.

In regards to what Mr Kot said, the COPBOT avatar isn't enough for me to pay attention to it personally. Maybe they should change the "official" moderator avatar to a Neocron Evolution 2.1 logo, or make some sort of large signature image with large red text letting people see that they're a moderator, with the Neocron Evolution 2.1 logo on it of course. The main point of this thread is thinking of ways to bring more attention to official posts and such. That option is possibly the least time consuming one, and easiest to implement. Personally whenever I see the Neocron logo it's like "ooh, Neocron" and I read it.

Nidhogg
31-05-06, 10:02
unreal, you're not above the occasional bout of spam either so it's best to let it rest. If anyone is assuming that I won't remove them from the forum for serious breaches of the rules then they're making a mistake.

Unfortunately there's no way (without hacking) for this board to flag up such posts which is why I originally started the "KK Statements" sticky. This was lost after the forum reshuffle and I said yesterday that I would bring it back.

I think this is a good post to flag up...

N

/edit - "Nidhogg and other moderators not being able to simply delete those posts/threads as they arise without getting specific written permission doesn't help things either." <-- WTF is this all about? I state in a thread that we have a procedure for determining whether something is an exploit or not and before you know it I can't moderate the forum without getting written permission? How do you figure that one out?

unreal
31-05-06, 10:20
I hope it didn't take you too long to come to that conclusion. Everyone spams the forum in one way another at some point, it just depends how frequently, and with what. I don't do it that often. We (or I) were talking about people who constantly sit there waiting for new threads to arise, so they can spam the living drom out of it, and are quick to insert annoying crap like this to their posts, all in the name of increasing their post count etc.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/982/ihhuh7ak.jpg

http://www.spam-uk.com/images/NewSpam/BPcanBox.jpg

Couldn't be bothered finding the one RogerRamjet always inserts, but there you go.

@ your edit: You told me about it in one of the private messages you sent me.

Tratos
31-05-06, 10:31
Blizzard also use a function in their forum to flag all posts made by their moderation/gm/dev teams and they all appear in blue throughout the forums probably why the function to find them all is called "Find blue posts" :p but this feature comes from the software being hacked or custom written - i assume its purpose built because it looks crap and not like other forum software i've seen and used feature wise.

And to be honest, the Neocron forums just aint big enough to require that sort of function and the KK Statements thread will do the job nicley if you ask me as it did previous to the forum re-shuffle and most posts which would probably be classed as "Blue Posts" (To use the Blizzard example) wouldnt be of worth due to Nid's cross over in jobs since alot would show up as "Spam, Closed" etc :p and few of the other S.T.O.R.M-bots post much if at all (With the exception of the balance forum).

RogerRamjet
31-05-06, 12:05
I hope it didn't take you too long to come to that conclusion. Everyone spams the forum in one way another at some point, it just depends how frequently, and with what. I don't do it that often. We (or I) were talking about people who constantly sit there waiting for new threads to arise, so they can spam the living drom out of it, and are quick to insert annoying crap like this to their posts, all in the name of increasing their post count etc.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/982/ihhuh7ak.jpg

http://www.spam-uk.com/images/NewSpam/BPcanBox.jpg

Couldn't be bothered finding the one RogerRamjet always inserts, but there you go.

@ your edit: You told me about it in one of the private messages you sent me.

Here you go:-

http://www.modernsurf.com/spam/spamanm.gif

If you check for that image in most threads, theres a direct correlation between you saying something along the lines of "stop the spam", and that image appearing a few posts after :angel:

Its like you know when someone tells you to stop nudging them, and you would have happily stopped if they hadnt brought it up, but you continue anyway because you know its pissing them off, its like that.

Mighty Max
31-05-06, 12:17
Its like you know when someone tells you to stop nudging them, and you would have happily stopped if they hadnt brought it up, but you continue anyway because you know its pissing them off, its like that.

Sounds like lil' kids.

RogerRamjet
31-05-06, 12:42
Sounds like lil' kids.

No, i'm not a kid, i just enjoy annoying people.

Mighty Max
31-05-06, 12:54
No, i'm not a kid

Didn't say so. I just compared it with the behaviour of kids.

Not that i have any prejudice :angel: , but i wouldn't brag with beeing as social skilled as a lil' kid.

commerzgandalf
31-05-06, 13:14
Happy B-Day Mighty :)

CMaster
31-05-06, 13:49
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=134194

So we ahve it now. Yay - its a useful resource. Would have saved me time when I was trying to find that "last ever item tracking message" post for example.

rob444
31-05-06, 14:37
Unfortunately there's no way (without hacking) for this board to flag up such posts which is why I originally started the "KK Statements" sticky. This was lost after the forum reshuffle and I said yesterday that I would bring it back.

There's a huge difference between hacking and changing code ;).

Nidhogg
31-05-06, 15:05
I use the term "hacking" because that's the accepted term for modding VBulletin forums. I don't literally mean going in and randomly messing with the code. ;)

N

Jezebel
31-05-06, 16:11
There's a huge difference between hacking and changing code ;).

And there's a huge difference between hacking and cracking ;)

rob444
31-05-06, 16:50
I use the term "hacking" because that's the accepted term for modding VBulletin forums. I don't literally mean going in and randomly messing with the code. ;)

N

Haha I see :p.

Seezur001
31-05-06, 16:50
According to some of DaFire's postss on VBulletin.com, this board is already hacked...we just cant see a lot of them ;P

Nidhogg
31-05-06, 17:20
That's correct, there are a number of hacks already installed, but it's not something that we do unless we really have to as it has upgrade implications, not to mention carrying a considerable amount of risk for a 24x7 forum.

I think the "sticky" solution will be sufficient, if not actually more preferable from your point of view as you don't have to scan different forums. The only downside is that I have to remember to update the sticky. ;)

N

rob444
31-05-06, 18:27
Just give us all moderator privilieges and we can update it for you! *cough*