PDA

View Full Version : OT [Anyone else wrecked PC by.....]

CHA0S
29-05-06, 18:05
Decided to clean my pc internals of dust with a can of compressed air forgot to buy the air so thought hell ill just blow it all out, done most of it and thought i'd do the cpu cooler, so i unclipped the securing piece and gently wiggled and pulled......np came out easy enough so blew all dust off it and was about to put it back and thought to myself............where is the cpu....finding it still stuck to the underside of the cooler and noticed several pins missing..........OUCH expensive considering i not long bought it was an AMD64 4000
well guess ill be playing on this pc for awhile

Just wondering if anyone else done something the same or even worse???

would love to read......probably make me feel better :lol:

Apocalypsox
29-05-06, 18:20
i lost a harddrive once trying to clean my peice of shit comp 8|

Lodar
29-05-06, 18:23
Same here, I was cleaning my PC and dropped a screw onto the hard drive circuitry, which fried it the minute I switched it back on. :(

cRazy-
29-05-06, 18:24
I've blown my Computers fuse by wigging a 4-pin Molex connected to one of my case fans.

Thats about it.

sanityislost
29-05-06, 18:44
Once i plugged my mic in, smelled smoked...so looked in the lil window in my
case and there was a sexy fire....then i freaked out :lol:

SiL ..:..

.hack//sign
29-05-06, 18:47
*cough* no feet on mobo *cough*

a buddy of mine has also split his mobo in half by screwing it in to hard.
my brother blew up his old comp with a shitload of m-80s(homemade tbh^_^)

giga191
29-05-06, 18:53
i've never fucked up a PC :)

maybe i'm just lucky, because when i was putting together my first one, i had very little knowledge

Apocalypsox
29-05-06, 18:59
*cough* no feet on mobo *cough*

a buddy of mine has also split his mobo in half by screwing it in to hard.
my brother blew up his old comp with a shitload of m-80s(homemade tbh^_^)

i did that to my old TV so fucking fun!!!!

nobby
29-05-06, 19:26
Change the voltage at the back of the pc...

flick the switch

*Cough * Bang...Smoke!

Mr Kot
29-05-06, 19:37
Never fucked a PC myself, but nearly did. Attempting to self assemble my current PC from scratch, i was so busy working out what goes where, i totally neglected the small detail of those little brass risers for the motherboard before plonking it in the case. Good job i had a friend helping out who spotted my error :p

finding it still stuck to the underside of the cooler and noticed several pins missing.......heatsink adhesive perchance? or forgot to flick the lever on the ZIF socket first?

Change the voltage at the back of the pc...

flick the switch

*Cough * Bang...Smoke!Lol, Nobby... if the PC is fine, what on earth possesses you to flick the switch at the back, when it's already set? :p

I bet you like to pull the large red handle on trains too, after saying 'what does this button do?'

aKe`cj
29-05-06, 19:39
spilled half a litre of red wine on the open case, while the pc was running :D ...was a bloody mess cleaning up afterwards.

Bredahl
29-05-06, 20:14
spilled half a litre of red wine on the open case, while the pc was running :D ...was a bloody mess cleaning up afterwards.

almost did the same thing.. it was a beer when i did it though :)

nobby
29-05-06, 20:22
Never fucked a PC myself, but nearly did. Attempting to self assemble my current PC from scratch, i was so busy working out what goes where, i totally neglected the small detail of those little brass risers for the motherboard before plonking it in the case. Good job i had a friend helping out who spotted my error :p

heatsink adhesive perchance? or forgot to flick the lever on the ZIF socket first?

Lol, Nobby... if the PC is fine, what on earth possesses you to flick the switch at the back, when it's already set? :p

I bet you like to pull the large red handle on trains too, after saying 'what does this button do?'

lol, I didn't do it :p

Skusty
29-05-06, 20:27
Nope, i have never done that. :lol: But my friend fried his 9800 if i was called so and he burnt his motherboard.

CHA0S
29-05-06, 21:38

heatsink adhesive perchance? or forgot to flick the lever on the ZIF socket first?

Lol, Nobby... if the PC is fine, what on earth possesses you to flick the switch at the back, when it's already set? :p

tbh i thought the adhesive supposed to stay in a mushy state stupid stuff set hard hence gonna try and say the company who supplied it all inc the adhesive gave me wrong type for the cpu (worth a shot) but i know ill be paying for a new one

DIS
29-05-06, 23:22
tbh i thought the adhesive supposed to stay in a mushy state stupid stuff set hard hence gonna try and say the company who supplied it all inc the adhesive gave me wrong type for the cpu (worth a shot) but i know ill be paying for a new one

I did a similar thing on my p4 but as I removed the heat sink I only managed to bend a courner pin (478's FTL tbh), the compound does go hard once heated and cooled down, the cheap nasty crap is the stuff that stays mushy. Best thing to do is run the PC for a while then remove the heat sink (without burning ones hands), doubt you can claim though mate and if you were usin the heat sink that came with the AMD, try ringing AMD directly as they might replace the buggerd CPU if you were using there supplied heat sink which has a square bit of putty on the bottom, or buy a p4 775 which has no pins :p

landofcake
30-05-06, 09:32
hmm ...

When i was younger i once fried an AMD K6-2 by running it without a heatsink

I accidentally ripped an Athlon 64 3500+ out of it's socket (it worked ok thankfully)

A friend of mine set up his new motherboard, only to find it setting on fire when he turned it on (oddly enough, it still works, albeit charred)

solid-rock
30-05-06, 09:44
Same here, I was cleaning my PC and dropped a screw onto the hard drive circuitry, which fried it the minute I switched it back on. :(

Friend of mine did that aswell. It melted 2 of his usb ports shut.

dark_reaper
30-05-06, 17:20
I have never done anything bad to my computer other than dropping it once.

My pops computer on the other hand started to collect dog hair for some reason, (we have a dog). The computer was actually inside a cabnet. After a while the dog hair started to get into the cpu fan and after a while, it started burning. I opened up the case and the cpu ended up black. Had to replace both the processor and the mb.

Nidhogg
30-05-06, 18:36
I poured half a cup of coffee into a two-and-a-half grand IBM Thinkpad a month or so ago. It immediately went dead, but the next day it booted up fine. I just have occasionally "crunchy" keys.

N

cRazy-
30-05-06, 18:39
I did a similar thing on my p4 but as I removed the heat sink I only managed to bend a courner pin (478's FTL tbh), the compound does go hard once heated and cooled down, the cheap nasty crap is the stuff that stays mushy.

Nope, Thermal paste/grease is the mushy stuff (like Arctic silver etc).

Thermal adhesive is built ecspecially to glue the Die and Heatsink together and transfer heat.

RaekOne
30-05-06, 18:52
This one time at band camp I shoved a flute up my....

Oh wait, my bad.

My mate bought a PC from the states when he lived there, and forgot to mention it was from the states to me... I plugged it in to a normal kettel lead and BANG!!! the capacitors all blew up...

DIS
30-05-06, 21:32
Nope, Thermal paste/grease is the mushy stuff (like Arctic silver etc).

Thermal adhesive is built ecspecially to glue the Die and Heatsink together and transfer heat.

Which tends to be located with stock AMD/P4 coolers and does stick in place once heated, silver also tends to go hard as well, where as the white always stays mushy/sticky.

giga191
30-05-06, 21:41
I poured half a cup of coffee into a two-and-a-half grand IBM Thinkpad a month or so ago. It immediately went dead, but the next day it booted up fine. I just have occasionally "crunchy" keys.

N nothing the nidhammer can't fix eh? :p

Nidhogg
30-05-06, 21:57
nothing the nidhammer can't fix eh? :p
I was hoping it was bust actually because the new laptops have 256MB video cards and, get this, fingerprint scanners! Unfortunately it was ok. :(

N

giga191
30-05-06, 22:00
fingerprint scanners!
N fingerprint scanners ^^

i'm sure they would just steal the whole laptop and not just your files

Sammson
30-05-06, 22:06
Heheh, I'm just setting a few of my users up with the lil scanner. Slick it is, a real timesaver when you're on the move. (The engineers are lovin it.)

Oops , for the topic:
Beer on keyboard, (wash out and dry off, don't touch the membranes with ANYthing)

Wrecked cpu fans from cleaning (many)

Cpu pulled out with heatsink, plugged straight back in (phew, 50/50 chance at best)

Swapping monitor cable troubleshooting, fried ATI 9600 pro (argh, 2 months old)

A few I've seen:

Tower pushed back so far the cables rip the plugs out of mb.

A guy with burnt out cpu fan opened the case and aimed a house fan into it. ( When it finally started to freeze even when just turned on, he went and bought a bigger house fan :)

Matthew.v.smith
30-05-06, 22:55
I've had a few accidents.

1) Pulling the CPU out with the Heatsink, damn thing sticks so tight to it, lucky for me it still works and no pins came out :P

2) Flipping the voltage switch on the PSU, something to do with my old crappy speakers needing a direct connection to the PSU, and in a moment of stupidity I didn't stop to think and thought it was a cover for the hole, sadly it was the switch...Boom...lucky for me I had some money to buy a better, more relibable one with a blue LED and no voltage switch :)

aside from that i've got lucky with most things, such as when replacing my Mobo something wasn't working, and without realising it I started plugging in the LED's with the power on, that could have been nasty....

M.

RusSki
31-05-06, 00:33
Just finished rebuilding a friends notebook after a pint was spilt (kicked) over it while it was on.

Yes it was my fault, it was my birthday and i was very drunk.

What a great present that was to myself. Buying new hdd, mobo, ram, battery and modem for him.

Rob01m
31-05-06, 03:16
I plugged one of those tiny wire cords (Where power switch, reset button, speaker, etc would go) into the wrong pins on the motherboard. After I plugged it in and started it up, the whole cord bubbled out and started smoking. Quickly cut the power again...

That gave me quite a scare. :lol: Nothing else was damaged but the cord though. For the next hour or so I kept imagining smoke everywhere in the corner of my eye. O_o

IceStorm
31-05-06, 04:17
where as the white always stays mushy/sticky.If applied properly, thermal compound, no matter the color, forms a very strong seal between the CPU and the heatsink. Once the seal cools, the CPU is effectively bound to the heatsink. I have ripped a Socket 478 CPU out of its socket before while attempting to remove the heatsink. The thermal compound in use was white in color (some sort of electrically non-conductive stuff). That was the last time I ever tried to remove a heatsink without warming up the heatsink first. Luckily, the CPU was fine.

The only other "accidental" damage I've ever caused was plugging in an SB Live! Digital I/O board cable backwards. That smoked one edge of the cable. Card was fine afterward.

landofcake
31-05-06, 19:59
I once had an animal inside my PC ...

See, at home, i've got 2 cats, and occasionally they'll bring mice into the house.

I was using my PC with the case side off (this was a few years ago), and the cat decided it was going to try and chase this mouse into my room ...

Well, the mouse ran inside my PC and took refuge between the sound card and the graphics card ...

It took me a while to sort that out, i can tell you ...

RogerRamjet
01-06-06, 00:03
I once had an animal inside my PC ...

See, at home, i've got 2 cats, and occasionally they'll bring mice into the house.

I was using my PC with the case side off (this was a few years ago), and the cat decided it was going to try and chase this mouse into my room ...

Well, the mouse ran inside my PC and took refuge between the sound card and the graphics card ...

It took me a while to sort that out, i can tell you ...

Must have been a KK mouse, you know, the ones that run around inside the servers to make them work?

Obviously, it couldnt find the mouse wheel and decided to nestly in between your GFX and sound cards.

Skusty
01-06-06, 15:55
Oh, you mean the mouses who run in wheels to generate power to keep the server running?

[TgR]KILLER
01-06-06, 15:59
Decided to clean my pc internals of dust with a can of compressed air forgot to buy the air so thought hell ill just blow it all out, done most of it and thought i'd do the cpu cooler, so i unclipped the securing piece and gently wiggled and pulled......np came out easy enough so blew all dust off it and was about to put it back and thought to myself............where is the cpu....finding it still stuck to the underside of the cooler and noticed several pins missing..........OUCH expensive considering i not long bought it was an AMD64 4000
well guess ill be playing on this pc for awhile

Just wondering if anyone else done something the same or even worse???

would love to read......probably make me feel better :lol:

lol smartass :P the cpu cooling paste kept the cpu and cooler together and you just pulled the poor thing out of the socked :(

you should just have your pc turned on for a few seconds so the paste would become hot then you could just remove it with ease.

i blew a pc up 8 years ago or so. was a p200 decided to put a floppy drive psu connector up the audio in of the cd drive.. din't like that :p i din't know better just tought i saw a lose connector and it fitted :P

cRazy-
01-06-06, 16:05
Mouse in a wheel = PSU
Tarantula walking around on a Calculator = CPU
Squirrel playing with an Abacus = RAM

=

Neocron 2 server

Scanner Darkly
02-06-06, 00:13
I think I have most of you beat for sheer idiocy: I stuck my old sexy Sony VAIO laptop first in a fridge, then in a freezer for some "el oh el omg 1337 overclocking phun". Tried this a few times and everything seemed fine, only a couple of weeks later the laptop would start turning off randomly within minutes of being switched on, unless it was running 100% cpu load (had to use Folding@Home or Seti to keep it that way). It didn't last too long after that.

Yeah all that condensation and chillage does not make computer a happy computer!

In my scant defence, this was many years ago (P2 300 laptop) and I'm slightly less retarded now.

PS: nearly killed second laptop by drowning it in water, saved by the warranty. Thx Toshiba! Yeah maybe not any less retarded, eh folks?

Skusty
02-06-06, 11:41
Mouse in a wheel = PSU
Tarantula walking around on a Calculator = CPU
Squirrel playing with an Abacus = RAM

=

Neocron 2 server
You forgot : Kamelont in a glass = GFX.

PepsiPlayer
02-06-06, 14:39
Cant say i have ever "accidently" loused a computer, but i used to work for a small computer shop and if a customer came in with a suspected fault on a mobo for example and we were busy, we would simply power up the pc and run a screwdriver over the back of the mobo, had a fault then! Best one tho was we puchased a batch of dodgy gfx cards that were 1-2 mm to small for the agp port, so when cusomer purchased a new pc from us and a week later they couldnt get any display due to our shoddy gfx cards, we simply blamed it on the gfx card moving and we told the customer "Dont worry, it happens all the time, its due to adverse solar activity. Its down to solar flares interfearing with the earths magnetic field and that simply pulls on the gfx card" they always fell for it.

Oh yeah, putting tuna fish inside customers pc's that we didnt like, that was fun.

Anyone need their pc repaired?

Bishop Yutani
02-06-06, 16:12
to the OP: did you check to make sure the pins were actually missing? Most chips dont have all their pins which makes it LOOK like some of them are missing, but in fact its for other reasons, including ensuring the processor only fits in the socket one way.

forgive me if this was covered already, i skipped page 2 :D