PDA

View Full Version : New ISP Suggestions

pabz
26-05-06, 13:50
Well today my ISP finally gave into my constant abuse and my account is being shut down. This is a good thing as they have blocked most of my ports till after 12pm. Meaning neocron was half playable at peak times, Ventrilo is un-usable etc. + hopefully the constant syncs will be gone :lol:

So I look for a new ISP any suggestions?? A ISP wont fuck up after a few months of use.

Mr Kot
26-05-06, 14:16
Who were you with? I'm with Tiscali who are giving me no end of problems atm.

So i'd be grateful of any info too. I want an ISP that's reliable and won't keep dropping my connection or not letting me connect for half the night.

cRazy-
26-05-06, 14:31
Blueyonder all the way.

Brammers
26-05-06, 14:37
Zen ADSL (http://www.zenadsl.com/). Rock solid, they don't block ports, and no bandwidth quota. I've used them for the last year and a half.

Never had a problem with them, except when my ADSL router played up, but their customer service was very helpful to help find and fix the problem. (As I didn't know it was a modem or line problem.)

Downside, they are a bit expensive, but all the cheap ones out there are just crap.

Edit: Take back what I said about bandwidth quota, I forgot they have new services and they don't allow signup of the old unlimited packages. Still 20gig is a lot.

Edit again:Fixed link, you don't really want to know about PHP do you? ;)

msdong
26-05-06, 14:46
i just wonder how many traffic ppl have that they get kicked by their ISP. ;)

Skusty
26-05-06, 14:58
Ownit (http://www.ownit.se/) if you live in sweden, i got it, cheap and good if you mail/call their support and ask them to remove you from the securityfilter.

Zheo
26-05-06, 15:17
I use Andrews & Arnold the only problems I ever have come from BT not my isp. Never had any problems with them but they aren't cheap, It's £18.99 for 1gb per month. (that's a maxi line up to 8mb) or you can go up to 50GB per month but thats quite expensive lol, lots inbetween, 2 and 3. If you go over you pay £6.99 for another gb i think, unless your on the 3gb per month which it just carries over.

pabz
26-05-06, 15:32
I cant get cable and im from the UK :P

Pantho
26-05-06, 17:14
http://www.pipex.com/

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

sanityislost
26-05-06, 17:25
Blueyonder all the way.

yea i havent had any problems with them...one time i forgot to pay the for 2
months and they didnt even bitch :lol:. Got a 10mb/s for like 40 a month

SiL ..:..

Nidhogg
26-05-06, 18:07
I cant get cable and im from the UK :P
I'm in the UK and I have cable (NTL). Try their website to see if you're in a supported area. There are a number of other cable companies that might also serve your area.

N

Tratos
26-05-06, 18:15
I usually say Nildram (http://nildram.com) in these threads but over the last week my connection has gone to shit.

yavimaya
27-05-06, 01:57

Well ive hit a cap of 169gig in a month, uploads included though.
didnt even get a comment from my ISP, sounds like some out there are real tightarses.

IceStorm
27-05-06, 02:31
Still 20gig is a lot.Huh? I can download about 1.2GB/hr and upload 300 to 350MB per hour. If I'm torrenting a lot of TV, I can burn through 20GB in less than a week, easy.

I thought only the bandwidth-constrained Aussies had ISPs with bandwidth caps. What happened?

As to what ISP to use, I'm in the USA so my options are a bit different than yours. I use Speakeasy as my main DSL line. Their 3Mbit/768kbit option is about $140 a month w/4 static IPs. I have no limit on how much I can download and I can do everything but run an IRC server. My $30 Verizon 1.5/384kbit line has no hard limits that I'm aware of, but they're not keen on people running services from their home machines.

kurai
27-05-06, 04:22
I thought only the bandwidth-constrained Aussies had ISPs with bandwidth caps. What happened?The Aussie situation is pretty unique because of geography (domestic and international) leading to big upfront and transit costs to be recovered from a relatively small market. They have a country the size of the US but with one fifteenth the population.
There just isn't enough capitilisation to cover a faster infrastructure expansion, so utilisation must be artificially limited.

The UK situation is rather different - the *vast* majority of the telecoms infrastructure is still owned/operated by a single player - British Telecom. They operate 95% of the customer local loops, the exchanges, the backhauls to domestic backbones, the metropolitan network interlinks etc.
The 3rd party xDSL ISPs are pretty much entirely dependant on BT delivering their end-user's IP traffic to peering/transit points. In effect they simply lease capacity on BT's networks to hook customers up to the ISP's own cores.

BT has been slow to invest in new capacity for many years - poor financial performance, transition from state to privately owned company status, lack of long term guarantees of stability (why bother investing in infrastructure that regulation may force you to open to competitors at cost) etc etc.
To afford the upgrades neccessary for ADSL2/+ and ongoing capacity expansion etc. BT had to try and push the ISPs to a new `metered` wholesale traffic model, as opposed to the old `flat fee` model.

As the end-user ISP market basically consists of a thousand and one players all selling essentially the same service, just rebranded a bit, it's all *very* price sensitive and low margin. To be competetive and make any sort of profit at all they have to try to minimise their transit costs across BT's charge-per-byte backhauls - the biggest element of their service costs. Hence the caps.

There are still a few ISPs that have partially held on to the old "flat fee" backhaul charging model (albeit at a base monthly wholesale cost of about twice the entry level `metered` model), but they are getting very very rare, and many dont offer the flat fee, uncapped service to new customers.

I'm lucky enough to have an established 1Mbit flat fee service (on which I pull down about 90Gb per month).
They offered a free upgrade to ADSL2/+ (8 Mbit), but with a 50Gb monthly cap, for about the same money I pay now for unlimited. The per Gb charges for usage over the cap meant I'd pay well over double overall.

Didnt seem worth it.

Hrmmm. That turned into an essay. Can you tell I'm bored ? ;)

yavimaya
27-05-06, 04:27
Kurai, so you know the telco im with "telstra" (telecom) is also in the same situaton as BT, along with all those other things you listed that i didnt think of.
Is probably why i didnt get looked at for DL'ing so much. i am meant to be on a 10gig plan, slowed to 64kbps. lol

kurai
27-05-06, 05:07
Yeah - I know Telstra *shudder* :lol:

When I lived/worked in Aus for a couple of years a while back I had a fair amount of contact with them - I was doing EFTPOS network infrastructure stuff for banks across Telstra's systems - they are a fucking nightmare. Makes BT look like a lean, nimble, forward looking go-getting company ;)

yavimaya
27-05-06, 05:11
lol ya they suck, the problem is they are still the premium service here. :(
Atleast thier cable is still the best net connection you can get, if you include everything like latency, not just dl/ul speeds.

Terayon
27-05-06, 07:18
Been on shaw for a few years now. Its 1024kb download and im not sure on the upload with 60gb of monthly bandwidth. Though in 2 weeks i got to 70ish and received a phone call saying i can monitor my usage if i wanted. :D

Its expensive though and i dont know if its in europe. I know its 100$cdn a month for the internet and the cable with the full package. Upgrading to extreme for 5 megs of download for 10$ more though. :p

Only problem with shaw is that if alot of people in your area are using alot of bandwidth then it will slow down your internet. Get alot of choke in css sometimes. :(

giga191
27-05-06, 09:59
I'm in the UK and I have cable (NTL)

N ntl are quite bad for synching, unfortunately it's the only available isp for me :(

pabz
27-05-06, 15:48
http://broadband.nildram.net/products/dslsurf/ thinking of that any views?

I know 8mb is cheaper but...

OR

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedcomparison_res

Option 2. I dont want to spend the same amount as my old ISP :angel:

unreal
28-05-06, 08:04
Well since I told you that I migrated to Eclipse a while ago, it might be worth adding that their customer support is a touch on the slow side, and from the looks of things, they don't have anyone checking support tickets over the weekend, or can be bothered to respond at least. I also got charged a £40 migration fee, which pissed me off a little bit, since it was supposedly "free". I'll be contacting them about that anyway.

The service for the last couple of weeks has been a bit on the crap side. After I migrated and started using the service, pretty much instantly I was getting about 630kb/s downstream (only a couple of kilometers from my exchange), but since then it's been considerably less on average, about 300kb/s or so. It feels as though they have some sort of downstream per connection cap, which seemed to be correct in some cases after doing a couple of tests from some of my friends internet connections. My upstream (about 47kb/s) always appears to be fine though.

I sent them a message about it on Wednesday, asking about the line rate tests and whatnot, which is a regularity when starting out with their service (they're supposedly over and done with, the "outage" was marked as closed a couple of weeks ago now, yet the same disconnections throughout the day still occur) too. They replied a few hours later, they must have had someone who wasn't lazy in the office at the time :p, I replied back, and now I'm just waiting for their response.

Not complaining about it though, ADSL in general is a shitty way of transmitting data, so I'm extra lucky that I can get those speeds at all, considering I live on the side of a big ass hill in the middle of the countryside.

After noting down those somewhat bad points, I would still say go with Eclipse rather than Nildram. Depending on how far you are from your exchange, and the maximum speeds it offers, you'll most likely get faster speeds than Nildram are offering for a lower price, and Eclipse offers slightly more services for free. Line regrading is free as well, whereas with Nildram you'll be charged £12.93 so some chubby bloke can do 2seconds worth of work.

Edit: I know how you're kind of skint at the moment, the differences in price will be able to go towards keeping your Neocron subscription alive. :rolleyes:

Just now I started downloading a random 697MB file, and was getting an average of about 550kb/s, which means I could have downloaded it in just under 22mins. Not bad for living on the side of a big ass hill. :p

RogerRamjet
28-05-06, 12:06
BT, everytime.

Uho
28-05-06, 13:22

i used to have one unlimited quota on one isp many years ago their agreement said they can cut u off if you abuse the line. so they called me now look your abusing the line your downloading approx 50 gigs a week and we do have agreement saying that we can cut u off for abusing the line.
well i figured a minute and said okay if i can double this bandwidth usage how can u call it abuse? they never called me back :P

Uho
28-05-06, 13:25
http://broadband.nildram.net/products/dslsurf/ thinking of that any views?

I know 8mb is cheaper but...

OR

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedcomparison_res

Option 2. I dont want to spend the same amount as my old ISP :angel:

rofl pabz u cant get slower than 1Mbps upstream/8 Mbps Downstream dsl's from here anymore... :P ive always thought that uk was thirld world country :P
and theres no quotas here either... ;P not for years

pabz
28-05-06, 13:30
rofl pabz u cant get slower than 1Mbps upstream/8 Mbps Downstream dsl's from here anymore... :P ive always thought that uk was thirld world country :P
and theres no quotas here either... ;P not for years
Well i dont really care what connection speed it is along as it is stable. After moving to a new House the closest exchange is limited in capabilities. (This is because im at the end of the line too.) ISPs in the UK are a bit different to what you have in mind.

@ Unreal: Is there much difference in Eclipses Option 1,2,3,4? other then the usage policy?

Uho
28-05-06, 13:31
hrrrm they need to make more exchanges :P

unreal
28-05-06, 13:51
Unreal: Is there much difference in Eclipses Option 1,2,3,4? other then the usage policy?You could just look at the list and see for yourself. :p The main things to note are the "performance" (on the "up to 8Mbps" products their contention ratio varies, whereas other residential products in the UK usually have a fixed ratio of 50:1) and the fair usage policy. Each option has a limited amount of bandwidth that can be downloaded per month during peak hours (which is from 6pm to midnight). Like most of us, you'll most likely be playing games or whatever during those hours, so when you think about it, it won't really have much effect.

The other miniscule differences like amount of webspace, amount of email addresses , etc, doesn't make much of a difference.

rofl pabz u cant get slower than 1Mbps upstream/8 Mbps Downstream dsl's from here anymoreSure you can, it just depends how far from the exchange you are (which is the reason I can only get between 5Mbps and 6Mbps downstream instead of 8Mbps *sulk*), and what speeds the exchange supports to begin with. :)

cRazy-
28-05-06, 13:54
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/index3.asp

Now thats what I'm talkin' bout'

Tratos
28-05-06, 14:03
bulldog = wank. :p

My connection is on the up, it seems there is a throughput fault on my line :( i was limited to less than 56k speeds on thursday, lol