PDA

View Full Version : Servers need attention

yavimaya
26-05-06, 12:33
Sorry to post this.
But im sick of this shit.
I cant get more than two zones in the wastelands without having to relog atleast 5 times, in hope to finally sync in properly, not even in the same zone as I wanted to be in!
Something has to be done, because this is more than rediculous.

I just want to to the kemp missions, but you wont fucking let me!

calim
26-05-06, 14:08
<< open an ingame ticket if you have to report an issue >>

:lol:

There are many annoying situations like yours. For example you plan to drive someone from MB to ElFarid, and rather than taking 5min, it takes 15min or a lot more because ... either you or your friend fataled at sync, or worse you fataled then killed by a mob around. That one examples among many many many many .... I just hopes these issues will be corrected with a higher priority. (higher mean less than three years please :lol: )

Faid
26-05-06, 19:19
:lol: I tried to drive a noob from NC to MB because he was finally able to hunt launchers at the bunker. He had never been outside the city before. This was a nightmare, He crashed 3 different times when synching, and it booted him to the reset points in the zones each time. He had no idea what was going on or where he was or how he got there. I had to drive around till I found him, and one of the times after being reset to the top of a mountain he slipped off the edge and died. It's a wonder he didnt just give up and quit right there. I crashed twice while zoning, leaving him sitting there in the veh wondering what the hell was going on. Needless to say it took a hell of a lot longer than it should have due to this stupi shite.

Pantho
26-05-06, 21:26
I need attention,, ooo Pick me

calim
26-05-06, 21:44
That's why only old players remains on the game, and new ones give up soon after their spawn at MC5 without understand what they have to do ^^
This is a game for *passionnate* players or advanced gamerz, who know that a game can be really bugy and stay "playable" or "interesting"...

Zheo
26-05-06, 22:42
I said it once and I'll say it again, Neocron needs NOOB buddies, guys who sit at mc5 waiting for new players and ask "Can i help" and "press return to enter chat mode, and then type the message and press return to send the message".

Then they help the noobs, provide information about leveling etc.

Spermy
26-05-06, 22:52
I said it once and I'll say it again, Neocron needs NOOB buddies, guys who sit at mc5 waiting for new players and ask "Can i help" and "press return to enter chat mode, and then type the message and press return to send the message".

Then they help the noobs, provide information about leveling etc.

/disagree

Neocron needs a decent tutorial system, in the form of practical exercises/missions from NPCs with attached notes. Learn by doing. And let it start in MC 5 - Culminating in the Bot Mission for combat characters and the construction/research/recycling of a control device by tradeskillers - hell, I'll even write the damn missions. The jones missions aren't enough if you don't understand the rudimentary mechanics. They're great as a storyline moving through the early levels, but they don't explain enough of the nitty gritty.

Apocalypsox
26-05-06, 23:41
go bitchslap ur ISP. see if that fixes it.

yavimaya
26-05-06, 23:46
Well as a beta4 vet, as most people who play these days are (it seems that almost everyone is a beta4 vet), i dont believe NC needs to hold newbies hands even at the very start, we all workewd it out. it was part of the fun.
Much like DOY sucks as a starter city for newbies, as the booming voices of NC are part of the mystic that the game makes you feel at the start.

The main problems i see that get rid of noobs is crashes, and the fact that its like the only game that you have to ever "sync" between parts of the map, atleast a visible sync.

When players get older, both these issues remain, but are more accepted, still hated though, we just start to get pissed with other issues like balance.

I personally believe if they would just hire another company, a company with decent talent (Crytek) to redo thier graphics, and get rid of bugs.
Then hire a Proper server making company to make a server that doesnt require "syncs".
The game would basically be saved, even if no balance was ever brought to the game. there are many very unbalanced games out there that remain very popular.
Im sure KK would be able to handle the balance issues just fine, but my my experiences of the last 3- 4 years, or whatever since i started, KK simply cannot program thier way out an open paper bag.
They are an awesome ideas factory, they just need Crytek to make those ideas work.

Apocalyse - Its not my ISP, im on the countries biggest cable network, owned by the counrties biggest telco. Im sure its fine, i get slightly less problems than i did a couple weeks ago on ADSL (moved house again), i would blame my distance from the servers, as my ping is 300-400 average, but it doesnt explain why the Euros have as much trouble as me.

Apocalypsox
27-05-06, 00:14
dude...i live on the West Coast in the states..and i only get 190-200 ping constant... i think you got issues

yavimaya
27-05-06, 01:54
dude...i live on the West Coast in the states..and i only get 190-200 ping constant... i think you got issues

No, no, as an american you have no idea, not everyone in the world has 14,000 ISP's.
My distance away from the servers is far greater than yours, your still on the same side of the world as the servers..... (northern hemisphere - ive heard how americans dont know shit about things outside thier own country - Australia is in the southern hemisphere, which is the opposite side of the palnet to where you are. I.e. Australia = another country)

Once again, why do Europeans on decent ISP's still get sync problems, if its my ISP's fault?

Redburn
27-05-06, 04:44
I have only one thing to say...
Feed the dam hamsters!!

kurai
27-05-06, 05:12
It generally *is* ISP issues for a great many (not always immediately obvious) netcode related problems.

You'll find, as a rule of thumb, that it's the ISPs that do the most pervasive traffic-shaping/QoS/filtering/contention tinkering that give rise to the most aggravating and widespread game issues.

UDP streams don't react well to that sort of fiddling, especially with a service like Neocron's that has (relatively) very infrequent TCP/forced ACK intervals.

Simple ping isn't always a very useful diagnostic.

yavimaya
27-05-06, 05:14
thats about it, i wish there was a way to kick level 3 in the arse.... its probably all thier fault in the end.

I never had any problems like this in the early days, crashes and bad syncs didnt exists for me in beta4 and early NC1, maybe its all the "upgrades and patches".

Ya, i dont know why Apoc is worrying about ping, i used it as an example for people to see how far away/ far behind i am, not as listed info people could use to diagnose the problem.

calim
27-05-06, 11:44
It generally *is* ISP issues for a great many (not always immediately obvious) netcode related problems.

You'll find, as a rule of thumb, that it's the ISPs that do the most pervasive traffic-shaping/QoS/filtering/contention tinkering that give rise to the most aggravating and widespread game issues.

UDP streams don't react well to that sort of fiddling, especially with a service like Neocron's that has (relatively) very infrequent TCP/forced ACK intervals.

Simple ping isn't always a very useful diagnostic.

But it's still a netcode problem, not a connectivity problem. I don't want the problem to be reversed ;)

Rachius
27-05-06, 12:00
NC's code is a patchwork now, repaired so many times all thats left is the repair code :p

If they started from scratch, with the vision of what NC is now as their goal, it would turn out a lot better. But as it is, its been patched and repatched so many times its a mishmash of code giving rise to even more bugs.

I doubt even KK know what their code is doing at any given time.

aKe`cj
27-05-06, 12:41
If they started from scratch, with the vision of what NC is now as their goal, it would turn out a lot better.

If you provide the 15'ish million euros for that project ... I'm all in for it! :p

yavimaya
27-05-06, 13:54
If you provide the 15'ish million euros for that project ... I'm all in for it! :p

I still think they should just go see Cevat Yerli at Crytek, and beg for them to go partnership and help them remake the game with Crysis' huge profits next year. :P

calim
27-05-06, 15:52
Or maybe a donation paypal button on the website :o I'm joking.

aKe`cj
27-05-06, 16:11
I still think they should just go see Cevat Yerli at Crytek, and beg for them to go partnership and help them remake the game with Crysis' huge profits next year. :P

...and I still think that the below excerpt wins the "funniest quote of the year" award :p

I personally believe if they would just hire another company, a company with decent talent (Crytek) to redo thier graphics, and get rid of bugs. Then hire a Proper server making company to make a server that doesnt require "syncs". The game would basically be saved, even if no balance was ever brought to the game. there are many very unbalanced games out there that remain very popular.

a) KK consists of extremely talented individuals (there's not many from the original dev's left.. and they were talented too). Exchanging the Graphics engine at this point of developement is - I guess - pretty much impossible.

b) A server-making company? You'd have to completely reengineer major parts of the client and the server to get rid of syncs.. and by major I mean MAJOR.

c) The game would be basically not the same game anymore, apart form the concept and gameworld.

...but heh ... I do think everyone shares your idea... pardon, dream, of a NC3 (complete redesign). I dont see it happening tho ;)

calim
27-05-06, 16:13
if i speak about reverse engineering, i will be kick/banned ? :lol:

aKe`cj
27-05-06, 16:26
if i speak about reverse engineering, i will be kick/banned ? :lol:

If you pay close attention to those who are "trying" to reengineer nc1, you'll notice that those of them who are in possesion of a healthy brain do acknowledge the huge archivement of KK's coders.

I may be mistaken ... but I doubt to ever see a playable emu (playable = main features fully working).

NC is a masterpiece... getting a pile of shit, rubble & chaos in some sort of shape where it looks like a game and is somewhat stable / playable - phew!
You shouldn't forget how low-budget NC still is ...yet they've come a looong way with it since the early days of developement. Therefore: Kudoz to KK.

PS: As fanboi'ish as the above might sound - imo it should be kept in mind, that KK is not a collection of idiots or amateurs. Of course there are many issues where I ask myself wtf they think they do - where wrong decissions are being made, where customers are needlessly scared off... but still.

calim
27-05-06, 17:58
But a reversed engeenered WoW server exists and run fine ^^

cRazy-
27-05-06, 18:13

KK wouldn't of spent anymore then 2-3million Euro's (maybe less) I would imagine, and thats the bear minimum for most MMORPGs.

MkVenner
27-05-06, 18:13
I may be mistaken ... but I doubt to ever see a playable emu (playable = main features fully working).

Uhmm... Ultima Online?

cRazy-
27-05-06, 18:18
Uhmm... Ultima Online?

Hes talking about a Neocron emu.

I'm not going to personally say anything about emu's and reverse engineering because I dont know how touchy KK are on the subject.

aKe`cj
27-05-06, 18:20
Uhmm... Ultima Online?

look at my post a second time, this time [removed offensive remarks] - you might get the idea that I was clearly refering to neocron :rolleyes:

Hell-demon
27-05-06, 18:21
KK are a bit touchy, they did close a thread about it.

KK are aware of the emu server. If they take legal action...well, that remains to be seen o_O

Nidhogg
27-05-06, 19:50
KK are a bit touchy, they did close a thread about it.
Two now.

N