PDA

View Full Version : Awful FPS

unreal
21-05-06, 22:54
Today me and Jini amongst others were at Simmons (mostly Paradox vs Death Row), my FPS was so bad, I could hardly keep on target with anyone. I was getting less than 30FPS with vsync on, I turned it off, and it was still frigging terrible, almost no change (as seen in the screenshot). I'm wondering if the mass of spiders is the cause, I don't remember there being that many spiders around Simmons yesterday, and my FPS was fine. Spiders being the cause here would make sense. The same for sectors like plaza 1, where there's an absolute mass of added things to waste resources that ends up damaging your FPS. The god awful new vegetation implementation doesn't help things either.

Along with this balancing, since Neocron is so rubbish performance-wise, would it be too much to ask if there were extra settings that disabled various things? Mainly features that wreck your FPS, so Neocron is actually playable.

PS: This is going to be off-topic for the thread, so please don't comment/reply about it here, instead, react in-game accordingly. Parashock kills PvP, hence why lots of people just don't play anymore. We all complain there's not much GOOD PvP and that it's hard to find, and you all wonder why. See the screenshot for a quick example. It's a shame Reakktor do absolutely nothing about this, even though Neocron is supposed to be PvP orientated. Looks like the opposite to me.

cRazy-
21-05-06, 23:01
[ edited ]

unreal
21-05-06, 23:21
Thanks for doing your usual hobby of adding nonesense posts to genuine new threads to increase your post count. If you have something constructive say regarding FPS/Neocron performance issues, feel free to spit it out, if not, don't post. Thanks

RusSki
21-05-06, 23:44
I think ur right, the spiders really dont help things. I was bezzing around there today when there was a fight going down and my frame rate was like 15 at best.

Ur lucky to have 30fps in the middle of an op fight, I envy you.

Apocalypsox
21-05-06, 23:54
thats not awful. i get 20 FPS just running around plaza. stop complaining.

RogerRamjet
21-05-06, 23:55
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3613/whine7im.jpg

Haxxor my siggie tbh.

I logged on terra a few days back, went to MB, went outside, got parad, went inside, logged off, seriously considering cancelling my accounts just because of that.

The fun factor of NC is being etched away everytime someone pvps it seems.

Bredahl
22-05-06, 02:50
omg stop crying about low fps! only place i get more than 30fps is in my app, when im looking at the floor.. in p1 i get around 7fps (pretty much the same everywhere with alot of ppl) normaly in the wastes without anyone else i get around 12-18fps..

ah well maybe its time for a new computer ;)

Edit: btw im not bitching about you Unreal, but you kinda should be happy with 30 fps at a opfight. I dont even opwaring anymore because of my WAY-TOO-DAMN-LOW fps (and because of ALL-THE-WAY-TOO-UGLY-PARA-SPAMMING-MONKS).. but Unreal, be happy <3

meh i need another beer :angel:

Apocalypsox
22-05-06, 03:21
the cure to paraspam is a scout glider and a explosive silent hunter. tbh.

unreal
22-05-06, 04:44
Might as well close this thread Nidhogg (or someone else), I guess most can't adhere to "constructive on-topic replies" in this case, and will end up filling up with spam, like it did to begin with.

btw im not bitching about you Unreal, but you kinda should be happy with 30 fps at a opfight.I know I'm somewhat fortunate compared to others, but FPS means nothing when your screen jumps around like a bleeding grasshopper, not letting you be able to keep lock on someone, which is what I was getting. The same sort of thing happens with vegetation around when i'm getting the usual 62 FPS average, it jumps from 50 to 62 usually, and can even happen without vegetation at times.

I remember playing the neocron 1 offline demo, perfectly smooth gameplay, I was actually surprised it was Neocron. The difference between the demo and Neocron 2 is that the walls and such aren't plastered with imagery and all sorts of things that appear to lower the performance/FPS.

Apocalypsox
22-05-06, 05:13
the demo is quite amazing. it runs flawlessly, and is how NC should be. maybe the demo simulates living on top of the NC server.

Zheo
22-05-06, 07:54
Unreal have you tried playing with your settings in F-11? I have veg and detail right down, and fog distance about 1/4 down so it's not full. Usually I'm on around 76fps doing nothing, out in wastes it's about 40-60. Dunno about a fight though. I did once go to an op fight where I had 1-5 fps, so i had to just run in a random direction which it reloaded the screen, and I could see where I was going, I ended up about three minutes run from the op, in a lake....good times :D

Serious though you probably know that a DEV will kill your FPS, which is because of the animation of the flames. So why KK felt the need to make it so spectacular i dont know. It could very well be all the weapon graphics of having 20? people at the op fight. Specially if there was lots of monks, their weapon graphics are extremely annoying!

To be honest Reakktor cared and maybe it still dones, much more about graphics and the look of the game than the play-ablility, well I sure didn't play fallout 1-2-3 for the graphics ;) Playability is everything in a game.

It could have been the spiders as well I supose. I wont reply about your other section, and i do agree.

SorkZmok
22-05-06, 08:52
One thing that might help is changing the client.exe priority.

I made a batch file with "start /belownormal client.exe" in it, it increased my fps quite a bit. Well not really increased them but at least i got rid of those fps spikes i got all the time. It a lot more stable right now.

Also the performance with a lot of vegetation around is a lot better. I used to get evil mouselag all the time and that batch file also got rid of that. :)

Karandras
22-05-06, 09:10
30 frames is good framerate, in nc1 a lot of people were happy(ish) with 10 and would have ruined you in nf (or out) with that

RusSki
22-05-06, 18:26
out of interest unreal, what are the specs of your gaming machine hardware and OS wise? cheerz

solling
22-05-06, 19:21
if its a one time thing could be ur cpu loading soemthing else happened to me a few times

if its a normal thing well get a better comp

i got 15 fps normally in op fights :p

unreal
22-05-06, 21:20
Unreal have you tried playing with your settings in F-11? I have veg and detail right down, and fog distance about 1/4 down
Serious though you probably know that a DEV will kill your FPS, which is because of the animation of the flames.I've done all the usual things regarding the client itself, I always have vegetation as low as it can go, when I'm running around the wastelands I always have my view distance as far as it will go, otherwise you won't be able to see possible snipers in the distance, and are at an obvious disadvantage (there's surprisingly quite a few of them lately). That's the only other real change I could make regarding the client itself. As already mentioned, I've tried many different firmware tweaks as well, no change. In some sectors with vsync off, I get over 300 FPS, which results in impossible sector zoning. You zone, and no matter what way you try to move, you keep getting pushed back to the zone in point, totally screwed. Even with vsync off at Simmons yesterday (see the screenshot), I had awful jumpy FPS.

Regarding Neocron, I've seen minimal change in performance (regarding jumpyness and other general issues as well) between the most recent hardware, and hardware that's a touch on the old side, so therefore I leave the better hardware in the room nextdoor for when a few of my mates come round to play LAN games (3 machines with pretty decent hardware, Pentium 4, GeForce 7800's, 1536MB DDR 400Mhz memory, each have their own WD Raptor as a primary HDD which Windows/whatever else is installed on, and secondary 300gb hard drives purely for storage), the machine I play Neocron on is pretty much the same, excluding the graphics card, which is an older GeForce 6800GT.

if its a normal thing well get a better compThere's nothing wrong with my hardware... it's a common issue with Neocron, everything else runs and plays smoothly. The hard drives are automatically defragged on a weekly basis too.