PDA

View Full Version : Why do the people on the german forums have english names?

Zheo
18-05-06, 11:37
Honey, Commerzgandalf, and Cindy Dawn, all have german profiles but english names? I'm sure theres a german word for, dawn and honey :) Anyone else think that's a bit odd? Maybe we should all go and make german named characters :D

Not that i have anything against it I just though it was odd... you know like a sober Irishman!

Pantho
18-05-06, 11:52
Commerzgandalf,? thats english, wow

anyways, u have to much time and your hands and over watching so many films/programs/games. calling some1 "Honey" is international, and Dawn, well same tbh

nabbl
18-05-06, 11:54
Thats Part of the "Anglikanisierung"...

the name of my private Eye on Mars is Lewis Kayne, just because "Hans Müller" sounds kinda odd ;)

giga191
18-05-06, 12:04
German words aren't cool enough. I'm 90% sure that's the reason why

commerzgandalf
18-05-06, 12:17
I think i got from a movie ...

and kommerz with k in the front looks crapy:P

nobby
18-05-06, 12:41
I went on mars...I found "Das Boot"

I think the reason is correct that English names Look wayyyyy better!

But bloody aggrivating when you mistake them for being english.

Jezebel
18-05-06, 13:23
Maybe they use english names cause, while non english people know a bit of english, english ppl do not know any other language :D

RogerRamjet
18-05-06, 13:23
I went on mars...I found "Das Boot"

I think the reason is correct that English names Look wayyyyy better!

But bloody aggrivating when you mistake them for being english.

lol, you mistook people on Mars for being English? Theres only like 3 of us.

John Bushido
18-05-06, 13:46
Its some kind of Hollywood brainwash hero bang bang stuff

German ppl in our age all grew up with films that include names Like John Rambo, John McClane, Luke Skywalker etc etc, and those names are more smooth/cool/whatever than Hans Breukelbaum oder Herbert Müller

So u would find lot of Players with english names on german server but only a few of them are "real" english

John Wu
18-05-06, 13:50
alot of things in neocron are based on english language, even if there's a 'german version' of neocron - Black Dragon Clan is still Black Dragon Clan, Tangent Technologies is Tangent Technologies, Biotech is Biotech ...

Bugs Gunny
18-05-06, 13:56
I have a char with a french name and one with an icelandic name.

I've allways dreamed of a belgian name though.

So be prepared for my next char : Joske Vermeulen

Cronite
18-05-06, 14:26
Honey, Commerzgandalf, and Cindy Dawn, all have german profiles but english names? I'm sure theres a german word for, dawn and honey :) Anyone else think that's a bit odd? Maybe we should all go and make german named characters :D

Not that i have anything against it I just though it was odd... you know like a sober Irishman!

Honey means "Honig" (the yellow stuff from bees you can eat ^^) or in England or America can u call ya girlfriend "honey". German name can be "Schätzchen" or "Honig" ...but I think Honey sounds better.
Same with Dawn.. "Cindy (Morgen)Dämmerung" ..sounds not good, too :)

But not only names are converted in englisch. Furthermore a lot of "normal" words. Some call it "denglisch", mixture between german and englisch.

As summary I think englisch sounds cooler for the most people sometimes.
But I think there are some cool names in another language. For example I like the name "Beaumont" or "Nicolai" and these aren't english words.
btw I like german pronounced words by english people *g*

ps: (k)commerzgandalf is from "Lord of the weed", that's the movie what u mean gandalf, don't ya? ;)

fschepper
18-05-06, 14:34
english names sound more cyperpunk & futuristic to germans..
german names fit better to a fantasy environment..

commerzgandalf
18-05-06, 14:36
ps: (k)commerzgandalf is from "Lord of the weed", that's the movie what u mean gandalf, don't ya? ;)

right:P

i love it :)

Cronite
18-05-06, 14:41
english names sound more cyperpunk & futuristic to germans..
german names fit better to a fantasy environment..

Hehe, das stimmt. In WoW rennen einige rum die "Stahlgewitter" oder so heißen. Da findest du seltener jemanden der da einen englischen Namen hat.

---

That's right. You see people with names like "Stahlgewitter" (Steel-tempests in english :lol: ) in WoW. English names are quite unusually.

Dribble Joy
18-05-06, 15:46
You get a lot of US and English people with 'Japanese' names, though this is usually a direct steal of an anime character's name.

msdong
18-05-06, 16:53
english names = Yes, they sound cool to german ears, exotic.

ill guess thats because a lot of the original cyberpunk stuff is original english written and the names and settings are not translated to german.

another thing is that most times there isnt an exact translation for the name in german or the name would be incredible long and most times without sense.

real german names would be ok on a roleplay server. you can chose a german char playing in an english worls. interesting setting.

forum names on the other side - well the internet is international. why chose a difficult name when most ppl can speak a minimum of english?

unreal
18-05-06, 16:59
Is the name Jim Davidson erotic to Germans? lol

http://www.jimdavidson.org.uk/Assets/jimindex.jpg

The creator of all filth.

SorkZmok
18-05-06, 17:33
Its some kind of Hollywood brainwash hero bang bang stuff

German ppl in our age all grew up with films that include names Like John Rambo, John McClane, Luke Skywalker etc etc, and those names are more smooth/cool/whatever than Hans Breukelbaum oder Herbert Müller

So u would find lot of Players with english names on german server but only a few of them are "real" english
That's it. :lol:

Dribble Joy
18-05-06, 17:38
The creator of all filth.
No, that would be Bernard Manning. At least Davidson's material is legal.

unreal
18-05-06, 17:40
The difference being, Bernard Manning is funny, Jim Davidson isn't.

Dribble Joy
18-05-06, 17:44
The difference being, Bernard Manning is funny
You are a disturbed individual. O_o

RogerRamjet
18-05-06, 23:10
The difference being, Bernard Manning is funny, Jim Davidson isn't.

I thought the difference was, theyre both utter cunts?

My name on Mars are mixed German and English, to confuse you all.

giga191
18-05-06, 23:31
RogerSchwiezer is my guess

canuma100
19-05-06, 00:07
Why english Names?

They can sound much cooler.

Example : KOS (kill on Sight) in german TBS (Tot bei sichtung) sound not very cool right?

but i think the Part in our brain that finds english names Funny or cool Is Shrinking Japanese names gains ground on them. :D

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/248529.jpg

RogerRamjet
19-05-06, 00:54
Why english Names?

They can sound much cooler.

Example : KOS (kill on Sight) in german TBS (Tot bei sichtung) sound not very cool right?

but i think the Part in our brain that finds english names Funny or cool Is Shrinking Japanese names gains ground on them. :D

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/248529.jpg

Best post ever.