PDA

View Full Version : [Idea] Hackable adverts

Jodo
12-05-06, 02:23
I was thinking that hackers could hack the advertisement boards around the city so it displays the hack stats for that runner and states he/she is for hire.
It'd have to be a high lvl hack for the privilege to do this, only a near capped complete hacker or some such.
It wouldn't be wise to let them leave their own message on the board cos all the tards would just place offensive/unwitty messages.
Also, there should be quests or similar activities for a group of hackers working together to achieve. Hackers generally cause havoc wherever they can yet all the nc ones hack belts and download blueprints. We could have them turning off all streetlights in a sector or switching copbots off or something. Hackers like to fuck things up as illegally as possible.
A set of ports scattered throughout hacknet that have to be deactivated or reprogrammed within 2 or 3 mins, making it so it would need several runners to accomplish the task.
I think theres a lot that could be done with this.

Apocalypsox
12-05-06, 03:37
Would be good for tradeskillers tbh.

nellus
12-05-06, 07:05
Sounds like there could be some future in those ideas might just need a bit of fine tunning though.

Necpock
12-05-06, 08:16
Tradeskillers with a high level hack? :s
And not everyone can hack, most people that can hack have 120 hack for belts.

yavimaya
12-05-06, 09:08
Similar to this has been mentioned a few times before, always a very good idea.
I personally like this one slightly more because it doesnt include making up of graphics, nor would it need a GM to place the things in the "ad space" for you.

I think that an addition to this should be: once its hacked, it cannot be hacked again for 24hours.
I do personally believe that to a certain extent you should be able to leave your own message.... but maybe more in the form of boxes that allow certain things, like numbers only for skill level/ tool TL and a place for you to write down the tradies name.

Necpock is right, but at the same time hasnt given it 1 seconds worth of thought. Tradeskillers simply have to hire hackers to place ads for them. (if/ once the pops are big enough to support proper trade)

Jodo, you are thinking in terms of todays attitudes towards hacking.
I NC, in the future it is accepted, people take it seriously, you can buy legal hack tools. I dont think many people would be switching off copbots, etc if NC was RL. :P

Jodo
12-05-06, 11:23
QUOTE=yavimaya]
Jodo, you are thinking in terms of today’s attitudes towards hacking.
I NC, in the future it is accepted, people take it seriously, you can buy legal hack tools. I dont think many people would be switching off copbots, etc if NC was RL. :P[/QUOTE]

There will always be anarchists no matter what. People always like to cause trouble, especially for governments and large companies.
HIOB, though his reason was different, (there is always a martyr) is recent proof of this.
Turning copbots in a specific sector off would aid PvP as well. PvP'rs could hire a group of hackers to do this for them. A failsafe would eventually trip and they would be activated again. Perhaps at midnight nc time?
If custom messages were allowed then they would have to be monitored like these forums. KK will not want this, I wouldn't. Perhaps choosing a proffession and tl number of the traders skill would be better with a choice of currently online runners.

Tradeskillers with a high level hack? :s
And not everyone can hack, most people that can hack have 120 hack for belts.

It shouldn't be easy enough for any nib to take advantage of like downloading from their faction DNS. A level **/3 can go and do this as soon as he leaves MC5 and has some tl90 cubes passed to him. That’s too easy. Dedicated skillers should have benefits and perks to encourage them to be so.

yavimaya
12-05-06, 14:16
There will always be anarchists no matter what. People always like to cause trouble, especially for governments and large companies.
HIOB, though his reason was different, (there is always a martyr) is recent proof of this.
Turning copbots in a specific sector off would aid PvP as well. PvP'rs could hire a group of hackers to do this for them. A failsafe would eventually trip and they would be activated again. Perhaps at midnight nc time?
If custom messages were allowed then they would have to be monitored like these forums. KK will not want this, I wouldn't. Perhaps choosing a proffession and tl number of the traders skill would be better with a choice of currently online runners.

Sure there will always be anarchists, there will always be people that cause trouble.
I would like to see hackers be able to do many more things than now, like the copbots etc.
I dont believe that if ads were up for only 12-24 hours that profanities would cause all that much harm, now do i believe that many people would have high enough hack that are immature enough to post stupid shit.
Especially since there would ofcourse be some sort of logging, and anyone posting anything bannable, would be banned.

Dribble Joy
12-05-06, 16:16
Putting your own ads up on the screens would be good to.

The problem is that the current screens are all just random images from the client's side. With unique/placeable/hackable ads you would add a large amount of load on the servers as it tells everyone what add is up and when it changes.

Apocalypsox
12-05-06, 16:19
i wanna hack that damned alienware sign in PP1 tbh- thing annoyes the shiz out of me.

Jodo
12-05-06, 17:06
Sure there will always be anarchists, there will always be people that cause trouble.
I would like to see hackers be able to do many more things than now, like the copbots etc.
I dont believe that if ads were up for only 12-24 hours that profanities would cause all that much harm, now do i believe that many people would have high enough hack that are immature enough to post stupid shit.
Especially since there would ofcourse be some sort of logging, and anyone posting anything bannable, would be banned.

It doesn't stop them at the moment. People shout racist and very offensive things across Trade already. I'm not gonna repeat any of it obviously but its fucking sick some of it. It would mean each individual board would have to be monitored, way too much hassle. And there are plenty of capped runners out there who are complete arseholes, so plenty of immaturity to be had.

Now you may be right. Maybe the tards would behave or not have the ability to do it but, the point I was making was not for an argument. There is reason enough from what I've mentioned that KK wouldn't want to go for that route.

Dribble Joy has a point though. Perhaps specific boards in certain areas could be used instead of all. But a couple of lines of text sent across the net shouldn't be too taxing. Thats all trade chat is after all. It could be limited to just the boards in the apartments or faction HQ's.
The idea is by no means worked out so keep posting and if we can refine it, maybe KK will take it onboard.

Dribble Joy
12-05-06, 17:15
I think that text on the screens is too open to abuse and would place unnecessary strain on the servers.

What I originally invisioned was a system where you could change the image displayed. So you could put up one denouncing NC/CA/Reeza or an add for your faction.

P.S. See any stuff on the comm and take a screenie and send it to abuse@neocron.com.

Mr Kot
12-05-06, 20:38
The problem is that the current screens are all just random images from the client's side. With unique/placeable/hackable ads you would add a large amount of load on the servers as it tells everyone what add is up and when it changes.
A bit like the OP signs, then?

A few lines of text wont tax the servers that much. If it can be done in the wastes, it should be possible in a city sector or two.

yavimaya
13-05-06, 00:19
I think that text on the screens is too open to abuse and would place unnecessary strain on the servers.

What I originally invisioned was a system where you could change the image displayed. So you could put up one denouncing NC/CA/Reeza or an add for your faction.

P.S. See any stuff on the comm and take a screenie and send it to abuse@neocron.com.

Well, as ive said yes they would be open for abuse, but what i want you guys to think about is if you were one of those people that abused shit, woud you abuse it when your guarenteed of getting court? dont forget it would sit there for 24hours or so atleast.
Imagine saying something over com and having anyone that logs on for 24hours see it, people take risks these days, the risk is removed with the signs, as your guarnetted of getting court if you do something wrong.
But yes i understand KK wouldnt want to add more work for themselves no matter what.

Also yea, as was said (as i was thinking all along, which i probably should have stated), certain ones only, populated areas only, no signs being hacked in OZ, or just where ever.

MuggleMind
13-05-06, 01:20
Maybe one way would be that a hacker would enter his/her handle - as a way to show that they had beaten the system. This would be automatically generated by the server. After 24 hours (game time?) the screen would revert to the normal adverts. I guess the text could be in some stylised font too.

Heavyporker
13-05-06, 19:43
I love this idea, but I must set down very firm "suggestions" that would encourage KK to take up this idea.

Premises:

- Hacking holosigns shouldn't take more than one high-level hacker.

- The hacker will have to fight his way to the sector/area where the holosign is nearby. E.G - Hacker wants to affect a holosign in Plaza Four or N.E.X.T HQ, he will have to go to N.E.X.T Mainframe. Hacker wants to affect a holosign in M.B. Bunker, he has to go hack into M.B Mainframe. He wants to hack a holosign at, say, Jeriko, he'll have to go to that outpost's hacknet analogue.

- The hacker cannot guarantee which holosign gets hacked. If the sector/area has multiple holosigns, the hack will only effect a random holosign.

- Since synchronizing and/or uploading new images would strain the servers too much, hackers may only put up text-messages on the hacked holosign, which will randomly display amongst the holosign's ads/images.

- 25 word limit in text in one standardized font (arial/ new times roman) with a 5 character limit for the signature line below message body in one slightly stylized but standardized font (courier, terminal, etc).

- The hacked holosign will have an automatic repair subroutine run every 6 hours real-time that deletes the hacker's message from the holosign.

yavimaya
14-05-06, 03:59
Very good refinements HP.
I do believe hackers need more to do outside of hacknet, it would be nice if there could something small hackers can do by hacking the sign itself, what i dont know.
Otherwise, very nice way of doing it with hacknet, as long as there are actually corresponding zones for places like P1, since that would probably be the most hacked.

I also dont know if 6 hours is long enough, especially when the option of abuse comes into it. 6 hours doesnt guarentee that a GM will be on to see it before it resets.