PDA

View Full Version : DIY subtitles

nobby
09-05-06, 16:04
My dad is deaf, I have some stuff my dad wants to watch but he can't hear it, soooo I was wondering, which is the best DIY subtitle program/easiest to use?

Pantho
09-05-06, 16:19
there is somewhere, cant remember where. a website that has subtitles that people have made, availalable to download:/, maybe some1 else can help or google :/

cRazy-
09-05-06, 16:22
Do Americans have Teletext or any similar service?

Bugs Gunny
09-05-06, 16:36
Well, if you can find movies in DIVX format there is allways VOBSUB to merge it into the movie. There's quite a few websites that have english subtitles for movies and series in .srt format.

Most dvd players that play Mpeg4 or divx also automaticaly include the .srt file as subtitles when it has the exact same name as the divx file.

nobby
09-05-06, 16:40

They do have subtitles, Can't remember what I had to press when I was in Florida...

Pantho
09-05-06, 16:43

Crazy, "Location = England", ya nib

nobby
09-05-06, 17:08

Eugh...
How could Crazy think I'm American???

cRazy-
09-05-06, 17:12

[ edited ], I was asking a completely seperate question I was curious to know the answer for.

Mr Kot
09-05-06, 21:32
What format is this 'stuff' you want to show your dad?

cRazy-
09-05-06, 21:41
[ edited ], I was asking a completely seperate question I was curious to know the answer for.

Lodar do you even know what Gort means?

And if you do could you tell me because I'm really not sure myself. Plus what I said was a joke.

nobby
10-05-06, 01:30
What format is this 'stuff' you want to show your dad?

.AVI

FUCKING The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Heavyporker
10-05-06, 05:55
I'm deaf.

The American type of subtitling television (and VCR tapes) is called closed captioning.

For something like computer video clips, I'm pretty sure you have to get the text file of the subtitling and attach it to the file. If you want to do it yourself (listen and transcribe the dialogue) you're pretty much on your own.

This is why I've been waiting forever for a decent speech-to-text computer program. Be fucking awesome to just run it at the same time as a video, and read it out at the same time or later.

edit - oh, and when you're fiddling with the T.V, it's CC1 under the captioning option in the menu. Sometimes the captioning option is hidden away in the display menu. Very annoying. Also, watch out for CC2, since it is for spanish, I think.