PDA

View Full Version : wOOt Martial arts

cRazy-
07-05-06, 07:13
Well I'm still doing Jujitsu slowly through the Dan's and now I want to try something new.

Does anyone else do any Martial arts? I'm probably going to move onto Karate next since I want to start learning techniques with weapons (always enjoyed it more then hand-to-hand) and maybe look into Kung fu, Its shitty when used in street fighting for example but it looks good so I'm happy.

.hack//sign
07-05-06, 07:36
http://sta.umbc.edu/orgs/jujitsu/images/throw_crop.jpg

dos'nt that look painful?

jini
07-05-06, 07:45
here's what you need:

Jodo
07-05-06, 07:49
Why has the guy on the right got a slice of his leg missing? o_O

Vae Victis
07-05-06, 11:52
Why has the guy on the right got a slice of his leg missing? o_Oyeh i sliced it and roasted it on the bbq -_-

looks fkkn weird whatever it is

go hire the movie called "Ong Bak" or something.
that martial arts they do there is really sweet.
that guy hits with nothing but his elbows and knees. plus he does some impossible moves as we've tried them out after watching :D
(our m8 has a black belt in some martial arts that I cant spell and too lazy to look up for it, he came closest in doing them, but not nearly close enough)

http://www.duke.edu/web/film/screensociety/MA_Ong-Bak.jpg

http://www.foolishpeople.com/photos/uncategorized/ong_bak_1.jpg

RogerRamjet
07-05-06, 12:41
Ong Bak Is The Fucking Pawnage.

That fight in the fight-club thing where he just smacks the guy in the face, haha.

Scanner Darkly
07-05-06, 12:44
here's what you need:

Preparation: eat your way through Italy, France, Spain and the Mid West and you will be ready to start your training, Daniel san.

I have a couple of years of jiu-jitsu under my belt, and have been looking to find a decent dojo in NW London. First I gotta ditch my paunch - so started hitting the temple of Ahnold 3 or 4 times a week!

I've always been tempted by Jeet Kune Do. Anyone have any experience in that?

cRazy-
07-05-06, 13:42
http://sta.umbc.edu/orgs/jujitsu/images/throw_crop.jpg

dos'nt that look painful?

Yeah Jujitsu is all self-defense throws and holds (at least thats what its focused on), so you end up going flying in every possible direction.

But when your training obviously theirs foam mats in the floor, so it doesnt hurt when you get thrown etc. What does hurt however is when you're too close to the edge of the mats, miss them and end up hitting knuckles/knees/elbows/heads off the solid concrete floor.

Dogface
07-05-06, 15:39
What do you want to use MA for? Self-defence, fitness, something to impress ladies with?

[edit]

I've always been tempted by Jeet Kune Do. Anyone have any experience in that?

JKD is fuckin' hard.

[edit again]

Crazy, PMs.

aKe`cj
07-05-06, 16:32
I would've said Aikido as it is based on bokken & jo techniques and therefore involves both in training.
But since you're more after something that looks tough and probably something that features artistic bunny-hopping,
consider this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29H6sVUkvlM)

Dogface
07-05-06, 16:43
Aikido is actually one of the few martial arts out there that are worth doing.

yuuki
07-05-06, 17:05
what about arnis, features blades, sticks and stuff you can find at home like towels or pencils and uses the balisong (aka butterfly knife). movement is mainly from the upper body, so not as artistic as kung fu and stuff, but uses grapples holds and nerve strikes as well

cRazy-
07-05-06, 17:12
I would've said Aikido as it is based on bokken & jo techniques and therefore involves both in training.
But since you're more after something that looks tough and probably something that features artistic bunny-hopping,

Pwn.

I've always had an interest in Martial Arts, I do it pretty much for self defense, to keep fit and as a hobby.

Dribble Joy
07-05-06, 18:44
I've allways been thinking of starting something like Taijitsu. But I am too old now.

Dogface
07-05-06, 18:47
Psh, nonesense DJ.

I know a guy whos older than 65 and still attends class.

Dribble Joy
07-05-06, 18:59
To old to start. I'm 24 in september, and things started falling apart years ago.

XaNToR
07-05-06, 19:28
Jujitsu isnt very effective in my opinion. a classmate is doing it since 4 years and he is still unable to defend himself ..*cough* :rolleyes:

If u want to learn something effective, do kung fu, kickboxing or freestyle..

if u are very strong, and got total control of ur body.. u should try some capuera...it is much fun.. but u really need a very good body tension

CMaster
07-05-06, 19:30
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4680817823536270844
Try that one.

pabz
07-05-06, 19:31
i did tae kwon do

cRazy-
07-05-06, 19:33
Jujitsu isnt very effective in my opinion. a classmate is doing it since 4 years and he is still unable to defend himself ..*cough* :rolleyes:

If u want to learn something effective, do kung fu, kickboxing or freestyle..

if u are very strong, and got total control of ur body.. u should try some capuera...it is much fun.. but u really need a very good body tension

Its true about Jujitsu, It's the most effective Martial Art if you get them on the floor, however in an adrenaline induced street fight (for example being attacked/mugged) the moves are FAR too intrecate to perform.

Seems like theres quite a few people who do Martial arts on this forum, we should all meet and go kick another forums ass.

Dogface
07-05-06, 20:06
Along with watching Anime TV and talking Japanese while running the marathon, don't forget :lol:

Carbonite
07-05-06, 20:37
Aikido is actually one of the few martial arts out there that are worth doing.

True..

wanna try something that looks good and is damn hard try Capouera <- not sure if its spelled right.

cRazy-
07-05-06, 20:40
True..

wanna try something that looks good and is damn hard try Capouera <- not sure if its spelled right.

Thats what Xantor mentioned.

I cant find anything on Capouera or Capuera but when I search for it Capoeira returns a few hits, dunno if its the same or Capouera/Capuera is just fairly unknown.

Koshinn
07-05-06, 20:45
If you wanna impress people, capoeira is definate something to try. It's.. well.. dancing.

cRazy-
07-05-06, 21:00
If you wanna impress people, capoeira is definate something to try. It's.. well.. dancing.

Meh.

I really want a Martial Art which looks impressive because I consider it a deterrent if I'm ever in a fight, it can also scare people a bit which makes them less efficent. However if I do some funky 'attack me and I'll rip your legs off' dance, then the person actually comes to attack I dont want to end up getting shit on.

I've been talking to Dogface about Kung Fu though and it seems pretty good, I'll be looking into it.

Heavyporker
07-05-06, 21:04
Oh damn!

This thread just hit one of my current issues.

I took a quarter in Judo. That was a lot of fun, pretty invigorating for me because now I actually know a couple moves to try to defend myself.

Now I'm agonizing over Akikdo, taking basic Judo again, or Karate.

My concern is sheer practicality - what can I take for effective self-defense but also overall fitness without having to hit the gym every damn day.

I've been going online about this, but info is kind of... not helping me. Also, I read that Judo is just a sport, the actual technique behind it is Akikdo or something. Is that right?

rob444
07-05-06, 21:28
Poison touch! (one of the names for it)

giga191
07-05-06, 22:17
if i went back into martial arts, i'd prolly go for a weapon orientated style.

weapons > all

Heavyporker
07-05-06, 22:50
You can't rely on always having a weapon handy, giga.

yuuki
07-05-06, 23:02
actually the best self defense is fast running anyways :p

Foo
07-05-06, 23:37
Bujinkan (Ninjitsu) is what i have started learning . It was either that or aikido , But for my line of work and after speaking with other door supervisors they recomended Bujinkan. I plan to go visit japan this year and train with Soke Masaaki Hatsumi who is the grandmaster. I would say either aikido or bujinkan both seem nice arts (I checked out a few classes before going for bujinkan).

The problem i saw with aikido , is it's all about defense and doesn't realy teach you much about offense there for not realy prepareing you for it when some one comes at you. But bujinkan teaches both and is ideal for me and my line of work. Check out google video im sure there's ton's of video's on there or search google for Bujinkan//Ninjitsu and if you watched that Mind,Body and Kick Ass Move's on TV(Granted the host is realy some expert) then you would of saw some amazing art's.

Heavyporker
07-05-06, 23:50
Hmmm... well, I can't go to Japan to learn ninja arts, mmkay?

I guess my only option here at college is to go for aikido since the general consensus seems to favor it over karate and judo.

I wonder, though, if bujinkan is taught around here in Ohio. I guess I'll have to do some googling.

Foo
07-05-06, 23:54

I guess my only option here at college is to go for aikido since the general consensus seems to favor it over karate and judo.

I wonder, though, if bujinkan is taught around here in Ohio. I guess I'll have to do some googling.

hmm? , there is more then enough dojo's over here that teach it (Ninjitsu//Bujinkan), i travel to the one in hammersmith (Is a long journey for me now but is worth it) .

Edit , ok my bad didn't notice you was state side , do a google search cause i know for sure there is loads of dojo's in the USA that teach bujinkan//ninjitsu.

Good luck ;)

Dogface
08-05-06, 00:04
actually the best self defense is fast running anyways :p

That's always what my instructor told me :p

Dogface
08-05-06, 00:05

Definately Aikido. No questions asked.

Clobber
08-05-06, 02:05
I always thought people who did martial arts were the loners who got bullied at school and took it up to protect themselves. Trouble is they would wave hands about then get twatted even more than if they took it on the chin in the first place.

giga191
08-05-06, 11:15
You can't rely on always having a weapon handy, giga. you can't rely on a lot of things...

Riddle
08-05-06, 15:05
If i asked you what was the best weapon a Grenade or a Knife?

would you say Grenade?......... what if you where in a Phonebox?

Choose a style which reflects your abilities and interest.

karate in it's many forms involves a lot of Leg work through kicks etc. so will require a certain amount of flexibility beyond that of the normal, are you supple? Do you like to work at distance? Strength is an issue - Hard Style

Kung Fu in its many forms involves styles based around animal forms encompassing some very striking positions again requiring suppleness and a certain amount of strength. - Soft Style

Aikido/Jujitsu involve close combat situations such as locks, grapples and throws. These styles allow the use of the bodies weak points and in the more subtle techniques require minimum strength to impact great pain. Are you of slighter build? Do you like close combat? - Both Soft/Hard

Then there are hybrids of the styles most notably Jeet Kune Do which aims at
utilising snippets from all styles to effect a total combat style. Covers most distances encompassed in a fight, utilising what you need to to Win :D .

For example most Proficient Karate Experts will rule a fight at distance but in issolation will get ripped apart should an expert in aikido get inside!

Pick a style that suits you and accomadate what you need. Do not remain rigid in what you learn, for each style will suit each an individual differently and each style has its pro's and cons.

Heavyporker
08-05-06, 16:51
Well, I'm on the large side, but I do have a bit of flexibility. But I don't really trust myself in grappling, mainly because I've never had to do it. I guess I didn't do too badly in Judo, where you've got a lot of throws, but these were practice throws. Hardly comparable to the real world. I do, however, have a fair bit of strength. I guess I'll have to look up what's available for my schedule. Got to say, I like the idea of karate, but there's a lot of strong pressure for aikido from this thread.

Obsidian X
08-05-06, 18:24
I spent some time studying Go-Kan-Ryu, which is a Karate based hybrid form of martial arts (did some basic throws and weapons training too). It was dependant on the instructors (mine was black belt in Shotokan and Judo and integrated elements of both into his training). I sustained a hip injury at the time which badly effected my flexibility and balance, which meant I had to give it up. I'd love to pick up a martial art again at some point.

giga191
08-05-06, 18:27
Well, I'm on the large side. any decent instructor will kill you in the first session.

Kenpo
08-05-06, 19:37
Well I'm still doing Jujitsu slowly through the Dan's and now I want to try something new.

Does anyone else do any Martial arts? I'm probably going to move onto Karate next since I want to start learning techniques with weapons (always enjoyed it more then hand-to-hand) and maybe look into Kung fu, Its shitty when used in street fighting for example but it looks good so I'm happy.
Karate's pretty good if you get in a good club, but to be honest a lot of karate clubs focus to much of "sport karate" fighting in point competitions and stuff, which is ok, but to go and focus on that is crap.

i used to do kungfu for a number of years and its tough, not at all like the crap you see on films, we also had incorporated a number of ju-jitsu moves(the guy in charge of the club was also a Sandan in Juko-ryu ju-jitsu) and it was tough but i loved it, only left because of how hard it was to get black belt.

couple of brown belts had been there 15 years and no closer to getting it, you needed to know around 500 techniques to get he black which wasnt a problem but didnt matter how well you knew them just didnt seem to want to put people forward for blackbelt so i left and joined karate.

i have to admit i love the contact sparring/fighting aspect of kungfu/karate but i have found kata so much more enjoyable than i figured it ever would be.

i do shotokan karate which has i think 21 kata and i can spent hours just going through them breaking them down learning the uses of each part of the kata.

however going back to for yourself, it really depends on what your looking for, as you have already done a art with locks/ holds/ takedowns in abundance, id personally stay away from judo/aikido seeing as they are off a similar nature locks hold throws etc.

karate is more based on punches and kicks, though when you learn the katas more indepth there is a lot more to it than that, really its just about how much you apply your self to it, and seeing as you have already a few dans under your belt should be no problem for you.

i will say this thou the hardest part when learning a new style is when in lessons try to not do things the way you know them from previous experience at your old art.

as for jeet kun do, i have to admit ive seen it a few times but never impressed me.

the art i would love to do is american kenpo(that Ed Parker "created" )however in the uk theres not many clubs that practice it( proberbly because of the american in front of the art)

i didnt read past page one as im about to leave work(funny enough im off to my karate class once i finish)so if anything ive said has been covered apoligies

edit: dunno if DJSkum is still around but he could back me up on the kungfu front

Kierz
08-05-06, 20:17
i did tae kwon doim doing that now, tis alright.

good if you like being fast and able to kick well

sanityislost
08-05-06, 20:33

Aikido is really fun, used to goto classes at high school...shame i cant remember any of it tho :lol:

SiL ..:..

pabz
08-05-06, 20:42
im doing that now, tis alright.

good if you like being fast and able to kick well
i hated doing paterns and learning korean...

Apocalypsox
08-05-06, 20:57
Martial Arts are for noobs. unless your fighting fucking Neo, try to take down a 12 gauge toting gangsta with your fists. it doesnt work well. :lol:

oh and Grenades > knifes. i would rather blow myself up.

(and you forget grenades weigh a little bit. just hit the fucker over the head with it!)

nobby
08-05-06, 22:18
Whats that martial arts where you can pick locks with your voice and make people suddenly fall over...

cRazy-
08-05-06, 22:56
Whats that martial arts where you can pick locks with your voice and make people suddenly fall over...

'Your imagination Fu'.

After some Investigation I'm looking towards some form of Kung Fu, seems to suit my criteria well.

Archa Ic
09-05-06, 00:35
If you want a complete martial art, you should try ninjutsu from the Bujinkan school, with Hartsumi Sensei currently as the Soke.

Get over the ninja stereotype, and try! :)

Bujinkan is very complete: Throws, Direct Hits, Moves, Immobilsations...

I do that, and i LUV it! :)

Dribble Joy
09-05-06, 01:30
Didn't Hatsumi rename ninjutsu to budo taijutsu because of the western common (mis)perception of ninjas? :p

Foo
09-05-06, 06:47
Didn't Hatsumi rename ninjutsu to budo taijutsu because of the western common (mis)perception of ninjas? :p

Yes or Bujinkan http://www.bujinkan.com/

If you want a complete martial art, you should try ninjutsu from the Bujinkan school, with Hartsumi Sensei currently as the Soke.Get over the ninja stereotype, and try!

Bujinkan is very complete: Throws, Direct Hits, Moves, Immobilsations...

I do that, and i LUV it!

i just started learning it , and it is a great art ;)

RogerRamjet
09-05-06, 11:58
I think you should learn Yoga.

Or maybe Feng Shui.

Kenpo
09-05-06, 13:42
Martial Arts are for noobs. unless your fighting fucking Neo, try to take down a 12 gauge toting gangsta with your fists. it doesnt work well. :lol:

oh and Grenades > knifes. i would rather blow myself up.

(and you forget grenades weigh a little bit. just hit the fucker over the head with it!)
funny that because a lot of the first generation martial arts masters are all former army guys.

say that 12 gauge of yours doesnt go off what you gonna do then.

Joe Lewis(karate/kickboxer not the boxer) was teaching hand to hand in vietnam before returning to america to teach karate.

other guys like Gary Alexander and Chuck Norris for example were all army guys, people who had trained to use guns but knew how to defend themself without weapons, if they had such an overwelming confidense in weapons they would never of felt the need to learn martial arts.

unreal
09-05-06, 13:55
Doing the almighty drom kick-to-the-face > martial arts.

RaekOne
09-05-06, 15:25
A very good real life mate of mine does Muay Thai, the same martial arts from Ong Bak, check his website http://www.muaythailand.com/index.php for inspiration

DarkPhoenix
10-05-06, 21:55
An example of Jeet Kun Do (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cmRQtu8vrKs&search=jkd) for those interested.

Another (http://youtube.com/watch?v=THJIXq64R60&search=Jeetkunedo)

I'd love to try this.

Heavyporker
10-05-06, 23:32
By Crahn's itchy left nut, Feng Shui is an aesthetic for interior decoration, not a martial art! Grrr!

And don't get me started on Yoga.

I want to avoid spagetti-like spines, that's why I'm looking at a martial art, not yoga.

Koshinn
11-05-06, 00:27
"Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon."

Dribble Joy
11-05-06, 01:05
Feng Shui is an aesthetic for interior decoration, not a martial art! Grrr!
The origins of Feng Shui are actually based in a very practicle martial art, the forms and movements practiced show a high degree of knowledge about human physiology. It's necessity as a fighting style has diminished over the years though, added to the fact that many teachers or serious students of an art will wrap it in mysticism and the supernatural, little is really known about it's mechanisms.

RogerRamjet
11-05-06, 01:12
Yeh im a feng shui master you know, i channel all the earths energy.

This is what happened to my last opponent:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/PACMunchkin/WorldChampionSmall.gif

As you can see very effective. Dont mess with planet earth.

Dribble Joy
11-05-06, 01:23
Well... boss-eyed ginger people aren't too hard to beat...

/runs

RogerRamjet
11-05-06, 01:26
Yeh, but he thought he was ready to take on the world.

Doc Holliday
11-05-06, 02:18
i got close to my black belt in wado-ryu ( karate for the uneducated. one style of it anyways ) did some street fighting but only nunchaku for weapons fighting. werent allowed to do anything else due to my age but karate is great fun and well worth it. the beauty of a well performed routine is the best bit although ive seen a few amazing competitions between people.

Ps. Ong bak really does fucking own. ive seen most of it since ive been away travelling and its been on tv and really wanna see it all proper. the little dude is so fucking hard its not funny. great film. well worth watching. muay thai at its best. better than kick boxer lets put it like that. :D

Vae Victis
12-05-06, 18:25
Ps. Ong bak really does fucking own. ive seen most of it since ive been away travelling and its been on tv and really wanna see it all proper. the little dude is so fucking hard its not funny. great film. well worth watching. muay thai at its best. better than kick boxer lets put it like that. :DTheres a new movie coming out with the same actor, called Tom Yum Goong or something, read half of the article though -_^

Legend Of The Pit Fighter = sweet.
rented that movie and that guy hits hard, unbelievable, kicks this guy's eye out of his socket.

Ong-Bak still is the best fight movie I've seen though.
(and that includes American Ninja1, 2 and 3 :lol: )

Saiboku
12-05-06, 18:54
ong - bak, unleashed and equilibrium have the best fighting scences i think.

after chuck norris - walker, texas ranger.

sanityislost
12-05-06, 21:10
Best Fight Scene ever Click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVRlHEE5LKU&search=oldboy)

RogerRamjet
13-05-06, 02:38
Oldboy is one fucked up film.

FACT.

Vae Victis
13-05-06, 02:48
ong - bak, unleashed and equilibrium have the best fighting scences i think.

after chuck norris - walker, texas ranger.theres this film but i cant remember its name... its about a class of chinese boys/girls that are sent to this island to kill eachother, the survivor gets a free ticket home, but its all fucked up.

that movie is the win:D

RogerRamjet
13-05-06, 02:48
theres this film but i cant remember its name... its about a class of chinese boys/girls that are sent to this island to kill eachother, the survivor gets a free ticket home, but its all fucked up.

that movie is the win:D

Battle Royale, you n000bz0r.

sanityislost
13-05-06, 03:08
Oldboy & Battle Royale fucking own

cRazy-
13-05-06, 03:33
Well back to the original point of this thread, I have decided I'll probably end up doing Wing Chun (type of Kung Fu for anyone who doesn't know). Now I just have to find a Dojo nearby :/

Doc Holliday
14-05-06, 09:52
battle royale is quality. aint there a guy who enters the tournament for the fun of it?

RogerRamjet
14-05-06, 12:36
battle royale is quality. aint there a guy who enters the tournament for the fun of it?

Theres 2 i think, 2 older kids who've been in previous ones, or something.

Vae Victis
14-05-06, 17:02
1 enters for fun, hes the one going on killing spree, fucking maniac.

the other enters cuz he won the last BR, though he didnt want to enter iirc.

the last one helps out these 2 others.

BR2 is even better.
seen 20 mins of it :D

yuuki
15-05-06, 01:16
I think you'll become unbeatable if you master the nunchakus. (http://www.fasthumor.com/html/Not-Bruce-Lee.html)

On the other hand, knowing how to use a gun (http://www.fasthumor.com/html/Cop-Shoots-Himself-In-Leg.html) can also be extremely helpful.

Foo
17-05-06, 02:46
yeh i sliced it and roasted it on the bbq -_-

looks fkkn weird whatever it is

go hire the movie called "Ong Bak" or something.
that martial arts they do there is really sweet.
that guy hits with nothing but his elbows and knees. plus he does some impossible moves as we've tried them out after watching :D
(our m8 has a black belt in some martial arts that I cant spell and too lazy to look up for it, he came closest in doing them, but not nearly close enough)

http://www.duke.edu/web/film/screensociety/MA_Ong-Bak.jpg

http://www.foolishpeople.com/photos/uncategorized/ong_bak_1.jpg

Have you seen his follow up film ?? 8| 8| 8|
Check out Tom Yum Goong (Ppl are calling it Ong-Bak2 tho fuck knows why he plays a totaly dif person in this). Serious fucking fight sceens init , just as good as ong-bak.

Here's a few clip's

If you haven't seen ong-bak . Here's a teaser :D (http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/1144.html)

And here's a teaser from Tom Yum Goong (http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/560.html)

Check em both out so well worth it.

cRazy-
17-05-06, 03:05
that guy hits with nothing but his elbows and knees.

I'm not surprised, Muay Thai is a Kickboxing style MA developed in Thailand, It's heavily based on Elbow and Knee strikes.