PDA

View Full Version : I really want to like this game, but now I'm so frustrated I'm about to drop it...

Lokita Donagi
06-05-06, 21:26
Serious frustrations:

I hate how the tutorial ends with your death, then drops you back to recreate a brand new character without telling you what the hell happened. My first thought was "that sucks, don't tell me I have to run that stupid tutorial again". Why have me create a character that is just going to die?

I'm in the newbie area in-game now. The tutorial at the Neocron site says:
"From here you will want to go south-southeast, killing any mobs you may find on the way. Our target is the trader camp..."

There are no mobs on the way to the trader camp.

So I hit the trader camp, but there's really nothing there for me at this point. So i go into the first structure on the right as I head back to the base I originated from. I kill the two bots, but take some hits. I allow time for health to regenerate, but at this point I'm at full health but movement is REALLY slow and my vision wobbles. I try to use health pack to fix this, but no effect. As if movement was horribly slow to begin with (guess I'm used to the quickness of Unreal Tournament) this is unbearable.

So I try to search this forum, and the WWW in general, for an answer. Nothing.

Try to ask people ingame. No response.

Try to submit a request to GameMasters. No response.

Other frustrations:

Neo2 Manual PDF says:
Run/Walk is CTRL (it's not, CTRL is duck)

Read on forum that CTRL-E is third person view, it's not.

The amount of reading required for this game is nuts. If I wanted to read a novel, I'd pick up a book. The miniature text is killing my eyes at screen resolution.

To finish up, I really want to like this game - the MMOG universe needs a good scifi world, and cyberpunk is my genre of choice. But so far all I can find in the game is one frustration after another. If anybody can assist, please do!!!!

- Brian

Apocalypsox
06-05-06, 21:38
Well...your character getting deleted at the end of the tutorial is a bug, which you dont have to go through it at all- but its good for new players.

Second- in the beginning, in the area MC5 newbie area, most people just head straight for the GenRep. (leave the main building, turn left for the haxagonial-like-building, it has a Genrep inside it.) and press Teleport to appartment.

Alt-E is third person. not control-e.

run is Shift. hold it or you can press Caplock to keep it on. Autowalk is also the - button. (by backspace)

and ive never heard of the trader camp thing. i would just ignore that...

Sick
06-05-06, 21:51
yeh, there USED to be mobs randomly around MC5, but theyve all moved now, so im guessing that script is old, if you want to find some mobs that arent as hard as the bots, there is a cave i believe, if you go left out the main building and keep going... (also some big spawns further behind the main building)

the reason you run so slow is your guy is rank 0/2 you need to level him, and invest in skills called Athletics, and Agility... which make you run fast.

the other thing is... if your legs arent damaged (you said you were full health)you might be overloaded! if your screens wobbling like your running but your not moving.. your probably overloaded, open your inventory (F2) and check the number at the top right, if its red or below 0.0 your not gunna move fast at all :P try throwing stuff away till it goes yellow or green
(to get more inventory space you need to invest in Transport)

there is alot to learn in this game, same as any mmorpg's .. it may be FPS combat style, but its not a FPS.
most people dont read the manual and just ask on the Help channel
(F1 -> Custom -> Player To Player Help )

have fun... i hope :)

Strife
06-05-06, 23:11
[ edited ]

Napalm82
07-05-06, 12:03
Yes, use the help channel as stated above and remember to be nice when asking for help, if your nice people will often do a lot to help you (Get you some starting items/cash/heal and buff you/show you where to level.

Heres an example:

Say ya need a new weapon, heres what NOT to yell on Help channel
"OMG LIEK MY WEAPON SUX BAWLS! I NEED A BIGGER GUN, SOMEONE GIVE ME MONEY FOR GUNS!"

And the correct way:
"Can anybody help me out, i need a new (Insert weapon style here, like rifle) but im not sure where or how much it costs"

Personally, when i was playing i would go out of my way to help new players, hand them a new weapon and tell them where the party is at.

- Nap

NAPPER
07-05-06, 14:02
yes when i was on my conster i would build new weapons for noobs

ZoVoS
07-05-06, 14:48
u dont die... the copbots take ur body to mc5 where ur brain wiped and u start afresh =\

edit -=- hehe, Fatal system error in unit 13. gammer sector. cryorecreation phase has been interupted ^_^

Mr Kot
07-05-06, 15:37
The whole point of the MC5 place is that you DON'T know what what happened to you. You were blitzed by some copbots in the tutorial, then you awoke in MC5 with your memory erased. You should talk to the various NPCs you see around MC5 for clues. Depending on your allegiance, they will respond in different ways. MC5 is intended to be a bit of a secret, so you will never get a totally straight answer from the NPCs; you will have to read between the lines a bit, but players should be able to fill you in.

As for your runspeed, it has already been mentioned about your agility and athletics skill, but your speed will also be affected by two other factors: being overweight and being injured.

In your F2 inventory window, you will see 2 figures: Max load and Free load. If the free load figure becomes yellow, you are getting laden down and will be slow. When it goes red, you will not be able to move. Get rid of some items in your inventory to free up weight. Drag items out of the window to throw them on the ground. Levelling STRENGTH and adding more points into Transport skill will increase the weight you can carry.

The person-shaped icon at the bottom right of your screen illustrates your health over your 3 'hitboxes'. The graphic is light coloured and becomes darker as you are injured. If your legs go dark, you will be very slow until you can heal up. Adding more points to body health and resists reduce your susceptibility to 'broken legs'. When you have levelled your skills a bit and earned some cash, you should buy armour to protect yourself. Use the highest Tech Level of armour you can use / afford.

As you have already learned, the game has a steep learning curve and is very involved. After all, you don't want a game you can finish in a week, do you? Once you have learned the basics of NC and levelled a bit, you will be hooked for months, even years. There is so much to explore and learn. Patience is a virtue. The game is certainly more enjoyable after you have passed level 30 or so. You will be running faster and using better weapons.

Stay in MC5 as long as it takes to get used to things, then take the GeneReplicator to your apartment to explore the city. In your apartment, i strongly recommend you speak to Mr Jones who will help you learn your way around the city. He may have a little job for you too....

Oh, and i wouldn't bother the Gamemaster request system with 'how do i..?' type questions, that's the players' job. That request thing is only for ingame problems like parts of the game that aren't working as they should.