PDA

View Full Version : Kanji...

nobby
04-05-06, 12:25
I'm having trouble learning Kanji...

There's loads I gotta learn, but I just can't remember them!

What's the best way to learn in your opinion?

I've gotta learn them ready for when I go to Japan in july (If I can persuade my dad still to let me go...)

Glok
04-05-06, 12:26
Nobby wants to learn Japanese in 3 months? Errrr, try a hypnotist. :D

giga191
04-05-06, 12:29
the best way for you to learn is to forget everything you already think you know

-sf-
04-05-06, 13:28
Just go and grind in an intensive course really :)

RogerRamjet
04-05-06, 13:30
Go there without any knowledge.

If you dont learn fast, YOU DIE.

Seraphin[69]
04-05-06, 13:30
And write write write and write them again.

The only way to remember that awful language !

Bugs Gunny
04-05-06, 13:40
Do like i did, get kanji tattoos.
It's like cheating on tests :-)

Sarduin
04-05-06, 13:44
Try this, helped me a bit in Latin. I'd book-translate a monologue or paragraph that I knew by heart (think Darth Vader's "join me" speech in Empire) and copy it out, oh, a hundred times or so. Then start doing it without the original copy. Even if I forgot most of the Latin, I could piece it together from knowing the original. Just keep doing it until you're massively bored of it, then pick another paragraph or monologue and do the same thing. When you're bored of that one, start swapping them.

It's a lot of work, but it's about the fastest way to learn it I could find. It tends to stay with you too. 8|

nobby
04-05-06, 15:21
Nobby wants to learn Japanese in 3 months? Errrr, try a hypnotist. :D

I've been learning for over a year already...

Hiragana...piece of piss!
Katakana, Need a slight revise

Kanji...EUGH!

Dribble Joy
04-05-06, 18:14
Oddly enough I know bugger all hiragana, and nearly all the katakana. I know about two kanji.... the one for mountain :p (Yama).

cRazy-
04-05-06, 18:39
Nobby, teach me Japanese, NOW.

Or at least explain what the differences and definitions are between these words.

Hell-demon
04-05-06, 19:38
Oh great, more Japanaphiles :rolleyes:

Dribble Joy
04-05-06, 22:07
Oh great, more Japanaphiles :rolleyes:
I am far from a Japanophile. I have a deep interest in the culture (though that does not mean I prefer it or would want to live there), and the structure of the language.

Crazy-

Katakana: Alphabet used mainly to spell soud effects and foreign words.
Hiragana: Alphabet used to spell gramatical terms and some words.
Kanji: Characters to spell most words.

Japanese is highly sylabic. Each syllable is generally a constonant followed by one of five vowels. For example: Ka, Te, Go, Chi and Su. The five vowels can appear alone though. There are no single constonant syllables, except 'n' (usually after a voweled syllable, like Kanji), though Su is often pronounced without the '-oo' (the -gozaimasu suffix being pronounced -gozaimas for example).
Each of the Katakana and Hiragana represents one of these.
Children learn the hiragana and katakana first, and then slowly build up their Kanji vocab. Children's books will often have the hiragana written above/beside the Kanji so they know what the word is.

This makes writen Japanese probably one of the most phonetic languages, but highly restrictive if pronouncing foreign words, as you only have the japanese alphabets to word with. Making some words almost impossible to spell properly.

Example:
America. Easy, A-Me-Ri-Ka.
Card. Not so easy, Usually spelt Ka--Do (a hyphon between katakana extends or softens the sound, so you get 'cahd' rather than 'cadd'). As with many words, you will end up with a vowel sound on the end.

RogerRamjet
04-05-06, 22:38
Everyones speaking double Dutch to me.

nobby
04-05-06, 22:39
to me, Japanese seems the easiest and simplest language I've ever tried learning...

RogerRamjet
04-05-06, 22:57
How about english?

I found German easiest, its just english, but angrier, cough what?

nobby
04-05-06, 23:05
nah English grammer = too hard compared to Japanese :p

RogerRamjet
04-05-06, 23:09
nah English grammer = too hard compared to Japanese :p

Err what?

cRazy-
04-05-06, 23:34
to me, Japanese seems the easiest and simplest language I've ever tried learning...

America. Easy, A-Me-Ri-Ka.

If its as easy as that I'm gonna start learning it asap tbh.

But what about vocab and speaking the language, is it as easy? much more difficult? different rules or what.

Dogface
04-05-06, 23:39
I swear the NC community is just one person posing as like 50 different people on 50 different accounts..

Someone posts a thread about anime stuff:

"Oh yeah awesome we all like anime when Dogface has never heard anyone ever talk about it.."

Then someone needs help with Japanese and you all suddenly speak it o_O

Other stuff too..

Dribble Joy
04-05-06, 23:44
If its as easy as that I'm gonna start learning it asap tbh.

But what about vocab and speaking the language, is it as easy? much more difficult? different rules or what.
The problem I have with learning languages is that I have a terrible memory and am useless with vocab.

Japanese grammar is much simpler than English grammar (though there are problems with the high amount of contextual stuff, making direct translations hard if the context is unknown). The hard bit is the written stuff, there are over 4000 kanji.

RogerRamjet
05-05-06, 00:01
Just speak the universal language.

English, loud, and very slow.

Accompanied by lots of pointing.

cRazy-
05-05-06, 00:26
Nobby learn me Japanese.

NOW.

nobby
05-05-06, 00:51
meh...If someone would pay me over paypal for a month of my NC account and reactivation...then I'll do a Japanese lesson in an apartment.

*Pokes KK to patch in Japanese Font letters!*

eLcHi
05-05-06, 11:26
*shakes his head*

Why you all learning japanese ???

Go for chinese FFS ! Emerging markets n stuff ! Chinese is the future !

:P

nobby
05-05-06, 12:25
TOO HARD!

Mo horse
mo.. jump
mo- shoot
Mo door

Forget it, chinese = poo
Japanese = Teh L33t

Assimilator
05-05-06, 13:00
The one advantage to Chinese is that there's no "conjugation". If you want to talk about the past, just put the past time (yesterday, last year) and say the sentence like normal.

Whereas for JPN, you've got "past tense" like any other language... But that's not all... For certain actions - I want something, Can I do this, I heard from someone - they ALL have different conjugations.

The biggest drawback for CHN is that each word has a character... That's alot of characters to memorize 8|

n3m
05-05-06, 13:05
I swear the NC community is just one person posing as like 50 different people on 50 different accounts..

Someone posts a thread about anime stuff:

"Oh yeah awesome we all like anime when Dogface has never heard anyone ever talk about it.."

Then someone needs help with Japanese and you all suddenly speak it o_O

Other stuff too..
Yeah it's like the people playing CS, and everyone knowing everything there is to know about guns and bullets.

google ;)