PDA

View Full Version : check this....

jini
03-05-06, 05:51
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
Damn... Even there ads are revolutionary :)

Apocalypsox
03-05-06, 06:16
that was............strange. o_O

yavimaya
03-05-06, 07:00
Whos what where?
I see nothng. :(

nobby
03-05-06, 08:43
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Nah....

not spectacular enough for me ! :p

l8m0n
03-05-06, 10:13
Anyone who thinks a mac is better than a PC should be shot at birth imo ;)

RogerRamjet
03-05-06, 12:29
Anyone who thinks a mac is better than a PC should be shot at birth imo ;)

A heart warming notion.

CMaster
03-05-06, 12:41

We've been through this before: the only thing Apple does that is "revolutionary" is marketing. The rest is all copying good ideas from elsewhere and changing them from good ideas into sucessful ideas.
Also, oh-so-clever quicktime (GRRR) started playing the video, then brought up a dialog box with an "ok" button only and nothing else. Then it got rid of the visual part and just played the sound.

Bugs Gunny
03-05-06, 12:59
I'm not an owner of a macintosh, but i've visited a macintosh store in las vegas and that changed my mind about he machines.
I sometimes wish macintosh was the standard. It's far better, more stable and a hell of a lot faster than a windows machine.

Oh, and it even looks better.

CMaster
03-05-06, 13:03
They have their strengths. That said, I rearely have trouble with stability of windows machines these days - although individual software always goes under from time to time. I'm more intrigued that the current Apples cost approximatley twice the equivilantly specced PC (although they do seem to have nice screens) and people using Boot Camp are reporting better performance under Windows. Although I'll bet they are still reporting better ease of use under OSX.

Asurmen Spec Op
03-05-06, 14:22
I dont see how windows having more virus is any indication of how flawed it is compared to Macs.
If 90%ish of people use a PC why the fuck make a virus for macs?

Glok
03-05-06, 14:26
Macs are an ivory tower, Mac users can be smug with their ownership of the best computers available to the general public... all by themselves. :lol:
I'm more intrigued that the current Apples cost approximatley twice the equivilantly specced PC

forcefullpower
03-05-06, 14:33
Mac's have as many problems as PC's do.

It's because hardly any people use them that you don's see whining on forums about them crashing & hanging.

The people that say how great Macs are are Mac lovers.
If they are so great why are we using windows.

Macs can talk to anything better than a PC. Don't make me laugh i can tell you shit loads of things that don't work with macs.

Unless you have a top of the range mac you might as well forget it.
Check the price out.

You have fallen for the hype the sales man told you.

Bugs Gunny
03-05-06, 14:37
I didn't even speak to the salesman.

I work with windows machines every day, i get alot of people calling about problems etc.
Now i'm sure macs also have their issues, but they have far less issues.

And the reason why we're not all using macs is because of microsofts agressive strategies, and their stealing/buying of technology and ideas from other companies.

forcefullpower
03-05-06, 14:42
The reason you get more problems is because of the users of windows not because of windows.

You get all those people using macs instead of windows and you have the same about of problems with macs.

The problem is called "USERS"

giga191
03-05-06, 15:43
I don't agree with the advert. It got it all wrong. If they called themselves OS X and windows XP, or apple and microsoft then perhaps it would be more accurate.

RogerRamjet
03-05-06, 15:49
Whats a Mac?

jini
04-05-06, 05:47
Mac is the guy on the right... The cool one :lol:

giga191
04-05-06, 12:36
Mac is the guy on the right... The cool one :lol: the one with the beard who you shouldn't trust...

-FN-
04-05-06, 19:23
OS X is based on Debian Linux and is a hell of a lot secure than Windows will ever dream to be. OS X 10.2 and greater runs in OpenGL - meaning a fully 3D desktop all the time. The new Intel platform-based OS X machines run Windows faster than some Intel chipsets according to benchmarks - and even if not, it's just as fast. At my job we have about 50% Macs for Graphic Design and 50% PCs for the business end so I'm used to both. Each has their pros and cons.

I'd gladly take a G5 over *any* PC for multimedia purposes. It comes with a remote and a cinematic display that completely blows away any Windows Media version... as long as I can dual boot into Windows for other purposes ;) And has anyone ever used OS X apps like Garage Band? Good luck finding anything on the Windows platform rivalling some of the OS X apps that are incredibly robust, yet SIMPLE.

Hell-demon
04-05-06, 19:45
I'm sure I've seen the Mac guy hanging outside the school by my area lurring kids into his van :p

jini
05-05-06, 05:55
The funny thing is, that as it seems apple is developing a technology called "virtuality" that will allow someone to run both OSes at the same time. This will eventually help Windows overcome its problems from viruses, spyware and Trojan attacks and finally might release microsoft from the struggle of never ending security patches

Jodo
05-05-06, 06:18
Yeah, or drag Mac's down with them... :rolleyes:

Glok
05-05-06, 06:24
Yeah or when all the crackers finding holes in windows turn on the Mac their little fairy land will be ruined.

jini
05-05-06, 06:49
Yeah or when all the crackers finding holes in windows turn on the Mac their little fairy land will be ruined.
Yeah, well good luck trying to bypass security on Unix. You really believe if there was a way, hackers wouldn't have found already? Mac OSX rules in graphics already. It always did.

Jodo, this is not an option for apple. It's only two choices:
a. stay where it is today
b. propel sales investing in the obvious concept "one machine does all".
Remember, it's only 3 large manufacturers left that build computers:
Dell, Hp and Apple. And from what I hear, Apple just beat Dell's market capitalisation...

Glok
05-05-06, 06:55
Unix can be cracked just like everything else. But the people who do that are generally after bigger fish than a home user, especially since Unix is often used on mission critical equipment, and they are very good at covering their tracks. And when they aren't so good at covering their tracks, you still don't hear about it.

jini
05-05-06, 07:07
Unix can be cracked just like everything else. But the people who do that are generally after bigger fish than a home user, especially since Unix is often used on mission critical equipment, and they are very good at covering their tracks. And when they aren't so good at covering their tracks, you still don't hear about it.
you mean apple is not a big fish in digital media/ graphics/multimedia?
ipods/itunes? (80% market share) isn't big fish?
Viruses exist because there is a vulnerable OS out there.
I have the opportunity of running both OSes side by side. Just for fun, I did an experiment: I tried to run an XP pc w/o ANY antivirus/antispyware, just the firewall from my router. This configuration lasted for 4 months or so, cant recall precisely. then I was attacked by a trojan. Mac OS runs without anything of course. But in general there's hardly a way to tell what will hapen if... i can only comment on what its happening already

Glok
05-05-06, 07:34
Yeah they definitely own the multimedia side of the market. I meant more industrial/corporate fish, the ones with secrets. I agree XP is swiss cheese, not gonna argue that one. But if Bill Gates becomes a pauper (as he should be) the attentions of hardcore crackers are going to be directed elsewhere.

jini
05-05-06, 08:14
The usual hacker, wants to attack mass markets. There's no way to stop industrial espionage in OS level I guess, neither is it easy (I can bring as an example recent attack in Vodafone in Greece. A scandal that still shocks the government). But mass market, vulnerable systems, mass attacks and inexperienced users like most of us are, are really easy targets, while a good designed OS can surely help. And sadly this is exactly what we lack with windows. If you can stop for a while and think what's missing from this OS and that you need to invest easily some 200$ more in s/w to fill holes, not to mention a hefty price tag in M$....

Clive tombstone
05-05-06, 08:21
/Signed to glock^^

Believe me when I say this, NO system is 100% safe. NONE! The code was written by man, and just like all other things created by man, It can be exploited, **********, and destroyed, just like a PC. Ill admit, the trad O.S. like XP for example, is easy to do, for a few reasons. Its outdated. yes I said it, out dated. Mac IS a nice step in a new direction (notice I didnt say great) and its fairly new (only a few years old) where traditional O.S's are getting close to a decade old now, thats a hell of a long time to come up with all sorts of nasty things to hurt your little metalic friend.

Macs will be no different in the future when focus is placed uppon them (of course other wise if that whole merge between the two platforms takes full effect)

Ill admit, At college we have Mac AND PC labs, my prim 3d tools are all on the PC rigs, since, well, the Macs are just sub par for modeling, where as all my graphic design stuff (Photoshop, illustrator, etc) is all done on macs (yes there GREAT for graphic design, nice tablet settins and whot not).

Ill bring up more issues tommorrow, Ive been up all day workin on my midterm. Later

Ps-Ever notice how mac owners tend to be total bitches? Just a minor speculation ammoungst fellow students :D

nobby
05-05-06, 08:31
Whats a Mac?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QXH2IDc67Bs&search=apple%20commercial

This is a Mac :p :lol: :p

Glok
05-05-06, 08:38
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QXH2IDc67Bs&search=apple%20commercial

This is a Mac :p :lol: :pOk that was amusing, but I think that dude is functionally retarded.

jini
05-05-06, 09:15
I like this video. This guy is hilarious.

Dogface
05-05-06, 11:06
Believe me when I say this, NO system is 100% safe. NONE!

My machine when it was running AOL was totally safe, I mean come on, I couldn't even get a connection with it ! :p

giga191
05-05-06, 11:42
My machine when it was running AOL was totally safe, I mean come on, I couldn't even get a connection with it ! :p i could still have run into your house with an axe and given your PC a wack....that's the new future of hacking

jini
05-05-06, 16:25
/Signed to glock^^

Believe me when I say this, NO system is 100% safe. NONE!
I believe you dont shout :D
Thing is, that XP is 100% UNsafe :lol: Anyway like I said, I/We can only speak for the present and present is what it is right now. Maybe tomorrow a bomb might fall maybe not, maybe Giga become at last a Vet, maybe not, only time will tell us ;)

giga191
05-05-06, 17:16
maybe Giga become at last a Vet altho i think my cat is quite cute, i don't think i would ever want to look after animals as a job

Scanner Darkly
05-05-06, 19:03
I can't here anything, the 80s rock music here is too loud. No I'm not a Peter Gabriel concert, though if I close my eyes it sure seems like it.

Jini you've always been such an Apple fanboi! :p

jini
05-05-06, 19:59
altho i think my cat is quite cute, i don't think i would ever want to look after animals as a job
hehehe this was exactly the answer I was expecting ;) kudos

giga191
05-05-06, 20:39
i'd rather stay a noob, and laugh when i pwn you all

Terayon
07-05-06, 02:08
I dont think pc's are unstable... I mean my friends computer hasent been turned off for 48 days until he wanted to try new drivers for bf2. I dont realy like macs for alot of reasons. Mostly becouse nothing supports them and they are way to expensive. Also becouse the one time i have used a mac, it constantly crashed on me while i was typing out an essay.

Dribble Joy
07-05-06, 03:12
48 days? My comp was only switched off three months ago because I went home for 3 days and I didn't have any long term torrents running.
Only restarted it last week because Baldur's Gate II suddenly decided to blue screen.

A completely 'secure' comp can still be butt fucked by viruses and hackers anyway. Like allready said, Macs are probably as vulnerable as some PCs, just there's no benefit in going after them yet.

Apocalypsox
07-05-06, 03:43
i could still have run into your house with an axe and given your PC a wack....that's the new future of hacking

ROFL /signed

*gets a giant axe*

Koshinn
07-05-06, 04:08
And the reason why we're not all using macs is because of microsofts agressive strategies, and their stealing/buying of technology and ideas from other companies.

Actually, no, it's because Jobs made a huge mistake early on. He didn't allow any other company to produce apple clones and use mac os. On the other hand, we had PCs made by several companies all running windows or unix. Competition lowered prices for PCs, so guess what happened in a capitalist society? The cheaper, just as effective products won the day. That was until Microsoft and Apple made an agreement where Microsoft would put in $150 million into Apple and Apple would allow Windows apps on their OS.

jini
07-05-06, 06:56
Actually, no, it's because Jobs made a huge mistake early on. He didn't allow any other company to produce apple clones and use mac os. On the other hand, we had PCs made by several companies all running windows or unix. Competition lowered prices for PCs, so guess what happened in a capitalist society? The cheaper, just as effective products won the day. That was until Microsoft and Apple made an agreement where Microsoft would put in $150 million into Apple and Apple would allow Windows apps on their OS.
Who are we, to criticise Job's decision? what's the product you have produced so far Kosh? Because as we speak Job's stands amongst the IT community as one of the most respected ones. Apple is the leader in many many technologies, and all of you benefit from this. Microsoft is only a OS maker and nothing more. Microsoft, was never a hardware maker on its own, besides some keyboards... What are you comparing here???
Jobs at some point decided to let other manufacturers design his products, but it was such a great failure, a disaster and quickly he retreated from this move.
Personally I dont believe in the "cheaper but better" motto. And in our consumer society not all manufacturers believe its good to allow others to manufacture for them.
Gates is something else. He was only designing s/w and so he wanted for his OS to spread, and he made it. So we have this disease now spread and manufacturers make all sorts of controversial things incompatible to one another which crashes the OS. PCs not crashing for 3 months?? Yea sure.
There is just NO way a PC can last using the same XP partition/s/w for more than 6 months w/o having to reinstall everything.

When I'm telling my experiences to friends using PCs stupid questions like: what kind of hardware do you use? what software? what driver? is what I hear. Well the answer is That I use whatever I want because this is how a PC/XP is built right? Yet it fails. You guys are all controversial even in that simple point.

Things are quite easy for me tho: I have both platforms in my desk at the same time. Results: Mac OSX IS stable for 1.5 years now. ALL my business/office work is going thru there safely.
PC only plays games and yet it still manages to crash. By the way, some applications do tend to crash in Mac (not very often but they do), but the system NEVER collapses, never has for 1.5 years. I never shutdown the system, it only "sleeps" and when i need it its back on in less than a sec!!!

peace

Edit: btw, did anybody see this new magnetic plug for recharging Mac laptops? This is the kind of innovation I'm speaking of. Expect to see these floating around from hp and others soon...

giga191
07-05-06, 11:30
my PC never crashes...
maybe you guys just play too much nc :lol:

Scanner Darkly
07-05-06, 13:04
On the plus side of manufacturing (handpicking) it's own hardware, Apple OS .. is supposedly stable and not plagued by the problems the Windows family has had. By locking down the hardware to a narrow and predetermined list, the Apple OS only needs to support certain hardware, not falling into the universal quagmire of Windoze which helps with the stadility. Never mind the fact that OS X seems to employ technologies plenty ahead of Win XP...

Of course this seems to be changing with Intel based hardware. Also if the ads I 've been seeing flying around my screen are anything to go by, the new Powerbook is being marketed as a tri-OS machine: OS X, Windows and Linux :eek:

Watch out Bill Gates :lol:

Makes me sound like an Apple fanboi, but the only Apple product I ever owned was an iPod :)

edit: link to said magical racharge plug please?

jini
07-05-06, 16:01
PCs have better chances not to crash if they are branded under hp or Dell (even though Im not sure), but then again, even h/w is carefully picked what about Xp and its vulnerabilities? I guess you will most likely still see the BSoD.

Here you are matey, enjoy and admire innovation: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html
By the way, I know what such a plug means, because in mine laptop I have tripped more than once, and now, one of it's hinges is permanently damaged :(

P.S. : yes ALL intel Macs now can run in a separate XP partition, so you get the whole world in one move.

Scanner Darkly
07-05-06, 16:44
Ah that is a pretty cool innovation, I'm pretty cable trip-happy too.

What I was trying to say in my long winded way: Apple design both their OS and hardware - OS is (was) taylor made to a specific range of hardware and did not have to be as "universal" in hardware support as Windows.

Also OSX was not the hybrid system that Microsoft is still pushing, with none of that DOS legacy and Windows 95-98 (DOS piggybacked iirc), so again less horrible core code to deal with.

My little-big problem with Apple is their stupid branding: "iLife, iSex, iSigh" - this whole "Hay computers are fluffy cuddly things" - look we made them so pretty, animate everything, lots of pointless frills (okay a lot of these can be turned off, but they still kinda annoy me).

Then again I guess they are pretty stunning to look at, then again it's a computer not a girlfriend (for me at least).

Sorry, don't want this to turn into a whole Macs vs PCs debate - they both have their merits.

Oh and Dells: having worked as a IT support officer at a department full of Dells, let me tell you, they BSoD just fine! Cheap, nasty pieces of horse product!!1

Better now :angel:

Koshinn
07-05-06, 18:11
Who are we, to criticise Job's decision? what's the product you have produced so far Kosh? Because as we speak Job's stands amongst the IT community as one of the most respected ones. Apple is the leader in many many technologies, and all of you benefit from this.

Who are we, to criticise Gates? What's the product you have produced so far, Jini? Because as we speak, Gates is the richest man in the world. Microsoft is the absolute leader in operating systems, office software and is doing very very well in the console gaming area (but not in Japan).

Microsoft is only a OS maker and nothing more. Microsoft, was never a hardware maker on its own, besides some keyboards... What are you comparing here???

MSN (an ISP), Access, Communicator, Excel, FrontPage, InfoPath, Live Meeting, Microsoft Office Live, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, Small Business Accounting, Visio, Word... Visual Studio which includes many IDEs... They've made many things such as mice, keyboards (which you've mentioned), webtv... oh, and the Xbox and Xbox360. So what's this about Microsoft only making OSs and never going into hardware?

Jobs at some point decided to let other manufacturers design his products, but it was such a great failure, a disaster and quickly he retreated from this move.
Jobs didn't leave Apple actually, he was fired because he tried to take over the company by sending the CEO off to China and taking over in his absence.

PCs not crashing for 3 months?? Yea sure.
There is just NO way a PC can last using the same XP partition/s/w for more than 6 months w/o having to reinstall everything.

I've had my computer for 3 years without crashing on the same partition and I've never reinstalled windows xp, and I've only reinstalled applications when I had to delete them to free up some HD space.

That new magnetic plug is a good idea though. It's the same reason why everyone says not to screw in cables into the back of your computer even though it comes with threaded holes and screws.

I can't believe I'm defending Microsoft... I don't like Apple or Microsoft better, but I'd take WinXP over OSX86 any day. And I have a problem when someone makes hugely biased statements and no one speaks up for the other side. But the interesting thing is that Apple and Microsoft are totally opposite ends of the technology spectrum. They don't even see eachother as competitors really, it's the masses with their strange devotions to either Windows or Mac (or Linux) that make this a "religious war" of sorts. Oh well. By the way, if anyone's interested, not only can you run WinXP on Intel Macs, you can run OSX86 on PCs now. Anyway, /rant off.

Dribble Joy
07-05-06, 18:31
Gates realised before anyone did, that software was the key. Everyone was fussing over hardware and didn't notice untill to late that they were all running his programs. That's why Windows is everywhere and it's only recently that other formats are making a 'comeback'.

aKe`cj
07-05-06, 18:40
[...] They don't even see eachother as competitors really, it's the masses with their strange devotions to either Windows or Mac (or Linux) that make this a "religious war" of sorts.

well spoken .. apart from that very last bit.
There are many areas where they are immediate competitors - especially concerning the consumer media services as well as the dtp/design market. There is a reason why most of the companies I've been to rely on mac's rather than windows (although I prefer to run winXP on my priv sys)... or take a step away from workstations / pc's and consider the pocket hardware - this market was largely dominated by apple ..although now it looks like Microsoft succeeds in establishing Win CE/Mobile as the prime pocket OS, this is a good example for a market where both companies were & are competitors.

In my opinion, neither mac's nor IBM's are superior - it depends on your needs & preferences. For some tasks I favour the apple, for others, I don't.

jini
08-05-06, 06:45
Gates realised before anyone did, that software was the key. Everyone was fussing over hardware and didn't notice untill to late that they were all running his programs. That's why Windows is everywhere and it's only recently that other formats are making a 'comeback'.
This is changing a lot with the internet and web services. Anyway you still need a good machine to run your software on. I never said anything about M$s software. It's only XP i hate, with all its flaws that lead to crashes and frustration.
As far as I am concerned, Macs should have prevailed long time if they weren't that expensive back then. On the other hand you most precious rich man in the world, in the largest company of the world, cant issue his promised OS, Vista in time. Vista was supposed to come out in the 05's, then in the 06's and now it is said in '07. We will see when it's out and what it will have to offer.
I have forgotten his attempt with the xbox indeed, but mice? keyboards? bleh.
They are not competitors at the moment, plus there are rumours that apple can help windowz by providing what they lack: a stable platform that is. Google seems his closest competitor, because it attacks his main productline through web services with products like office and more, with the added benefit of communications. Unfortunately for him, he already used his "get out of jail card" already against netscape, so he can't do anything against Google anymore but wait and pray.
Web services are, for me the future.
As an end user I want something easy that works. My own experience and most of this world's is that sadly, PCs tend to crash/reset catch virus/spyware/other attacks